Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Grumman Campaign
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Joel.
I airbrushed the bird with Model Master enamel and I am happy with the finish but I find that the camera flash makes it look a lot lighter than I would have liked, but then again the real aircraft seems to have had various shades of blue applied over time.

Richard,
A glossy dark paint job really reflects the light of a flash especially if the flash is on the camera. The end result as you found out is a much lighter tone.

I'm assuming that you have at least a basic editing program. You can do a few things to help decrease the problem with your next set of pictures. Move further back from the subject, then crop the image. Also take one shot with the the flash as normal, then retake the picture with a white tissue over it to help soften the light. If you have Exposure Compensation, you could use -.03 or -.05 and see how that works out.

Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 12:39 PM UTC
Thanks Joel I will try your tips.
I need to get a stand alone flash which will make a big difference.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Joel I will try your tips.
I need to get a stand alone flash which will make a big difference.

Richard,
Me too. I've been promising myself for years to get a dedicated off the camera flash for my Nikon D90, but as usual I haven't gotten past the planning stage.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC
I just posted the latest update to my A-6E build in my build blog in the Cold War Forum. Please stop by and take a look.

I've completed the Canopy, bombs, pylons, MERs.

Joel

scribbles101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi all,
I know it has been a while since the duck was finished, but I have been away for a couple of weeks, anyway - joel, I think I will indeed attempt a second build for this campaign, I have a Northrop Grumman A-7A Corsair 2 in 1:48, if that qualifies for the campaign that is, given that it is a NORTHROP Grumman, not a purely Grumman aircraft
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
I know it has been a while since the duck was finished, but I have been away for a couple of weeks, anyway - joel, I think I will indeed attempt a second build for this campaign, I have a Northrop Grumman A-7A Corsair 2 in 1:48, if that qualifies for the campaign that is, given that it is a NORTHROP Grumman, not a purely Grumman aircraft

Simon,
The issue isn't that of the Company name:Northrop Grumman, but rather that the A7 Corsair 11 was originally designed and built by Vought, which later was bought out and became the Ling-Temco-Vought (LTV) Corp. LTV was was then purchased by Northrop and the Carlyle Group, each owning roughly 50% of the company. The company today is owned by The Carlyle group. Northrop Grummans filed for and received a U.S. federal trademark registration for the rights to the name: A-7A CORSAIR II. Hence, the name on your model box.

So unfortunately, the A7 Corsair 11 doesn't qualify for the Grumman Campaign, even though Northrop Grummans in partnership purchased the company that did originally design and build the aircraft.

Joel

scribbles101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC
Ok, no worries then, cheers Joel, unfortunately I do not have any other Grumman aircraft in my stash. So I'm done in terms of building
Oh well I will continue to watch the builds progress, all are looking fantastic by the way guys, keep it up!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, no worries then, cheers Joel, unfortunately I do not have any other Grumman aircraft in my stash. So I'm done in terms of building
Oh well I will continue to watch the builds progress, all are looking fantastic by the way guys, keep it up!

Thank you for understanding my decision. You could always buy another kit as just about every Grumman plane has been kitted in 1/72 & 1/48 scale by numerous companies.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC
Well, I finally finished the A-6E Intruder this morning, and as has been my custom I've posted the bakers dozen finished pictures in my build blog in the Cold War Forum. To say that this has been the most challenging build I've had since coming back into the hobby, would be an understatement. But in the end, the finished model is the one I'm most proud of on my display shelves.

Please when you have a chance, stop by the Cold War forum to view all the pictures.
Joel

MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whew, caught a break... I'll get my pics up one of these days but I plan on building the Eduard F6F-3 kit # 8221 in 1:48. It is from a few years ago and doesn't say but I would call it a profipack. I'm pretty excited as it's my first Eduard in 1:48 and my first real PE. I've done a bit before just not this much on 1 kit.

I am planning on doing the markings of Lt. Alexander Vraciu of VF-6 from the kit decals. I am having a hard time finding out if this plane had the centerline fuel tank. Anybody know?

Thanks, Andy

Andy,

I think all -3s were plumbed for drop tanks, so I suspect Vraciu would have carried one if a particular mission called for it and not if it didn't. Up to you, I'd say.

Michael
Cam
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 01:47 PM UTC
I have been beating my head against the wall with some minute photo-etch on the Bronco 6lb gun and need a break so what better way than do an airplane. I will be doing a FAA Wildcat VI using the Hobby Boss FM-2 Wildcat. I hope it qualifies, built by General Motors but the prototype design was by Grumman.
WARLORD
HISTORICUS FORMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
AeroScale: 100 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 10:15 PM UTC
Progress is not big. Starting work on fuselage as work on engine and most of the interior is finished.

MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 11:57 PM UTC
Beautiful work Joel!

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been beating my head against the wall with some minute photo-etch on the Bronco 6lb gun and need a break so what better way than do an airplane. I will be doing a FAA Wildcat VI using the Hobby Boss FM-2 Wildcat. I hope it qualifies, built by General Motors but the prototype design was by Grumman.

Cam,
Welcome to our Grumman Campaign.

Your FM-2 Wilcat built by Eastern Aircraft Div certainly does qualify.

During 1942, General Motors converted several of its east coast plants to aircraft production using the incorporated name of Eastern Aircraft Division. They received contracts to build F4F Wildcat fighters and TBF Avenger torpedo planes, which freed up Grumman to concentrate on the F6F Hellcat fighter at it's Bethpage plants.

I'm looking forward to following your build here.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful work Joel!

Michael

Michael,
Thank you very much for your compliments.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:32 AM UTC
Marcin,
Excellent start with the cockpit, engine area, and the engine itself. This does look like it's going to be a very interesting build.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:39 AM UTC
To date there have been a few Grumman Campaign builds finished including my A-6E. When I posted my required two pictures in the Grumman Campaign Gallery, they were the only pictures there. The campaign rules require that you post two completed pictures of your build to qualify for the campaign ribbon. This isn't just a Grumman Campaign procedure, but one that is required for all campaigns.

I've pm'd all the finished builds at that time reminding them of this requirement, but to date no one has posted their pictures. Please do so at your earliest convenience. If anyone needs me to re-post the rather complex manner to find and then post your pictures in the Gallery. please let me know.

Thanks,
Joel
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi Joel,
thanks for the reminder, hadn't so much time recently, but here are my pictures.
Don't worry, I'll put them into the gallery after finishing this post
Thanks for the fantastic campaign and I hope to see some more pictures of finished models, too. BTW, your Intruder is amazing!
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 07:02 AM UTC

Cheers to everybody, keep going!
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
AeroScale: 130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 09:57 AM UTC
well heres a small update dive brake is on and front landing gear almost finished installing. landing gear doors on front also installed.

over all did not have any real fit issues so far am enjoying the build.

Sascha(ironowl)
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC
Peter,
Congratulations on a excellent build. Your Hawkeye came out great.

Joel
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
Joel: your photos did not show on my computer at work, but I know it looks good.

Peter: Ditto what Joel stated,I love the colors also on your E2.

Sascha: no issues make me want to try this kit.

Bob
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers to everybody, keep going!

beautiful! Nice work on the cockpit glass. 1/144 builders know this is a major obstacle.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 12:42 PM UTC
Some beautiful modeling going on. My camera memory card is giving me issues. Work on my Academy F14 is progressing and I hope to have some photos posted soon.
Cam
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
Ready to trap the cockpit between the fuselage sides. It's been quit q while since I built an airplane that did not come without at least a decal for the instrument panel.