Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Knights of the Sky GB 2011
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we need an ordinary GB for WNW kits as well, as you said WNW Part 2, or WNW 2011.. I like building kits, not writing long reviews about building them...

I agree here. This seems to be getting to complicated. The original intent was a group build. WNW specific and that is all. There are plenty of reviews of kits both good and bad. We are getting in the weeds here. Let's just do a build blog on the new WNW releases since March of 2010 or whatever the criteria.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt- I don't think a reveiw in full is required for the Campaign, at least I don't see it as a decided requirement, but then again just pointing out difficulties in the the build is what most modelers look for in a reveiw. Last time was at a show somewhere most of the modelers took accuracy at level of "Walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, looks like a duck. must be a duck." However following one of Steffan's build logs and noting gaps and sink holes it might encourage me to buy that kit. However, Stephen has stated that nothing has been set in stone, and it may be likely that a regular build log will be fine.

I think Matt may be opting out do to his position as one of the Editors of Internet Modeler, not as a reluctance to do reviews. Just my take but I am sure Matt will explain if he so wishes. He is certainly experienced at build reviews!!
RAGIII
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Matt may be opting out do to his position as one of the Editors of Internet Modeler, not as a reluctance to do reviews. Just my take but I am sure Matt will explain if he so wishes. He is certainly experienced at build reviews!!
RAGIII

Exactly. Thanks, Rick!
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
Matt, i do apoligize. God forbid I read someone's sig line. I can understand a conflict of interest here.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 02:45 PM UTC
A review can swing in many directions and isn't based on the amount of ref's one has .

One can simple do a out of box review on how well the kit parts are molded , level of detail etc....etc ......

A build review on how well the kit goes together , any major fit issues , fit of the parts what paints are used etc...etc ...

Now if you want to get your hands dirty and you suffer from AMS you can do a real in depth review , missing panel lines , ones in the wrong place , missing rivets , wrong configuration of interior parts , wrong type of engine ...etc......etc ....

Like Stephen has said , nothing is set in stone yet and the GB is just not for WNW kits , but is open to all manufacture , all scale and subjects .

I like this idea and it will work . I also know that putting a contest on such as this is not an easy task and does take time to put together . ( example ) The contest on Swanny models took Rob and I about two months to work out the details and getting the sponsors . But Like Stephen has said we need the numbers to make it happen .

If some needs help with refs I'm sure folks here would be willing to help out with some info .All you have to do is ask ......

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 03:04 PM UTC
Historically Group Builds help the individual modeler & the community as a whole.

A. It usually provides information that one modeler knows but another may not.
B. Campaign ribbons are a mark of participation.
C. The modeler has a chance to push or stretch their talents and improve skills.

1. For the Aeroscale "Knights of the Air" Group Build 2011 and we will open it to:
a. All builds.
b. All vendors.
c. All scales.
d. New.
e. In progress.
f. Unfinished hangar queens. But must be finished for this GB.
g. Injection moulded.
h. Vacuform plastic.
i. Resin, metal paper or wood. The components can be any combination thereof.
j. Kit conversions.
k. OOB.
l. Super detailed.
m.Prototypes or main production versions.
n. Colour scheme from a real subject and relevant to your build.
o. The build cannot have been used in another GB.

2. It must be a real Early Aviation subject up to 1934.

3. Each participant will submit a build thread (in Early Aviation title) a blog with images. If the content meets conditions it will be considered for submission to Aeroscale for publishing as a front page Feature. A gallery will be set up for finished builds to be posted.

4. It will run from January 31st to December 31st 2011.

5. A campaign ribbon will be offered on completion.

6. Manufacturers will be approached and asked to honour the builder who uses their products in this GB build. There are no guarantees in this arena.

A sign up for the Camapign will be made ready in the next week.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC
I like it Stephen ! it opens it up to all manufactures and subject , perfect ! Even the hanger Queens and I know a few of us have them . This is a perfect op to bring them out and finish them . I had alot of fun in the last GB and looking forward to this one ............I.m in !
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing the GB start. Where's the Sing Up!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 05:37 AM UTC
Great Stuff! – I'll enlist once the link is up and running – this'll be great fun, and I'm in from the start this time around.

Mikael
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 01:34 AM UTC
I'm in.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 12:13 PM UTC
Count me in.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 12:32 PM UTC
Ok I can be a bit more forthcoming now. Over on the Campaign forum they are proposing a halt on all new Campaigns for the next year, I have seen this coming for a couple of years now and hence the reason we have focused on EA forum Campaigns. I have waited to speak further until they decided what was going to happen there.

Their moratorium will not effect us here. The Early Aviation 2011 Knights of the Air GB will run on this forum unhindered.

Though this "might" throw a kink into the Campaign ribbon issue. More later.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok I can be a bit more forthcoming now. Over on the Campaign forum they are proposing a halt on all new Campaigns for the next year, I have seen this coming for a couple of years now and hence the reason we have focused on EA forum Campaigns. I have waited to speak further until they decided what was going to happen there.

Their moratorium will not effect us here. The Early Aviation 2011 Knights of the Air GB will run on this forum unhindered.

Well IF there isn't going to be a campaign ribbon , no worries . I still join in the build for the fun -sharing that with the great folks here !

Got to find something to build now .....but what ........
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well IF there isn't going to be a campaign ribbon , no worries . I still join in the build for the fun -sharing that with the great folks here !

Got to find something to build now .....but what ........

I'm with Terri on this. It is for the fun and sharing the build with the great folks here. Let's do it!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 07:53 PM UTC
I agree with Terri and Mark – and I'm still in!

– Also I'll volounter to design a ribbon if this helps – I guess it could be mailed out to the participants instead and used as a desktop wallpaper or something

Mikael
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 08:15 PM UTC
Yes, I agree with the others: I do not partecipate in order to get a ribbon, I partecipate for the fun to share with you, grat folks!
So I'm in anyway!

ciao
Edo
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 12:39 AM UTC

Count me in too, but why a halt to campaigns?

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 04:43 AM UTC
The ribbons are a little bit corny if you stop and really think about it. I don't need a ribbon to enjoy a build. So I am still in.
alamotom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 09:01 AM UTC
There is a first time for everything. I'm in.
Saisei
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC
Having just started to build WW1 planes and missed the first I would love another Wingnut Build.

René
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 05:31 AM UTC
Looks like we got us a convoy
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 11:52 PM UTC
Few more days and we can begin with our builds ! Just need to have the sign up sheet ..............
czrtly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 05:41 AM UTC
Can I join? First post in this forum, first WWI kit... I have an already started an Eduard Oeffag 153 in the markings of Brumowskis 153.52 ... Although started I'm a very slow builder... Would join mostly to share and receive feedback/info on the project more than anything else!

A. Rivas
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 06:34 AM UTC
Kornbeef is in of course...
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I join?
A. Rivas

We like to have new faces join us in the fun and games. Of course you can join us.