_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"official" pearl harbor 2008 thread
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 603 posts
AeroScale: 565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 09:15 AM UTC
folks i am proud to start off the official thread for this build.

the pearl build is to pay tribute to those who died and those who survived the attack december 7 1941. this attack played a major roll in changing two nations. this attack, barely two and a half hours long, cause a great deal of damage and loss of life. civilian and military became casualties. the navy was forced because of this attack to change from a battleship based navy to a carrier based navy. this attack changed thousands of lives.

as for the build itself let me expand a bit on what i wrote for the guidelines.

-all civilian and military subjects are provided:
-the subject was in hawaii or hawaiian waters december 7 1941.
-the subject resembles the actual subject. markings, fitting (ships), colors, etc must be of december 7 1941.
-the uss enterprise is allowed as the only us carrier as the enterprise flights were inbound.
-armor subjects can include tanks, artillary, soft skin vehicles, and dioramas.
-figures can be stand alone or in diorama.

the rules are definitely simple. my only other rules as stated. have fun and please finish.

i look forward to seeing where this build goes.

joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 09:20 AM UTC
getting started with:

spring 1940--the us fleet transfers from san diego to pearl harbor hawaii. this move prompts adm yamamoto to begin to expand japanese naval air power. he also begins to think that the japanese navy needed to choose the time and place in case of war with the united states.

joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 05:44 AM UTC

jan 1...ambassador grew in japan writes the american ideas of appeasment are utterly hopeless.

jan 24...japanese admiral yamamoto comments "we (japan) would have to dictate the terms of peace in the white house." he wondered if the japanese political leaders would be prepared for such a war.

jan 27...ambassador grew is informed of a possible japanese attack on the fleet at pearl harbor. washington downplays this. in japan adm yamamoto continues to analyse and plan an attack on the hawaiian islands.

feb 5...adm kimmel (newly appointed cincpac) is told that hostilities with japan would possibly start with a suprise attack on hawaii.

feb15...adm kimmel issues a letter stating the possiblity of an attack by japan on hawaii.

late feb...a report containing ten possible attack plans is given for indepth analysis. at this point nine are rejected including one for an invasion of the hawaiian islands.

march 10...the final plan for operation hawaii is passed back to adm yamamoto.

joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:35 AM UTC
another addition.

ships of the japanese first combined fleet. the ships of the hawaii operation are also ok'd for this build

joe
Removed by original poster on 04/12/08 - 21:25:30 (GMT).
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:25 AM UTC
Pearl Harbor Video

joe
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC
Is there a kick off date and ending, it sounds like one that I would like to join.

Bob
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there a kick off date and ending, it sounds like one that I would like to join.

Bob

Hello Bob, click on this and everything about the Campaign is explained.
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=248

Sincerely,
Brian
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:38 PM UTC
Brian thanks for the information, now all I have to do is figure out how to get photos posted on this campaign, i have tried 5 times but I will wait till tomorrow.

Bob
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:15 AM UTC
brian thankyou for the help.

joe
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
Welcome to the campaign, Robert.

I still have not decided what to build for this campaign, but I am looking around for a P-40 in early war markings - I had no luck in the local hobby store....
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:22 AM UTC
Ok Jesper you have decided my entry for me, I was between a P40C and a P36. I am going to do a P40B, I like those pictured in all green/olivedrab with the large white ID numbers on the fuselage. Thanks for shoving me off the stool and waking me up.

Bob
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:07 AM UTC
Sounds good.
I am more and more tempted by these early war fighters as well. I can be your wing man. Have you decided on a kit? I have not found a useful kit yet.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:01 AM UTC
Jesper I am using an Academy P40C (there were 11 on hand), True Details cockpit, True Details wheels/tires, Eduard mask and Squadron canopy. If there is any time left when I finish the P40 I might start the P36. Jesper I remember photos of several planes at a naval airfield albeit they were wrecked but they deffitnately were at Pearl Harbor. (Kingfisher, PBY Catalina, B18). If you PM me I can send you a list that I have on excel of all of the aircraft , quantiy, and location at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7,1941.

Bob
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 09:14 PM UTC
Sounds great, Robert. It could be very interesting to see your list.

PM on the way
Removed by original poster on 05/07/08 - 18:06:44 (GMT).
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 07:05 PM UTC
Robert, the campaign has not started yet, so I do not think it is "legal" to start building yet. You risk your build will not qualify for a ribbon because it is started before the official "kick off" date.

However, since you did not know this, I guess the campaign leader will allow you to enter the kit if you wait with further work on the kit untill the campaign starts.

I know how you feel, my fingers are also itching to get started on my P-40
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 01:39 AM UTC
i do not know how this works on this board. in the past i ususally pm the member who has started. i let them know the build hasnt started yet. i let them know if they wish they can shelf the build until the start date or choose another build. that normally satisfies everyone and the spirit of the build.

robert if you wish you can shelf your work until the official start or choose another to build.

your work btw looks good.

joe
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert, the campaign has not started yet, so I do not think it is "legal" to start building yet. You risk your build will not qualify for a ribbon because it is started before the official "kick off" date.

However, since you did not know this, I guess the campaign leader will allow you to enter the kit if you wait with further work on the kit untill the campaign starts.

I know how you feel, my fingers are also itching to get started on my P-40

I appoloize Jesper it looks like I got mixed up with the WHEN I FLEW WITH CAMPAGIN and wrote down the wrong date, no problem I will do an AMT P-36 and send in my photo of the kit that has not been started and delete the P-40. Did you get the list of a/c at Pearl Harbor?

BOB

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 07:34 AM UTC
Here is my entry an AMT P-36, there were 39 present at Pearl and there more P-36's in the air than P-40's and if I read the spread that I have there were 6 P-36's that shot down 2 Zeros with loss of one P-36.

BOB
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you get the list of a/c at Pearl Harbor?

BOB

Yeps, got it, but I have not been able to check it out yet as I am away from my usual PC.

I have a P-40B/C linned up for this campaign now. Cannot wait to get started
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Did you get the list of a/c at Pearl Harbor?

BOB

Yeps, got it, but I have not been able to check it out yet as I am away from my usual PC.

I have a P-40B/C linned up for this campaign now. Cannot wait to get started [/quote

I am looking for some reference for markings and decals for same for the P-36, I had seen them before but forgot where so its back to the hunt. I forgot how bad the AMT kit was, but I like a challange it will be fun making a purse out of the sows ear. What kit did you finally get for your P-40B/C? Back to the list it would be fun to do a B-18, does anyone know if there is a kit of that beast?

BOB
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 06:42 PM UTC
none that i have seen. although both a 1/48 and 1/72 had been promised.

i am told of a resin conversion but i havent had the chance to see it.

joe
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 06:47 PM UTC
[quote]none that i have seen. although both a 1/48 and 1/72 had been promised.

i am told of a resin conversion but i havent had the chance to see it.

joe [quote]

Joe I thought that I had seen one back in 1985 but I cannot find one, it would be a great build for this campaign. Thanks for the info.

BOB

fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC
bob i agree. i really am hoping for the introduction of either a resin or an injected plastic kit sometime in my lifetime. to be honest it is something i have been waiting for.

joe
 _GOTOTOP