Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"official" pearl harbor 2008 thread
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 603 posts
AeroScale: 565 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC

sept 24 1941. a message from tokyo to the consulate general instructs for reports on us vessels in pearl harbor.

nov 5 1941. yamamoto issues top secret order no. 1 to the combined fleet. detailing the plan for the attack on pearl harbor.

november 25 1941. the combined fleet sails from the kuriles.

dec 2 1941. the plan is given the go signal. japanese embassy instructed to destroy all codes.

december 7, 1941 a flight of sbd-1's and f4f-3's were inbound from the carrier enterprise. this flight, scout 6, arrived durring the attack. although some did manage to land and then carry out searches for the enemy some did not. this subject, 6-s-3, was piloted by ens. m. gonzalez with raidioman kozelek, rm3c. the action reports from the wingman, ens. f.t. weber, follow;

and so on to my submission to this build.

6-S-3

thank you all again for making this more than just another build.

never to be forgotten

joe
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 - 03:12 PM UTC
Very nice build, Joe. It is very well researched and interesting to read the background info.

Thanks for sharing
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thank you all again for making this more than just another build.

Thank you, joe!

that is a very interesting choice of subject you made - and i mean interesting in that it piqued my interest, not just the run of the mill interesting.

thanks for sharing.
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:00 PM UTC
thankyou for the kind words.

joe
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:32 PM UTC
I agree completely. Firstly it's a beautiful model and secondly - you don't get much closer to the history than reading the pilots own statement.

Way cool.
HeyLoad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC
This is my 1/48 Tamiya A6M2 Zero. It is finished as the aircraft of Lieutenant Commander Shigeru Itaya, commander of Akagi’s first wave of fighters. The markings are from the Tamiya decal sheet. I have seen some information posted on the internet which indicates that a different aircraft number is correct for Lt Cdr Itaya. It is thought that his flight carried out one strafing run and Ewa field and then proceeded on to Pearl Harbor. There is a review of the day’s events and photos, including Lt Cdr Itaya at this site.
hyperwar

fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
tom she looks fantastic to me. great work.

the part that defines this build:

dec 7, 1941
7:40 am 183 japanese fighters, dive bombers, level bombers, and torpedo bombers from the first wave form up after what was termed the best launch yet north of kakhuku point.

7::49 the commander of the attack cmdr fuchida signals "to" meaning charge to the other aircraft. the flight breaks up to begin attack runs.

7:53 to 8:00 aircraft from the six carriers begin attacks on nas pearl harbor (ford island), hickam field, ewa marine air corps station, bellows field, wheeler field, kaneohe naval air station, and naval vessels and stations located in pearl harbor.

8:00 to 9:00 b-17c's and b-17e"s arrive from the us mainland and are attacked while trying to land at various fields.

9:00 2 p-40"s piloted by 2lt whiteman and lt bishop are shot down after getting airborne.

9:05 four p-36"s led by 1lt sanders take flight, moments later another p-36 piloted by 2lt moore takes off. he joins up with 2lt brown from haleiwa field

these are but a few of the aircraft that got airborne. i have it written down but cant seem to find the estimated total sorties flown that morning.

11:00 cmdr fuchida makes his final flight over the destruction. he leaves the area when he confirms he is the last plane to leave.

joe
Victor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louth, Ireland
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,

Here is my entry, it's also an A6M2 Zero, the 1/48 tamiya kit. Do I need to post in the campaign gallery to complete my entry?

Any feedback welcome. I know there are flaws in it myself, but another point of view is always welcome.

Victor
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 11:07 AM UTC
looks good to me victor. not sure about posting in the campaign gallery.

joe
Karybdis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 05:29 PM UTC
In an absolute case of severe head fuzziness, I completely forgot about that I signed up for this campaign! Hmmm, this is gonna require some quick thinking on my part to see what I have around here to build in a few days as a personal challenge to myself.

