_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Ronnie RAAF Campaign
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
A campaign to build aircraft used by the RAAF, in RAAF markings of course!
Enlist here : Ronnie RAAF
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 05:43 AM UTC
I've pressed the button and I was the first to do it, I even beat the campaign leader to it! Ain't I a stinker !

F/A-18 Hornet or (horror of horrors) High Planes Beaufort. Or an F-111... Or something yet unthought of, almost six months to go until campaing start!

By the way, I would kindly like a ribbon with a kangaroo on if that isn't too much to ask for?

Magnus
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC
Magnus - June is only 3 months out seeing as it starts the end of June I'll give you 4 but not 6 !!!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Magnus - June is only 3 months out seeing as it starts the end of June I'll give you 4 but not 6 !!!

Two glasses of white wine (from California by the way!) obviously does wonders to my sense of both time and mathematics...

Magnus
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi!

Second to sign on!

No contest of what I will build, the wonderful little CAC Boomerang in 1/48 from Special Hobby!

Cheers Mates!

Stefan E
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 07:24 AM UTC
I clicked the button also. I don't think I have anything to build. But I will find something.
Removed by original poster on 03/01/09 - 21:14:03 (GMT).
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
I will not be able to participate, but I thought you might be interested in a model I built a while ago - it is of a Gloster gladiator in the markings of Peter Turnbull, RAAF Libya, 1941. The decals are from Iliad Designs, and the camouflage is in four-colour 'counter-shading' scheme.

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=24145

Good Luck with the campaign.

TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
Yeah, why not? I got Italeris 1:48 A-20G Boston in my stash w/ eduard masks.

Btw, when was this proposed? :O
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC
This campaign is all new to me, but a pleasant surprise. I believe, I have a Mirage with Aussie markings somewhere in my stash.

Time to start the research.....
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
Have a lot of Australian aircrafts in my stash so I'll just have to decide wich one to build, but count me in.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This campaign is all new to me, but a pleasant surprise. I believe, I have a Mirage with Aussie markings somewhere in my stash.

Time to start the research.....

Hi Jesper. Here's some info for you about the RAAF Mirages to begin with. The IIIO version was specially made for Australia. At the time no company had an aircraft that met the RAAF long range requirement to cover SE Asia from Malaysian and North Aust bases. The RAAF preference at the time was still biased towards British products and what they really wanted was a for English Electric to do a special long range Lightning. But in the end it was Dassault that came to the party. They made a longer fuselage version of the Mirage so they could fit all the fuel in.
As far as i know no one makes a true IIIO kit so far, some people use resin conversion kits to get the right fuselage length, and some people just use a straight IIIC/CJ kit with RAAF markings and don't worry about it. If you want to see where the extra length is in pics, look to the aft of the cockpit and the engine intakes and decide if it's noticeable enough of a difference for it to matter to you!

Anyone wanting to do a conversion project, Mirage IIIO conversions for Heller kits are sold by Red Roo: http://www.redroomodels.com/conversions.php
But i've never actually used one or seen one up close.

Unfortunately, for me, i don't have a single RAAF subject for this campaign...i already built my Wirraway kit.

Andrew
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've pressed the button and I was the first to do it, I even beat the campaign leader to it! Ain't I a stinker !

F/A-18 Hornet or (horror of horrors) High Planes Beaufort. Or an F-111... Or something yet unthought of, almost six months to go until campaing start!

By the way, I would kindly like a ribbon with a kangaroo on if that isn't too much to ask for?

Magnus

I didn't even know a thread had been started!!

I will do my best Magnus.. I suppose the logical thing would be to incorporate the RAAF roundel in the ribbon.. It has a flying rat on it!

There is a huge range of aircraft to choose from so please encourage all your friends to join and make it an official campaign.

Thanks for all who have signed up so far.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 08:28 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback, Andrew. Red roo is a very cool and helpful site for this campaign.

I checked my Mirage kit yesterday. It is the Italeri/ESCI 1/48 kit. It has most of the stuff in the conversion set. Sidewinders, drop tanks, IIIO nose etc. The fuselage is probably too short as there is only a "standard" length fuselage included in the kit.
Checking the decal options I decided that I might want to build this as the French aircraft as there is a really attractive anniversary scheme included and the Australian scheme is overall aluminium.

I am considering to buy the Italeri/ESCI 1/48 Skyhawk kit. It has Australian markings included, so it could also be a cool aircraft for this campaign.

Anyway, I still have some months to decide.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 05:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am considering to buy the Italeri/ESCI 1/48 Skyhawk kit. It has Australian markings included, so it could also be a cool aircraft for this campaign.

Anyway, I still have some months to decide.

There is one small problem with your idea of doing the Skyhawk Jesper... it was never flown by the RAAF, only the Navy flew the Scooters... Not trying to be too picky, but...
pentlandexile
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:10 PM UTC
I'm in for this, got my citizenship in January so I need to start building RAAF subjects

Not sure what it'll be at this stage though.

Ben
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 01:57 PM UTC
Would anyone like a list of the aircraft operated by the RAAF from 1921 to the present?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 02:09 PM UTC
Can anyone help me with details of the ribbons? What size etc etc...

And a tutorial on banners would be good as well..
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Ribbons are 50 x 20 pixels, so no need to spend a great deal of time on detail that will not show at that resolution.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
I'll join in on this one as I have a few subjects in mind.
Removed by original poster on 03/15/09 - 01:57:03 (GMT).
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC
Here is the address for the campaign photo gallery.

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/24168
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:10 PM UTC
I was planning to build a RAAF F-4E for my personal Phantom II project. I think I can take it a little up in the list:} I joind in the gang too. Have fun everyone!
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 02:47 PM UTC
I'm in !!
My choices:
Not sure if there are any of these available OOB..with RAAF markings
de Havilland Vampire
Hawker Sea Fury
Phantom
Hornet

Can someone help me out since I don't know which maker or scale exist for these models with RAAF markings ?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in !!
My choices:
Not sure if there are any of these available OOB..with RAAF markings
de Havilland Vampire
Hawker Sea Fury
Phantom
Hornet

Can someone help me out since I don't know which maker or scale exist for these models with RAAF markings ?

Hi John.

You are in luck! All of those kits have been available at one time or another with RAAF markings. Currently, Hobbycraft of Canada have a 1/32 Sea Fury in Australian markings.. but alas it is RAN markings, not RAAF markings.

There are many manufacturers of after market RAAF decals out there. I am going to build the Revell C-17 Globemaster II using aftermarket RAAF markings, or maybe a 1/32 Revell Mirage III with RAAF markings.. Or an F111... Or a Mustang.. :-)

Welcome one and all to the build which is only a few months away from its starting date.

Regards

Warren
 _GOTOTOP