_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Falklands War Pre-Campaign Thread
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hello everyone!

First off I want to thank the staff of Aeroscale for approving this Camapign !
This will be the Pre-Thread until the Campaign starts on August 1st. The Falklands War occurred one quarter century ago and was the first sustained Naval/Amphibious conflict since WWII. Airpower played a signifigant role for both sides and that is the focus of this build.

I hope everyone who enlists https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=207 in the campaign will contribute their experiences building their model(s) and any history behind the aircraft as it relates to the conflict. Reference material is fairly easy to find both in books and on the internet. The variety of aircraft including helicopters I hope presents something for anyone.

Operational Overview
The Falklands War occurred 25 years ago in 1982 between Argentina and the United Kingdom over the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. The Falkland Islands consist of islands in the South Atlantic Ocean east of Argentina, whose ownership has been disputed.
The war started with the occupation of South Georgia by Argentina March 19,1982 followed by invasion of the Falklands, the initial invasion was considered by Argentina as reoccupation of territory, and by Britain as an invasion of British territory.
The dispute over the islands increased on 19 March when 50 Argentines landed on the British dependency of South Georgia and raised their flag, an act that is seen as the first offensive action in the war. On 2 April, Argentina ordered the invasion of the Falkland Islands, triggering the Falklands War.
Great Britain was taken by surprise by the Argentine attack on the South Atlantic islands, but launched a naval task force to engage the Argentine Navy and Air Force, and retake the islands by amphibious assault. After the most extensive naval/air and amphibious combat since World War II with images of the fighting beamed into TV sets world wide every evening. The British were victorious on June 14th and the war was over resulting in 260 British and 650 Argentine killed.

The Rules and Regs
Any aircraft used by Great Britain or Argentina for the conflict. No restrictions on kit manufacturers and scale between 1:144 and 1/24th. Lets just build and have fun!

Here is list to assist in finding a model for the Campaign. It’s organized by manufacturers and scale. Some of these kits have decals for the Falklands War. This list should not be viewed as the final word. If anyone has other information please email me and I will add corrections or additions. It's my privilege to serve you during this Campaign.

C-130 Hercules Italeri 72/48, Airfix 72, Heller 72, Panda 144

A4 Skyhawk Hasegawa 32/48/72, Fujimi 48/72, Hobbycraft 48,
Airfix 72,

Super Entenard Airfix 48, Heller 48/72, Academy 72, Minicraft 72,

Mirage (Dagger) Academy 48, Edward 48, Hobbyboss 48, Fouderie Mini 48, Heller 48/72,
AML 72, High Planes 72, Hasegawa 72

Puccara Special Hobby 72, Gran Limited 72

Puma Airfix 72, Heller 72, Italeri 72, Revell 72,

MB339 Italeri 48, ESCI 48, Frems 48,

T-34C Czech Models 48,

Alouette Heller 48/72, Mach2 72,

Canberra Italeri 72, Airfix 72, Classic Airframes 48,

Agusta Revell 72, Italeri 72,

Iroquois UH-1H Hasegawa 72, Panda 32, Revell 32, Italeri 72,

Bell 212 Dragon 35th (future release).

Learjet 35A Hasegawa 48, Revell 48,

Harrier RN & RAF Fujimi 72, Minicraft 144, Hasegawa 48/72, Italeri 72, Airfix 24/ 48/72,
Hobby Craft 48, Tamiya 48, Aeroplast 72, MPC 1/48,

Vulcan Airfix 72,

Wessex Eastern Express 72, Italeri 72, Palva Models 72,

Sea King Hasegawa 48, Airfix 72, Fujimi 72, Heller 72,
Revell 72,

Wasp Fujimi 72,

Lynx Fujimi 72,

Boeing 707 Minicraft 144,

Chinook Airfix 72, Italeri 48/72, Revell 72,

Phantom FGR Fujimi 72, Hasegawa 48, Italeri 48/72, Revell 72,

Nimrod Airfix 72,

Victor K.2 Revell 72,

Grumman S2F Hobbycraft 72, Hasegawa 72,

PV2 Neptune Hasegawa 72, Revell 72,

Gazelle Fujimi 72, Heller 72,

In addition the following companies produce or have produced Argentine aircraft decals;

Aztec, Condor, Aerocalas, Model Alliance, Superscale.

