Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL:- Airfx III campaign
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 01:01 AM UTC
Welcome Torsten I look forward to seeing the AIrfix Hurricane come together, I'm guessing it's one of their new moulds?
RedDuster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 01:53 AM UTC
Great builds going, real a good mix of new and childhood memories.

A very small update on the Dornier, got a base coat on it,

As my "Spray booth" is the back garden I am hope it is a bit warmer tomorrow so I can get the windy stick out.

Hopefully more soon.

Si
thueser
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome Torsten I look forward to seeing the AIrfix Hurricane come together, I'm guessing it's one of their new moulds?

Yes, it's the new tooled Hurricane as a gift set. I've cut off the lid with the paints and glue for easier storage.
Cbacon84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:03 PM UTC
well im going to have to say that unless i just got a bad kit i think its time for Airfix to retire the SBD and get a new tool for the it. fit is not good. the fuselage did not align properly tail was off by about 1mm at the base and had to be trimmed. air scoop was also off so i had to trim it some. the console doesn't fit to the mold at all so there huge holes on each side only thing that has had an ok fit was the wings.

also the cockpit canopy mold was terrible. you can see where some of the panel lines would be but only about 1/5 can kind of be seen the rest of it looks smooth.

which brings me to a question. I have the cockpit canopy from my scraped hawk SBD that fits better and has the panel lines on it. would it be against campaign rules to use it rather then the airfix one that came with the kit?
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, it's the new tooled Hurricane as a gift set. I've cut off the lid with the paints and glue for easier storage.

I just bought the same gift set, but I'm saving if for the Battle of Britain campaign in a few months. The kit looks excellent btw, and with colour instructions!
thueser
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 05:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I just bought the same gift set, but I'm saving if for the Battle of Britain campaign in a few months. The kit looks excellent btw, and with colour instructions!

It's a great kit with very good fit and sufficient details. The only 'big' fault are the 4 spoke wheels. One can buy some replace ment 5 spoke wheels from CMK (as i've done) to correct this issue.
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:54 AM UTC
Not having been in my den for a week I braved the cold tonight for a short time. Imagine my horror to be faced with this

Whether it's the weather or just bad planning. What to do? well, to my rescue came Micro-Sol freely applied with a brush abd smoothed down. It worked to some extent

The panel has been drybrushed and the instrument faces filled with Glue-n-Glaze.

Onwards and downwards
beefy66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:59 PM UTC
Great work so far by everybody Tiny update from me All rigging done now to make a small base for the Cutty Sark

Keith
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:21 AM UTC
Problem solved with the instrument panel

Using Micro Sol liberally brushed on I managed to flatten the decal without too much of a misalignment of fractured parts. The instrument lenses are Glue-n-Glaze. I stuck the panel onto the front by using Humbrol Clearfix, I chose not to use this for the lenses as I find it very stringy but I do use it for other fixing jobs.

In the meantime I have descended on the new Airfix Defiant as a quick build and in 2 sessions have painted the interior, the wheel wells (just an undercoat, glued the wings together and managed to misalignn them slightly

Airfix tell one to paint the raised interior pieces Coal Black but in the review in Airfix Magazine say it should be Interior Green so I have compromised, I am using Revell Tarschwartz (Tar Black) as an undercoat and will be drybrushed over with Green. If you are wondering what the Whitish stuff is on the canopy it is a masking agent I am trying out

It is a liquid masking fluid I found at my local hobby store and comes with a fine needle applicator. It is very easily flowing so I have only tried it on flat services so far, but it looks good.

I shall not be building today as I have been otherwise engaged with a 60th Birthday, mine
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I shall not be building today as I have been otherwise engaged with a 60th Birthday, mine

Well Happy Birthday Mike!!

Michael
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:43 AM UTC
Nice video; however, I'm sure I don't stand alone in adding this to the Top 100 of things never to watch again.
Cbacon84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice video; however, I'm sure I don't stand alone in adding this to the Top 100 of things never to watch again.

Haha, understandable, They Might Be Giants are an acquired taste
beefy66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 09:21 PM UTC
congrats on your milestone year Mike

Small update playing with water to set the cutty Sark into a base

Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 01:30 AM UTC
Thank you good people for my Birthday wishes.

We now have our first frozen H2O falling this winter so the whole of Northamptonshire will grind to a halt
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 05:30 AM UTC
well, I enveloped myself un a warm fleecy and braved the cold of my garage. My empyasis tonight as been on the Defiant

So far it has been a relatively trouble free build with any errors being of my own making. I have decided to do the night fighter version as ot for a squadron based at nearby Wittering which was in Northamptonshire during WW2 and I'm a bit of a county xenophobe.

Not shown here are the seatbelts I have to add to the pilots office, I have found a set of etches for the Airfix Spifire made by Airwaves and they include spares. Just to make them easier to manipulate I have used my new Butane gas torch for the first time, it certainly cleaned any residue off.

Onwards and downwards
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 - 04:08 PM UTC
I like the new Defiant kit Mike and I look forward to seeing the mighty Spitfire Vb take shape.

I'm a little further on with the Anson I'm going with the Aussie version in a maritime camo scheme as it looked rather interesting. I've got the camo painted now, a few minor touch ups and I'm onto the decaling and weathering ... LOL wish me luck.

beefy66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 - 07:50 PM UTC
Great looking build everyone well my little project is now all done for this campaign can not seem to find the gallery for this one not sure if it is set up yet so will just put a couple up here for now.

keith
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great looking build everyone well my little project is now all done for this campaign can not seem to find the gallery for this one not sure if it is set up yet so will just put a couple up here for now.

keith

Great model Keith!
The gallery is set up! look in 2015 campaigns.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 - 08:45 PM UTC
The gallery can be found here. Nice little boat you've got there!

Michael
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 04:19 AM UTC
Today I have been working inside, the fuselage that is. Annealing the PE belts has worked wonders, conformity is great, the only problem is trying to handle them with my chunky fingers. All in all they went on quite well.

The control column is not the kit one, I had to 'relieve' it from a scrap Italeri spit IX and do a bit of judicious pruning, the reason? it is very delicate and trying to cut it out of the sprue it was broken.

Gluing the interior in place was less stressful than I thought, as soon as the front bulkhead was in place the rest was easy.

You may notice the leading edge of the wing has a misshapen landing light, it is a Superglue fill waiting to be shaped, yes, I lost one to the concrete monster. As a bit of an enhancement I have placed a couple of 2mm Little Lenses behind.

One final note, a small piece of Plasticard has been placed between the wing to give a bit of spread when the fuselage is placed onto the wing, I worry that the fuselage will not sit correctly so I'll see.

Onwards and downwards
Cbacon84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC
made some progress got most of the body done just have to finish the nose and propeller and fix the tail hook that i broke when doing some sanding.

also here's what i was talking about with the bad fit for the cockpit
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 05:49 AM UTC
Don't worry. Once you put the coke-bottle canopy on you can forget about noticing the poor fit of the interior
Cbacon84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 01:38 PM UTC
the problem is the canopy doesn't fit very well ether
thueser
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 03:20 PM UTC
Small update today.

Now on with the washes. The fit on the wings was realy bad, a lot of filling and sanding. The belts are made from lead foil.