_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2012 Albatros D.III (OEF) - eseperic
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi,

The recent review of the Eduard’s Weekend Edition Fokker D.VII was my personal “wild-card” into the world of Early Aviation. Although I reviewed the X-resin’s PWS-A at some point earlier, my interest and knowledge of the Early Aviation Era is trifling. However, learning from the early aviation aficionados here on Aeroscale, I was tempted to expand my knowledge on the subject and sign up for this campaign.

My area of interest is WWII subjects, especially the Luftwaffe fighters. But from a historical point of view, I am very much interested in all aviation subjects that are somehow related to my country, and especially to my hometown – Sarajevo. Roaming through the Early Aviation Forum on Aeroscale, I’ve noticed some very interesting names that rang my bell, but none like the name of Oblt. Miroslav (Fridrih) Navratil. Here is a short biographical info about this Austro-Hungarian flying ace. It is my small tribute to my compatriot who fought “the other peoples wars”, as the Great War is often referred to in our historiography.

The pilot. Miroslav Navratil was born in Sarajevo on June 19, 1893. The Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Sarajevo holds no record of his earlier career, although his latter collaborationist biography during the WWII is very exhaustive.

Upon successful completion of primary and secondary school in his hometown, Navratil attended Infantry Cadet School in Graz (Libenau). He served with the First Bosnian-Herzegovinian Infantry Regiment on the Serbian front, where he was wounded twice in 1914. His regiment saw action in the battlefields of Italy, Montenegro and Romania. While serving with the regiment, Navratil was promoted to Oberleutnant, and soon after that he was wounded again in December 1916.

Tired and at dismal with the infantry, he joined the K. und K. Luftfahrttruppe (LFT) the following month, and received training as observer at Wiener-Neustadt. In July 1917 he was initially posted to Flik 13 at Galicia, only to be transferred to Flik 11 in October of the same year. After pilot training in November 1917, Navratil scored one victory with Flik 41J before assuming command of Flik 3J on June 9, 1918. With the former unit he scored nine more victories by the end of the Great War, with two additional and unconfirmed victories.

After the WWI ended, Navratil briefly served with the Yugoslav Royal Airforce. He was soon promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel for his exceptional achievements. However, Navratil had to face the accusations of high-ranking Serbian officers for being pro-German in the wake of the WWII, because he insisted on the acquisition of German aircraft for the weakening Yugoslav air-force. The April war finds him in Zagreb, where he worked as a part-time journalist and military analyst.

With the establishment of the Independent State of Croatia (NDH) in April 1941, he is set in charge of the nascent air force, but is soon appointed as a military attaché in Bucharest. He was promoted to the rank of colonel general in August 1943, and acted as Croatian Minister of War from September 2, 1943 to January 29, 1944. After his dissent and quarrels with Ante Pavelić, who was the head of the NDH, he was again sent to Romania as ambassador, and soon retired.

Navratil moves with his family to Vienna in November 1944, where he waits the end of WWII. He was soon captured by the Americans and imprisoned at military camps in Giolling and Gmunden, only to be handed over to the new Yugoslav communist regime in December 1946. He was accused of war crimes and executed on June 7, 1947.

With Navratil’s biography in mind, and with my policy not to comment extensively on historically established facts, I wanted to pay homage to this particular KoTS by building my first WWI subject – Albatros D.III (OEFFAG 235). Some of you may be aware of the fact that one of the marking options in the Eduard’s Profipack edition (kit #8248) enables you to depict the 235.116, which was one of the aircrafts flown by Navratil in the Fall of 1918.

The aircraft. I did some historical research on the Navratil’s aircraft. However, none of this would be possible without the previous efforts and research by Dalibor Feuereisl, whom I wanted to credit by rough translations of the material available on his website, which is dedicated to the history of this particular aircraft. The site is, unfortunately, in Czech, but I managed to roughly translate the points of interest for my fellow modelers. I am to be credited for any mistakes in translation.

