Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Proposal - Matchbox Nostalgia
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 01:32 PM UTC
Revell are doing a repop of the old matchbox gladiator so it might be worth asking them for a replacement. They have a contact link on the revell.de website and I've had to get a new fuselage half for a rotodyne I'm doing with the what-if campaign. I have had a letter saying my request is being processed and that it should be with me soon. They have not asked for any proof of purchase, so my guess would be that you could easily get a new canopy.
As for the rigging question, they are on the box artwork but there is no mention in the instructions. So maybe not adding it would stick to the out of the box rules of the campaign. It would also make my build easier lol
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 06:50 AM UTC
Nice campain idea, Damian!
Thus time I'll join in. After reading the thread all those warm and fuzzy feelings from way-back-then came to mind. Of cause Matchbox got me into modelling. Living almost directly in the direct line of approach of the Wildenrath RAF Airbase, I saw Lightings, Jaguars, Harriers, and Phantoms. Every other year there were flight shows where I clung to the airfield fence watching the Red Arrows, Vulcan bombers and quite a few veterans such as Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancasters. I wasn't able to afford a ticket to the airshopw, but my pocket money allowed me to visit the local toy shop and pic up a 72nd Matchbox kit on the following Monday. I usualy just broke the parts from the tree and put them together with all-purpose glue. I did paint them using Revell colours and cleaning the brushes with Moms nail polish remover (Lots of headwind coming from that corner for doing so...). Usually it didn't take me more than an hour or two to build, paint and decal these kits. Before dropping the hobby there was about no shelf or sideboard space free in my room. Everything was covered with model planes.
My favourites of the day were the Lysander, the Hurricane and the Beaufighter, because they were very rugged and could take a lot of punishment during my areal combats with the neighbourhood boys.
My least favourite was the Walrus, because I didn't manage to align the wings properly and that da***d landing gear would not stay on while playing. That is exactly why I chose the Walrus to participate in this campaign. Let's see, if I can do it now - 30 and some years later.
This is certainly going to be some fun.!
Cheers,
Guido
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Guido, and thanks for joining us here.
Your story is very familiar, and that's the main reason for my suggesting this Campaign. After the household chores were complete and the pocket money safely stashed, then the excitement of the purchase and the hasty construction the early Matchbox kits got thrown around the yard in my childhood as well.

I'm looking forward to watching your build.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 04:24 PM UTC
Time for the regular Reggie "BUMP" to keep the enlistees rolling in !

Everybody has one of these precision engineered, highly detailed, no need for After Market kits in their stash. I'm sure some of them have been there for 20 years or more ! Time to drag them down, dust them off and throw some chemicals at them.

The Campaign page is HERE if you want to check the Dates, Rules and Regulations.

We all need an OOB experience once in a while to remind ourselves where we began, so come join the fun.

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hey D. Dug out the F-86A I wanted to build but I noticed that I'd one a bit of work on it about 10 years ago. Looks like I tried to add some side consoles and a real Instrument panel. If it's OK with the group, I'd like to go with this one for the campaign.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 05:07 PM UTC
Hi Mark. I'm happy for you to build the F-86 if all that is done is some interior scartchbuilding.

Time for a BUMP as well I suppose, who else is up for some psychedelic styrene capers ?

Cheers, D
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 07:44 PM UTC
@Damian: I'm all ready with the 1/32nd scale Revell (Matchbox)Sea Venom in Aussie markings! Just as a reminder Damian could you do a quick recap of the rules for this one? Just so it's close to the top when we start so to speak.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Damian: I'm all ready with the 1/32nd scale Revell (Matchbox)Sea Venom in Aussie markings! Just as a reminder Damian could you do a quick recap of the rules for this one? Just so it's close to the top when we start so to speak.

