Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:32 Roden GB 2008 Albatros D.I
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 03:12 AM UTC
Don´t worry Carl
I know,I know. When this pic was taken I was far away from grabbing the airbrush, but thanks for the warning.

Larsa Q
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 05:08 AM UTC
Looking good, Lars!
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi
all strips off maskingtape is in place, so from here we can start up the airbrush. For the moment I´m just putting on all the strips on the Pfalz , when both is ready for some gentle preshading I´ll grab the that old Badger again
Preshading will be done in a mix off Humbrol flat black and leather brown.The reason for adding some brown into the black is just to knock out that heavy blackness and getting the preshades smooth.

Larsa Q
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC
Larsa,

And I thought lozenge tape was tedious. You bring your productions to a new level. Excellent build, another of our artisans.

Regards, Dwayne
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:01 PM UTC
Hi
Now all the work is done, preshading and a gloss Humbrol #7 brown on the woodenarea. So from here there’s all that final colours to go on. I’ll start with the wood graining in oils. I will use golden Ohre and Burnt Umbre for the grains. The time it will take for the oils to dry complete I’ll going to finish off all masking on the Pfalz so for all you who’s waiting on that (Terri)
The oils will need some week to dry so there will be some good hours with the Pfalz.

Larsa Q
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:35 PM UTC
Larsa,

What a tedious job taping...........but WOW the effect that preshading will have, what depth that will give to a clear doped linen. I have been podering the translucency of the underwing doped linen and how to get that effect................ You just did it. Will be interesting to see how it shows through on the upper camo.

Fabulous!!

Regards
Steve
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi Steve
The key comes in the last stages off the painting. To get that "see thru" effect needed to letting the preshades show thru the paint is done by adding 40% clear varnish to the cammopaints or the bottomblue. Gently airbrushing is advised so you can stop the airbrush when you get that right feeling......

Larsa Q
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hi
The grain is on the fuselage. Using old paintbrushes is the tip for this method. The Humbrol 7 brown was applied with some extra thinner, just to get an glosses tone off satinfinish. This will help the oils to stick a little better to the surface than real gloss. I used the real gloss one on the DIII:a build so why not alter something. They will be standing side by side on the shelf someday.
This time I tried to get the grain in different direction from panel to panel, I did not fiddle with that on the DIII.
For now this bird will be sitting on the shelf and get some real drying time. So from here I´ll be working on the Pfalz

Larsa Q
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 01:03 AM UTC
Very nicely done Lars . As always your wood grain is excellent .
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 01:31 AM UTC
Thanks Terri
There will be a coloured clearcot allover the fuselage in the end.trying to get a redish toned finish. Will see how that goes.
For the moment I´m taping up the Pfalz and trying to send up some pics later today.

Larsa Q
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
Well Done Larsa! Your usual excellent work.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC
This is shaping up into another fantastic Larsa-build. I haven' purchased this kit yet. My LHS and on-line source never seemed to get it. So, what are your impressions.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hi Carl

If you like the DIII, you will like the D1 even more. The details on the fuselage is much better, on the DIII they are just a little to smooth so Eduard’s etchset comes to rescue if you want your bird to be sharp and awesome. On the D1 fuselage the louvers and cover are more distinct and are much better from the mould.

As far as my build has come there is just one bit off pitfall. The bulkhead for the ammobox and fueltank is sitting just 2mm off to the rear, so you have to push it forward to get the Spandau´s to line up.
The wing’s is just as fine as the DIII and I’m into heavy planning off getting me another D1 for a W¤ conversion, yes I know there’s a lot off work to convert it to a W4.Just love the idea off a 32-sclae HydroAlbie.

Larsa Q
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi
The Albatros have been under the work lamp all night and today when I had to go to my work. So the oilpaint´s is just that dry to get some Clear varnish all over. To get that “reddish” tint in the wood (somewhere in my references) I mixed in just that tiny drop off Humbrol Crimson red into the clear. With low pressure I worked that old Badger all over the wood and this was result. Now it’s you my friends to be the judge if I ruined the build or not. I know you good folks, so try to bee……..

Larsa Q
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi
The airbrush is running hot here. Almost everything is painted except the topside. Will do that tomorrow. More pics coming

Larsa
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC
Cheers on this one

and one or a few for Steve !
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the Terri...........................gotta cut that out and get back to the SE5.

Get'in ready for a herd to show up Thursday..............hope they don't sit in the SE and the Abbie. Won't be pretty.

I'll be back on them this weekend....................after i shovel out the place.

Still keep'en my eye on the builds..............so much "Good Stuff".

Regards
Steve
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 04:51 AM UTC
I love the way the preshading brings the underside of that top wing to life. Once you sprayed the top colour on it looks excellent, something I often wondered how to tackle.

Now I know and the wood grain, its inspiring......somewhere in my loft lurks a Sanger Vacform 1/24th DVa I was going to town on superdetailing a few *coughs* years ago.......

I do wonder though, how well the radiators are detailed in the kit, the front front and back of them.

This Kit appeals to me, but before I buy it I supose I best finish something else I have underway )

Keith

Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi Keith
i will take some pics for you of the radiators this weekend.

Cheers
Larsa Q
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC
Pics for you Keith

Larsa Q
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:35 PM UTC
Thanks Larsa,

lovely shot shows all I need to know. I have 1 clear pic in my windsock file shows a little different, but its a D2, so things may have changed between marks. It shows a fine honeycomb front but hazarding a guess these rads would be made by more than one supplier anyway.

I have a DIII the DRI and an SE5a half built.......and many other things too still It's not good, I can feel my credit card trembling in my wallet again now.

thanks Keith
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 01:59 AM UTC
Great work Lars! I love your wood representation, very realistic
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC
Well it happened....I got weak....something else I needed to order and....whoops a DI slipped onto the add to cart menu LOL . So one is on the way from Hannants as I type...your work is an inspiration, if mine turns out half as good I will be more than happy.

Lots of pointers here to make it shine.

Best wishes Keith
Hatter50
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 06:06 AM UTC
There goes that dang "Add to Cart" button again..........

Regards
Steve
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hi Folks
Started up this one again, pics comming asp.

Larsa