Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Two Seater Campaign Roden Raf B.E.2c Terri
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guy's . This is my pick for the campaign . I'll be starting some time this week and will have pic's up when progress has been made

Hi, Terri; how do you do? I was wondering how do you achieve that traslucent sepia look on this kind of wing? I have see some works on this kind of wings and they look beautiful.

Let's do some plastic.

Byron
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
Many thanks Bub and thank you for the links as well they will be helpful

Grenadier , you can pick up the smoke invisible thread at any sewing shop . Walmart should also have it in their sewing department . You can get the clear type at a dollar store as well . Never seen the smoke there but the clear yes .

Thanks Gregory , really you never tried it before ? It's easly to do with many different methods as well . Will will great inside the strutter

Hi Byron !

Well depending on what marking option I will go - still up in the air on that . But If i do an all dope version I would prime the wing first with a light grey . Decals of the natiol markings would be placed on the under side of the top wing followed by a few coats of clear so the decals won't lift for the next step .

All the ribs and internal strucuture get masked of with thin strips of masking tape with the wing spars done a little wider . Black and brown paint gets mixed and thinned for spraying . Just the edges of the tape get sprayed . Let dry remove tape and spray the clear dope linen in light pass's building it up to the desired effect . You should able to make out the shadows of the ribbing and the national marking . Clear coat, finish off the decals on the top of the wing making sure the line up with the under side of the top wing . Fuselage framing can be done in the manner as well with the tail surfaces .

Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 10:14 PM UTC
That´s a good start there Terri,keep the pics coming, please..

Larsa Q
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 03:24 AM UTC
It is coming along very nicely. Not a cat hair in sight.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 02:06 AM UTC
Small up-date ....the right side of the fuselage framing has been rigged . Instrument panel is done and fix in place and the halves joined together . Disaster struck when fitting the lower wing/floor assemble . Slip out of my hands and ended up breaking off the parts from the floor It was at this stage which I decided to call it a night before I made matters worse . Will have progress pic's up once the repairs have been made .

Thanks Lars , your build is moving a long very nicely .......

Carl , still lot's of time for Blau to leave a few hairs here and there before this project is finished
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC
Oh dear
Hade a similar thing with my DH-4 Passengerbuild.Starting up all masking of the fuselge and the windows fell in in the fuselage. With some surgery and a few hours of work this build is back in again, U can always repair.
Cheers
Larsa Q
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Thanks Lars , tha't what I did and was able to get some more progress done on this build .

Here are some pic's of that progress .....

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:24 AM UTC
The main wings aren't glued in place yet still have some work to do on the fuselage as you can see I was off on the srcibbing and need to fix that .

I also had trouble with the fuselage getting to line up . The left side had a slight wrap to it and the bottom had an up side down " v " shape . I tried wages bet that just made the matters worse then they were already so off cam Rodens wing spar and lots of putty . N new wing spar was made from brass tubing and brass pins mounted to the wing root .
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 06:05 AM UTC
Yep, this is the bad spot on this kit.When masking mine I was real nervous,I just could feel the wings mowing under my fingers more than once.That´s a god tip for the next builder off this kit, just to refix the wings in your way as a buildingstage.
I´m just hoping mine will hold together until its secure by the topwing.

Larsa Q
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 02:46 PM UTC
Terri,
Nice recovery on the wing spars! The interior looks nice, well done so far.
RAGIII
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 03:32 AM UTC
So far Lars this seems to be the only bad part of the kit for fit issues and weekness and I hoping the the brass pins will do the trick on add strenght . At least doing it this way the wings can mounted after the major painting is finished and final assembly can begin .

Thanks Rick , there are a few things in the pit I would have loved to have changed ( All of it ) but I only have six months for this build and way to many other projects on the go .
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
Terri,
Great progress.I'll be looking forward to seeing more.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
You have adapted and overcame a problem, did great work on the interior and are making great strides to completion. It looks good thus far Terri. I am looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers
Mark

budpearson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hi Terri,
Outstanding detailing. Great job, so far. I stumbled on Larsa's thread looking for yours, so I gave him a heads up on the decaling (see Larsa's thread - Don't want to type it twice).
Looking forward to more progress pics.
Cheers,
Bud
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 01:41 AM UTC
Thanks Bud ! I'm hoping to shoot the primer on her this weekend and start the masking of the ribs .
Then I can start with the engine which is nice but doesn't have the cooling fins on the cylinder jackets .
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi Terri
Have U decided witch decaloption u´l go with yet?For me, have not yet decided, we will just have an decalisseu here again

Larsa
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri
Have U decided witch decaloption u´l go with yet?For me, have not yet decided, we will just have an decalisseu here again

Larsa

Good day My friend ! Lars , I have made up my mind on which option I will go with and it's # 6
budpearson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:12 PM UTC
Great choice, Terri. The only kit decals you need are the fin codes. The roundels you can get anywhere. I chose 4395 partly for that reason. In spite of what the kit instructions say, all photos indicate there were no roundels on the top wing on mine. Made things a little easier. There's a beautiful photo of your bird on page 24 of the Datafile. No gun or bombs, but you get to use the underwing gravity tanks. Makes for an interesting profile. Can't wait to see more pics.
Cheers,
Bud
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC
Hi!! been checking this early aviation forum for some time now, Came to the conclution that if I ever do one of this WWI airplanes, the following things will happen
1.- I will be hookrd, for sure.
2.- my modeling skills will improve by 150%.
3.- will have to start reading back in history books.
Boy!!, I am in for troubles

Let's do some plastic.

Byron
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi!! been checking this early aviation forum for some time now, Came to the conclution that if I ever do one of this WWI airplanes, the following things will happen

Let's do some plastic.

Byron

4.-Not forgot to send in some pics off the build

Larsa
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Byron and welcome to the group. The only trouble you will be in for is in the decision making alogrithm as to what to do next.
Cheers

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's do some plastic.

Byron

Yes to all of the above. Just do one.

Which one are you thinking about doing?
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:22 PM UTC
Hi Terri,

Nice to see you building this (Your photography is getting better and better all the time, as is your Modelling).

That Lower Main Plain mounting method looks familiar. Just ensure that the join is ecure bofore you try to mount the Upper Main Plain... I had hells own trouble.

Cheers,

Hugh
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great choice, Terri. The only kit decals you need are the fin codes. The roundels you can get anywhere. I chose 4395 partly for that reason. In spite of what the kit instructions say, all photos indicate there were no roundels on the top wing on mine. Made things a little easier. There's a beautiful photo of your bird on page 24 of the Datafile. No gun or bombs, but you get to use the underwing gravity tanks. Makes for an interesting profile. Can't wait to see more pics.
Cheers,
Bud

Hi Bud I'm back to the state of being undecided once more . Found my copy of Squadron Singles in Action and was going through the pages so now I'm having a look at trainer aircraft which are more on the colourful side . Glad I still have time for this build , just might get her done !
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri,

Nice to see you building this (Your photography is getting better and better all the time, as is your Modelling).

That Lower Main Plain mounting method looks familiar. Just ensure that the join is ecure bofore you try to mount the Upper Main Plain... I had hells own trouble.

Cheers,

Thanks Hugh , I'm planning on adding some ( u ) shape straps by drilling two small holes on either side and fixing them in place . I'm trying to think ahead on this for this build once the top wing is mounted there is a bit of weight on the lower wing . Also on planning to do the cab struts out of bammboo , giving the center section same added strenght which plastic won't do .

Hugh