Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Grumman Campaign
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 07:30 PM UTC
Slowly coming along with the cockpit have had to add back bits I have cut off but it's coming together. In the second pic I tied another way of adding depth to the flat PE, using a toothpick I carefully put thick Gator Grip glue all along the circumference of the trim wheel I think it came out well will no for sure once I paint it. I also decided to make the flare holders as the molded on ones don't look anything like them. And I found one picture in Detail & Scale of a bomb that looks like the kit bomb it's only described as being a fire bomb.

Cheers Rob.

PrickleHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 10:03 PM UTC
Restarting this with Eduards F6F-5N

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 02:10 AM UTC
Rob,
Your cockpit is coming along quite nicely. I really like your idea of adding mass and shape to PE parts as needed, as it's one of my pet peeves with the flatness of PE. In a lot of cases it just doesn't work. I've been using kit and spare plastic parts where I felt that it would workout better. Your method adds another option that I already see plenty of uses for.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 02:12 AM UTC
Stephan,
Excellent choice. It's a great kit with a lot of detail. Looking forward to your build.
Joel
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob,
Your cockpit is coming along quite nicely. I really like your idea of adding mass and shape to PE parts as needed, as it's one of my pet peeves with the flatness of PE. In a lot of cases it just doesn't work. I've been using kit and spare plastic parts where I felt that it would workout better. Your method adds another option that I already see plenty of uses for.
Joel

Thanks Joel!
I agree, I like using PE but sometimes you want something in between the kit part and the PE part. I have tried CA and Future before to varying degrees of success but I think this is the best so far. I do want to try the new thinner Gator Grip as I think that may be easier to work with.

The flare holder came out good and the trim wheel and knobs have a bit more beef to them.

Cheers Rob.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 01:15 AM UTC
Rob,
Looking real good. I think that the trim wheel came out perfect. Don't forget that at best it will be viewed from a angle greater then 45 degrees downward, while right now, with the cockpit under construction, one is looking at it head on. I'm guilty of the same false thinking, and have to force myself at times to change my perspective, which is very hard to do.
Joel
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 01:15 PM UTC
I agree Joel, it looks better from above.

Cheers Rob.
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 05:54 PM UTC
I added some wires and a microphone to the radio and finished the seat-belts. I added a bit better pic to show the trim wheel and knobs and how the Gator Grip added to the depth.

Cheers Rob.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 02:36 AM UTC
Rob,
The radio wire really looks good. And the trim wheel viewed from the top down, as we would see it in the finished model, has a solid 3 dimensional look to it. I'd say that your method works extremely well.
Joel
WARLORD
HISTORICUS FORMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
AeroScale: 100 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 07:11 AM UTC
On top of fuselage is one of two attachment point that would be visible after assembly (the second one is on cowling).

As it appeared more difficult was to achieve perfect cut on tail part

Fit of fuselage elements so far is really good

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 08:29 AM UTC
Marcin,
I've been following your build with a great deal of interest, as the Attack F8F-1 Bearcat is about as difficult a build with a multi piece fuselage as one can get. So far your build is outstanding. The cockpit/fuselage section really looks well done.

Cutting out all those sections must be very time consuming and rather difficult. I can attest to the fact that I have difficulties trying to cut a straight line when just separating tires or scoops from their resin blocks.

Looking forward to your next update.
Joel
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 06:50 PM UTC
Thanks Joel!
I am happy the way the cockpit turned out, here are some more pics as you won't see much once installed. I managed to get the fuse together but in the process I pushed in the rear of both side windows that left me the trouble of figuring out how to push them back, at first I tried a knife and a small strip of brass but that just scratched them so what I did to fix them was drill holes in either side of the fuse so I could insert fine piano wire to push them back and use CA to glue them that worked and a little filler and the holes disappear. also got the wings on the exhaust drilled out as well as the guns.

Cheers Rob.

rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

Continuing the work, the engine is ready. It's the Quickboost resin direct replacement for the one inbox. Tbh the detail is very good but I am not sure if it's that much better than the native plastic option.

[/url]

[/url]

Added those rods and tried to catch a genuine look. The photo doesn't quite catch the colors I'm afraid.

The Wildcat is basically almost ready to start the paint job, which I did on the elevators, painted with Vallejo US Blue Grey on the upper surfaces. The shade looks spot on. A first weathering is applied since i want to try to get the best method for this camo.

[/url]

[/url]

Cheers
Pedro
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 07:59 AM UTC
Pedro,
The Quickboost engine looks fantastic.
Joel
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 08:07 PM UTC
Rob, outstanding work on the cockpit. Almost a pity to cover it up.

Beautiful engine, Pedro. Looks great!
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
AeroScale: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 11:25 PM UTC
Having some decal issues with the panther hopefully the new ones should be here shortly.

the work going on ii here is top notch builds are all really looking great

Sascha(Ironowl)
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having some decal issues with the panther hopefully the new ones should be here shortly.

the work going on ii here is top notch builds are all really looking great

Sascha(Ironowl)

Sascha,
What issues are you having with the kit decals? Whose decals did you get?
Joel
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
AeroScale: 130 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 10:53 AM UTC
ah the decal issues were my big fingers lol the "new" decals are the exact same ones that come in the kit a friend bought the same kit to use as a test bed for painting and is sending me the set of decals he had.

Sascha(Ironowl)
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ah the decal issues were my big fingers lol the "new" decals are the exact same ones that come in the kit a friend bought the same kit to use as a test bed for painting and is sending me the set of decals he had.

Sascha(Ironowl)

Talk about lucking out. That never happens to me. On the last two builds, I've had to buy 2 sheets of the AM decals due to builders stupidity.
Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 08:06 AM UTC
Built entirely in a hotel room, it mostly looks like a Bearcat.

Now I just gotta get it home in 1 piece....
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC
Mark,
Looking good.

Without the gear I see no reason why it won't survive the trip home. I sure have to hand it to you to actually build models while away on business. I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to do it.
Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 08:08 PM UTC
It's a sanity thing. There's about 6 English language channels in the hotel, CNN, CNBC, Discovery, the Soccer Channel, a Movie Channel and a features channel. There's only so many shark shows, 10 year old movies (oh Speed is 20 years old, and they showed it twice this weekend), soccer highlights or back issues of the voice/amazing race/scripted reality show that you can watch.

It's not easy, you can't bring enamel paints and thinners, most glues are flammable and not allowed on the plane. Same with super glue. So its' all acrylic paints and non flammable glues.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 08:13 PM UTC
Mark, are there no hobby shops locally that would have the essentials that you could pick up when ever out of town? Cant help with the entertainment other than taking a portable dvd player and some dvds.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 02:38 AM UTC
There is one true hobby shop, he's about a half hour away by taxi. I spent 3 or 4 hours over there on Saturday chatting with local modelers. There's a big display and contest this weekend, but I'm flying home Saturday morning.... There's a Gundam shop in the mall across the street. He does sell Gunze paints and Tamiya glues. His prices on supplies are about the same as back home. It's just a bit silly to buy a $5-6 bottle of glue, use it for a few days and then throw it away.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is one true hobby shop, he's about a half hour away by taxi. I spent 3 or 4 hours over there on Saturday chatting with local modelers. There's a big display and contest this weekend, but I'm flying home Saturday morning.... There's a Gundam shop in the mall across the street. He does sell Gunze paints and Tamiya glues. His prices on supplies are about the same as back home. It's just a bit silly to buy a $5-6 bottle of glue, use it for a few days and then throw it away.

Mark,
When you think about it, the $5 isn't so much, and it's letting you build like you do at home.

Joel