Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Proposal - Matchbox Nostalgia
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Leslie, outstanding work !!

Guy, my friend your stash is in serious jeopardy !!

And here's my effort . . . .

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC
Nice choice, Leslie. Incredible what can be had for a little money on Ebay. Those memories

Damian, maybe it is time to propose this one? I am sure more people would join when we get a page for sign up and a few links on our profiles to promote the campaign.
Watimena
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:34 PM UTC
I'm in for this one. Definitely up for a nostalgia treat. I actually quite like buying kits second hand, it adds to the mystery.

I was also wondering about some time down the track a campaign on offbeat or obscure aircraft or kits. Or perhaps a price limit, it must be second hand and not pay more than 5 bucks or something like that. Has there been before on this site?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 01:50 AM UTC
I need some memory jogging help here. One of my favorite Matchbox airplane kits was a twin engined US medium bomber. I believe it came with two different noses, one glass with a bombadier and the other solid with guns, probably .50 cals.

I'm failry certain the box art was the gunship with a dark green and OD camouflage scheme, Green Hornet nose art comes to mind.

Was this the A-20 Havoc?

Edit: Yes, it was. Found the box art on the above Matchbox site, A-20G Havoc, PK-120.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 02:16 AM UTC
Good you found it,Sabot. I was just going to suggest it could have been the B-25, but the Havoc is also a beauty.

As I see it we are up to 7-8 people for this campaign.
Damian
Jesper
Sabot
JP
Leslie
Mar
Grant
Waren(?)

2 or 3 more and I have ourselves a campaign Any takers?
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC
Is Mar supposed to be me, Mark, MD72?

I've got a few '80s vintage kits I'm considering for this one.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 06:57 PM UTC
Ok guys and gals, I'm getting ready to submit this, how about some feedback on the rules and regs:

Matchbox Flying Nostalgia Campaign

1. Kit must be in original Matchbox pakaging, not a re-pop.
2. Any scale, any era, aircraft or helicopters
3. If your kit is supplied with the "M"-stand, you must use it.
4. Kit decals should be used if possible, but may be beyond help, so alternate markings allowed.
5. Build as many kits as you wish, but only 1 ribbon will be awarded per person.
6. Dioramas welcome but not required.
5. Most important rule of any Reg Campaign, have fun, enjoy your build, share your progress with us all.

Timing, I'm thinking of starting July 1, 2011 and 8 months run time.

Thoughts anybody ?
Watimena
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hmm, could the "M" stand be optional? I presume this is the clear plastic stand which lets you show it in flight

Some people may want the standard gear down look. Although from memory, you can probably have both, it just leaves a little slot in the belly, which wont matter. As long as the stand is used for the money shot.

So count me in. Have to start on the prowl for a kit now....
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As long as the stand is used for the money shot.

So count me in. Have to start on the prowl for a kit now....

Spot on Jeremy, welcome aboard !!

Cheers, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 09:17 PM UTC
Sounds great, Damian. I think the rules are very good. It allows some diverse builds.

For those who want to chack out what kits are available Ebay is a good place to start. HERE you can see what kits are available on the UK site. Other Ebay sites are bound to have even more kits available.

Looking forward to get started
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hi all. I must apologise that I haven't made any further progress with this Campaign proposal, but rest assured that I have not forgotten it.

I will put together a request over the next few days.

Has anybody turned up any interesting kits for us ?

Cheers, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 09:56 PM UTC
I have a huge stash of Matchbox kits, so I am more than ready to start.

There are actually quite some small gems in the Matchbox range. Both in 1/76, 1/48, and in 1/32.

At THIS PAGE you can see details on the different kits. Very helpful if you are buying kits on the internet. Then one can check out the decals and parts before buying.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 05:17 PM UTC
Ive seen one on eBay that i really like just have to wait 6 days for the listing to finish. Hope it does not get too much. It I get it I will be in for this one aswell
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
I have a 1/32 Dauntless in three colours, in an AMT box, but it has the Matchbox logo on the side. Are (were?) AMT and Matchbox the same company?? Also, it came to me with a pe set. If this is ok then I'm in.

Cheers

Simon
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
AeroScale: 144 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here are a couple of banners.