Albatros D. III (OEF) 253.116, with engine nr. 23266, was manufactured in September 1918 and delivered to Flik 3J, where it became the second personal machine of Oblt. Navratil. The aircraft was decorated with the same personal signature as the previous 253.06, i.e. heart stabbed with an arrow. Oblt. Miroslav Navratil is credited with ten aerial victories, eight of which he made with the previous aircraft. Identical “personal” signature, however, makes it very difficult to distinguish between the two aircraft on the existing photographs from the period. Virtually identical serial numbers on the machines, which are partially covered by the signature, can be distinguished only by comparing the somewhat differing trailing edges of the both arrow endings, or by identifying the Mausers mounted on the upper wing of 253.06.

Of particular interest is probably one of the last photos of 253.06 at the Flik 3J Airport in Gardolo from August 1918 (above). The aircraft on the photo, from left to right, are: 153.173, 153.225, 253.06, 153.227, and possibly 153.244. The Navratil’s aircraft – the third from the left – has his distinctive “personal” signature; however, of particular interest is a non-standard cross applied on the rudder. It is the exact machine in which Oblt. Navratil crashed during a training flight on the October 21, 1918 after an unsuccessful emergency landing due to the seat malfunction. The aircraft was completely destroyed, and Navratil was hospitalized with serious injuries. He didn’t return to the battlefield until the end of the war.

When the end of war was declared, Zgsf. Adolph Bláha, one of the Czechs serving with the Flik 3J, was at the airport in Innsbruck, where the unit was transferred early in November 1918. On November 21, 1918, Bláha decided to desert from the unit in Oblt. Navratil’s Albatros D.III (OEF) 253.116. Stfw. Béla Mayer, who deserted with Bláha, flew over in Albatros D. III (OEF) 253.114. Due to navigational error and bad weather, both flyers landed at Schlieren, near Zürich. The aircrafts and the pilots were photographed, and the machines were transferred to the Dübendorf airport on December 28, 1918. Bláha and Mayer were handed over to the military police in Buchs, with Bláha being released in March 1919.

The newly established Czechoslovak government has undertaken diplomatic activities aimed at releasing the pilots and the acquisition of their aircrafts. The key to negotiation was payment of a storage fee of 4.200 Swiss Francs for the machines, which was demanded by the Swiss. Bláha was sent from Prague to Zürich on October 3, 1919 with a lump sum of 1000 Francs to pay the expenses associated with the machines. Upon his arrival at Zürich, Bláha was photographed sitting on the port side of the aircraft wearing his new uniform; the aircraft was still carrying the Navratil’s personal marking with the Czechoslovakian roundels already applied on the lower wing, and the K. und K. markings were repainted. Worth noticing is the port wheel, which obviously came from an Aviatik Berg DI, series 238.

At noon of October 29, 1919 – and after a short demonstration of his acrobatic skills over Zürich, perhaps to honor the first anniversary of the Republic – Bláha took course to Czechoslovakia, and after the four-hour flight landed at his residence in Plzeň. He then flew the machine to the Prague Air Corps on November 1, 1919. The machine drew lot of attention, and many of the pilots desired to have it as their personal aircraft. However, Bláha persuaded them not to fly the aircraft without his personal approval. But only two days later, on the morning of the 3rd of November 1918, Bláha crashed and destroyed the aircraft during landing on the snow covered airfield. The Bláha escaped with only minor injuries. The aircraft was officially written-off on the 3rd of January 1920, with the engine (nr. 11538/23266) being modified and subsequently installed in a Fokker D. VII.

The second aircraft (253.114) remained in Zürich as compensation for the storage costs, and was put in the Swiss service only at the beginning of 1921 (Nr. 611). Although fully operational and in good state, it was finally written-off in 1923.

