_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1:48 Fokker D.VII
captnenglish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 12:53 PM UTC
First off let me say sorry if this is the wrong forum, I new around here. I just get the above kit from a club raffle and I am pretty jazzed as I am getting back into aircraft modelling, especially WWI subjects. I know that there are several threads on this site about ths kit, but I can't find any that state whether or not it can be built OOTB. I haven't built a model airplane in 30 odd years (I am a figure modeller), the modelling budget is tight of late, so while I don't mind some AM bits, I prefer none. so can this kit be built OOTB and make a decent model?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 01:38 PM UTC
Firstly..Yes this is the right forum...Welcome, come in and sit right down.

I havent built this kit myself but have heard favourable comments about it, I think it all depends just how detailed you want to go with it but I think a set of etch machine gun jackets. Eduards probably do a set ot etch for this kit. it's minimal rigging, and I think a very good kit to whet your teeth on. One thing I'm not sure is the quality of Roden's decals but plenty are available AM.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I, (I have built Eduards DVII) will post and offer much more comprehensive advice.

Keith
captnenglish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
Thank you for the response. I think I can handle a PE set, I have some experience with them from doing dios. I am just glad to hear I don't (though some will probably suggest)have to buy AM kits that are going to cost me ten times what the kit cost, like the last plane I picked up.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 06:08 PM UTC
As keith has already said it let me repeat it, Welcome! You will have a relatively easy build with the Roden kit. One thing to be concerned about is the same issue the Eduard kit has. The lower wing union is very tight and can create anhedral.

This causes the lower wing tips to bow down. The best method to fix this issue is to simply file down the lower wing sections (they come in halves upper and lower) at the root - where they butt against the fuselage lower wing socket.

On the earliest issue of the kit #415 the front legs of the outer wing struts were marginally too short. This was fixed on subsequent issues of the kit. Roden ; parts for one of two complete detailed specific engines. Internal structure are separate molds. Option for either closed cowling or totally open cowling. Cockpit details are good with the exception of the kit flooring. The molded parts are slightly off center. It does have the fuel pressure hand pump for the fuel tank. IMHO the landing gear legs are too weak and should be replaced. By the way Part of Poland does a brass etched detail fret for this kit.

Just for the sake of having them in one place. For more reading on the various license built Fokker D.VII represented in kit form.
Click here
Click Here II
Click Here III
Click Here IV
Click Here V
Click Here VI
Click here VII
captnenglish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 06:31 PM UTC
Stephen, thank you for the links, they will make for some very interesting and informative reading, with some elbow grease and the Eduard PE set, one can make a fairly reasonable Fokker D VII with the Roden kit. As someone who has built a plane in over 30 years, I would rather found the kit a good home than have to spend much more than the MSRP (which I did not pay) of the for AM sets. Also I saw in Keith's post that there might be a problem with the kit supplied decals, if this is so, can you recommend an alternatve? Thank you again.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 07:46 PM UTC
Yes, the kit can be built in to a decent scale version of the original.
captnenglish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 04:11 AM UTC
Thank you. Is there an issue with the decals?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 04:13 AM UTC
i WOULDNT SAY FOR CERTAIN THE KIT DECALS ARE BAD BUT i'VE HAD A FEW UNPLEASANT OCCURANCES WITH THEIR ;32 DECALS WHICH ACCORDING TO RUMOUR HAVE NOW GREATLY IMPROVED..NATIONAL CONTROLS AS OPPOSED TO rODENS QUALITY, SEEMS THEY DO THEM IN HOUSE NOW SO ITS BETTER...BUT 1;32 IS LARGER AND SUBSEQUENTLY MORE FRAGILE...OOPS sorry bout the caps lock..lol
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 04:25 AM UTC
Welcome to the site, and be warned, these early aviation kits are real addictive. This site has the best early aviation section around. I think you will like it here.

It is a very good kit. I have built it and have a few more in stash. You really do not need any extra PE or decals, but they can be used. If you want new decals, Microsculpt are the best. Texture decals are a real nice upgrade to think about also.

http://www.microsculpt.com/decals.html
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi Matthew and welcome to the site .

Yes the Roden kit builds up to a nice looking D.VII . I have a few under the belt. In my profile Rodens kit done up in Ulrich Neckel's D.VII with the cowling panels off . Even though it wasn't built fully out of the box ( scratch cockpit and detail engine ) the only trouble was the fit off the lower wing, as to what Stephen has said. Test this area well for fit as you sand / file. The other one which I did built out of the box I sanded to much of the area of the top half of the lower wing.

The Eduard set would be handy for the seat-belts , gun jacket's and smaller details with out breaking the bank. IMHO the kit really doesn't need after market stuff.

As to the decals, well they can be a pain sometimes ( just being honest here ) in the range of hit and miss. With care they can be used. If the lozenge and rib taping scare you a little , there are other markings which don't have lozenge .

If you have any questions just ask and share your build with us !
captnenglish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 04:40 AM UTC
Thank you to everyone that posted, I think I can honestly say that I am looking foreward to this project now. This will be a future project as the WB is a tad crowded, but that will give me a chance to gather up what I need, the Eduard PE set, maybe new decals, references, some courage to not only tackle something different, but something in 1/48th and of course a crew (hey I am a figure guy ).
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
For the Roden kit think about getting the "Part of Poland" aftermarket brass. Its made for the Roden kit. But they give you some extra pieces that don't really go with certain licence built versions of the Fokker D.VII.

As to the decals they can be challenging, but there are ways to get the job done.

click here.
captnenglish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
Does Part of Poland have a website or do the usual suspects here in the states carry them, I am not familiar with the company.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC
http://www.part.pl/

Early production version.

Late production version.
captnenglish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC
Thanks, I might hold off on getting ths one until I get a few more aircraft under my belt especially since I am trying to keep this one as OOTB as possible, but I will keep ths in mind while I am collecting things for this project.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does Part of Poland have a website or do the usual suspects here in the states carry them, I am not familiar with the company.

Mike Taylor has been an excellent source for me stateside regarding Part photoetch. His site is www.misterkitusa.com. Part PE can also be acquired from Rollmodels (www.rollmodels.com) but I think their prices are a bit on the high side.

I also add my welcome as another new member who was warmly welcomed just a couple days ago.
captnenglish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 09:25 AM UTC
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome. Dennis, thank you for the tip on getting PoP PE (how's that for brevity).
 _GOTOTOP