Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
The KotS GB 2012
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 08:49 PM UTC
First of all – Welcome Entoni!

I've now pushed the "enlist" button. Still undecided as to what I will build though, I'm kicking a few ideas around in my head – we'll see what plops out in the end.

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 11:15 PM UTC
Well, my friends, I did some research on the Navratil’s aircraft. Apparently, there were two… However, none of this would be possible without the historical research undertaken by Dalibor Feuereisl, whom I wanted to credit by rough translations of the material available on his site,which is dedicated to the history of this particular aircraft. The site is, unfortunately, in Czech, but I managed to roughly translate the points of interest for my fellow modelers.

Albatros D. III (OEF) 253.116, with engine nr. 23266, was manufactured in September 1918 and delivered to Flik 3J, where it became the second personal machine of Oblt. Navratil. The aircraft was decorated with the same personal signature as the previous 253.06, i.e. heart stabbed with an arrow. Oblt. Miroslav Navratil is credited with ten aerial victories, eight of which he made with the previous aircraft. Identical “personal” signature, however, makes it very difficult to distinguish between the two aircraft on the existing photographs from the period. Virtually identical serial numbers on the machines, which are partially covered by the signature, can be distinguished only by comparing the somewhat differing trailing edges of the both arrow endings, or by identifying the Mausers mounted on the upper wing of 253.06.

Of particular interest is probably one of the last photos of 253.06 at the Flik 3J Airport in Gardolo from August 1918 (above). The aircraft on the photo, from left to right, are: 153.173, 153.225, 253.06, 153.227, and possibly 153.244. The Navratil’s aircraft – the third from the left – has his distinctive “personal” signature; however, of particular interest is a non-standard cross applied on the rudder. It is the exact machine in which Oblt. Navratil crashed during a training flight on the October 21, 1918 after an unsuccessful emergency landing due to the seat malfunction. The aircraft was completely destroyed, and Navratil was hospitalized with serious injuries. He didn’t return to the battlefield until the end of the war.

When the end of war was declared, Zgsf. Adolph Bláha, one of the Czechs serving with the Flik 3J, was at the airport in Innsbruck, where the unit was transferred early in November 1918. On November 21, 1918, Bláha decided to desert from the unit in Oblt. Navratil’s Albatros D.III (OEF) 253.116. Stfw. Béla Mayer, who deserted with Bláha, flew over in Albatros D. III (OEF) 253.114. Due to navigational error and bad weather, both flyers landed at Schlieren, near Zürich. The aircrafts and the pilots were photographed, and the machines were transferred to the Dübendorf airport on December 28, 1918. Bláha and Mayer were handed over to the military police in Buchs, with Bláha being released in March 1919.

The newly established Czechoslovak government has undertaken diplomatic activities aimed at releasing the pilots and the acquisition of their aircrafts. The key to negotiation was payment of a storage fee of 4.200 Swiss Francs for the machines, which was demanded by the Swiss. Bláha was sent from Prague to Zürich on October 3, 1919 with a lump sum of 1000 Francs to pay the expenses associated with the machines. Upon his arrival at Zürich, Bláha was photographed sitting on the port side of the aircraft wearing his new uniform; the aircraft was still carrying the Navratil’s personal marking with the Czechoslovakian roundels already applied on the lower wing, and the K. und K. markings were repainted. Worth noticing is the port wheel, which obviously came from an Aviatik Berg DI, series 238.

At noon of October 29, 1919 – and after a short demonstration of his acrobatic skills over Zürich, perhaps to honor the first anniversary of the Republic – Bláha took course to Czechoslovakia, and after the four-hour flight landed at his residence in Plzeň. He then flew the machine to the Prague Air Corps on November 1, 1919. The machine drew lot of attention, and many of the pilots desired to have it as their personal aircraft. However, Bláha persuaded them not to fly the aircraft without his personal approval. But only two days later, on the morning of the 3rd of November 1918, Bláha crashed and destroyed the aircraft during landing on the snow covered airfield. The Bláha escaped with only minor injuries. The aircraft was officially written-off on the 3rd of January 1920, with the engine (nr. 11538/23266) being modified and subsequently installed in a Fokker D. VII.

The second aircraft (253.114) remained in Zürich as compensation for the storage costs, and was put in the Swiss service only at the beginning of 1921 (Nr. 611). Although fully operational and in good state, it was finally written-off in 1923.

Some of you may be interested in the equipment installed on the 253.116. Well, according to the protocol made on the 29th of October 1919, which records the state of the airframe immediately before the Bláha’s flight to Plzeň, Albatros D.III (OEF) 253.116 had the Austro-Daimler engine (nr. 11538), Heidluck propeller (nr. 13.153.6428), Morel anemometer (nr. 64612), Petravic tachometer (nr. 3392), altimeter (nr. 18434), Bosch magneto (nr. 75640), Thöne u. Fiala horizontal and Wien vertical inclinometer (nr. 4847) [K. und K. aircraft had one speedometer and two inclinometers installed], Daimler oil-pressure gauge 0-3 Atm, petrol gauge 0-5m (Manometerfabrik Berlin SW 68), Socius mercury thermometer (50-120), and the two machine-gun barrels.

Seems like a good historical background for my intended build, wouldn’t you agree?

All the best!
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 03:52 AM UTC
Entoni,
First of all, Thank you for signing up. I am surprised that the response to this proposed Campaign is, at this point, so small but your support has helped for sure. I note that with Mikael's sign up we only need one more Enlistment to meet the minimum number to proceed so hopefully others will join.
Your historical info is fascinating and very detailed. It will greatly enhance your project and new info and background is always most welcome in a community of enthusiasts such as ours. Again, I'll be following your build closely and with great interest.

Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 03:08 PM UTC
Excellent info on this machine and her sisters. I took the liberty of reposting this in the kit review thread on the Eduard kit #8242 issue here.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent info on this machine and her sisters. I took the liberty of reposting this in the kit review thread on the Eduard kit #8242 issue here.

Stephen, I am very thankful for this. I am happy if I could help others with the info; nevertheless, the credit goes to the original author. I am just a tool... I hope we get enough people to start the campaign! All the best!

Entoni
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 01:56 AM UTC
As much as I would like to sign up for this one , I won't .Sorry guy's , but I don't have the time or energy for campaigns or GB any more at this time . Not online much anymore either so this won't be fair towards you gents .

I do hope that you will get that 10th person to get this one off the ground and going . Will also drop in from time to time to have a peek at your builds with the odd thumbs up .
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hello Terri:

I Appreciate you stopping by: your builds and enthusiasm for the hobby will be missed. Take care, recharge your batteries and enjoy life.

Best wishes

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Terri:

I Appreciate you stopping by: your builds and enthusiasm for the hobby will be missed. Take care, recharge your batteries and enjoy life.

Best wishes

Mark

Could'nt have said it better myself – Take Care Terri, and hope to see you back soon!

Mikael
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:50 AM UTC
Very sorry to hear that Terri is not joining in, her work inspires.

I would have liked to try and finish my D.III(OAW) from the last Kots, but was shutdown by the rule that your project cannot have been in another campaign. So it will have to remain in the box until life and times improve.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As much as I would like to sign up for this one , I won't .Sorry guy's , but I don't have the time or energy for campaigns or GB any more at this time . Not online much anymore either so this won't be fair towards you gents .

I do hope that you will get that 10th person to get this one off the ground and going . Will also drop in from time to time to have a peek at your builds with the odd thumbs up .

Terri,
You WILL be missed. You bring a lot of energy, experience, talent, and great advice to our table. Hope all is well, and as already said, take the time you need to re-charge. In the interim, we'll keep your chair in the Mess ready for your return.

Cheers,
Lance
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:39 PM UTC
First off , thanks for the support and friendly comments . Means alot too me at this moment .

I'm doing well, so no worries .

Better keep that chair warm . . .need some place to go and have a glass or two of wine . . .okay the bottle, but that you didn't hear from me
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 06:15 AM UTC
I'm going to enlist, with either a Ford Flivver from 1926 or a WNW Sopwith Pup RNAS.

I know I've had a bad showing of late, but I'm hoping the coming year will be better. My intentions are to give it an honest try.

I'm leaning toward the Williams Brothers Flivver.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 06:15 AM UTC
Just thought I'd post a reminder that the deadline for KoTS 11 registration is fast approaching (end Jan. 2012)and we are still one enlistee short of the minimum required to run the Campaign. If there is anyone out there considering signing up who may have missed the deadline now is the time to enlist. To quote a modified recruiting slogan from the past "Your Community (sic) needs you"! If we could cobble together a poster we could have Jack Flash wearing a star spangled top hat and pointing the finger at the viewer!
I would be disappointed if we had to cancel it; selfish I know however I can't imagine a better way to keep our special group motivated and "happy in their work"!
Cheers All,
Lance
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 08:32 AM UTC
I'll enlist. I have three or four aircraft in the stash that would fit. I'll decide when I have finished my Polikarpov I-15. Should be soon.
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC
OK Mark (Krumrey) -

I'm in. I have plenty of 'ducks on the pond' to pick from -- all in coveted 1/72 scale.

~ Johannes
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK Mark (Krumrey) -

I'm in. I have plenty of 'ducks on the pond' to pick from -- all in coveted 1/72 scale.

~ Johannes

Let the duck hunt begin!!

MMM
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm going to enlist, with either a Ford Flivver from 1926 or a WNW Sopwith Pup RNAS.

I know I've had a bad showing of late, but I'm hoping the coming year will be better. My intentions are to give it an honest try.

Guy,
Must be something in the Alberta air; you're enlisting as I'm appealling for participants! Welcome back, hope the bumps in the road of life have smoothed out somewhat, looking forward to another Campaign with you.

Cheers,
Lance
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 10:22 AM UTC
Johannes, Andrew,
Welcome aboard, we have met the minimums with your enlistments. I know you'll enjoy it and hopefully, as I did last time,, learn a lot.

Cheers,
Lance
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Guy:

Good to see you back, hope that things are progressing for you and hope to see you make progress on whatever is you decide to build.

Best

Mark
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 10:51 AM UTC
Just dug out a Revell Wright Flyer, might do that, and it includes figures and launch rail, don't know where I'll keep it when it's complete
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 02:05 PM UTC
Thankyou, Lance and Mark. I'm glad to be coming back, and itching at the bit to finish something finally. Hope I don't let you good folks down.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thankyou, Lance and Mark. I'm glad to be coming back, and itching at the bit to finish something finally. Hope I don't let you good folks down.

Don't think there's much of a risk of a "let down" here, Guy. Just enjoy as I intend to, and I hope you learn as much as I hope to from this one as well!

Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 05:46 PM UTC
Lance has it right. We are glad just to have you with us. Kits happen. Model On! Was thinking about a modified ribbon.

eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 07:42 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

I am very happy that you were able to get more enlistees for this campaign. I can see some comradeships already developed; it shouldn't be a problem for me to get a feel for it. I am very happy if I was able to stir some of it... But as I pointed out earlier, now I need you and your expertise to have this model finished!

All the best, and looking forward to spend some time with you!

Entoni
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lance has it right. We are glad just to have you with us. Kits happen. Model On! Was thinking about a modified ribbon.

I like it; keeps the "Knightly" theme and is a natural progression from the original.

Cheers,
Lance