Some of you may be interested in the equipment installed on the 253.116. Well, according to the protocol made on the 29th of October 1919, which records the state of the airframe immediately before the Bláha’s flight to Plzeň, Albatros D.III (OEF) 253.116 had the Austro-Daimler engine (nr. 11538), Heidluck propeller (nr. 13.153.6428), Morel anemometer (nr. 64612), Petravic tachometer (nr. 3392), altimeter (nr. 18434), Bosch magneto (nr. 75640), Thöne u. Fiala horizontal and Wien vertical inclinometer (nr. 4847) [K. und K. aircraft had one speedometer and two inclinometers installed], Daimler oil-pressure gauge 0-3 Atm, petrol gauge 0-5m (Manometerfabrik Berlin SW 68), Socius mercury thermometer (50-120), and the two machine-gun barrels.

This was a bit of history required to set a link with my intended build. Nevertheless, I am not able to post more of the build, because my ordered Oeffag didn’t arrive yet. I will have to wait a bit more with posting the images, but the contents are fairly known (so everybody knows what to expect!) But as I already emphasized on earlier occasions, this will be my first Early Aviation subject, and therefore I urge for your support and expertise. I wish to make a slightly different Albie… Seems like a promising start for me!

All the best!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

The Eduard's kit arrived yesterday, but I didn't have time to make photos yet. It will be a bit difficult for me to constantly "switch" between the eras, since I am also building the Fw-190 for the campaign. However, there will be some back and forth posts, but as I promissed earlier, I must rely on your knowledge and help.

So, I would like to be assisted on the engine mounts and the fuselage cross section panels. Would it be possible to get some cross-cut images? I am mainly interested in internal structure of the bulkheads and cross section profiles (please bear with my lack of knowledge and lingo deficiency). I am intending to rebuild the entire internal framework from the cockpit to the spinner. Anyone willing to help?

In the afternoon I will travel to a nearby town to get some of the finest veneer for this build... Will inform you about the outcome!

All the best,
Entoni

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 05:02 AM UTC
Entoni,
I had a similar problem with my Alb. DIII Build in KoTS I last year. I found (through Keith Graveson - "Kornbeef") a weath of information in net articles by Mr. Koloman Meyerhofer, a Austrian gentleman that builds true flying replicas using the original plans from years ago. I seem to recall he was working on a DIII OEF when I last looked at his articles. You should be able to find him on The Aerodrome using their search tool and narrow it down from there. He has lots of photos and even answers questions for folks like us. A word of caution; his stuff is fascinating and you will be lost in it for days if not careful!!
Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,
Lance
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hi Lance,

I very much appreciate your help. I already managed to find some useful materials. I am familiar with the work of Koloman. Truly impressive, I would say... But having seen many of the Wojtek Fajga's stuff and survived, I will be able to handle it

First photos soon...

All the best!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 08:48 AM UTC
Looking forward to your build Entoni,

A subject I'd love to do but I seldom go as small as 1/48th (fat finger syndrome )

Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hello Entoni

Like keith I'm looking forward to your build – as you can tell from my call sign, I have a deep affection with the Austrian Albatroses.

Best Regards

Mikael aka Oeffag_153
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 10:38 AM UTC
@Mikael: I am very grateful for your comments. I've seen some of your builds here on Aeroscale; actually I am using some of them as a guidance.

As we are covered with more that one meter of snow (more than three feet), my Albatros arrived safely. Due to bad weather I won't be able to pick my veneer batch, and will have to rely on my stock of styrene.

The wurger is temporarily set off the bench, and the room is made for an older brother. I am off to a good start with bulkhead cutouts glued to a piece of styrene with my trusty Gators Grip. Will see what comes out of it!

All the best!
Entoni
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hi,

I woke up this morning, and instead of some bench time, it is time to find the snow shovel and get outside. This is the scenery from my window:

It is -15 Celsius outside (I am sure that some countries in the SE Europe are experiencing even harder times). The snow is now 1,2 meters high (and I forgot where I parked my car the day before)

It seems that we will be stuck under the snow for some time now. It's my sons birthday today, and I think he is one of the happiest people on the face of the earth to see the snow reaching way above his head! What a wonderful sight! Since I have to shovel, not much time will be left for modelling! My sympathies to others struck by severe weather!

I wish you all the best!
Entoni
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 03:00 AM UTC
Entoni,
You folks must be getting our weather; we had a 10 day deep freeze earlier however this is presently the mildest Winter I have seen here. Hope you have a good stock of the essentials in your cupboard and the snow stops soon; been there and done that too many times to recount.
Stay warm!
Cheers,
Lance
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 05:17 AM UTC
Edtoni,
My friend I'm so looking forward to this project. The veneer frames is a very interesting idea.Will you be covering your styrene frames with veneer or painting them? Either way they will certainly add a lot to the basic kit.Stay warm my friend,that's some snowfall you've got there.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

As you know, I've been away for awhile due to bad weather in my country. The state of emergency still holds, although the situation is slightly improving. I am very tired from shoveling, but everything else is pretty fine. No big shortage of food, but I am a bit afraid for the electricity. The distribution is dwindling throughout the country and we do have some reductions in the evening. The new snow is approaching for the weekend, but I will post any updates whenever available.

This also means that I don't have much time for modeling, but I managed to do something. So here are the photos of the bulkheads and the instrumental panel. I didn't like the one provided with the kit, so I partially scratched it.

Thank you for your words of encouragement and support!!

All the best,
Entoni
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 02:20 PM UTC
Hello Entoni:

The instrument panel really looks nice. This is going to be a great build if that is a precursor of things to come. Very nice.

You are getting the winter we had last year. It was brutal, 8th snowiest winter in Wisconsin last year, this year hardly any snow.

Good luck and hang in there.

Best wishes

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 09:17 PM UTC
Do you have scale templates / guide patterns for the fuselage formers?
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

I have only a few minutes to respond. First of all, I really appreciate your help and support!

@gajouette: I am very sorry because I didn't manage to reply earlier due to severe situation in my country. My intention was to do internal structure in superfine veneer, but the state of emergency in my country prevented me from buying it (the best veneer is produced some 50 km from where I live; believe me, it's impossible to reach!!!). I am trying the Plan B, and will post some photos soon. And no, it's not a paint

@Mgunns: very thankful for your comment! I intend to rebuild the entire front part from the seat to the nose, with complete internal structure.

@JackFlash: Yes, I managed to find some plans for personal use only, and the "formers" were cut out accordingly from a 0,40mm styrene. It really gave me a hard time, but it looks nice in the end (i believe). However, I dislike the "molded in" look of the interior, so I will (probably) sand everything off and start from scratch.

One more question: Where the engine covers ever open in the field? I would like to expose the engine as much as possible. Any help on this?

All the best,
Entoni
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 06:17 AM UTC
Yet another day with my shovel... We received additional 40cm of snow last night, and there was no time for modelling. Yet, I modified the seat (maybe it would have been smarter to ask for assistance, because I highly modified the kit's part. Hope it's correct ) The cushion is genuine leather, and I really like the buttons that I added with a Swiss broacher).

Looking forward to some modeling soon. All the best!

Entoni
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 02:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yet another day with my shovel... We received additional 40cm of snow last night, and there was no time for modelling. Yet, I modified the seat (maybe it would have been smarter to ask for assistance, because I highly modified the kit's part. Hope it's correct ) The cushion is genuine leather, and I really like the buttons that I added with a Swiss broacher).

Looking forward to some modeling soon. All the best!

Entoni

Entoni,
You folks are really taking a beating from the Winter. I saw some photos yesterday of the snow accumulations (in this case in Russia) and it is unbelievable! The photo out your window earlier says it all. I'm no stranger to severe winter weather and lots of snow but your situation is severe to say the least, I hope it gets better for you and all around you!
Your build, in the meantime, is most impressive; the seat and cushion are "things of beauty" and I'm looking forward to your efforts on the interior. Keep at it and I hope you can put away the snow shovel soon!
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone. . .One more question: Where the engine covers ever open in the field? I would like to expose the engine as much as possible. Any help on this?

All the best,
Entoni

The forward cowlings were removed for servicing. The Cowling "hoods" covering the cylinder heads were used in the winter months.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
I very much appreciate your help and words of support! After three days of shoveling and with the aid of heavy mechanization, my street is open for traffic again. The sheer amount of snow is hard to believe! So here is the photo:

Our biggest concern for the moment is snow on the roofs. We where cleaning the snow all the morning (and didn't get too far with it). The news of the collapsing roofs are spreading across the city, especially after the roof of the Olympic hall collapsed this morning. The roofs are in very poor condition (with most of them not repaired since the last war). Modeling is simply not one of my priorities at the moment, but I will get back again soon (hopefully)!!

All the best,
Entoni
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
Entoni,
Be very careful with the roof work. I've done that several times in the past as well. Keep in mind that the snow "line" usually projects further over the edge then the roof - can make for a quick trip to the ground!
The photo looks encouraging, hope all continues well and you get back to modeling soon.
Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 01:18 AM UTC
Entoni, I'm following your build here with great interest – you're certainly off to a very great start – the instruments and formers look superb.

I also wich you luck in the snow shoveling – like Lance says, take care, it can be dangerous.

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for good and useful advice on shoveling techniques! As the weather is finally improving, now our minds turn to flood prevention. However, only few things can be done at the moment. I was quite busy these days, and this prevented me from modeling, but also from commenting on the work of other people in the campaign. Tomorrow I am flying to Zagreb for few days for a business trip (with airplanes being basically the only travel means unaffected by the snow).

However, I wanted to present you with my first attempt at wood grain effect. I tried to work on my own "technique" by using the Radu's Wood grain stencil, which I recently reviewed.

Basically, I applied the coat of my own buff mixture (Vallejo), and then I came back with a light coat of slightly darker mixture to achieve wood grain pattern. Then I applied a very thinned coat of darker shade to blend everything. The final touches were achieved by the finest artists pastels, which I like very much.

However, I didn't forget about the formers, and other structural details. I just took different assembly pace than usual The only doubt I had is whether the interior was lacquered wood or not? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Please, bear in mind that this is my first attempt at wood grain effect, and I would really like to hear your comments and observations!

All the best,
Entoni
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 10:31 AM UTC
Entoni,
I like the wood grain a lot! The seat "pan" (Lower part) is really nice, looks in scale and very much natural wood grain. The more I see of this wood grain stencil the more impressed I am with it. I'm wondering about how long it would last as it must have to be constantly cleaned?
As for my feedback on your first attempt at wood graining I would rate it excellent!
Cheers,
Lance
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The more I see of this wood grain stencil the more impressed I am with it. I'm wondering about how long it would last as it must have to be constantly cleaned?

Hi Lance,

Thank you very much for your observation. The wood grain stencil is really nice. However, it is a bit tricky to use, especially on concave surfaces. The cleaning is pretty simple and straightforward; do not rub it or brush it, just soak it in thinner and rinse with water. It works fine if you do it immediately after use. I am glad you like it! I was really afraid of the end result, but it turned out well.

All the best,
Entoni
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi,

After a week of snow and a business trip, I am regaining my modeling skills. I had to rebuild the instrument panel, because the old one was not so good, and the colors didn't match with the ones that I achieved with the wood grain stencil. So this was an opportunity to practice a bit more... I decided to use the PE instruments provided in the kit, because they were more true to scale. However, I liked the old ones as well... I also had to rebuild the seat anchors because I stepped on the original parts and broke it The compass is the highlight of this sub-assembly. The only doubt I have are the shoulder straps. Were they present on the machine? I've read that some Oeffag machines didn't have them, correct? As I am regaining my modeling skills after some heavy shoveling, I am sure that more posts will soon follow...

Thanks for watching,
Entoni
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
That is absolutely gorgeous work on the instruments! Very well done!
RAGIII
 _GOTOTOP