Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Grumman Campaign
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 - 09:58 AM UTC
Cam,

Your F4F cockpit really looks great, especially those seatbelts and harnesses.
Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 03:22 AM UTC
Revell came through. They replaced my missing LG door. They sent a sprue with both inner doors, the seat and the post for the display stand.

Thanks folks!!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Revell came through. They replaced my missing LG door. They sent a sprue with both inner doors, the seat and the post for the display stand.

Thanks folks!!

Mark,
WTG!!
Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 07:55 AM UTC
well it took over 3 months, but I'm still going to celebrate it as a win.
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 02:34 PM UTC
I was going to do this:

But my PE has not arrived so I am doing the Mark I from this:

I am not totally happy with the PE the white is faded and does not stand out enough, I did fix it a bit with a pin. I also lost a tiny piece from the throttle and it did not show up till I stopped looking for it.

Cheers Rob.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 05:53 AM UTC
Rob,
The cockpit sections look very good, especially the IP. My question is the color for the pit. Were the MK I & IIs cockpits painted the standard British Interior Green, or were they delivered with the USN standard Interior Green color? I never gave that any real thought before now.
Joel
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 02:00 PM UTC
Joel,
I am just matching them to the color PE, I don't want to try and change that.

Cheers Rob.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 08:29 PM UTC
It doesnt seem much but Ive started decorating the Panam Trust Territory Albatross.

I cut that cheetline stripe freehand, and it kind of shows.
It also revels a problem with the window locations on the model. next time I do this kit, I think Ill just fill in the windows and draw them on with decals.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 04:53 AM UTC
Jonathan,
So far so good. The wing walkway really looks quite good.
Joel
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 05:15 PM UTC
I could use some help, This is the bomb that came with the Eduard F6F3 Hellcat and I am not sure what that is on the nose of the bomb.

Cheers Rob.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I could use some help, This is the bomb that came with the Eduard F6F3 Hellcat and I am not sure what that is on the nose of the bomb.

Cheers Rob.

Rob,
The vast majority of F6F-3's carried a 250 gal centerline fuel tank. There are two hard points on the inner wings for 250-500 lb bombs. With that being said, the F6F-3 could and rarely carried a single bomb up to 2,000 lbs on the centerline station.Every picture I've seen has the standard looking fuse. None has that weird shape in your picture.

Why not use the centerline gas tank, that nearly every Hellcat carried.
Joel
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
AeroScale: 130 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:19 AM UTC
I have made progress have finished the paint all that's left is decals

Sascha(ironowl)

update pic to be posted shortly
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:41 AM UTC

shes moving along should be able to finish tonight I hope

sascha(ironowl)
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
It's very hard to tell what color Glossy Sea Blue you used as the flash changes the color from front to back. I'm pretty sure that FS15042 "glossy sea blue is correct.

Joel
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
sorry about that the old paint I used had a hand written on a blank label USN SEA BLUE (Plane)? picked it up at a lot sale a few years ago and had just enough to use on this one kit the flash on my camera is killer sometimes I get clear shots and sometimes it'll blind you as for the plane there is a lot of dust I haven't cleaned off her yet am having fun with this simple kit straight oob
the Darker tone is the correct one.
Sascha(Ironowl)
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 01:08 PM UTC
Joel,
I have lots of ordnance in the stash I just wanted to know why the kit bombs are like this, both 250 and 500 weird.

Cheers Rob.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
I have lots of ordnance in the stash I just wanted to know why the kit bombs are like this, both 250 and 500 weird.

Cheers Rob.

Rob,
That's what I was trying to say. Never seen bombs like that before. Go with the centerline gas tank, your modify the kit bombs to the correct fuses. Of course chucking them out and using spares makes a lot of sense as well.
Joel
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi

Been working on my entry since last week. It's an F4F-4 from Tamiya with some PE and resin wheels. Decals will be aftermarket stuff to portrait a machine during Operation Torch.

So far so good, this is a real gem to build, and the PE fits nicely too

Here are some pics

Got to say thanks to several people in this forum that gave me some info regarding colors and cockpit floor details, namely Joel.

Cheers
Pedro
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 11:20 AM UTC
OK, let me add to the color questions. Just got in an AM engine for an F4F on another build. The instructions say to use white on the engine compartment, then I see yours in white. I had always assumed it was yellow zinc or Grumman green. How did I miss this??
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:25 PM UTC
Pedro,
Your cockpit is incredible. Simply outstanding doesn't do it justice. Same for that bulkhead. The weathering is perfect.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, let me add to the color questions. Just got in an AM engine for an F4F on another build. The instructions say to use white on the engine compartment, then I see yours in white. I had always assumed it was yellow zinc or Grumman green. How did I miss this??

Mark,
F4F-3/4 cockpits were Bronze Green which is lighter then Interior Green. Colors faded really quite fast so going a few shades lighter is also correct.

The gas tank in front of the firewall, the engine compartment, and cowling were painted Grumman Gray. Grumman Gray was a light Gray, and it varied as to what the local paint suppliers here on Long Island shipped to the Bethpage plant.
Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

varied as to what the local paint suppliers here on Long Island shipped to the Bethpage plant.

Something about a war going on I bet...

I know white paint is typical on modern aircraft in wheel wells and the like to help identify leaks. I guess it's not a 'new' idea. I've got white and a couple of grays with me over here. maybe I can come up with a good mix on the F4F.
Thearmorer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 01:27 PM UTC
Mark,
I've been following Pedro's build here with much intrest. I'm in the process of dusting off an old KMC FM2 conversion for the Tamiya F4F and in the process, came across an old ipms-usa article by Wm. Reece on USN WWII Aircraft Interiors. In it he gives FS36440 Lt. Gull Gray as a close match for "Grumman Gray", which covers all of the interior except the cockpit area. I'd suggest checking the Cybermodeler site if you don't already, they've got a pretty good color x-reference section to match different paints to the standards. But like Joel indicated, there's a lot of varience, and under a little weathering even white looks gray.

Duane
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark,
I've been following Pedro's build here with much intrest. I'm in the process of dusting off an old KMC FM2 conversion for the Tamiya F4F and in the process, came across an old ipms-usa article by Wm. Reece on USN WWII Aircraft Interiors. In it he gives FS36440 Lt. Gull Gray as a close match for "Grumman Gray", which covers all of the interior except the cockpit area. I'd suggest checking the Cybermodeler site if you don't already, they've got a pretty good color x-reference section to match different paints to the standards. But like Joel indicated, there's a lot of varience, and under a little weathering even white looks gray.

Duane

Duane,
Thanks so much for joining in. Why not sign up for the Grumman campaign as there is still more then 2 months to go.

The problem with trying to identify Grumman Gray with the correct FS number is that it was never an official Gov't standard color, and when it was used the Armed forces used ANA numbers. Lt Gull Gray or any shade or two lighter is fine. Just not white.

The Grumman historians that I knew who actually worked at the Grumman Historic center have long passed, so their 1st hand knowledge is gone, and the center is now closed.

As a side note, just try to figure out the progression of Olive Drab. It even changed shades for the Army vs the USAAF, yet the name remained the same. And to further confuse that issue, it's not a shade of Olive nor Green, but rather it's in the Brown family! Go figure.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 04:13 PM UTC
Just my luck. the ONE bottle of paint I purposely left behind was..... you guessed it, FS36440.