_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Knights of the Sky GB 2011
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 07:25 AM UTC
Mark that is an excellent idea, mine was Airfix of course.

I think it would bring us all down to ground and realise just how good things are for us now with the array and quality of Manufacturers out there in all scales. Even if the dread of handling 1/72nd scale again fills me with dread I'll be in

Keith
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 07:29 AM UTC
But my first WW1 kit was the WNW Junkers just a few years ago...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
And now we have come to the end! As of this date there are 34 completed builds. Warren Inman has thrown himself into the GB heart and mind with 14 completed builds.

1. Robby Goldberg (Buckeye198) with a 1:48 Roden Fokker D.VII (Alb.) here. COMPLETE
2. Carl Althaus (CaptainA) with 3 kits in one thread.
a WNW 1:32 Albatros D.V
b.WNW 1:32 Albatros D.V
c. Roden 1:32 Alb. D.III here. COMPLETE
3. Andrew Beard (CMOT70) with a WNW 1:32 Gotha here. COMPLETE
4. Edoardo (edoardo) with an Eduard 1:48 Albatros D.V here. COMPLETE
5. Stephen T. Lawson (JackFlash) with a WnW 1:32 Junkers J.I here. COMPLETE
6. Keith Graveson (Kornbeef) with
a. Encore 1:32 Alb.D.II here. COMPLETE
b. WNW 1:32 Roland D.VIa here. COMPLETE
c. WNW 1:32 Pfalz D.IIIa here. COMPLETE
7. Lance Carroll (lcarroll) with
a. Roden 1:32 Albatros D.III here. COMPLETE
b. WNW 1:32 Sop. Pup RNAS here. COMPLETE
8. Mark Krumery (Mgunns) with a
a. WNW 1:32 DH 9a here. COMPLETE.
b. WNW 1:32 Albatros D.V here. COMPLETED after deadline.
9. Mikael Terfors (OEFFAG_153) with a WNW 1:32 H-B W.29 here. COMPLETE
10. Matthew Quiroz (Red4) with a Eduard 1:48 MS type L here. COMPLETE.
11. Terri Werner (thegirl) with a Fly 1:48 M.5 here. COMPLETE
12. Dennis OConnor (dmopath) with a WNW 1:32 Junkers J.I here. COMPLETE
13. Michal Sindera (Mencenas) with an Eduard 1:48 Sopwith F.I here. COMPLETE
14. (wolfpack6) with
a. Revell 1:27 Fok. F.I here. COMPLETE
b. Revell 1:28 Spad XIII here.
15. Marc Rocca (wing_nut) with
a. WNW 1/32 Albatros D.Va here. COMPLETE
b. WNW 1:32 Roland D.VIa here. COMPLETE
16. Warren Inman (WarrenI) with
a. WNW 1:32 Bristol F2.b here. COMPLETE
b. Roden 1:32 Fok. D.VI here. COMPLETE
c. WNW 1:32 Albatros D.V here. COMPLETE
d. WNW 1:32 Sopwith Pup RFC here. COMPLETE
e. WNW 1:32 RNAS Pup here. COMPLETE
f. WNW 1:32 Pfalz D.IIIa here. COMPLETE
g. Roden 1:32 Sopwith Triplane here. COMPLETE
h. Roden 1:32 Spad VII here. COMPLETE
i. WNW 1:32 Alb. D.Va here. COMPLETE
j. WNW 1:32 Roland D.VIa here. COMPLETE
k. WNW 1:32 DH 9a here. COMPLETE
l. Roden 1:32 Alb. D.III (OAW) here. COMPLETE
m. WNW 1:32 RE 8 here. COMPLETE
n. WNW 1:32 W.29 here. COMPLETE

Awards have been issued. 1/1/12.

Campaign Debriefing
Wow! a year and a day. 16 awards, 34 builds for our small genre is impressive folks. Already others are asking when will we do our next GB. I know I have been amazed and have learned a thing or two or three about building. Even during the hard personal times we could come here and find comradarie. The sun is bright and as we come to the end of this campaign I can report it has been more than successful. JackFlash outbound at Angels 3 with a wingover salute to all participants. To the next operation / Mission.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings and a happy new year to all. Yes, where has the year gone. 2012 already. As suggestion, may I suggest a trip down memory lane, a "Your first WWI/early aviation kit." This could include Airfix, Renwal, Revell, Aurora/K&B, ITC, Glencoe, Monogram, you get the idea. Something like that. IT could be a three month BG and coincident with a GB of newer releases.
What do you think?

Mark

Hey Mark, what is the three month "BG" you refer to above?? (Thinking you meant "GB" ?)
I like the idea of a Memory Lane type of GB; are you suggesting putting in builds we still have from long ago or getting our hands on OOP kits and having at them?
I had suggested an OOP type of GB several months back and Terri (The Girl) also sowed a seed on a Movies Theme. For my part, I'd like another GB; sooner we get something up and running the better!
My only problem is at the opposite end of the modelling spectrum from Warren's; my first WWI kit was the Aurora Fokker DVII which I believe was built in 1954 or 55? (Anyone know the release date??) It's long since been destroyed and is buried in some landfill in Eastern Canada. I now have one I built about ten years ago and another un-built in the stash. Not my scale anymore but I'd really enjoy banging it together one more time for a GB.
Great idea, I'll be on board ASAP if we get it going!

Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi Lance:

You are correct. Sometimes my mind is faster than my fingers and I tend to get dislexic, yes it is GB (Group Build) vice BG. I have one with a copyright of 1958, but I think it was originally released eariler than that. A very dramatic box art. I had one I had built about 4 years ago, but it got wrecked when the contractors were here. An opportunity to do another one.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 04:45 PM UTC
Got me all excited so I dug the little beauty out of the storage room. It says 1975 on the Instruction sheet; also comes with a sheet laying out the upper and lower Lozenge (for free-hand painting!) with a carbon paper "trace"suggested. It's moulded in a Royal Blue color.

Here's my 10 year ago effort; although the kit is very basic it builds up well with a lot of TLC and the Eduard PE Set helps enormously.

I also have their Albatros in the stash dated 1976. "Way back when" I built one as Goring's black and white with a scratched head rest....... those were the days!
Hope we get something going; any GB is not only fun but very educational from where I sit.

Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hello Lance; those old Aurora kits do turn out decently. Yes there are some detail problems but remembering the molding is almost 60 years old now, they are a good foundation. Like you, I just enjoy building them as they are easy, the fit is good, and they build up with a little TLC into a decent model. Thanks for sharing your photos of the DVII, very nice.

Best

Mark
 _GOTOTOP