Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009 - 10 Albatros D.V - Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi MIkael:

Excellent Build. Really looks neat, and a great scheme! Simple but striking.

Best

Mark

Hi Mark – Thank You so much for your kind comments. I do find the scheme striking too – it does remind me of a football (soccer to you) team shirt, or perhaps rugby shirt?

Best Regards

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful job done Mikael and outstanding job on the weathering ! This is a stricking scheme indeed . Going to have to do this in 48 scale for my stripe and band collection .

Thank You so much Terri I had a feeling this scheme might be just your cup of tea

Kind Regards

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Really lovely work Mikael.

I just am so so envious about how your loz turned out, I wish I had done the same, I may yet on the DIII OAW but was hanging on to see what Pheon came up with, seems though they will be doing kit specific Lozenge and only thinking of releasing it in bolt form.
Niceley detailed too, not over the top AMS like some of us

I had cowling issues with my 1st DVa they fitted perfectly in dry runs, still it wont matter with No2

I cant wait to see your interpretation of Baumers machine.

Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:45 AM UTC
Thank You Kieth for your very kind comments on the build – they really warm me up in the gloomy autumn we're having here

I think a Lozenged DIII will be very striking, hope you will get around to do it one day.

In the meantime I'm really enjoying your AMS – DV no2 developing. De-constructing a kit and re-doing like that is really a facinating read and look for me. It does give me some ideas

Best Regards

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In the meantime I'm really enjoying your AMS – DV no2 developing. De-constructing a kit and re-doing like that is really a facinating read and look for me. It does give me some ideas

Thanks for the support of my insane idea. I do wonder sometimes why I can't just open a box and build without ending up with more parts than I started with.. Especially when I see results like yours here and so many other non dissected builds.

I'm so looking forward to seeing how your next Albi turns out.

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks for the support of my insane idea. I do wonder sometimes why I can't just open a box and build without ending up with more parts than I started with.. Especially when I see results like yours here and so many other non dissected builds.

I'm so looking forward to seeing how your next Albi turns out.

Keith

Hey Keith , With the few out of box builds I do . I do find it hard to stick with just OOB . Once you replace one item it leads into another and so on . When I'm doing an OOB I will clear the bench off put away all the scratch supplies and hide the ref's so they are out of reach . and two weeks later a kit is done . Well sort of . hehehe
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 03:35 AM UTC
WoW Who can beat that?Awsome,You done a good job there my friend. Just love the shadings and the build allover.
Would like to se this in Stockholm next year's IPMs event.

Larsa
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WoW Who can beat that?Awsome,You done a good job there my friend. Just love the shadings and the build allover.
Would like to se this in Stockholm next year's IPMs event.

Larsa

Hi Larsa

Thank You so very much for your great review I'm glad you like it.

It would be great to meet over our models in Stockholm, so far I've only done the IPMS show here in Göteborg, but I would really like to do Stockholm or C4 Open too!

Best Regards

Mikael
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 05:45 AM UTC
Mikael,
Congratulations on one Outstanding project my friend.The paint is excellent and the weathering is nothing short of amazing. No doubts your place very well in any contest you take part in.If not surely the Judges are completely blind.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 11:16 PM UTC
Gregory – good to hear from you my friend

And thank you so much for your very kind commnets on the build. We'll see about any competition – there are very many fine builds out there

Warm Regards

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
Mikael,
Incredible and truly inspiring results in all regards. (It's a far cry from your daughter's sock of months ago when we compared notes on sources!) Particularly blown away by the weathering/shading to say nothing of the lozenge results.
I'll be consulting this record a great deal when I get busy on mine; it is still in the box and hopefully will get some attention with the onset of another cold winter here. Looking forward to your DV results; lots to learn but work such as yours and others on this site is motivating to say the least.

Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Lance

Thank You so much for your very kind comments, also a big thank you for sharing your experience of doing Diltehys profile.

