Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
P51 campaign proposal for 2010
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 11:53 PM UTC
Thanks Terri.

1/48 is too big and the temptation to detail is too great.

Lovely kits in 1/48 though.
I've splashed out on 2 Tamiya Mossies, AccMin Il-2 and avenger and Eduard Roland C-II.

Under a tenner each off evilbay.

And I feel awful about it.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 07:11 AM UTC
Thanks Terri, I'm glad you liked my Mustang. I must admit I've got 3 or 4 each of P-51B's and the same again for P-51D's in the stash. I think the next ones though will be RAF Mk III and a OD USAAF B + D. I dread NMF!

thanks
Mike
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 09:30 AM UTC
If anyone is struggling to finish in time please remember that entries can be still be finished after the closing date of the campaign and ribbons can still be awarded purely at the discretion of the campaign leader.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:56 AM UTC
The rules state for this campaign that NO extension will be given .

After Jan 31 ribbons will be award to the folks who have finished their builds before the deadline , not after .

This still stands .

The Campaign Leader

Terri
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 12:02 PM UTC
And Ms Terri is a total soft touch too

Well I for one won't be testing that theory and getting me build done in time.

This isn't quite finished, but the boys have pinched the white (gloopy) glue to make castles and space rockets.

1/48 Accurate Minatures P51

Decals for props, some light weathering on the exhaust and guns and that should be it.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 02:02 PM UTC
Beautifully done JP, it's great to see a pony with big barrels, we don't see many of them built in that model.

Oh, and I worked out why you had so much trouble getting the paint finish nice and even, you're just not used to throwing colour at that much ACREAGE !!

Cheers, D
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 02:42 PM UTC
Don't forget the landing light covers there Jaypee ! I'm not a big fan on the colour yellow , but the ID bands really set this off nicely .

It can be hard doing a kit out off the box so I hear you on adding the detail to a kit . So I make sure I have a few 72 scalers in the stash . They make a fun quick build

You know D , I think your right !
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 03:59 PM UTC
I've always admired how JP seems to go for the more unusal subjects. That's huge of him.

I'm sneaking in under the wire right behind JP, with my little Aussie pony.

I tried to dirty it up a bit, thinking the real one was likely a busy little airplane. This was my first try at weathering, though, and I probably overdid it somewhat. Still have to worry about the open cockpit and some touch-ups. Should have final photos on Sunday.

Guy
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 05:59 PM UTC
Great work Guy, far and away the most attractive scheme in the Campaign

The weathering doesn't look overdone to me, not too much, not too little, juuuuuuuuuuuust right !!

Cheers, D
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:49 PM UTC
You are just motoring right along Guy!

I agree with D , your weathering turned out just right . Not to much and not to little . For your first time you did very well . Learning to weather your builds will come more in time so keep at it
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Guy, far and away the most attractive scheme in the Campaign

The weathering doesn't look overdone to me, not too much, not too little, juuuuuuuuuuuust right !!

Cheers, D

I second that. Really nice scheme. As for unusual? This P51 is straight outta the box.

@Terri. Don't worry not forgotten the light covers. But you've got me thinking to add the lights. No!!! must build OOB.

@Damo. exactly! I'm used to a few drops in the cup being enough. I think the gloss coat killed most of the variation though.

Looks like Murray is British again for a day, don't worry he'll be Scottish again once he gets a tennis lesson in the final.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
[quote. As for unusual? This P51 is straight outta the box.

I think the gloss coat killed most of the variation though. quote]

JP, if that P-51 is OOB, that's fantastic. I don't have one of those in the stash.

As far as gloss coat goes, it seems to cover and hide alot of your hard work. Aside from being a protector, it disquises the mistakes one makes, and removes from the effect one is trying to create. So theres good and bad in it.

For my model, I used 'Future' as a topcoat to protect the finish and decals. Final covering was Testors Dull Coat, sprayed on with an HP-C. In my opinion, the results are quite satisfactory, although I was bonused to see my heavy weathering was hidden somewhat. To me, that was helpful in hideing my heavy handwork in overweathering, but, my efforts in a wash disappeared.

I'm nearly done, and I'm waiting for glue and paint to dry, and tommorrows daylight so I can take some photos.

I'm not an experienced modeler, but, with life and five children, I do try. The wife is in the Philippines enjoying the sun, and I got back last week from 920km north of here. I can assure you that ell is froze over.

Guy
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
here is my entry, 1/144 F-82.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 06:30 AM UTC
Cool build E-man ! NMF turned out really well . 1/144 though , that is small and wonder how it would look sitting next to Damian's build .

Thanks for taking part in the campaign and sharing your build with us .
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm done. And not with very much time left in the campaign. I'm confident that this is my best effort in modeling to date, and I'm really quite proud of this. I like it.

Now, once I refresh my memory as to how to post photos in the campaign log, the deed will be done. A #3 Squadron RAAF Mustang in the collection.

Guy
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 08:07 AM UTC
Guy, thats the best colours for a Mustang! RAF colours and markings always make a better aircraft! I'll be doing an RAF when I can get my hands on another Academy P-51B.

thanks
Mike
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 01:13 AM UTC
Well done Guy ! she turned out really well And yes a very colourful bird , the most in the GB ! Thanks for taking part in the GB and sharing your cool build !

Today is the last day for the campaign . You will until mid-night get your build in before the dead line . Tomorrow I will start handing out the Ribbons
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm confident that this is my best effort in modeling to date, and I'm really quite proud of this. A #3 Squadron RAAF Mustang in the collection.

Beautiful work Guy, and to put your best work into an Aussie subject, what can I say ??

Sit back and enjoy this one in the display cabinet mate.

Cheers, D
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC
Thankyou friends, for your kind words of support. And 'D', I thought the Aussie example was so colorful it begged to be built. Do you know, I opened about a dozen different paint bottles for this one.

Terri, I placed a couple of photos in the Campaign Log as per the rules. Thanks for the wonderful campaign.

Guy
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC
This ole pony has made it home.

Jeez I forgot why I don't use the site gallery. What a pain!!
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 06:18 PM UTC
cursors foiled again. Now I'm 0 fer 2. Oh well I did a lot better on the finish than the last time and I'm only half done.
1994:

2010:

Now that I've got the airbrush tuned up and cleaned out, A couple of sessions in the paint shop and I'll be able to share this with the group.

Thanks folks, it's been fun, I've seen a lot of good models and I learned a bit.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 12:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the campaign I look forward to the next one
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 01:35 AM UTC
Just in time Jaypee ! She looks super and the weathering in nicely done .
Thanks for taking part in the GB and is always a pleasure to have you taking part !

Well Mark , you made a good run at it and didn't give up . Knowing that you are busy and a slow builder . You gave others lots of support and encouargment through out the GB with humor ! For this you will get a ribbon . Folks who give their heart and soul in aiding others are top notch in my books . You earned it my friend !

Well that's it folks the campaign is now finished . I will start giving out the ribbons later on today once I go through everything .

This is also the last campaign I will be doing . These are a lot of work and time consuming which I don't have time for anymore . I need a break and need to get caught up on my projects .

I thank-you all for taking part and sharing your builds and having fun .
Also a big thanks to Justin and Damian for helping as well when needed . You guy's are awesome !
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 03:40 AM UTC
Anytime
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guy, thats the best colours for a Mustang! RAF colours and markings always make a better aircraft! I'll be doing an RAF when I can get my hands on another Academy P-51B.

thanks
Mike

Erm, no.. that is a RAAF aircraft thank you!