Sincerely,
Brian
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi
Iam new to this Aeroscale site and this is going to be my first air campaign. Its probably been about 30yrs since i built an aircraft kit but the last couple of months the magazines have been full of articles on the Falklands conflict and aroused my interest again to the point were i decided i'd like to build a collection to represent the craft taking part on both sides.
So armed with some of the model articles i started researching what was out there having decided 1/72 was to be my scale due to space available. Along the way i was disappointed to come across another site that had already finished their group build but then i found this site and i was delighted to see a campaign coming up and i was hooked. Hopefully with some encouragement i will get some kits finished, my other problem not finishing kits i start.
Over the past couple of days the credit card has seen some action with orders being placed for kits books and decals, waiting until August should see a nice stash develop only trouble is iam itiching to get started.
Anyways i hope the campaign goes well and there are plenty of participants and good models to look at, mine will be at the lower end as i dont have an airbrush and only basic knowledge regarding applying decals etc so will be looking for plenty of help along the way.
cheers
peter
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 03:39 AM UTC
I will be building an Italeri 1/72 Sea Harrier for this campaign, and possibly some kind of Argentine aircraft, time permitting.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hello Peter & Tony,

Thank you for both enlisting Peter, we welcome all ages and skill level so do not fear. If you need assistance in any way feel free to ask myself or any of the other members. We are here to encourage and promote camaraderie in the hobby while getting a good dose of history at the same time.
Also I was informed that MPC also does a 1/72 (correction thats 1/48) Sea Harrier as well. For some reason the edit button has disappeared from the intro post I made.

Sincerely,
Brian
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 08:41 AM UTC
I'm definitely jumping in on this campaign.
Ive a Hobbycraft 1/48 Skyhawk in the stash and I should be able to get the Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier to go with it.
I shall also look out for the old Airfix 1/72 Westland Scout.
Andy
BTW The edit button disappears after about 24 hours.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also I was informed that MPC also does a 1/72 Sea Harrier as well. For some reason the edit button has disappeared from the intro post I made.

Hi Brian!

I still have the edit button for your first post! Tell me if I have to add something...

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi all:

Great idea this one ! I enlisted in yesterday. I´ll be building a Skyhawk A 4Q of the Argentine navy. This is the decal set:

This is the AC that I´ll represent:

Lt. Marcelo Marquez was shot down on the 21 May 1982 after the attack to the Frigate HMS Ardent.
He made two direct hits on the frigate. The bomb load was four Mk 82 500 Pounds.
Uppersides are Light Grey FS 36440 and White FS 31875 on the undersides. All the codes, nembers, anti glare panel & anchors are in Mate Black FS 37038. The Sqn. Insignia is painted over the left side only.
The National Insignia on painted ao the tail, has a yellow sun in the white band.

Three days later on 24 May, all Skyhaws were painted with a camouflage of Forest Green & Dark Tan.

:-)

Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 10:26 AM UTC
Thank you for the warm welcome, I am looking forward to participating. And per Brian's request, I will try to present an informal OOB preview/review of the 1/72 Italeri Sea Harrier within the next 24 hrs.

BTW, the MPC Sea Harrier kit is 1/48, not 1/72.

Quoted Text

Hello Peter & Tony,

Thank you for both enlisting Peter, we welcome all ages and skill level so do not fear. If you need assistance in any way feel free to ask myself or any of the other members. We are here to encourage and promote camaraderie in the hobby while getting a good dose of history at the same time.
Also I was informed that MPC also does a 1/72 Sea Harrier as well. For some reason the edit button has disappeared from the intro post I made.

Sincerely,
Brian

Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:43 PM UTC
This is my mini review of the 1/72 Italeri Sea Harrier FRS.1 kit No. 1236.

There are 75 pieces in the box, with nice engraved panel lines. Per Italeri's seemingly usual practice, the sprues are loose in the box, but the clear parts are bagged. The cockpit is basic, with a seat (which has 2 ejector pin marks that will need to be filled), control stick, pedals molded into the tub, and decals for the the instrument panel & side panels. As stated, very basic detail which could use some help. The canopy can be posed open or closed. Armament includes a pair of Sidewinders and optional Aden cannon. There are decals for three different aircraft - 2 British and 1 Indian. The instructions show 10 steps, and show the Aden cannon as an option, but do not specify for which version they are appropiate, so reference checking will be a necessity. Paint specifications are a combination of Model Master enamels and acrylics, along with some F.S. numbers.

