Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Official" Falklands War Campaign Thread
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 06:54 PM UTC
Sounds interesting, but unfortunently they are probably the old airfix kits.

I might actually consider buying the box and building a few of them anyway to try out some new techniques and hopefully at the same time get a decent result.

Anyway, we will see later when it is released. I am sure the guys here at the site will keep us updated.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

SHAR1here is picture of that Harrier.

bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hello Everyone,

I predict soon (maybe Sunday) my Skyhawk will be screaming towards the fleet at wave top level. I got quite a bit done over the last few days. It’s almost ready for a gloss coat and then decals.

I hope your projects are going well.

Sincerely,
Brian
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 05:35 AM UTC
Hi
Brian, Youve got a good looking skyhawk there, hope mine turns out as good.
Heres a few pics of mine so far, its going to have to go on hold for the next couple of weeks to finish my tomcat project.
Ive done a little bit more to it since the pics but nothing much

Looks like any task force ships had better look out theres skyhawks about.
cheers

bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 04:54 PM UTC
Hello Everyone,

Somtec, our Skyhawks will look great in formation
Jesper, I know your busy with a Tomcat right now and that's good for myself and Peter!
I was able to get the decals on and overcoat them. C-239 had minimal markings but it does sport one “Ship kill” The cockpit dials/gauges are Mike Grant Decals. The side codes are a mix of dry transfers (cockpit) and after market decals (by the tailplanes). Next is a wash, I think I will use Payne’s Grey and another coat of flat and then the Canopy.

Sincerely,
Brian
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 05:02 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

I have finished the ESCI 1/72 A4 Skyhawk. I thought the kit was not bad. I built it stock and used aftermarket decals (Microscale), dry transfers, and 250 and 750 lb. Bombs from the Hasegawa Weapons Set 1. The decals were the biggest disappointment from the picture I have of C-239 the Yellow arrows are about double the size of what they should be. I used dry transfers for the ‘C-239’ but I still think they’re a bit smaller than the real ones. Overall I am happy with how it turned out. I look forward to seeing who completes the next bird.

C-239 was a part of Grupo 5 and flew multiple combat missions. On 12-5-82 it was one of four Skyhawks in a second element that was to attack HMS Brilliant and HMS Glasgow near Port Stanley. The first element lost three of its four Skyhawks to Sea Wolf missiles fired by Brilliant. The second flight caught both ships unprepared and C-248 piloted by Fausto Gavazzi scored a direct hit on what was thought to be HMS Brilliant but it was actually HMS Glasgow. The bomb failed to explode on impact but passed through the ship right above the waterline causing it to be withdrawn from the rest of Operation Corporate. The other Skyhawk’s including C-239 missed the targets. On the return flight C-248 was accidentally engaged and shot down by a radar directed Argentine AA gun while passing over Port Stanley. Gavazzi will killed after ejecting at to low an altitude. C-239 survived the war and was being restored as of 2002.

Sincerely,
Brian
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 06:07 PM UTC
Hi Brian, your Skyhawk looks good. Very cool that you have so well researched history behind your build.

I have also finished my entry for this campaign - the Seaharrier. The history behind my build is a little more simple. It is simply a seaharrier from HMS Hermes during the Falklands War.

It is the Hasegawa 1/72 Seaharrier build OOB. Overall I am satisfied with this kit that comes together well and has good decals. I tried to use Mother's technique about preshading on a one colour scheme explained in his A-10 build blog. It worked alright for a first try, although I am sure the next try will be much better
I armed the Seaharrier with two cannons, drop tanks and two Sidewinders. Now it is ready to go out and protect the fleet

bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

Jesper, you foiled my attack, I’m already on the deck and running . It’s good to see a Harrier on CAP. I wonder who will tackle a Super Etendard? This is an absolute must have for the campaign. While looking around I found what appears to be a new decal release from Xtradecal. It comes in both 1/48 and 1/72. You can click the Hannants link below to go directly to the listing. Nice pictures to go with it. Also for us Yanks TWO BOBS is carrying them as well. www.twobobs.net

25th Anniversary of the Falklands War 2007. Markings for every Harrier GR.3 and Sea Harrier FRS.Mk.1 which took part in Operation Corporate May-June 1982 on HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible from 800 NAS, 801 NAS, 809 NAS and 899 NAS with operational detail of the Harriers and a brief history of the conflict. Produced in co-operation with the IPMS UK Harrier SIG. Includes full data. Double sheet
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?CATEGORY=&DIVISION=&MANUFACTURER=Xtradecal&CODE=&TYPE=&SCALE=&KEYWORD=&NUMPERPAGE=25&order%5B%5D=arrived+desc&order%5B%5D=code+asc&

Sincerely,
Brian
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 04:17 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I hope the building is going well. I was just over looking at new products and I read this article:
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/news/2897&adsort=on&nextnum=215292&align=right

What a treat to have a up to date 1/48th kit of a Chinook with markings for the Falklands War. Hopefully, a future member of the Campaign would like to tackle it.?

