_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1/48 Fokker D.VII ( Schwerin )
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
While feeling a little out of the loop here for not building anything . I was planning on doing the Dr.I , but I don't have enough refs for that build yet to where I feel confident enough . Since I have done one of these kits already and with there being very little rigging , It should be easier to ship it later with out too much damage . Not sure on what markings I will go with yet . Already have a stripe one , so it will be different . Not sure if I will detail this one as I did with the other one .

Well the Gallery seems to be down right now so when it's up and running once more I'll have pic's posted of the kit . . .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
I have my marking choice for this .

I will be doing C. Alfred Greven of Jasta 12 1918 . Lozenge decals will be used from Microsculpt line .

The Gallery is still down , yes I know about photobucket but this way is less frustrating for me and works well for me . Pic's will be once the a solution has been found .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 04:36 AM UTC
Well I did it here is a pic of the kit .

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:15 AM UTC
Stripes Terri?.....how unusual...*grins*........
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
No stripes this time there Keith . I'm going with something different . going with these markings .........................

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:43 PM UTC
I have a pic of this aircraft (Greven) in a partly dissasembled state after the war. It looks to me like it has a BMW engine, though it is a small photo and hard to tell- it think the guns are sitting a bit higher on the decking than for a Mercedes aircraft.

The Roden kit comes with both engines of course. What will you do about the cowlings, as it is a late Fokker built aircraft, the Roden kit is an early?

Anyway looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Fokker DVII's are like Bf109's to me...can never really build too many...

Andrew
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 01:05 AM UTC
is gobsmacked
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
Ltn.d.R. Alfred Greven, total 4 victories, found to be with Jasta 12 in August 1918 til then end of the war. "Over the Front" had a series some years back on JG II and detailed information on the member Jastas. This was one of the finest works authored by the late Rick Duiven. Check out (Vol. 9 #3, 4, & Vol.10, #1 ). Greven's lightening bolt was also found on a SSW D.III.

http://www.overthefront.com/main/index.html
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi Andrew , What I was planning on doing was sanding down the cowls and replacing the details with new plastic stock . I have etched parts to replace these items, but not enough for the project . Top parts of the cowl I will not use , show some of the detail to the engine . You are right on can't have enough in the collection , there is so many marking options for this aircraft , few more with stripes planned in the future .

Hi Keith ! I'm waiting for the wing nut kit to come out

Thanks for the info there Stephen . I have the markings for the SSW D.III . Would be nice to have a new tooling of this kit in 48 scale . However I don't think that will happen with the Roden release of this kit as well as the Wing nuts . A Girl can dream !!!!!!!

I start with the assemble of the wings , not worth a pic yet . I will not be able to use Micro sculpt decals , not enough to finish the project with . So I will rob them from an Eduard kit . Even with the Roden ones there isn't enough to do the inside of the fuselage . So the lozenge will not be the correct colours , but I have to use what I have on hand . I should have pic's up of my progress this weekend . This work thing gets in the way !!!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
I have done some work so far . Lozenge is on the top surfaces of the wings and the engine has been painted as well as lozenge in the inside of the fuselage halves . Other detail painted is also done . ............................now back to 190 to get that bird done ...

more to follow after these short messages ..............................
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
Here are some progress pic's of this project .

I had to make a new hand pump , the carpet monster ate the kit one . The lozenge is from a Eduard D.VII kit . I'm out of seat belts so I will make some out of tamiya tape

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 06:25 PM UTC
Okay this might not be a Wingnuts kit or a 32 scale , but more progress has been done . The front cowls have been glued in place , engine installed , now comes the fun part of sanding off the detail on the cowl and change it to a late Fokker built . I will start with the bottom lozenge on the wings now that the clear coat has had time to fully cure .
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 06:40 PM UTC
As well as the lozenge, it looks like you've also stolen the instrument dials from an Eduard kit too?

Looking good so far. I still have to get another one of these in 1/48 someday, i still have to do a Finnish "splinter camo" version.

Andrew
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 04:47 AM UTC
Thanks Andrew , yes the instruments are from a Eduard kit which I rob out of the Dr.1 .
I will be getting more of these kits as well . Still have to build the Eduard kit , I'm curious to see how it builds compared to the Roden kit . The Roden molds are starting to show there wear of the plastic parts . More fitting issues then the last one I did and the right side of the fuselage didn't have all the frame work . Still though it is an enjoyable kit to build .
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 01:25 PM UTC
I've built three each of the Roden and Eduard kits. As you would expect the Eduard kit builds easier, but i still prefer the shape of the Roden kit. Plus i like the Roden engine and seperate cowls- even though it does take more work. In reality i'd happily build either kit- just depends on which one i find for what price.

Don't lose your spare Roden engines either, they can fit without too much extra work into the Eduard fuselages and look better. The Eduard kit cheats by representing the BMW engine by simply using a different inlet manifold...so it sits too low for a BMW.

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built three each of the Roden and Eduard kits. As you would expect the Eduard kit builds easier, but i still prefer the shape of the Roden kit. Plus i like the Roden engine and seperate cowls- even though it does take more work. In reality i'd happily build either kit- just depends on which one i find for what price.

Don't lose your spare Roden engines either, they can fit without too much extra work into the Eduard fuselages and look better. The Eduard kit cheats by representing the BMW engine by simply using a different inlet manifold...so it sits too low for a BMW.
Andrew

As I demonstrated in my Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII Weekend build.
Seen Here.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
Yeah I find the Eduard engines could use some up dating on their molds . It's the one area which really lacks of detail . I have saved the engines from my Roden kits which will replace the Eduard ones and a few from online from trades .

Thanks for that Stephen , it was very enjoyable build to watch and is always nice to have a refresher every now and then . I will tackle the Eduard kit one day , maybe .

i do hope to have some more progress pic's up this weekend ...................
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
Here are front cowl panels with the new detail added . Almost ready for primer and then paint !

Can any one recommend the shade of blue I should use ?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC
I'm ready to shoot the blue paint now . Spent some time mixing different shades and have come close to the cobalt blue eduard calls for . Once the paint has dried pic's will be up .
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing them pics Terri
Rogga
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC
Nice work so far Terri , really impressed with all those selfmade small details on the frontcowls , looking foreward to more pictures
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:41 PM UTC
Thanks Keith and Roger . Nice to see that some folks are still instereted in 48 scale
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 12:41 AM UTC

I agree, Terri. excellent work. Very nice upgrade work on the louvres.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
Thanks Mark ! nice to have some feed back . Here are the pic's for the blue I came up with . They colour is a little darker then in the pic's . It matches the blue called for in the Eduard instructions . I made several small batches and put blobs next to the pic and waited for those to dry and then pic the closet one . I like the colour so much I mix a small jar of it . The colour of paint I used was Testors turquoise # 2765 and blue # 1111 . Can't recall what the mix ratio was for I just keept adding the turquoise little at a time and didn't write this down .

Sorry about the pic's , wasn't a great day for photo taking ................................
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Nice bright colourful addition to your line up once she is done Terri
 _GOTOTOP