Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi all

The second instalment of two sets of test sprues and accessories has just landed from Eduard. One sprue still to go, plus Brassin parts, but more than enough to get started on this beauty. Jean-Luc and Steffen will also have the same packages, so this can be a great chance to share our experiences of this kit.

I'll kick off with a look at the parts. Eduard are keen to stress that they were still making final adjustments to the moulds when these test-shots were shipped to us, but the quality on first inspection looks superb!

Surface detail:

Beule and undercarriage builges:

Cockpit details:

Undercarriage:

Spinner and a choice of propellers for different variants:

Drop tank and bomb:

I'll add photos of the remaining parts as they arrive - and, in the meantime, get started on the build!

Much more to come.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Quoted Text

I'll add photos of the remaining parts as they arrive - and, in the meantime, get started on the build!

It seems as if the postal service is faster in France. I have received my parcel on Monday already...

I have started my build yesterday and here are the first in-progress pictures. I have decided to build the model "clean" without adding too much weathering and painting effects so people can better concentrate on the characteristics of the new Eduard kit. I will also build an old Hasegawa Bf 109G-6 at the same time and do some comparison shots. This is to emphasize the evolution of the plastic model hobby in the past 20 years.

The first picture shows some excerpts from the first page of the instructions...

The building of the first components is pretty straightforward. One just has to make sure the locator pins of the smaller parts are refined a little to make them fall into place. Nothing to worry about though. The photo etch fret has been already used for a lot of parts: seatbelts, instrument boxes on the floor, rudder pedals, etc... The fuel pipe running through the cockpit is made of clear plastic which makes the rendering of the glass part easier...

Here a first comparison shot with the same Hasegawa sub-assembly. No need to comment I think. Sure the PE parts make a huge difference but the separate seat and pilot back make the plastic parts look better as well...

To be continued...

Jean-Luc

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Great work as ever!

Oh dear, though! - our Dual-Build was always going to be a case of the turtle and the hare (or should that be the E-Bunny! LOL!), but when the fastest builder I know gets a two-day head start, there's no chance of keeping up! I hoped at least we could start together so I could watch you disappear into the distance - but you're already over the horizon and out of sight...

Unless I bribe your local postman to delay the final parts, you'll be finished before I've even had a chance to start!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:54 AM UTC
I started just an hour ago .. with the wings .. yes you know why.

Is it me is the testshot plastic a little softer than the regular eduard stuff?
Anyway, the wheel bay is as easy to assemble as the Spitfire thing. The fit is very(!) good though I had some small edges to clean ... remember Jan wrote he had to steal the sprues as the tool was not fully "operational" yet, I bet this is why. Some pix tomorrow.

all the best

Steffen
hopkinspeter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ireland
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:15 AM UTC
Just wondering if anyone knows why Eduard has chosen to do that weird-looking 'V'-shaped break at the wing centre section on the underside?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi Peter

A quick check on scale drawings indicates that it should be straight - but I haven't found a clear photo to confirm that.

One small point I noticed in Jean-Luc's cockpit photos is the retaining strap on the cannon breach cover. Eduard's instructions show it to be painted brown (as if it's leather), but looking at shots in Squadron's Walkaround I think the strap was metal in real life.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:10 PM UTC
I will be following this thread closing .Being sold on this kit already will be placing an order in at my LHS .

Terri
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:09 PM UTC
While I'm by no means a -109 experte, what I see here definitely looks as though this kit will become the definitive 109 in this scale, unless something catastrophic is discovered during building.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hi again

Somewhat bleary eyed in the cold clear light of dawn, I've done a quick test fit of the major parts:

The fit's very encouraging, despite there not being any locating pins (something that beginners might have a little trouble with).

Going back to the way the belly's been handled - there are some useful reference photos HERE. I can't see a corresponding panel line, so it could be an awkward seam to hide.

Something the "Experten" might focus on is the fin as being, maybe, too symmetrical in cross-section?

All the best

Rowan

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:12 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

I do not think symmetry is the problem but maybe being centered and straight (insteead of slightly off center and kinked) ... BUT at the moment I cannot really see how it will look on the finished model. probably it will be o.k.

cheers

Steffen
P.S. as this is mainly J-Ls and Rowans party my build log for those who read German
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Could be - although I'm sure I've read somewhere that the symmetrical offset fin of early model '109s was replaced by an airfoil section one to produce the same effect?

I'll have to go dig through some references for that, but today I'm going to treat myself to the luxury of spending some time at the workbench. I've got the afternoon off work so, while there's no chance of catching Speedy Gonzales, I hope I can make enough progress that people can tell Jean-Luc and I are working on the same kit.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

not sure but quite possible. I am in the same boat and rather build than dig through books ...

cheers

Steffen
dcook11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:37 PM UTC
Probably a stupid question, but why three props?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hello Darrell,

Quoted Text

Probably a stupid question, but why three props?

Eduard will do other Bf 109 variants and especially the "F". Some sprues already share some optional parts with these future kits.

Rowan, your Messerschmitt is almost complete... and "Speddy Gonzales" is something I will remember...

Here is Part Two of my progress...

The cockpit is done and looks rather fine and busy enough in my opinion...

... especially when compared to the Hasegawa kit...

The instrument panels are different approaches between the two manufacturers. Pre-painted photo etched parts for Eduard and decals over a plastic part in the older kit. Both have received a coat of matt varnish and some gloss varnish for the dials...

When gluing piece H40 (rear cockpit), make sure to thin down the edges of the part. Otherwise it won't sit flush and this will make the positioning of the rear part of the canopy a problem later...

The way the instrument panel is secured in three places inside the fuselage side is a very good idea from the designers of the kit though. It's almost impossible to do something wrong here...

Here is were I am at the moment. The Hasegawa fuselage is closed already but, like my building colleagues, I have to wait for sprue I to be able to continue the build. This is because the exhausts have to be added before matting the fuselage halves together...

To be continued...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Holy frijoles - that looks good!

Thanks for the heads-up on Part 40.

Quoted Text

Rowan, your Messerschmitt is almost complete...

Err... maybe not... it fell apart again!

I'd have to warn anyone with an aversion to small etched parts - the cockpit does involve folding a few little boxes etc. Styrene alternatives are provided for some - but not all of them:

The third package arrived at lunchtime, so I'll quickly post the pics of that and then start painting.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi again

The third and final set of pre-release parts and accessories arrived here this lunchtime:

So's not to get too distracted from the standard build, I'll come back to the Brassin sets another day. So, for now, here's a look at some of the details on the final sprue:

Now to go throw some paint at the cockpit!

All the best

Rowan
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hi there,
Really good looking detail on that plastic, don't you think Rowan?

I just ordered a set of overtrees plus a PE sheet. Overall the price tag should be a few euros higher than a future weekend edition, so I considered a good deal since I have a heap of Gustav decals stashed around

Gonna follow yours and Jean-Luc's builds with keen interest!

Cheers
Pedro
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi Pedro

I agree - some of the moulded detail is quite superb.

I got the basic colours with some shading and highlighting done this afternoon.

Clearly, still a lot to do, but I was relieved to be underway and to get the feeling that it's starting to "happen".

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Great...

Still waiting for sprue I so you can catch up. Steffen is also well underway...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:32 PM UTC
Cheers Jean-Luc

I expect your package will arrive today.

I'll try to get a bit more done before I leave for work this morning, but catch up? - I hardly think so.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:12 PM UTC
Steffen is also waiting for Sprue I.

Fuselage is closed up. Shoulder straps still not installed.

BTW the paint cracked from seat belts (falling off in flakes) when I bent them into place .. this is the first time in years that I experienced this. Hope this is rather a case of stupid me than a cheaper printing technology.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:58 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

That's odd about the straps - I've not had any trouble in years either. I'll be careful with mine when I get there...

Talking of etched parts:

Little piggies all in a row, waiting to have their fret attachment points painted over before being added to the model.

I thought I'd better check Jean-Luc's warning about Part H40 in case his was a one-off problem with these final test-shot sprues. It's the same in my sample. The fit seems OK, but don't be fooled - the part sits just proud enough to spoil the fit of the rear canopy section:

Follow Jean-Luc's advice and chamfer the edges.

All the best

Rowan
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:12 PM UTC

A comparison matching fuselage halves to Zvezda's parts would be most helpful.

One wishes Eduard had taken some inspiration from it...

Gaston
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:38 PM UTC
Rowan,

the parcel is just in... could you please check your Brassin 648148 (the MG 151 pods). My set has two lhs covers (R7 with R8 missing). I want to find out if all are packed wrong or if I just got a "bad set"

all the best

Steffen
P.S. exhausts (a bit sloppy fit) and MG inserts installed (premium fit!!), Fuselage closed up, fuselage and wings married. Gap is good though the Bf 109 E fits a bit tighter

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi all,

Quoted Text

could you please check your Brassin 648148 (the MG 151 pods). My set has two lhs covers (R7 with R8 missing). I want to find out if all are packed wrong or if I just got a "bad set"

Steffen, I have the same problem. I let you the honor to write a mail to the person concerned. Don't forget to mention that we both had a "bad set" (I fear there are more...).

Rowan, see, "Speedy Gonzales" is not the one you thought...

I have finally received sprue I this morning. I have added the exhausts and closed the fuselage. Not much to report here, I just followed the instructions...

Fit was good but I had to trim part H59A a little...

I have then added the gun bulges on the cowling. The gun insert is indeed a perfect fit...

To be continued...

Jean-Luc
 _GOTOTOP