Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Grumman Campaign
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 11:02 AM UTC
Joel thanks for the advice on the apron. I had seen the post some time ago re: using an apron to catch those pesky flying things, but I did not remember the detach before moving. Thanks.

And I just put the cowl on:

Bob
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 11:22 AM UTC
Bob,
Looking good.

You would have remembered one way or the other. Most likely just after you got up.
Joel
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 11:40 AM UTC
Joel, a little help please I do not remember how to post to the campaign gallery. I an upload a photo to kitmaker and I know how to use photobucket to post to the thread, I just cannot get a photo into any campaign gallery. Do you have any advice?

Bob
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, a little help please I do not remember how to post to the campaign gallery. I an upload a photo to kitmaker and I know how to use photobucket to post to the thread, I just cannot get a photo into any campaign gallery. Do you have any advice?

Bob

Bob,
Are you posting your finished F6F?

For the Gallery you upload it directly from your computer. You 1st need to resize the pictures to 1024x768 max, then go to to the proper gallery (Grumman Campaign), and upload. You'll have navigate to the correct path on your computer to find the picture, but once it's uploaded, you can move it or delete from.

To get to the correct Galley follow this path:
Gallery tab on main screen
Aeroscale
Aeroscale Campaigns
2014 campaigns
Grumman Aircraft

Joel

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:02 PM UTC
Thanks Joel, it was for two other campaigns that I just finished. And believe it or not I got mad and finally figured it out. I just need to post more often to remember.

Again thanks for the help.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:18 PM UTC
And Bob, remember size matters.... If it's too big the gallery just smiles at you and does nothing. Has to be small, under a few megabytes (or less) before it will accept it. Try reducing the 'resolution' to 640 x 480 or so.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Joel, it was for two other campaigns that I just finished. And believe it or not I got mad and finally figured it out. I just need to post more often to remember.

Again thanks for the help.

Bob

Bob,
No problem. Glad I could help.

To be perfectly blunt about it, I've been one of the more vocal ones calling for the removable of the current Gallery section. Direct upload vs clouding, difficult to get to, separate sign in, very hard to navigate once there, no way to delete old pictures, eventually you will run out of gallery space, and the biggie is that almost no one ever goes there. So what's the point of having it?

If they're going to keep a separate gallery for each member, which would be a good thing, then have it as part of Aeroscale, and let the other sites have their own galleries. Posting to it should be exactly like we post to the forums using a cloud host. Then we would be able to delete, add as we wish or need to.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And Bob, remember size matters.... If it's too big the gallery just smiles at you and does nothing. Has to be small, under a few megabytes (or less) before it will accept it. Try reducing the 'resolution' to 640 x 480 or so.

Mark,
I'm pretty sure that 1024x768 is the max resolution to successfully upload to the Galleries.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:23 PM UTC
I'll try that next time. I've been resizing all of my Photobucket stuff to the 640 range for posting here and elsewhere.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll try that next time. I've been resizing all of my Photobucket stuff to the 640 range for posting here and elsewhere.

Mark,
I've been using Photobucket forever. 1024x768 is their max upload resolution before their compression program auto kicks in. I also took their plus 20 storage upgrade for $2.99/month, which gives me 22 GB of storage. I have nearly 500 pictures uploaded which is 0.41%, so I'll die before I run out of space or need to delete any pictures. All my pictures are uploaded at 1024x768. I also get unlimited bandwidth per month, which means that I can post all the pictures everywhere I want, and never run out of monthly bandwidth, which I use to do cross posting builds.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:51 PM UTC
Haven't been using it all that long. I do have well over 800 pics up there some re-sized, most not. Using up about 12% of my free space so I haven't felt the need to upgrade (OK, call me cheap).
PrickleHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 09:32 PM UTC
Am starting my Eduard F6F-3

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 11:48 PM UTC
PrickleHead: I am finding this Eduard F6F kit really easy to construct. The weight was surprising though, kind of heavy which I like. I will be watching your build with interest.

Bob
PrickleHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PrickleHead: I am finding this Eduard F6F kit really easy to construct. The weight was surprising though, kind of heavy which I like. I will be watching your build with interest.

Bob

Hey Bob

I spent an afternoon on it and got all the sub assemblies done and it is falling together nicely. Havent noticed the weight yet.

Cheers

Stephen
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Haven't been using it all that long. I do have well over 800 pics up there some re-sized, most not. Using up about 12% of my free space so I haven't felt the need to upgrade (OK, call me cheap).

Mark,
By no means is that being cheap. If you don't need it, why buy it. That's just using your smarts.

The free account has just 2 MB of storage. I was also in my active freshwater fishing days posting a ton of fishing pictures per trip. I literally started to run out of space so I was always deleting the older pictures. The down side to this is that when other list members search for threads needed for specific information related to aircraft modeling, they end up with a thread filled with little boxes saying that the pictures have been deleted, making that thread basically useless. More then once that has been what I've found using the archives on several sites.