My, my, Jesper! Don't those banners bare a striking resemblance to something I've seen in the recent past!!!

I checked my stash and the only original Matchbox flying object I have is the Pk-413 Ch-47D Chinook. OTOH, I've got a selection of tracked and wheeled creatures by them. I might be interested in this campaign depending on the start date and duration. One can never have enough nostalgia to ground one as to where one is coming from.

Personally, during the campaign that I ran on Armorama our group decided to permit the Revell reboxings of the Matchbox kits. The reason was to attract the greatest number of participants and allow for the fact that in some areas of the world the originals would not be readily and inexpensively available.

A couple of notes in passing. Original Matchbox often had a 'Pk' number embedded/moulded into the sprue runner. This is present on the first few Revell reissues. The original sprues also had a 'Made in England' stamp on a sprue runner. The 'Made in' is visible on almost all of the Revell reissues but the 'England' is blotted out. The Revell parts should be identical to the original kits. The only real major changes made by Revell where the instruction format, painting directions in the kits and with the decals. But these latter two were not universally applied.

Cheers,
Jan
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 07:45 AM UTC
I could be in for this campaign as I have the 1/72 English Electric Lightning T55 in the stash somewhere
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I could be in for this campaign as I have the 1/72 English Electric Lightning T55 in the stash somewhere

Thats what you think.......................... yoink
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My, my, Jesper! Don't those banners bare a striking resemblance to something I've seen in the recent past!!!

Cheers,
Jan

He, he, yes, your campaign heavily inspired me/us to do the same on Aeroscale.
However, the banners themselves are made from scratch. I did not steal your banners, mostly because they would not fit this campaign as they needed to carry aircrafts.

I also tend to allow reboxings although the original kits can be bought very inexpensively at fx. Ebay.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[Personally, during the campaign that I ran on Armorama our group decided to permit the Revell reboxings of the Matchbox kits. The reason was to attract the greatest number of participants and allow for the fact that in some areas of the world the originals would not be readily and inexpensively available.

Hi Jan, and thanks for your comments and interest. I have no real problem with the re-boxings from the original Matchbox moulds, my issue is that I am not knowledgable enought to be able to easily identify them. I suppose as always I can rely on the good folk of the Kitmaker network to advise me.

Perhaps we need to put it to the masses again before I submit the request, what say you all, should we allow re-boxings in order to broaden the base of potential entries, or do we stick with the strict nostalgia direction and allow only original Matchbox packaging ??

Please remember as always my Campaign is not so much about huge numbers of participants, but about the subject matter and diversity of builds.

I look forward to your responses as we mould this proposal into a workable and enjoyable Campaign.

Cheers, D
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 11:36 PM UTC
Hello ! I like this idea the same as the Midway campign and I would be very happy If I could take part in it. The only catch for me is that I havent seen an original Matchbox kit in a while now, but I have the Revell rebox of the 1/72 Walrus for example. I dont know about others, but where I live are these original boxes realy hard to get. On the other side a Revell reboxing can be bough for ten bucks in every toystore and supermarket, not ten minutes of walk from where Im sitting now. The sprues in all Revell reboxings I recently bought (3-4 kits) were the same as the old Matchbox ones as I remembered them. It would be nice to have an excuse for putting some Revells into the basket next time I shop for grocery and socks
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no real problem with the re-boxings from the original Matchbox moulds, my issue is that I am not knowledgable enought o be able to easily identify them. I suppose as always I can rely on the good folk of the Kitmaker network to advise me.

Cheers, D

I think it will be quite OK to allow reboxings.

I can help sort it out if there is any doubt, but otherwise the fellow modeller wanting to build a model can always compare to sprue shots on the internet to ensure the build is a reboxing.

I am ready to help as second in command
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
Well I have won one of the ones I found on ebay but stalking another that finishes tomorrow So I might have to decide between two of them
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC
Ive decided on my entry

Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 11:05 PM UTC
@ Samantha: You have a real gem there ! That was one of the first models my father built many many years ago. I envy you sooo much right now !
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Great choice, Sam. I just bought the same kit on Ebay, but found out parts were missing.

Luckily I have lots of other Matchbox kits in my stash.