Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
The KotS GB 2012
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 08:21 PM UTC
Stephen – Sounds good to me I'm in, though, with what I'm not quite sure of as yet

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 01:47 AM UTC
I think the rules and policies are broad enough to include the most discriminate modeler and all genre's of Early Aviation to include figures. I don't see anywhere in the rules that including a figure is a pre-requisite or requirement to enter the GB. I think a pilot figure in the garb of the period to 1934 would be inclusive as the aviators are what made "early aviation". I know there are some outstanding figure painters on this forum and if figures are part of the GB I am looking forward to learning a few tips on figure painting, as I have a couple I would like to display with my models to give them a sense of scale.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no problem if people want to include figures, go right ahead, fill your boots, but I don't think it should be a requirement to enter a Aeroscale GB.

O.K. I need some clarification (Might just be dementia on my part or perhaps the weather's getting to me; we woke up to -39C this morning!?!)
I read the Rules to state that in progress and unfinished or Hangar Queens MUST have a figure included. For new (not yet started) builds figure(s) are OPTIONAL.
Am I correct?
Other then my confusion on the point above I'm delighted that we are more or less underway; the Rules and Regs are "proposed" presently. I'll be on board as soon as the Registry opens.....not sure of subject just yet.
Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't see anywhere in the rules that including a figure is a pre-requisite or requirement to enter the GB.

I guess I missed that part about must have figures. Ooops!

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 03:28 AM UTC
I think this is the point of figure confusion?

d. New have the option be finished for this GB with scale figure(s) incorporated into the build.
e. In progress builds must be finished for this GB with scale figure(s)incorporated into the build.
f. Unfinished hangar queens must be finished for this GB with scale figure(s)incorporated into the build.

I read it to mean your build can include a figure as part of it at the correct scale. As in the encore figures that come with their 1/32nd offerings.

Not a stand alone figure or a differing scale ie: a 1/72nd DRi combined with a 120MM figure of Richthofen or a bust or such.

Everyone reads/sees differently..

-39.... damn I was moaning cos it was -4 here this morning
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC
We have a cosy + 4, with heavy fog – Oh the joy of winter – at least it keeps you inside building models, and blogging
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think this is the point of figure confusion?

d. New have the option be finished for this GB with scale figure(s) incorporated into the build.
e. In progress builds must be finished for this GB with scale figure(s)incorporated into the build.
f. Unfinished hangar queens must be finished for this GB with scale figure(s)incorporated into the build.

I read it to mean your build can include a figure as part of it at the correct scale. As in the encore figures that come with their 1/32nd offerings.

Not a stand alone figure or a differing scale ie: a 1/72nd DRi combined with a 120MM figure of Richtofen or a bust or such.

Everyone reads/sees differently..

-39.... damn I was moaning cos it was -4 here this morning

So, just so I'm clear, I can start a new build and do NOT have to include a figure if I don't want to or I MAY include one if I wish?
BTW, the weather may be my problem; I note that Mikeal has a temp. 45 degrees warmer then mine, and he's actually further north;is there no justice??!!?
Cheers,
Lance weather!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 07:11 AM UTC
-39F!! We whinge if it gets below 12C!!!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 03:18 PM UTC
Here ..... -40 with the wind chill .
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, the weather may be my problem; I note that Mikeal has a temp. 45 degrees warmer then mine, and he's actually further north;is there no justice??!!?
Cheers,
Lance weather!

No justice at all – and its very curious really – last year at this time we had -20 and loads of snow – this winter its been between +10 and -2, no snow. Not that I'm complaining Your – 39, and Terris -40 sounds absolutely freezing!

Hope you guys get warmer soon!