Sincerely,
Brian
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:29 PM UTC
Yeah, Brian. I agree. That Chinook would be a killer - I mean transporter - for the Falklands Campaign. It is a pretty fair price as well considering it is 1/48 and includes some basic reference material.

Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist.....
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist evil Italeri temptation. Must resist.....

"Resistance Is futile".........

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everyone,

What a treat to have a up to date 1/48th kit of a Chinook with markings for the Falklands War. Hopefully, a future member of the Campaign would like to tackle it.?

Sincerely,
Brian

I went to my LHS Friday and behold!! The Italeri 1/48 Chinook for what is equal to 27 pound sterling compared to the retail price of 33 pounds. I resisted, but only because I knew I had my Albatros and Tiger (P) tank waiting at home.
Now the Albatros is finished and construction has begun on the Tiger (P) so maybe now Stefan is right. Resistance is futile....
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I went to my LHS Friday and behold!! The Italeri 1/48 Chinook for what is equal to 27 pound sterling compared to the retail price of 33 pounds. So maybe now Stefan is right. Resistance is futile....

Hello Jesper,

That kit does look great, I imagine it would fill a sizeable place of honor in your home I did aquire the old 1/72 Matchbox kit which has Falklands markings for "BN" as well. Maybe we should have a side by side assembly comparison..... Wait I better get a beverage or two

Sincerely,
Brian
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi all!

So, the new Italeri Chinook actually have decals for the Falkland war?

Hmmm... maybe I can´t resist It myself!

But that bird will be BIG in 1/48!

Would love to see one built here!

I have made a start on my little Italeri Macchi MB336 in 1/48, as I don´t have decals for the Mirage yet and still awaits AM resin parts (Pavla) for the Airfix Seaharrier.

The Macchi Is a really cute little kit, but It comes in a horrible orange plastic!
Details are quite basic but adequate, and I will build It litterally out of the box as there isn´t any AM parts for this kit.

I have started basic construction and painted most of the parts.

Pics to come soon!

Cheers!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!
So, the new Italeri Chinook actually have decals for the Falkland war?
But that bird will be BIG in 1/48!

Yes, that is one of the otions in the kit. However, there are also many other cool decal options, so it wll be difficult to decide. I mean, IF one of us buys it Maybe one possibility is to hang it from the ceiling after it is finished. Just to find space for it....

Quoted Text

The Macchi Is a really cute little kit, but It comes in a horrible orange plastic!

Cheers!

Stefan E

That is just pure evil. Very strange to make a kit in orange. Maybe one of the versions is with dayglow orange markings
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2007 - 06:07 AM UTC
If 1/48 is too big, you might want to try the Airfix 1/72 Ch-47 kit. This is ex-Italeri CH-47C/D. It doesn't come with decals for BN but does have them for BZ.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2007 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

I started on my second entry for the Campaign an Argentine Navy Grumman S2F Tracker. The kit is the 1/72 Hobby Craft kit. I am surprised at how small an aircraft this is for a twin-engine, Marine Patrol/Sub Hunter.

Sincerely,
Brian
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 05:07 AM UTC

Hi All!

Wow!
Jeper and Brian, how do you find the time to build this fast and still so good?

The Skyhawk is a favourite, as Is the Seaharrier, nice good solid builds both of them!

I´m looking forward to see the the little Tracker done!

Quoted Text

That is just pure evil. Very strange to make a kit in orange. Maybe one of the versions is with dayglow orange markings

If it was only the markings!
Nope, this is the kit;

And as you can see, the whole airframe Is a bright orange!

There´s not many parts in the kit;

But all in that awful Orange plastic, you´ll need shades working with this!

Cockpit assembled, painted and decal instruments added;

Some wear and tear and wash will be added later.

First test fitting with the seats;

Simplistic, but a very nice relief from my Tomcat build!

