Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2012 Albatros D.III (OEF) - eseperic
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is absolutely gorgeous work on the instruments! Very well done!
RAGIII

Thank you, RAGIII! To be honest, I am not very satisfied! The macro zoom also reveals some minor mistakes, but these are hardly noticed to naked eye. Nevertheless, the procedure is not that simple, because each instrument is assembled from 4-6 parts: first I punch out the aluminium can base (slightly wider than the dial face), then I punch out the round styrene base to suport the dial face. The instrument edges are made from thick self-adhesive lead tape (which holds a number of application possibilities). When everything sits in its place, I add a drop or two of Future (to seal everything, plus to simulate the glass cover)

As those more informed will notice, I managed to lose the compass PE face, so I had to improvise. Well, it can hardly be noticed without the zoom.

All the best,
Entoni
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 08:03 PM UTC
Very nice Entoni – the PE looks good and very neat!

As far as shoulder straps go, I seem to recall that they were not fitted at the factory as standard – but I think they were commonly retro fitted at unit level – or so I think (its been a while since I studied the OEFFAG albies in detail).

Best Regards

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 09:46 PM UTC
Lovely work, quite outstanding Entoni.

I had to remind myself this is 1/48th not 1/32nd

Keith
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

I am at slower pace, since we are expecting our second child very soon. I started to work on the Austro-Daimler, which is quite nice in the kit. However, I decided to add more details and improve already nice engine.

I made valve springs (24 in total) from copper wire, which was wrapped around the stretched sprue. The heads are made from punched styrene circles (0.29) The achieved level of detail is quite nice, and I will proceed with the engine "tuning". I am not sure how often I will get time for modelling, but I am looking forward to the continuation of the project.

Some more photos:

All the best,

Entoni

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 11:03 AM UTC
All I have at this moment is a big thumbs up !

Terri
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 03:39 AM UTC
Entoni,
As Keith stated earlier it's hard to believe this is 1/48th, the crispness and level of detail is most impressive. Your project is coming along beautifully; I'll be watching carefully and learning as you progress.
Cheers,
Lance
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hi,

Thank you four your nice comments and observation! I am sure I will ruin it at some point But as I said earlier, I would like to have some more free time at my disposal. If you find this to be small, check it out here.

Thanks for watching,
Entoni
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 05:28 AM UTC
Truly inspirational work. There is everything to like about your effort.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 05:58 AM UTC
Great work on the engine. As has been mentioned, hard to believe it is 1/48. This will truly be a show stopper. Good luck on the birth of your second child.

Best

Mark
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 06:22 AM UTC
Incredible work!!! Love the Wood finish. I have this kit. Your pics inspire me to start this one!!!

eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hi,

Thank you all for your nice and encouraging comments! This will be a brief update, because I had only 20 mins of modeling time for today. Within this time-limit, I set out to make the magnetos and the spark plugs. The former are made from the Griffon model hollow brass pipe (0.4 mm), which was cut in small pieces of same length. The holes were drilled with 0.5 drill, and the inserts secured in place with the Filla Glu (medium viscosity CA glue).

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to write, so here are the photos:

The ignition line diagram would be much appreciated, since I have no reference in order to connect the lines to the spark plugs in correct order Should have thought about that in advance!

Thanks for watching,
Entoni
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 08:13 PM UTC
Very nice detailing of the engine Entoni. Looking forward to more!

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hi all,

I didn't have much time for modeling these days, but this is what I expected. However, I am at slower pace and waiting for the second child, but I do manage to do something from time to time. I was dry fitting the engine after I managed to add the upper part of the formers/bulkheads. I decided not to go the whole mile, but make only what is going to be visible when the engine is mounted.

The tips of the formers will need some trimming, but I will do that at some point latter. I also managed to work on the firewall (?) and add some structural details. So far, so good... I wish to have some more free time, but this will come (I hope)

So long, friends!

And thanks for watching,
Entoni
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 01:51 AM UTC
Details are coming along very nicely indeed !
Louis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 472 posts
AeroScale: 471 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hello Entoni,

I love your engine!!

...and I'm waiting next pictures!!

Very beautiful work (and fw190).

"The heads are made from punched styrene circles (0.29)"

You used Waldron's tool?
I want to buy a "punch and die" a long time but which one?

Best regards.

Louis
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 09:12 AM UTC
@Louis: Hi, I am glad you like the work. I have both Waldron sets and I use them extensively. They were quite expensive, but I find them indispensable for detailing. Both sets are very good, but I find the sub-miniature set more suitable for smaller scales (and I use it more frequently). If you can afford it, I would advise you to get both of them.

All the best,
Entoni
Louis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 10:55 AM UTC
Thank you Entoni.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

Last night my wife and I have become parents for the second time!! We got (still unnamed!) beautiful baby girl, and my wife is hospitalized due to cesarean. The boys are staying alone at home tonight, so we managed to build this fuel tank for the Albie. This was our way to manage the accumulated stress... Tomorrow there will be a party at our home, so everyone is invited!

All the best,
Entoni
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 09:09 AM UTC
Entoni,
Congratulations to you both on the birth of your Daughter! My Daughter has recently become engaged to be married so it's a good year all round for both of our households. I suspect your modelling time may become somewhat challenged with a new member in the family but I'm sure you'll manage both very nicely.
I like the fuel tank too, nice work and this should be a real masterpiece. Wish I could make your party!
Cheers,
Lance
Louis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 11:54 AM UTC
Congratulations!!

Welcome to the baby!

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 08:05 PM UTC
Entoni.

Many congratulations on your new addition to the family and I hope both baby and mum are doing well.

Oh and beautiful work especially considering what little time you have, I still have to remind myself this is 1:48th and not 1:32nd when admiring your mods.

Best wishes to all you family.
Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 08:21 PM UTC
Congratulations on your baby girl Entoni – hope everybody is doing well!

Very nice work on the tank  –surprised you have the time to build anything

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 04:28 AM UTC
Let me echo the others on congratulating you on your baby girl, and.....great work on the fuel tank.

Best

Mark
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

I am enjoying being father for the second time, and - since many of you know what I am talking about - there was not enough modeling time for me. Which I don't regret...

First of all, I just wanted to post some news, because I did manage to do something. Nico, who is a newly made friend from another Kitmaker site is sculpting some figures for this build, and he agreed that I may post some of his work in this thread as well. He is doing this for another campaign, but we managed to find the joint interest So, here is the progress on Navratil:

As I already mentioned, my build is progressing very slowly... I managed to finish the fuel tank (which will be hardly visible, but one of the fuselage access panels will be in open position - and at least something will be visible). I also did some piping, and other details. However, I exaggerated the weathering with the MiG's engine grime, which is too glossy for my taste, but I assume there was lot of spattered oil and grease from the Austro-Daimler engine, so in the end it might turn just right. I will tone it down with chalk pastels latter. I don't have much time to write, 'cause the dippers are calling

Now it's time to turn to the engine... (at some point!)

All the best,
Entoni
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC
lovely.

Entoni, try Citadel (warhammer) Devlan Mud for engine grime, its a thin wash that leaves an oily looking sheen when dried, I've used it extensively on my builds since I pinched (stole) it off my teenage son. I use it everywhere, see my Rumpler build for a looksie.

Gorgeous work though I must say

Keith