I'm sure your Albatros build will be a very rewarding one – looking forward to seeing some pictures of your progress as you go along.

Best Regards

Mikael
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 06:50 AM UTC
I add my compliments regarding your build, and I think you may get a parcel from WNW soon!

Did you know thta at least 2 more machines are coming out before Christmas?

I can't wait!! Oh dear.. I am turning into a WW1 nutter!
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 09:34 AM UTC
Mikael,
Another beautiful build! I can not think of a thing that isn't worthy of a WNW win!
RAGIII
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Warren and Rick

Thank You both for your very kind compliments on my build

We'll see about any parcels arriving in the near future – I really do think there are many great models in this groupbuild, that would merrit a box from WNW

Warren – Oh yes I check the WNW site every day for any news – almost becoming obsessive in my behaviour

Very best regards to you both

Mikael
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 12:41 AM UTC
That's a great build, really great

Cheers Nick
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a great build, really great

Cheers Nick

Thank You so much Nick – and apologies for late reply I ahve'nt looked at this therad for a while.

Best Regards

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I promised an update to this thread once the second WNW Albatros build was finished, so here we go

I did it up as Paul Baumers Jasta Boelcke D.V, using Pheon's decal sheet. This proved very excellent to use and Im pretty pleased with how it all turne out, althogh I saw some mistakes in details as I took these pictuers...

It seems this will not be my last D.V build from WNW. Rowan of Pheon is releasing a new sheet depicting Lt Wolfs OTT Bavarian Oktoberfest D.V of Jasta 5, and this proved hard for me to resist, so I've preordered this sheet as well as a new kit from NZ.

Thank You for looking

Any and all comments are as usual very welcome

Mikael

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
Love that rich wood look! Excellent build!!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hi Mikeal:

Congratulations on winning the WNWGB!!! I am sure it was a tough call for the WNW folks as there were so many good a/c, you did an excellent job. I really like this Paul Baumer bird. I think it was Carl von Althaus who told me that Paul Baumer was a freind of Eric Maria Remarque, the auther of "All Quiet On The Western Front", and named the chief character in the book after Paul Baumer. Is that sheet available from Pheon at this time?

Take care
Best

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Another fabulous build Mikael !
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love that rich wood look! Excellent build!!

Thank You so much Stephen for your kind commnets.

I tried a slightly different approach on the wood this time, than what's usual for me.

After reading among others Kornbeefs threads, I bought some Tamyia Clear Orange and Yellow, and applied this after doing the woodgraining with my usual oils (light yellow ochre and burned sienna, with some burned umber for the darker bits). This payed off with a deeper and richer hue.

Best Regards

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mikeal:

Congratulations on winning the WNWGB!!! I am sure it was a tough call for the WNW folks as there were so many good a/c, you did an excellent job. I really like this Paul Baumer bird. I think it was Carl von Althaus who told me that Paul Baumer was a freind of Eric Maria Remarque, the auther of "All Quiet On The Western Front", and named the chief character in the book after Paul Baumer. Is that sheet available from Pheon at this time?

Take care
Best

Mark

Hi Mark

And Thank You so much I feel very honoured to have been picked out among so many fine builds and modelers like yourself!

All quiet on the western front is still one of my favourite books of all time – I've heard the same story about the main characters name.

I think the real Paul Baumers life is a very faschinating erad, and I have been wanting to do one of his mounts for some time now...

And yes I do think this sheet is available now via Rowan Broadbent. If you look over at Aeroscale under the thread "Pheon news" I think you'll find what you're looking for.

My Warmest Regards on a very cold winters day here in Sweden

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 11:29 PM UTC
Thank You so much Terri (and that tripe of yours is looking really good!!!)

Warm Regards

Mikael
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 01:34 AM UTC
Mikael,

Both builds were stunning to say the least. Congrats on your victory! I love the wood grain and scheme on the D.V!
RAGIII