Mikael
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
The cold has now impacted my modelling; Septic system frozen and I spent the morning I had reserved for my DR.1 completion out in a -35C world carrying around buckets of hot water! "No Country for Old Men"! Professional help is enroute; just had to share my not so very good horrible awful very bad day with someone.
On the brighter side I'm sure we'll have a GB officially opening real soon and that in itself will raise morale here for certain.
Can anyone provide insight into my earlier queries; are the draft rules and regs allowing an option for "no figures" at this point??
Cheers,
Lance and a strong
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC
The rules are showing that a figure would be optional for a new build.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 10:20 AM UTC
Thank you for clearing this up Stephen. I'm all for variety and will probably add some "props" to the next build however figures are an absolutely new medium for me. Encouraging other areas of the Hobby is a good thing however I strongly support the "optional" approach to ensure maximum participation.
I look forward to the official start once the details are confirmed.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 03:16 AM UTC
I feel that figures tend to show proportion and sets one build away from another. In my own builds I like a figure or two added to the display box before I close it up. Whether it is a solitary piece or an interaction with several it tends to do more than just give you a sense of action. A pilot walking to or away from an aircraft gives you the viewer an impression of the coming events.

Now again - this would only be a requirement of you want to enter an aircraft build you have already started.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 06:21 PM UTC
Ok the discussion is slowing down and coming to a close. I will post the GB proposal in the next 24 hours over on the Campaigns title. Same sequence as previously discussed. KotS II GB 2012. We need 10 people to sign up and go live if we are to do this by Feb. 1 2012. Standby for further word.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 12:48 PM UTC
All right its up and running. We need 10 to go live on Feb. 1, 2012. Model On!

Note: All Aeroscale Staffers are excluded from the hobby related awards. Everyone who finishes a build gets one award ribbon. (No matter how many you complete.)

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The cold has now impacted my modelling; Septic system frozen and I spent the morning I had reserved for my DR.1 completion out in a -35C world carrying around buckets of hot water! "No Country for Old Men"! Professional help is enroute; just had to share my not so very good horrible awful very bad day with someone.
On the brighter side I'm sure we'll have a GB officially opening real soon and that in itself will raise morale here for certain.
Can anyone provide insight into my earlier queries; are the draft rules and regs allowing an option for "no figures" at this point??
Cheers,
Lance and a strong

As long as your liquid modelling supplies don't freeze.. My problem is stopping CA glue going thick by having to put it in the fridge. Anyone know how to thin CA glue?
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 01:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Note: All Aeroscale Staffers are excluded from the hobby related awards. Everyone who finishes a build gets one award ribbon. (No matter how many you complete.)

I'm in! Registered moments ago, will post a Build Thread tomorrow or within the week. This is absolutely great!

Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 01:35 PM UTC
I just "enlisted" in the KOTS II. Not sure what I will work on, but will post a blog, more later.

Best

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 08:07 PM UTC
I'm in, what with yet I'm unsure. I've a heap of *hanger queens and a few *stashies to decide on.

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One week to go and only six sign ups?!
I am getting nervous; where are the "stalwarts " of the last KoTS let alone the relative new comers like myself? The response during the debate prior to announcing this Campaign was considerable so I'm a little puzzled by the slow "spin-up".
Or is this last minute approach normal??
Cheers,
Lance
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

The recent review of the Eduard’s Weekend Edition Fokker D.VII was my personal “wild-card” into the world of Early Aviation. Although I reviewed the X-resin’s PWS-A at some point earlier, my interest and knowledge of the Early Aviation Era is trifling. However, learning from the early aviation aficionados here on Aeroscale, I am tempted to expand my knowledge on the subject and sign up for this campaign.

As many of you know, my area of interest is WWII subjects, especially the Luftwaffe fighters. However, from a historical point of view, I am very much interested in all aviation subjects that are somehow related to my country, and especially to my hometown. Roaming through the Early Aviation Forum on Aeroscale, I’ve noticed some very interesting names that rang my bell, but none like the name of Oblt. Miroslav (Fridrih) Navratil. I am sure that many of you are familiar with the biography of this Austro-Hungarian flying ace, but I will repeat some of it here as a small tribute to my compatriot who fought “the other peoples wars”, as the Great War is often referred to in our historiography.

