_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Knights of the Sky GB 2011
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan...I'll try to come up with something as well. . . (where's JackFlash when you need him?), I'll look around to get some ideas.

See page 3 here for sign up!

You Called?

For Early Aviation GB 2011, I would like to suggest. . .

"In Enemy Hands." Real captured aircraft that were used for evals at fighter schools and employed unofficially local fighter units on both sides of the lines.1915-1918 I have some great references to share. Any scale or kit maker possible.

Or WNW GB part deux. This would continue in the same vein as the first BUT! It would included left over builds from the 1st GB and new builds. With 5 new kits available at this time (and maybe more before we can get this thing off the ground.)

Your comments, requests, votes for or against are welcome.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:22 PM UTC
I would be in with another WNW kit of a GB
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hi JackFlash!
Can't we just have both? They seem all vey intersting to me...
For myself, I think the captured planes is a too difficult a subject to tackle, but will be fun and instructive just to watch you guys work on it...
Also the WNW group build will be very intersting and, if my letter to Santa is fulfilled, I could also partecipate

ciao
Edo
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 07:23 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,

I would definately be up for another WNW groupbuild – I have a nice selection, that needs buillding.

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 08:37 PM UTC
I agree with Eduardo, I feel theres time to consider doing both.

I might even rig that SE5a one day.....with another WNW group build and that might give me courage to move over and tackle the LVG.

Enemy hands... now a nice option to build the tripe...not as I have a lot of allied aircraft oddly. Hmmm option options.

Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 01:55 AM UTC
I would love another Wingnut Build.
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 04:52 AM UTC
I say go with a WNW. That way I won't have to contribute.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 07:37 AM UTC
I too would like to participate in a WNW II Group Build.

Now if I could just figure out how to upload pictures...
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 02:19 PM UTC
Greetings all:

I like the idea of another WNW GB! However, with the abundance of new kits out there, not just WNW but Roden, both in 1/48 and 1/32nd, Avis, Amodel, Academy and of course "Encore", there are a lot of subjects that aren't covered by WNW alone. I also like the idea of captured a/c. Copper state has a nice sheet for Kissenbeths ( I think) Camel in 1/28. We just finished a WNW GB, why not have a GB with sub branches? A WNW specific, and then the rest, or; just a GB? To use an analogy that I oft use, it would be like an old fashioned, "Battle Royal" that the old AWA wrestling used to do to get crowds and renew enthusiasm. I believe it was Mikael Terrfors who did that great build of a Roden and Battle Axe Albatros D-III to an OEFFAG D-III, we have such talent here that to limit it to WNW is sort of a diservice to the members. Terri has done wonders in 1/48 and is presently working on another.
Just my controversial and verbose thoughts on a cold December 16th here in the great upper midwest.
Best

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:37 PM UTC
Very well put Mark,

Definately something for thought, not everyone embraces 1:32nd either, it would be a shame to in a way exclude some members because of scale size.

I'm sure though, especially if the timescale of the WNW build is long that we could run much more than one group build...and yes we shouldnt forget those other manufacturors that bring us other delights. A weeks time I'm opening my Roden Tripe and will trying not to start it...having 3 (all 1:32 - 2 Roden & 1 WNW) Albi's and 2 Fokkers and countless other projects running already.

Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC
Whatever the choice, I would like to see it kick-off soon and run the year. I am anxious to get some kits built.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whatever the choice, I would like to see it kick-off soon and run the year. I am anxious to get some kits built.

I agree with Carl: Whatever WWI GB is decided on, run it on a Calendar year starting 1 Jan 2011.

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 05:44 PM UTC
HHhhhmmm. only 11 responses and 307 reads. Not a great start. But several sound commited.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HHhhhmmm. only 11 responses and 307 reads. Not a great start. But several sound commited.

Hi Stephen: I wouldn't be too concerned. I would hazard that many who would respond are waiting to see what "Santa" got them and to see the what the GB is going to be; i.e., a WNW, 1/32, or a more encompassing build. That is up to you of course. I know you can count me in for however it shakes out.

Best in the new year

Mark
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
Well, my W.29 got delayed till Jan. I'd be interest in a campaign but I will be starting as soon as it gets to me here. As far a captured captured campaign I would hope it would opened up to all periods not just early aviation. It would give me a reason to build the MIG-19 i've had for a few years. So, if it starts early enough i'll be in with the W.29; otherwise, I might have sit out pending start and subject of the build.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:54 AM UTC

My Ninak is here. I'll give it a go.

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC
Well whatever the final decision is on what the GB is I'll be taking part. Just don't keep us in suspense too long. We get enough of that from WNW

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 06:03 PM UTC
I will have my Pfalz by the end of Jan and would be ready to go . if it swings down the Roden path I'm covered there as well and could either do the DH-2 or a Ablatros D.III .

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:18 PM UTC
Im still in – not sure with which one as yet though – I will get the Hansa and probably the RE.8 when WNW are back from their holidays.

Mikael
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:35 AM UTC
I wouldn't worry about the lack of response. Many of the regulars have family responibilities and work overload this time of the year. It always gets slow around here in December. I think what Mark said is also correct. I am waiting to see what Santa is going to deliver from NZ myself.

Stephen, your GBs are always well among the best in subject matter and theme. If you plan it, they will come. I have a wide selection of kits to choose from. If I don't have something appropriate for the build, I will just buy something.

I have a wonderful SWMBO.
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
I don't want to throw a monkey ionto the wrench but as you do seem to be looking for ideas...

Since I don't build 1/32 I have no interest in a WNW build, and captured aircraft doesn't do much for me either. Have their been any group builds to celebrate the period covered after WW1? This section does extend to 1934 and there was quite a bit going on aviation wise 1919-1934, air racing, the development of real passenger air travel, air racing, record breaking flights etc etc.

With 2011 being the centennial of naval aviation perhaps a nautical theme would be appropriate (The US navy seems to be dominating this but no reason it couldn't include all naval aviation within the period covered here).

Just throwing out some ideas, I'll go crawl back under my rock now.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 05:35 AM UTC
Assuming I can get some direction/help on solving the photo thing I'm in as well; looking forward to the details and also viewing the results which are truly inspirational.

Just a random thought.. . .a specific unit theme might work, ie. JG I or II would cover most of the major German types and the model manufacturers. Also, doesn't seem to be a great deal of "action" on French or American subjects.

Cheers,
Lance
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a random thought..............a specific unit theme might work, ie. JG I or II would cover most of the major German types and the model manufacturers. Cheers,
Lance

Jasta 5!

And Terri could still do her Pfalz. But I would not be able to do my Gotha. Oops, did I say Gotha?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:15 AM UTC
Stephen, it might be interesting if the modeler had to do a build review to qualify for completion. I know it sounds like work, but it would add some interest to the build followers and give us all a chance to practice our writing and review skills. It might even take some of the pressure off you, and open it up to all scales and manufacturers.

(Mr Conklin, a sixth grade teacher to his most troublsome student:
"Carl, do you have your book report?"

"No, I spilled some enamel paint on it."
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC

I think both of Carls ideas have merits – Jasta 5 could work well in any scale, and would include both Roden, Eduard and WNW kits.

If we go for this kind of an Idea – perhaps we should have the counterpart from the Cocade point of view as well? Like one of the RNAS units (one that flew many types), or perhaps the Lafayettes? Just a thought...

And doing a build review is also an excellent idea – I'm up for that.

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP