_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2012 Boeing 247 - Jessie_C
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 06:16 PM UTC
The Boeing 247 has been called “the first modern airliner”. It was the first aircraft to combine the now standard low-wing, all metal semi-monocoque construction, multi-engines, retractable landing gear, insulated and heated passenger compartment and reasonably high speeds. Boeing nearly got it right, and would have if its original design using Pratt & Whtney Hornets had been adopted. The airlines feared that an 8 ton aircraft with over 1050 total Horsepower was simply too much aircraft for the airports of the day. Boeing and Pratt & Whitney's engineers knew that the future was coming when such an aircraft would be considered small, but the airlines won out, and the eventual design was smaller, and powered by Wasps of only 900 total horsepower.

Boeing's ownership by United Aircraft and Transport Coproration, which locked Boeing into producing 247s for the Company's airline (United Air Transport, which eventually became United Airlines), combined with the smaller, less capable design the airlines insisted on, cost Boeing hundreds of sales when Douglas brought out the DC-2 and DC-3.

The 247 made history in 1934 when a standard airline model aircraft was chosen by Roscoe Turner to be entered in the MacRobertson Air Race. Turner and his co-pilot Clyde Pangborne came in second in the transport class (third overall) behind a DeHavilland Comet and a KLM DC-2. Coming in second to the DC-2 seemed to be the 247's lot in life (the KLM crew really ground in the humiliation by flying a regular passenger schedule, which added 1000 miles to the race distance, and actually turned back at one point to pick up a stranded passenger).

The 247 was nearly right, but it did have some severe design flaws. It could only carry 10 passengers, the same capacity of the much smaller Lockheed Electra, its wing spar was right at knee-cracking height in the cabin, and its size and weight meant that its fuel economy was much worse than its Lockheed rival while the DC-2 could carry 4 more fare paying passengers. In the end, Boeing only produced 75 247s of all models.

CF-JRQ was built in 1933 (Boeing C/N 1699) and converted to 247D configuration in 1934. It flew for United Airlines, The RCAF, Quebec Airways and Canadian Pacific Airlines as well as 8 other owners before being purchased in 1957 by Calgary Standard Oil. It then spent the next 10 years flying personnel and supplies to exploration and drilling sites throughout the Canadian North. Retired in 1967, it was donated to the Canadian National Aviation Museum in Rockliffe Ontario, where it remains on display. I cannot post photos of -JRQ in this thread because I don't have permission, so I will have to link to them instead.

This aircraft represents the maturation of bush flying in Canada, Gone were the days of biplanes able to carry only one passenger and a hundred kilos of freight. The 247 had the capacity to carry the equivalent of ten or more smaller loads, which meant that the aircraft could pay its operating costs and still save money.

The kit is Williams Brothers' classic. It was one of the first of what we today call “limited run” kits, although it has far exceeded what anyone could call a “limited” production run. It is the only 247 in 1/72, and to this day is still a decent kit with everything one could need to produce a good model right out of the box. The kit offers optional cockpit windscreens, optional rubber tires, optional extended or weighted oleo struts, optional landing gear legs and optional cabin fuel tanks to enable the modeller to portray Turner and Pangborne's racer. It was also one of the first airliner kits to offer a full passenger interior.

It is, however, not a “shake the box” kit. Modelling skills are definitely called for. There is a modicum of flash, the instructions are rudimentary and some of the options require the builder to do surgery to the kit. This is par for the course when building a Williams Brothers kit. Veterans of the USENET group rec.models.scale will no doubt recall Dan Winfield's infamous endless rants about the 247's stablemate, the Martin B-10.

Here's a look inside the box. I acquired this kit used in 2002, and it was already old and battered with many parts off the sprue.

The decal sheet was done by the now sadly defunct Whisky Jack decals, who concentrated on Canadian Civil subjects.

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hello Jessie,

A very handsome and aesthetically pleasing subject. Interesting history too – looking forward to your build.

Best Regards

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hi Jessie,

I am very much pleased to see you here! And what a handsome airliner (isn't that your "signature" already?). All the best, and looking forward to your build!

Entoni
nosewrit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 11:28 PM UTC
Very Cool!. I didn't know someone made a model of it. Definitly looking forward to seeing this one!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hello Jessie C:

I will be watching this with interest. I built this about 30 years ago and it really turns into a neat looking airplane. Looking forward to yours.