The Rules and Regs
1. Kit must be in original Matchbox packaging, or an obvious re-pop.
2. Any scale, any era, aircraft or helicopters
3. If your kit is supplied with the "M"-stand, you must use it for the Gallery photo.
4. Build must be "Out of the Box" with no aftermarket components (Yes, I know this may cause conniptions with some of us).
5. Kit decals should be used if possible, but may be beyond help, so alternate markings allowed.
6. Build as many kits as you wish, but only 1 ribbon will be awarded per person.
6. Minimum of 2 progress shots in the official campaign thread plus minimum of one shot of the completed build in the campaign gallery.
7. Dioramas welcome but not required.
8. Most important rules of any AussieReg Campaign, have fun, enjoy your build, share your progress with us all.

I will be starting an Official Campaign thread just prior to the start date and this thread will be locked.

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 08:52 AM UTC
Thanks D!

(Tried to wait a day or two to give you a free bump)
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 04:52 PM UTC
@Mark: Nothing wrong with a free bump fella!

@Damian: I'll start a build thread on this one to Damian to see if I can't encourage people to get their old 1/32nd scale Matchbox kits out of the stash!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Mark: Nothing wrong with a free bump fella!

True, let's throw another one in then !

Quoted Text

@Damian: I'll start a build thread on this one to Damian to see if I can't encourage people to get their old 1/32nd scale Matchbox kits out of the stash!

I'm doing a 1/32 Bf 109E, I think that there will be a fair spread of the various scales represented here !

Only 3 weeks until the flag drops on the starting line for this one folks, who's ready ?

Cheers, D
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 12:41 AM UTC
Me and my Walrus are standing by!
... and can't wait!

Guido
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 12:45 AM UTC
The Lightning T5 has been sat waiting patiently for the starting orders. I have that week off work so I'm going to try and do the build in a week (famous last words)
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 03:42 AM UTC
Me and my Venom are raring to go D! I can't wait to get it ON!
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 04:01 AM UTC
I just had to enlist, even though I'm way over subsribed in the campaign arena. I just couldn't say no. I'm just a modelling b#t&h.

Matchbox UC-64A Noorduyn Norseman. Three color white, yellow, and grey. Thats my entry.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 04:30 AM UTC
In the immortal words of Spongebob Squarepants

'Im ready, Im ready'

with my ickle 1/72 P-51 mustang still torn do I spray the plane or bare metal foil it
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 04:32 AM UTC
I should be ready to start the Seafox by the starting date. Hopefully it won't give me the same headaches as my current campaign build!
Revell have also announced plans to re-issue more Matchbox goodies this summer including the Stranraer, Canberra PR.9 and A-20.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 01:32 AM UTC
BUMP time again, inching closer to D-Day with 19 enlisted for some good, simple, old-fashioned, tragic OOB modeling with some seriosly horrendous coloured styrene. With no after-market goodies to complicate matters this might be all over in a week !

Let's see if we can round up a few more brave souls to walk the tightrope of ancient molds and dubious detail.

Cheers, D
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi, D!
Is adding material such as rigging yarn allowed?
Guido
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 03:44 AM UTC
I just saw this campaign and it has caught me by the privates. Not too sure what to build will have to dig. I do have a partially started He 112. I do know I have a few seaplanes taking up space that can enter this madhouse. Do not know what I am getting myself into too many gb going on.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 04:56 AM UTC
I did find the Do 18, Do10, Bf 109, drew out the Do 18 though questioning the colour call outs. In my opinion I think RLM 01,63, I have a toss up72/73. Missing a prop think I can cobble together another one from the spare bin.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 08:41 AM UTC
Reporting ready for duty! Walrus and spare decals prepared.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 09:51 PM UTC
My vickers Wellesley and I, are also ready !
I always admired this mysterious aircraft and now I really can't wait on start building it together with my S.D. Fortress

Cheers Nick
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, D!
Is adding material such as rigging yarn allowed?
Guido

G'day Guido.

We had a brief discussion regarding rigging at the bottom of page 4. I am of the opinion that if it is shown on the box art and there are rigging points in the mouldings, then go for it. I was more considering the resin and PE after-market accessories, just getting right back to basics, when deciding to make this Campaign OOB.

Everybody else happy with this plan?

Cheers, D
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 01:31 AM UTC
I don't mind yarn/rigging being applied to a kit if it calls for it but definitely no aftermarket etch or resin.