Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"official" pearl harbor 2008 thread
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
Yesterday, December 7th, 1941...

Maybe FDRs speech writer got it wrong.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 08:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I checked the instructions for my Nakijima B5N2 (Kate). In the painting profiles, it gives options for two aircraft, at Pearl Harbor, on December 8, 1941.
Is this a typo or an international date line thing?

Hello Carl,

Nope, it was December 8th in Asia and the Far East thanks to the International Date Line.

Sincerely,
Brian
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 603 posts
AeroScale: 565 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 02:58 AM UTC
well as with anything those who believe they know it all, are wrong. the actual date for the us freezing japanese assets, closing ports to japanese vessels, and placing an embargo on oil sales was july 28 1941. however this does not affect this build.

April 10 - the imperial japanese navy is reorganized. the 1st air fleet is organized.

april 13 - the japanese and russians sign a neutrality pact.

may 20 - the japanese confirm, the us has broken and is reading some of the japanese codes.

june 20 - the us stops oil shipments to anywhere except latin america and great britain.

june 26 - vichy france permits japan to occupy french indochina.

july 17 - a new japanese government is formed.

july 28 - the us puts and embargo on oil sales, freezes assets, and closes ports to japanese vessels.

this is what japan calls the provocation for the attack on the hawaiian islands. this my friends signals the beginning of pearl harbor 2008.

joe
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
Yep: Joe your correct, it is the same now as then. If I can not get what I want from you I will take with threats. I just pulled out my P-36 to work on (AMT) it is nasty so I will see what can be done with it. Like turnniing a sows ear into a silk purse, so it will be fun.

ROBERT
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nope, it was December 8th in Asia and the Far East thanks to the International Date Line.

That was my first guess. You would think they'd go zulu on that.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 04:58 PM UTC
I will kick this campaign of to a start with the first in progress post.

I have started my 1/48 Revell/Monogram P-40 B/C. This looks like a very challenging kit. The details are on the thick side and the dry fit of the main parts indicates that this kit will fight me all the way....

The exhausts were two long chunks of plastic. After considering buying aftermarket exhaust, I decided to take the direct way to solve this problem and redo them with a lot of drilling, filling, cutting and sanding. They look acceptable now.

The cockpit is very basic, but decent considering the cockpit will be closed behind 1-2 mm of of clear palstic. I still have not decided if I want to use the pilot in the cockpit, but I might do so and the figure is actually looking alright.

More to follow.....

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 06:19 PM UTC
Jesper the exhaust look really good and the cockpit will also look good when you put the paint to it.

Robert
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Jesper,

Nice job on the drilling. That takes a very steady hand for tubes that size.

I'm gluing part of my Gato's hull together, getting ready to cutoff about 3/4" of it to bring it down to Tambor side. I have to say, I've never cut off so much of a model before and I'm feeling a bit of trepidation on resizing the deck for the new fit........But there's no going back now!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 07:48 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate it.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC
Great start.
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 02:42 PM UTC
jesper nice clean job on the exhausts. i mess up one of them at least everytime i try to drill them out. i like the revell kit. the only issue i have with it is the pit, but it does build up to a nice replica. and it is a nice kit to play (read bash) with.

joe
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
Ok I have started that nasty AMT P-36 for this campaign, I will be using the profile that JOE has on one of his threads for my paint scheme, pics to follow.

ROBERT
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:32 PM UTC
And here are some photos of the AMT P-36A which is a dog of a kit.

I have sanded all surface detail off and used Mr Surfacer 500 to fill all gaps which has come out pretty good. The grey paint is to see if I have missed any areas.

ROBERT
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
Looks good, Robert. We can be wingmen to try to protect battleship row

I am also making progress on my P-40. Pictures to follow soon.

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 05:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good, Robert. We can be wingmen to try to protect battleship row

I am also making progress on my P-40. Pictures to follow soon.

Jesper remember the markings that I am using for this P-36 which 2nd. Lt. Harry Brown flew shot down 2 aircraft (Kates) so you will be in company.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 09:24 PM UTC
That is good, Robert. I am building the P-40 below and I think it was actually one of the aircraft destroyed on the ground to be honest.