But the big issue for me was the monthly allotment of usable bandwidth. Every time I posted a picture including the same picture multiple times, it used up a small portion of my allotment. By the tail end of some of my more active building months, as I cross post my builds, I had used all of it, so I couldn't post any pictures till the next month. The way I was getting around it was using another cloud service, which was a real pain to do.

The solution for me was more monthly bandwidth. Photobucket has several upgrades, the Plus 20 is their next step up for $2.99/month. I get an additional 20 MB of storage for 22 MB total, and unlimited bandwidth. For someone like me who posts a lot on two forums, it made a lot of sense.

Joel
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 02:28 PM UTC
Joel,
I agree with you about the posts with the X's being useless that is one of my pet peeves with the site.
I got around it by becoming a subscriber now not only am I supporting the site I have lots of storage for pictures.
I also use PhotoRazor to re-size all my pics, I find that it does an excellent job of making the file size small while keeping the photo large and of good quality!

Cheers Rob.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
I agree with you about the posts with the X's being useless that is one of my pet peeves with the site.
I got around it by becoming a subscriber now not only am I supporting the site I have lots of storage for pictures.
I also use PhotoRazor to re-size all my pics, I find that it does an excellent job of making the file size small while keeping the photo large and of good quality!

Cheers Rob.

Rob,
I had to go back and re-read Jim's original post about the contractions, as I thought it was all punctuation. I let it go at that, but it's not just that. I, and others have issues with notifications from threads with no contractions. The software is just screwed up. Like most other members this isn't my only modeling site, ARC is where I spend most of my time. It's much larger in size & scope, and has 3 or 4 times the membership base. Everything works perfectly. I had a post issue, pm'd the forum Mod, and within 48 hrs it was taken care of. Can't do that here as some of the forums have Mods that are no longer active or rarely stop by. A mod should visit and be active in their forums on a regular basis. I'll just let it go at that.

I'm a consistent contributor. I'm one of their most active posters. Jim has plenty of sponsorship, so asking for a donation to become subscriber is absolutely something I feel strongly against. Almost no one uses their gallery these days unless it's to post pictures of finished campaign models because it's required.

The Gallery should be a forum listed with the other forums for members finished models, not build pictures. It should be as easy to navigate as any forum here. Unfortunately, its' not, and posting to is is a nightmare for newbies because I get pm's on how to do it from time to time. The last one was two days ago.

Other benefits like changing the country or military service for your insignia ranking is next to meaningless. Who even looks at that stuff after a while? I do look at the information of posters I'm not familiar with, not their ranking designations.

For resizing pictures I've been using PIXresizer for more then 10 years. I could use one of my Nikon programs, but old habits are hard to change.

Joel
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC
1/48 Eduard F6F-3 + Wolfpack wing fold

Back from a two week self-imposed break after continuing paint issues had me peeved. The Floquil Reefer White and my Iwata do NOT agree with each other, despite stripping and repainting the entire thing already. I laid down a base and had the same issues pop up again so this time I'm just touching it up with Tamiya white and moving on. I have never had issues with any other brand of white so I am assuming the issue lies with the paint and not me or my brush.

I should get back to work on the Hellcat this weekend.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Back from a two week self-imposed break after continuing paint issues had me peeved. The Floquil Reefer White and my Iwata do NOT agree with each other, despite stripping and repainting the entire thing already. I laid down a base and had the same issues pop up again so this time I'm just touching it up with Tamiya white and moving on. I have never had issues with any other brand of white so I am assuming the issue lies with the paint and not me or my brush.

Paul,
I'm betting you're 100% correct. Just seems that any other explanation doesn't work.
Joel
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul,
I'm betting you're 100% correct. Just seems that any other explanation doesn't work.
Joel

PAUL, that does sound like a mgf issue to me. I had the same problem with Tamiya many years ago and their thinner. But I am waiting to see your F6F.

Bob
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi everybody,
after a fine holiday in the US of A I'm back at the bench and finished my E-2C Hawkeye today.
Here are two pictures, will make some better ones at the weekend to put them in the gallery.
Cheers
Pete

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 08:21 AM UTC
Peter,
Congratulations on crossing the finish line. Just a great looking Hawkeye. The decals on the radar dome is tremendous. Well done.
Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 11:14 AM UTC
Almost ready to decal:-

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 12:03 PM UTC
Richard,
Looking smooth a silk.
Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks Joel.
I airbrushed the bird with Model Master enamel and I am happy with the finish but I find that the camera flash makes it look a lot lighter than I would have liked, but then again the real aircraft seems to have had various shades of blue applied over time.