Miroslav Navratil was born in my hometown (Sarajevo) on June 19, 1893. The Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Sarajevo, which was an appalling fact to me, holds no record of his earlier career, although his latter collaborationist biography during the WWII is exhaustive.

Upon successful completion of primary and secondary school in his hometown, Navratil attended Infantry Cadet School in Graz (Libenau). He served with the First Bosnian-Herzegovinian Infantry Regiment on the Serbian front, where he was wounded twice in 1914. His regiment saw action in the battlefields of Italy, Montenegro and Romania. While serving with the regiment, Navratil was promoted to Oberleutnant, and soon after that he was wounded again in December 1916.

Tired and at dismal with the infantry, he joined the K. und K. Luftfahrttruppe (LFT) the following month, and received training as observer at Wiener-Neustadt. In July 1917 he was initially posted to Flik 13 at Galicia, only to be transferred to Flik 11 in October of the same year. After pilot training in November 1917, Navratil scored one victory with Flik 41J before assuming command of Flik 3J on June 9, 1918. With the former unit he scored nine more victories by the end of the Great War, with two additional and unconfirmed victories.

After the WWI ended, Navratil briefly served with the Yugoslav Royal Airforce. He was soon promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel for his exceptional achievements. However, Navratil had to face the accusations of high-ranking Serbian officers for being pro-German in the wake of the WWII, because he insisted on the acquisition of German aircraft for the weakening Yugoslav air-force. The April war finds him in Zagreb, where he worked as a part-time journalist and military analyst.

With the establishment of the Independent State of Croatia (NDH) in April 1941, he is set in charge of the nascent air force, but is soon appointed as a military attaché in Bucharest. He was promoted to the rank of colonel general in August 1943, and acted as Croatian Minister of War from September 2, 1943 to January 29, 1944. After his dissent and quarrels with Ante Pavelić, who was the head of the NDH, he was again sent to Romania as ambassador, and soon retired.

Navratil moves with his family to Vienna in November 1944, where he waits the end of WWII. He was soon captured by the Americans and imprisoned at military camps in Giolling and Gmunden, only to be handed over to the new Yugoslav communist regime in December 1946. He was accused of war crimes and executed on June 7, 1947.

With Navratil’s biography in mind, and with my policy not to comment extensively on historically established facts, I wanted to pay homage to this particular KoTS by building my first WWI subject – Albatros D.III (OEFFAG 235). Some of you may be aware of the fact that one of the marking options in the Eduard’s Profipack edition (kit #8248) enables you to depict the 235.116, which is the aircraft flown by Navratil in the Fall of 1918. It is my intention to build Navratil’s aircraft with his figure next to it; I will also have to find appropriate resin figure, and have it refurbished in order to represent his handsome face and posture.

Since this is going to be my first early aviation subject, I will have to extensively rely on your help and expertise. I am looking forward to this adventure!

All the best!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
Welcome Eseperic: What a tragic ending for a great man to face. I look forward to seeing your work in this Group Build. There is a lot of good people on this forum to offer assistance and encouragement.

Best of luck

Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 07:37 AM UTC
Welcome Entoni
Having viewed some of your work in your Gallery I am sure your build will be spectacular. It's also great to see the solid historical "link" you've established with your subject. A great man and great aircraft; doesn't get much better then that!

Cheers,
Lance
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 07:51 PM UTC
@Mgunss&lccaroll: gents, thank you very much for your support! Navratil was indeed a great man, yet with tragic biography. Whatever was his role in the WWII, it doesn't change the fact that he was born in my hometown, and only few people (even the so-called "military historians") are aware of the fact. If you ask me, it seems to be a greater tragedy!

However, I am looking forward to this build; I also enlisted because I see that you are still missing some people for this campaign. I just wanted to help a bit!

All the best,