801 Sqn. HMS Invincible, 1982 - Overall Dark Sea Grey
700A Flight, RNAS Yeovilton, 1979 - Dark Sea Grey topside, Gloss White underside
300 Squadron, INS Vikrant, Indian Navy, 1982 - same colors as above.

I can't speak for overall accuracy of the kit, but to me it looks like a Sea Harrier, and should make a pleasant 'out of box' build.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 01:01 PM UTC
Hello Everyone,

We are off to great start ! I am pleased that interest is taking hold. I was still in high school when the war occurred. I remember watching the evening news and seeing Mirages and Skyhawks low and fast over the British Fleet and some footage of the ground troops/helicopters. Its hard to believe that was 25 years ago.

Andy, thanks for the info on the "edit button" I have the Hobbycraft A-4B as well I'm looking forward to building it. Also I thought I saw a Scout on ebay if I find it again I will send you the link.

Jean-Luc, Thanks again for allowing this campaign and I would like to take your offer to update the manufacturer list for the Harriers "MPC 1/48" if and when its convienent for you.

Carlos, Welcome aboard ! Those Aztec Decals look spectactular ! I am really pleased to see that there is historical background with the decals. The Mk.82 Snakeyes mentioned opens up more ordinance possibilities between Argentine Navy and Air Force Skyhawks.

Another item of interest that I never knew about was the British also had their own sea skimming anti-ship missile it was called the "Skua" and was fired from Lynx helicopters and they managed to Damaged and scuttle an Argentine Submarine while it was in the Falklands. More and more neat stuff coming out all the time.

Sincerely,
Brian
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hi guys n Gals, I'm not sure if I'll be entering any campaigns yet as i have a back log of commissions to get out of the way first.

I Just thought you should know that if anyone is planning on doing a RAF Harrier it should be the GR3 variant as the GR7 wasn't used (or even around) during the Falklands.

Great campaign idea and hope i can clear my desk and join in
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi all!

I have enlisted for the Falklands Campaign!

Haven´t decided yet what to build, probably a Airfix(?) Sea Harrier (GB) or the Italeri MB339 (AR), both in 1/48.

I would love to get a Pucara in 1/48, such a charismatic aircraft!
Sadly It´s very neglected by the mainstream manufacturers!

Looking forward to this campaign!

Cheers!

Stefan E
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hi all:

Here I add more info about what can be build for this Campaign.
(All the info is from the site "Revista Modelismo del Sur" here´s the link to the site:
http://www.choiquehobbies.com.ar/revista/indexe.html" TARGET="_blank">
http://www.choiquehobbies.com.ar/revista/indexe.html

CANBERRA IN MALVINAS:
THE B.62 AND T.64

The Argentine Air Force has incorporated, as soon as begun the 70´s , the Canberra bombers to its dowry. On a total of 12 airplanes, of which 10 were B.62 and 2 T.64 trainers, towards the bigining of the conflict 10 airplanes were in good condition . This mark that the “Canberra Squadron” had a good level of security by the lost of only 2 airplanes throughout 12 years. The Canberras of the Grupo de Bombardeo 2 (Bombing Group 2) was painted with the typical English colors: Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey. The numerals of these were painted in white, with the letter "B". The numbers, also in white, went from the 101 to the 110, for the B.62, and 111 and 112 for the T.64.
The only outer difference between the B.62 and T.64 is the nose, while the first had the transparent nose, because they carried the acquisition target equipment, the seconds had it plated in aluminum.

somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi again
Brian thanks for the welcome and the words of encouragement.

Still on a bit of a buying spree, this could get expensive, havent seen any of the kits ive ordered as iam on holiday but so far the following have been ordered,all in 1/72.

Fujimi A-4b skyhawk
Fujimi A-4c skyhawk
Heller Mirage 111E/V
Special hobby Pucara
Super models Macchi 339a
Highplanes Dagger

Iam interested in and looking out for a couple more Argentine and some British types, not sure yet which ones to enter in the campaign.

A couple of questions though whats the best way of getting British 1000lb bombs used by both sides, cant find an accessary set.
Also do you have to enter models that are not being built by anyone else or can the same models be built ie 2 a-4c for example.