Best

Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 01:36 AM UTC
Jessie,
Nice to have you on board; great subject and it adds to the apparent surge in "Golden Age" topics. By my last count I believe we now have 3 non-WWI airframes; nice to see the variety.
Another great Canadian subject as well!
Cheers,
Lance
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 12:42 PM UTC
Wow. Can't wait to see this one!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
I've splashed a bit of paint about the insides. I'm going for a pretty industrial look for this one. Oilfield workers are not known for their refined tastes.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oilfield workers are not known for their refined tastes

I disagree:

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 05:14 PM UTC
I disagree with your disagreement. That swill isn't fit to wash out the vats real beer is made in.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 05:49 PM UTC
Oil workers & refined, no pun intended I'm sure?

Got to side with Jessica on the drink though, anyway back to the build.

As Lance said its nice to see some non WWI aircraft being built on the forum. Looking forwards to seeing this built.

Keith
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oil workers & refined, no pun intended I'm sure?

I'm embarrassed to admit that one slipped right past me without me noticing. Stealth Pun indeed.

Warning! Following that link may be hazardous to your spare time.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I disagree with your disagreement. That swill isn't fit to wash out the vats real beer is made in.

I know, however having worked "the patch" over 10 post military service years and having three Sons in the business I feel I must say something! Any brew is better then having none thus it may appear that tastes are rather simple "in the field".It ain't downtown big city locations for those in this business as Guy can attest to as well(no pun intended on the "well" word!) On the other hand I'm with Jess and Keith; my absolute all-time favorite brew comes from Ireland in Black Cans....that's quality!! Little hard to find in Wabasca Desmarais or Conklin Alberta however.
Now, how on earth did we get down this "bunny trail"?!?
Cheers All,
Lance
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 04:48 AM UTC
Jessica,
Wow this promises to be one great thread.I can hardly wait to see the building begin.I've not built the 247 but I did build the C-46 from Williams Brother's,which was far from a shake the box build.Best of luck to you.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 05:13 AM UTC
would like to see the remake of Williams Bros. 1/72 Martin B-10
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
Well that would also fall within our timeline, and I just happen to have one sitting in the Closet of Shame...
mike_espo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC
Was contemplating getting one off ebay.....but I heard they were gonna remake the kit with new decals and different moldings...this was almost two years ago...
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
Go for it Jesse,I am sitting looking at 2 DH88 Comets, I think the ealy 1930s gave birth to some of the best looking aircraft ever built, and the 247 ranks among them, good luck.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hello Jessie C:

Those Whiskey Jack decals are going to really look neat on that a/c. Too bad that they are no longer available. Looking forward to this build.

Best

Mark
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 05:23 PM UTC
Some progress to show. I've got the fuselage, wings and tailplanes subassembled.

A little peek into the cockpit. Since the windows are small and very distorted there's not much point to going AMS inside. Still, I'll have to reposition the Captain's seat so he doesn't get in the FO's way. Ergonomics was becomming important by this time.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the passenger seats. The cabin floor can fit into the fuselage before I glue the wings on.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 06:44 PM UTC
You can see the lines of the B17 in her grandma

She
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 06:43 PM UTC
Now for the interior.
The cockpit canopy took a bit of trimming and finicky fitting to come out even. This model is going to be a filler monster.

The seats are horrible moudings, terribly uneven but I'm not concerned because they'll hardly be visible once everything's closed up.

The passenger floor slots into the wing cutout.

Leaving the seat tops barely visible through the windows.

Now I turn my attention to the wings. The fit around the nacelles is atrocious, with large gaps. Miliput to the rescue. I trowled it on.

Sorry about the bluriness. I was holding the wing in one hand and the camera in the other. Such is not an optimal situation for the poor auto-focus.

Once the putty was on, I wet my fingertip and sculpted it into some semblance of the finished shape. This makes sanding much easier.

Now I let it dry and I'll be able to sand it to its final contours. Then the wing will be ready to glue on.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hello Jessie C:

Now I remember why I only built one of these. Anyway, you are making progress and will have a nice addition to the collection. In the old movie "The Lost Continent" with Ceasar Romero, there is some footage of a 247 taxiing. Very poor editing as they were flying a C-47; but I guess to the editors it had two engines and they had it, so they put it in.
I am looking forward to more and seeing you work this through.

Best
Mark
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 03:28 AM UTC
Jessie,
You certainly have your hands full with this one; should I consider investing in some Milliput shares!?
It's looking like a classic however, keep those updates flowing. Like most less then optimum kits the reward once completed will be well worth the extra effort.
Cheers,
Lance
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 06:32 PM UTC
The first session of filling and sanding is over, and the model wears a coat of primer. Still much more to do.

_GOTOTOP