I have made some progress on my build, but there were a lot of issues to fix. The main problems were:
- Very bad fit between fuselage and wing section.
- Very bad fit between cowling and front fuselage.
- Very big sink marks on the tail stabilisers

On the good side the kit actually includes moveable flaps although almost all P-40s I have seen parked have the flaps up in closed position. However, I think I will leave them open. Just because I can. I have even found a drawing so I can position them in the right angle. Does anybody know the colour of the inside of the flaps?

More to follow soon...

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 07:27 AM UTC
Jesper the P-40 is looking good, and I see the gaps that you were stating. I think by what I have seen that you will be proud of your build. BTW I know that George Welch and Ken Taylor flew P-40 B's on the 7th. and scored vicories with them and did not recieve any recognition because they had taken off against orders.

ROBERT
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 01:53 AM UTC
Really, I heard they got credited with 2 and 3 kills respectively, but I am not sure I remember that correctly. I read up on this history a week ago to prepare for my build.

I know one of them flew a P-40 with number "300". Unfortunently I do not have markings for that aircraft, but "316" could have been an aircraft used for scoring kills. Chances are bigger that it was destroyed on the ground though.

More to follow on my build during the week....
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really, I heard they got credited with 2 and 3 kills respectively, but I am not sure I remember that correctly. I read up on this history a week ago to prepare for my build.

I know one of them flew a P-40 with number "300". Unfortunently I do not have markings for that aircraft, but "316" could have been an aircraft used for scoring kills. Chances are bigger that it was destroyed on the ground though.

More to follow on my build during the week....

Sorry I did not clarify, they were written up for the DSC but were not allowed on the grounds of taking off with out permission.

ROBERT
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

folks i am proud to start off the official thread for this build.

the pearl build is to pay tribute to those who died and those who survived the attack december 7 1941. this attack played a major roll in changing two nations. this attack, barely two and a half hours long, cause a great deal of damage and loss of life. civilian and military became casualties. the navy was forced because of this attack to change from a battleship based navy to a carrier based navy. this attack changed thousands of lives.

. . .i look forward to seeing where this build goes. joe

Greetings Joe and all I have some historical images to contribute for your GB if they would be welcome?
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 03:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

folks i am proud to start off the official thread for this build.

the pearl build is to pay tribute to those who died and those who survived the attack december 7 1941. this attack played a major roll in changing two nations. this attack, barely two and a half hours long, cause a great deal of damage and loss of life. civilian and military became casualties. the navy was forced because of this attack to change from a battleship based navy to a carrier based navy. this attack changed thousands of lives.

. . .i look forward to seeing where this build goes. joe

Greetings Joe and all I have some historical images to contribute for your GB if they would be welcome?

they would be most welcome. thankyou

joe
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:34 PM UTC
Stephen, your photos would be very welcome - especially if you have any photos of P-40s at Pearl Harbour.

Here is an update on my build. I still have some sanding to do and maybe go over it once again with filler. It is still fighting me, but I think I have the worst behind me now, so I can continue with the painting soon.

More to follow....

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 06:32 PM UTC
Jesper what are you using to cover the cockpit, it looks like what I need for my next step?

ROBERT
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 09:44 PM UTC
Well, the cockpit is covered with a napkin the fill up the space in the cockpit and then Tamiya masking tape around the edges to ensure the napkin does not get messed up in the paint work. It is fast, cheap, and works everytime

Here is a couple of pictures after the sanding. I have the feeling my P-40 will lack some small rivet detail on each side of the cockpit as I cannot restore the small rivets after the sanding.
Anyway, now it is ready for a final base coat before I start masking numbers and painting the main colours.

Sometimes it is fun to work with these old models that fights you all the way, but after this one I really need a model that fits together well for my next project

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:01 PM UTC
Well, due to an illness that kept me home from work (but not away from the workbench) the last couple days, I managed to get a fair start on my entry for this campaign.

I am building a Hasagawa 1/48 Aichi D3A1 'Val'. I'll be using aftermarket decals to give a corrrect Pearl Harbor scheme. I used the Eduard pre-painted IJN seat belts.

Here is where I am at: