Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2012 Albatros D.III (OEF) - eseperic
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 01:06 PM UTC
Yes, Sir...!!!

Congrats an BTW for you and your family...!

And Congrats for your building, I always likes to folow your tasks...!

Thanks
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

...and thanks for the nice words of support and encouragement! Between two sh... dippers, I managed to tone down the effect from the last night of disorder and confusion... It has been awhile since the last time I heard baby crying, so it really affected my sanity (therefore the mistake with the wash). Instead of washing it off, I decided to work it out with chalk pastels, and it does look quite nice in the end (it is far better in reality than on the photos, I must admit). It the next few days (hopefully) I will be ready to close the fuselage and add all interior details (didn't post much of that either, but it will come soon)... I can hardly wait

All the best,
Entoni

PS. First I must do some editing for the site, and then I will return to the build (if there will be some spare time in days to come)

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hello Entoni:

I think it is coming along superbly. I have to remind myself this is 1/48. Your attention to the smallest detail is truly outstanding and will net you an outstanding build; dirty diapers notwithstanding.
Best

Mark
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

I very much appreciate your words of support! However, I would really like to finish this model, and (hopefully) make a feature out of it for the site. In the end, I would like it to be worthy of the Aeroscale front page. At the moment, however, my wishes are getting simpler and simpler. The deadline is approaching, and I would really like to get it finished before that. The downsides of the project are in the fact that it is my first EA subject, and I am still learning all of the techniques developed by you guys, and the dippers are contributing for the continuous lack of time. Nevertheless, I enjoy the company and the comradeship here on EA forum.

All the best,
Entoni
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hi,

The Austro-Daimler takes shape nicely. The kit parts are really nice and color picks every detail. I was a bit afraid to get the right effect with the engine, and the photos cannot reveal the reality entirely... and it's more than I expected!

The Eduard painting instruction says aluminum, but I decided to try something different. The engines were worn, and there was a lot of discoloring plus oil, dirt, and grime. I didn't approach the last part yet, but first coloring was achieved with the JPS Color "Gelb-Chromatiert", which is superb for airbrush application. It dries to a greenish-yellowish chrome tone, and I needed to tone it down with the MiG's Dark Steel and Track Rust pigments, plus chalk pastels, as I am never afraid to experiment.

There are still many details to be added to the engine, but it already looks quite acceptable to me. The tiniest plastic details and the finest PE details were added with the Filla-Glu Black CA Glue, which is rubber toughened. I just couldn't imagine my builds without it. The engine was masked with jammy-dog 1.2 mm masking tape, and airbrushed with Harder&Steenbeck Infinity.

I am sorry because the photos are not that good (I didn't have enough time to adjust it properly).

All the best,
Entoni
Flyjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 04:10 AM UTC
ETONI,

First off I send well wishes on the arrival of your Baby daughter, no doubt a joyous addition to your family!

Secondly I have been watching this thread and your progress on this model. and have enjoyed what detail you are putting into it.
I have the Eduard Albatros D.III (kit # 8097) 1/48 scale and have not started it yet.. so i am watching your progress and getting a feel for what i need to do.
Bear in mind I have just gotten back into Model building after 20 years away, so i am taking my time and "relearning" various aspects..YOur feature here is of great assistance and encouragement!!

Thank you for posting the progress.. I appreciated it very much...

DEAN ~~~
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hi Dean,

First of all, thank you for your nice words... I just wanted to reassure you that this is just the right place to "relearn" your skills. I know exactly what you are talking about, since I returned to the hobby only a year or two ago. Please, do not be scared off by what you see around... This should be fun, too. I am sure you have the courage to pursue your desires. I am happy if my work can be of some assistance on the way. As you may have learned so far, this site is an open modeling community and I enjoy every second of it... so, welcome onboard!

All the best,
Entoni
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi,

Last night I worked on the cockpit port side interior with some instruments and piping. It is stil not finished (obviously, the "druck" and "benzin" inscriptions are still missing), and I will add more details afterwards. I wasn't that satisfied with the original part, because the prominent control valves were molded in reliefs. If I invested so much time in the detailing of other parts as well, I had to go an extra mile with all the stuff which will be visible in the cockpit. I believe I managed to convince myself that it was worth the effort... The piping is made from 0.2 mm copper and lead wire. As I promised earlier, I am getting it ready to close the fuselage halves, so more details are on the way...

Thanks for watching, and I hope you like it!

All the best,
Entoni
Flyjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 03:17 AM UTC
ENTONI,

Thanks for the close up photos of the control valves..Your detailed work is inspiring indeed.

I spent about 1 hour trying to affix the 4 I had to attach on my Kit last night.. Oh Boy, it has been a long time since I built a model, but I just took my time and finally figured out a proper method to attach all four of them. I finally "drilled" 4 little set holes and the Control handles fit into these nicely. I secured them with Zap-A-Gap brush On (thought I used a Needle to apply the glue to the controls). Before the glue set up I carefully repositioned the Handles to where I wanted them. then just sat the section off to the side. I check it today and all four controls are in the right position and are set fine. I will carefully paint the control panel tonight.. I am leaving in a hour for the weekly 9 mile hike in the local mountains...

Thanks again Entoni for the pictures and encouragement.. i figure this first build will be not great, but it is certainly Fun and I find that old methods & skills are coming back, besides the fact I find i can use my Fly Tying Skills in Model Building and it is useful..

Take care and Thank You,
DEAN ~~~
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 04:03 AM UTC
Dean,
I came back after a lengthy and sporadic absence 2 years ago; as you say take your time and all skills will return I can assure you. Welcome back, hope it's as rewarding for you as I am finding it!
Cheers,
Lance
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
Dean,

As you stated in your signature area: "Buy the ticket, take the ride!" The method that you described is pretty much what I did as well... If I only had any knowledge of fly tying. Believe me, your skills will gradually advance...

All the best,
Entoni
Flyjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dean,
I came back after a lengthy and sporadic absence 2 years ago; as you say take your time and all skills will return I can assure you. Welcome back, hope it's as rewarding for you as I am finding it!
Cheers,
Lance

Thank you Lance for the kind welcome, yes it is proving very rewarding, I am feeling more sure of myself and it shows in how at ease I feel when i decide to set down and work on the Model...Thank You for the positive Support

Quoted Text

Dean,

As you stated in your signature area: "Buy the ticket, take the ride!" The method that you described is pretty much what I did as well... If I only had any knowledge of fly tying. Believe me, your skills will gradually advance...

All the best,
Entoni

Entoni, Yes it turned out to work rather well with the method i choose to attach the Control valves.. the Panel looked nice once I painted everything. I am finally at the point where I am going to be gluing in the seat, controls and such inside the Fuselage. all the fine painting of the various parts and then trimming & fitting them together, before gluing them has resulted in it looking ready to go. I will feel a good sense of accomplishment once I've assembled and glued up this point.. then it's time for the Motor...
Fly Tying ain't too bad, it's part of how I make my living so it's fun and I get paid for it..so that's a nice arrangement.. being a Flyfishing "Bum".. lol!

Take Care my Friend and THank you as always!!
DEAN ~~~~
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 07:42 PM UTC
HI Entoni – what brilliant progress – the size of the matchstick is sentiment to your skills!

Best Regards

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 08:00 PM UTC
@Dean: That's the spirit! Just keep on going!

@Mikael: Having in mind your build, your words really flatter me! However, the looksie is even more improved, and the update is ready for tonight (dippers permitting)... I am very close to closing up the fuselage.

All the best,
Entoni
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi,

I managed to do something last night, and now I am about to post some photos. Nothing is fully secured in its place, because I wanted to dry fit and check if everything is ok prior to gluing. There are still plenty of details missing (obviously there's no rudder control pedals and control stick!), but it is getting together nicely. Above all, I think that the control valves on the port side turned out rather nicely. Maybe the photos don't reveal much, but the overall impression of the cockpit is rather nice. Unfortunatelly, a lot of details will be lost when the fuselage is fully enclosed.

I hope you like it! All the best, and thanks for watching!

Entoni
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 01:38 AM UTC
I do like your work very much, Entoni. It's very clean and evidences your considerable modelling skills.

Personally, I like interior wood to be honey warmer in tone and with a little more contrast in the grain. Your work appears very subtle, so I wonder if it will be noticeable when the fuselage is closed up.

The instruments are excellent and provide an immediate focal point. Well done.

Waiting for more. Guy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 03:35 AM UTC
Most impressive!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi,

@Guy: I am very thankful for your observation and comments! You're completely right about the warmer "honey" tone, which is missing from my finishing touches. I am a bit cautious since this is my first EA subject, and I am completely new to the tips and tricks developed round here. It could have been better in places, but I am pleased with the result. I really want to finish this build and make a feature out of it, but you are right... There are still some refinements to be learned! Therefore your help is much appreciated!

@Stephen: Thank you very much for you kind comment!

All the best,
Entoni
Flyjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 05:40 AM UTC
ENTONI,

I am in 1000000% agreement with the comments of Guy & Stephen, you're doing a Fantastic job on this "Albie" indeed!!

The detail is wonderful indeed!!

Thanks for the Inspiration to achieve something like that...

Wonderful work and THank You!!

DEAN ~~~
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
Dear friends,

I will skip long introductions explaining the reasons that kept me (and still keep me) away from the bench, but I hope it will improve in the future. I had some rotten lemons on the way... I would like to forget that as soon as possible, so let's turn to modelling... (thank's for the words of support that I received from some of you! I am very thankful for that!)

So, I am still running with the project. There were few mistakes on the way, but I managed to close up the cockpit and the fuselage. I must admit that it looks rather busy. I also managed to scratched the front bulkhead, which will receive many more details in near future. I also dry-fitted the engine to check everything before i continue with the build, and it looks promising. I am not sure if I am about to finish it in time, but I will give my best... I also have some stacked "to do" reviews, so I have to use my free time sparingly.

All the best,
Entoni
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 09:09 AM UTC
Entoni,
Absolutely outstanding build my friend.Your attention to details is awesome. Congratulations on one very impressive interior. Looking forward to seeing more in your next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
Entoni,
Welcome back and I hope all continues to improve with time. Nice to see this started again, it's a pleasure to watch this one progress.
Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 07:13 PM UTC
Beautiful update Entoni – well worth waiting for! That forward bulkhead is looking very sharp.

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 08:52 PM UTC
Hi,

I didn’t expect that update would stir so much excitement! Anyway, I finished the engine wiring last night, and will post some images soon. There are few mistakes here and there in this build (and I am aware of it!), but please bear in mind that I don’t have enough time to fully delve into this build. Now I only enjoy the build  (For those who are familiar with my builds from before, it is more than obvious that I gave up precision for the sake of pure enjoyment!).

All the best,
Entoni

PS. thanks for your nice words and comments. It is much appreciated!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hi,

I promised to add some photos of the engine. The wiring is now finished, and I heavy weathered the engine. It is not as severe as the light shows, but it is a bit murky and dirty - I simply like it that way. Apart from my Klimov engine (Yak-1b build), I think this is probably the best engine that I produced so far. The close-ups bring some details to life, and the overall fit is great. I will keep adding details later, and now I will focus on other areas.

All the best,
Entoni