Edit/ Update: Seeing that this campaign encompasses all genres, including figures, I think I'll do the 1/32 IJN pilot that came with Tamiya's Zero. Good molding, solid lines, and fits in my low amount of time. Plus, we focus on the machinery so much, it might be good to show something of the human aspect (I'd love to have something like a 1/16 scale USN sailor at his post on an AA gun that terrible day)...
smokeyjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 01:12 PM UTC
I'm new at this. I clicked the button to join the campaign now what do I do? I also do not know how to submit photos to your site.

I chose to build a P35 for the Pearl Harbor Campaign because it was the only aircraft model that I think qualifies the local hobby shop had!
smokeyjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 06:49 PM UTC
This is the first model plane I've built in 30 years. I picked up the P35 because it was the only model of the time period at the local hobby shop. Historically I can't find on line a P35 was at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th. They were in the Philippines.

I like the P35 for its clunky look and it could be in bare metal. I had a can of chrome spray paint already, my choice was made. The Academy kit was really nice, I remember we used to have to scrape flash off of every piece, even the decal sheet. This was not the case here.

I started with the cockpit. It was Spartan so I decided to include a pilot who would fill up space and hide detail. I painted the interior olive drab, I have three different colors of OD spray paint and used the one closest to interior green. The center of the instrument panel was painted flat black and I used a split toothpick to add white to the dials. I used tape as seatbelts over the pilots shoulder. It wasn't as super detailed some I've seen but it was enough for the first time in decades.

With the cockpit in order I used Testor's glue to attach the wing panels. They went together with no problems. Interior parts were attached and then the body of the aircraft was joined.

The next step was to attach the canopy. It comes in three pieces. It is too thick for scale but It was all I had. The windscreen had to be trimmed as it overhung the front a tad. I had to use filler on the rear part to make a smooth fit. Since the center part was to be open the panels were masked off. The wings were attached and it was a snug fit with no gaps.

The engine comes in five pieces and they were painted and attached to the front of the plane. The cowling was a tad off center and a little scrape here and there and I got a good fit.

I then cleaned the plane and sprayed the entire model primer gray. I used super glue to fill in the tiny gaps and cleaned it up with 0000 steel wool. A touch up of gray. Masked off the canopy panels. The next day I sprayed it chrome. Chrome takes a couple of days to dry so I let it sit for a week.

I then chose two panels on the left wing, one panel on the right wing and two on the nose and masked them off and painted them a different color silver. When I pulled the mask off it looked good. It was just enough off set to stand out. The flying surfaces were painted an even different color silver.

I put on the national insignia on the wings and tail as well as the wing walkways using 30 year old Super Micro Set. It worked just as good as it did three decades ago as they all conformed to the surface. Up to now everything was fine.

I used to apply a coat of clear finish and then weather the model. I used Krylon Crystal Clear, big mistake. Either I didn't wait long enough for the model to dry or the Krylon was a poor choice, but it was a disaster. The different color skin panels didn't look any different and took on a gray tone. The decals shrunk and split.

From across the room the P35 doesn't look bad. It has that early aviation look to it from the early prop era.

I'm having difficulty getting pics here but they are on my page. Live and learn.

I had fun and would like to try another kit. Where can I get figures of pilots and ground crew in 1/48 scale?
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC
Hello Barney:     I found that this link was interesting, http://www.ww2pacific.com/ww2.html there was a P-35/AT-12 Guardsman at Pearl.

Robert
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 02:10 PM UTC
i will be working sunday so i will post this now.

december 7 1941, a day which will live in infamy.

the "attack" begins at approximately 7:51. at approximately 11:00 the last plane landed on the japanese carriers. the time between is filled with death and destruction and the end of paradise. six carriers. approximately 350 aircraft. a plan designed to be just a distraction for the main thrust into the south pacific by japanese naval and army units. just a distraction, one designed to cripple the united states navy so that the japanese could move freely through the pacific.