More pics coming soon!

Cheers!

Stefan E
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hi Brian:

I found a picture of the Grumman Tracker, it´s from 200 but this was the scheme that was used in Falklands.

In a previous post in this same thread I posted a drawing of the Grumman Tracker Malvinas.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Carlos
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hello Stefan,

Wow! That is the most orange plastic I have ever seen! I better get my sunglasses on! Your cockpit is looking good, I am eager to see the finished aircraft. Thank you for the compliment about the Tracker but I must warn you the picture hides a fair amount of putty! Overall the kit is not bad so far. I was led to believe it’s a copy of the Hasegawa kit and being a copy the detail is much weaker.

I do agree the raised panel lines have almost disappeared after the primer was applied. However, in this scale I’m not so sure anything but major lines would be readily visible anyway. It would make a good candidate for re-scribing I think but I want to get this done and move on to another model.

I had to laugh (In a good way) about your comment on finding time to build. I consider myself one of the slower builders here at Aeroscale. Most of my build time is late at night after the rest of the family is in bed (That does not always go over so well). One big plus about the Tracker is there is only 55 pieces to assemble.

One item that does concern me is the canopy fitting to the fuselage as it is a two piece affair. The other is what did they carry if anything on those wing racks? The few pictures of Argentine Trackers I have found show nothing on any of them.

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for the picture, it’s the best in quality I have seen yet. I found that Aerocalas has decals for both high and low visibility Trackers in 1/72 (72010) I assume that either version could be correct for the Falklands? Here is a picture of the low visibility scheme that I am considering but at this point I could go with either scheme.

Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,
Brian
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All!

Wow!
Jeper and Brian, how do you find the time to build this fast and still so good?

The Skyhawk is a favourite, as Is the Seaharrier, nice good solid builds both of them!

Cheers!

Stefan E

Thanks, Stefan

I think you can build MB 326 in the dark. The parts will glow by themselves.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"Resistance Is futile".........

Stefan E

Stefan is right. Resistance is futile. I went to my hobby store yesterday and could not resist. I went home with the Italeri 1/48 Chinook under my arm. well, actually in both arm with a hunch back and dragging my feet due to the weight.

The kit looks really great and the actual body of the helicopter is not that big (34 cm) but with double rotors it is going to take up some space. The poster in the pack is quite nice and of high quality. I am not really sure I will ever put it up, but a nice feature nonetheless.

The background booklet was a little disappointing. There are lot of good walk around pictures and some US army drawings which are both very nice features.
However, the background history on the Chinook is extremely basic and there are no background information on the profiles. Especially the lack of information on the profiles is very disappointing for me. I had - as a minimum - expected the same kind of 5-10 lines pr. profile as Eduard has included in their recent FW 190 kits.

Anyway the kit looks good and there are some nice marking options. I plan to make the Falklands War variant for this campaign as my second entry but I am still not 100% sure. If time allows I might write up an article or blog or both on this one for Aeroscale.

This one is in line after my KI-115 (second entry for the Pacific War campaign) and a tank (Armorama campaign)

Below are some pictures of the book, poster and box.....

THE BOX

THE POSTER

THE BOOK
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stefan is right. Resistance is futile.

Don´t ask me how I know..... (just have a look at my stash!)
....but welcome to the club!

Looks like an interesting package.
Please show the decals and the options, any colorful birds?

Looking forward to see this one beeing built, and of course You´ll show us, won´t you?

Cheers!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 05:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like an interesting package.
Please show the decals and the options, any colorful birds?

Looking forward to see this one beeing built, and of course You´ll show us, won´t you?

Cheers!

Stefan E

I will take some pictures of the decals and the camo options beginning next week, as I am not sure I will have time before that.

I will surely show you the build in some form - at least as a build in this tread.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2007 - 09:48 PM UTC
Yesterday I read in a book on helicopters that Argentina deployed two Chinooks to the Falklands with one being shot down. This was completely new to me. Now I have checked the internet and read that one Argentine Chinook was shot down by a Seaharrier and later bombed, while another Chinook was captured and later used by the British in the UK.

However, nothing on the camouflage and markings during the falklands conflict. Anybody know anything about this?

My mind is already spinning on the possibility to build the Italeri 1/48 Chinook as an Argentine helicopter. Then I would have an aircraft for both sides of the conflict. However, I am not good enough to paint all the markings myself.

Does anybody have any information on some Argentine decals for the Chinook in 1/48?