Cheers looking forward to taking part.
Peter

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi all:

If anyone is going to build a Pucará, this info may help:

Width 14.50 ms; Length 14.25 ms; Height 5.36 ms; wing area 30.30 m2; Empty weight 3,985 kg; Maximum weight in take-off 6,625 kg; Maximum weight in landing 5,800 kg; Payload 2,640 kg; Speed at 3,000 ms of altitude, 520 km/h; Speed in deep 750 km/h; Cruise speed 485 km/h; Rate of climb at sea level 18 m/s; Take-off distance 420 ms; Landing distance 230 ms; Normal range 1,400 km; Ferry flying range, 3,400 km.

It count with two Martin-Baker Mk.6 zero-zero ejection seats. The fixed armament consisted of four FN Browning 7.62 mm machine guns located in both sides of the fuselage, and two HS 804 20 mm cannons in the inferior part of the nose. Has in addition three pylons to transport external loads by a gross weight of 1,500 kg, being able to take bombs, rockets or napalm tanks.

Pucará with the more common camouflage scheme used in the South Atlantic conflict

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Carlos

I have a Learjet in my stack that I want to do one day. Unfortunately I could not find pictures/drawings of the camera area ... and no idea how the central under wing area should look (for the malvinas time frame) ..

also are the yellow stripes on the wings confirmed?

thanks!

best wishes

Steffen
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Carlos

I have a Learjet in my stack that I want to do one day. Unfortunately I could not find pictures/drawings of the camera area ... and no idea how the central under wing area should look (for the malvinas time frame) ..

also are the yellow stripes on the wings confirmed?

thanks!
best wishes

Steffen

Hi Steffen:

I´ll check the info that I have and more to see if I can help you.
Did you sign in in this one ?
Regards.
Carlos
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi Carlos

many thanks

I have already had an email conversation with Jorge Raul Figary (in 2004!) and he sent me some nice pictures of VR-17 (which at the time of the photos already had the malvinas sign left of the door) but the mentioned areas are not really clear and this are after campaign pix

Also many antennas to replicate ...

cheers

Steffen
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 03:46 PM UTC
A couple of questions though whats the best way of getting British 1000lb bombs used by both sides, cant find an accessary set.
Also do you have to enter models that are not being built by anyone else or can the same models be built ie 2 a-4c for example.

Hello Peter,

Go to Hannants website and look this up:
Pavla Models PAVW7263, Aircraft detailing sets (resin) Catalogue 1:72 RAF WWII weapons set part 1, bombs. Ł3.55

As far as models you are free to build whatever you like. I don't care if we all build 20 Harriers the focus is on the workmanship each person is able to put into their models and the history behind the aircraft if known.

Thanks to everyone for contributing great information and pictures of aircraft involved. I am more excited about this campaign with each passing day.

Sincerely,
Brian
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC
I am in for this campaign. I will be building a Hasegawa 1/72 Sea Harrier. I have not decided on the scheme yet, but the kit includes markings for two different Sea Harrier schemes, so it will be one of those. The schemes are shown below:

Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi there.

Does anyone know of a producer of decals for a 29 sqn Phantom FGR?

I have one of these in my stash and would like to build it for this campaign. If not i'll have to buy something - now theres a hardship:-)

Andy
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
hi
According to an article in Junes Model Aircraft Monthly which has photos of and a small build of a fujimi phantom as used at Ascension and then down at Stanley decals are from Modeldecal sheet 71.
Hope this helps, not sure if they are still available as they arent listed at Hannants.
Peter
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:06 AM UTC
HI Andy
Please use my previous post with caution as i have just found a load of Modeldecal sheets on ebay uk and sheet 71 doesnt seem to show Falklands phantoms, others available may but couldnt see any with the red Malteese crosses.
Sorry for the duff info but the sheets are going cheap.
Peter
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. I'll do a bit more research. I may have to buy something special.

Andy
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:24 AM UTC
Hi all:

Today I made a visit to the hobby shop and when I saw the IA58 Pucará kit in 1:72 from Special Hobby I couldn´t resist and I bought it. It´s a very nice kit, very well detailed with fine engraved panel lines, resin and PE parts for the cockpit.
Now I have two kits for this Campaign. Don´t know wich one to build. Maybe the two of them, it depends on the time I´ll have.

Here are more pics of the real AC that I found in www.airliners.net:

_GOTOTOP