in the end 2388 military and civilian dead. 2107 navy and marine as well as 233 army and 48 civilians. 1109 military and civilian wounded. 710 navy and marine as well as 364 army and 35 civilians. 44 states represented, as well as the district of columbia, guam, hawaii, the phillipines, and hawaii. 16 congressional medal of honors given as well as 51 navy crosses, 53 silver stars, four navy and marine corps medals, one distinguished service medal, and three bronze stars. 8 battleships sunk or heavily damaged, one minelayer sunk, two auxilliaries sunk or capsized and one heavily damaged. 169 aircraft lost, 92 navy and 77 army. 150 damaged, 31 navy and 128 army. all this in 110 minutes of combat.

for this amount of damage the japanese lost nine fighters, 15 dive bombers, and five torpedo planes. one I-class submarine was lost as well as the five midget subs. the casualties; 55 airmen, 121 submarine crewmen, and nine midget sub crewmen.

these facts taken from several sources.

the attack was so quick, so sudden, many of those killed didnt even know they were at war. even after the bombs and bullets started falling people didnt believe that they were being attacked. one report of a young man hunting with a cousin didnt believe there was an attack even after his cousin was killed. after that day the hawaiian islands were torn from being a territory governed by a few families to becoming a true part of the united states becoming a state not long after the war. the us navy was forced to change from a navy of battleship groups to a navy centered on the carrier.

today it is said that the arizona still weeps for her crew.

december 7 1941. never to be forgotten.

joe
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hi all,

Quoted Text

In an absolute case of severe head fuzziness, I completely forgot about that I signed up for this campaign! Hmmm, this is gonna require some quick thinking on my part to see what I have around here to build in a few days as a personal challenge to myself.

Same here...

I will try to build a P-36 from Hobbycraft during the week-end. I think it's possible in two days if I do it from the box. I'll start a build thread soon.

Some nice models have been built for this Campaign and I would be very happy to add one more to the list. Wish me luck...

Jean-Luc
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:37 AM UTC
I can do that. Good luck, Jean-Luc!

HeyLoad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 02:16 PM UTC
Well done Victor. Looks like we both took the same route, except for placing the pilot.

Tom
Karybdis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 03:36 AM UTC
Whew, got my pilot done and just needs a couple of drybrushing in some spots. We went to the in-laws for the day yesterday and I spent the entire time working on the figure. They're very understanding. Gotta run some errands and I'll post the pictures. Completing and posting this on the actual day of December 7th makes it click for me all the more.

Good luck to you too, Jean-Luc! Sorry I haven't been around so much- I've been swamped in ship projects.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks for your wishes...

This is the current status of the build...

Unfortunately, I must have used too much setting solution (Mr.Mark Softer). I touched one decal on the underside and it was as if I wiped away some fresh paint! I will wait at least one night to let the decals dry before doing the weathering. This means I won't finish the model today but only tomorrow...

Jean-Luc
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC
jean luc,
she looking very good.

for all in this build.

thankyou for joining me in this build. for those who didnt finish by the "end date" please finish. remember, this build is to show tribute to those who were affected first hand by this event. i appreciate all the information shared and the history remembered.

for those who died.....
for those who survived...

never to be forgotten.

joe
Karybdis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 03:23 PM UTC
Whew, got in under the wire as it's still December 7th EST USA (and more importantly, in Hawaii). Here's my entry...

Edit: Why is this campaign shown as being concluded? It's still December 7 so the deadline day is still happening...
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi all!

I have finished my Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zero in the well-known markings of Lieutenant Commander Shigeru Itaya, belonging to Akagi Aircraft Carrier Fighter Group, during the attack on Pearl Harbour, Hawaii, the morning on December 8th 1941.

Many thanks to everybody who participated with all the nice and wellbuilt models during this very fun and well-run campaign!

Cheers!

Stefan E
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi all,

Wow Dade! Superb figure!

Stefan, nice target! Just what I needed for my P-36!

Sorry for the bad pictures. I took the photos in the workroom located in my basement.

Jean-Luc
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc!

Hmmm..., I wonder who´s really the target here!

Nevertheless, a very nice build, especially considering how fast you had to build it!

Sorry that I have to shoot you down, my friend!

Cheers!

Stefan E
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry that I have to shoot you down, my friend!

Maybe next time...

Jean-Luc