World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Grems 1/24th Typhoon build
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Julian,
The camo paint scheme looks fantastic!! to bad the AK paints were so bad.
Joel

Thank you Joel, it's a pity about the AK paint actually because the colors are good. I'll stick to my favorite brands on the next build
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking Fantastic Julian!

I am curious though, when you say 'ultra sonic cleaner' does that mean you have a machine that cleans the airbrush???

Russ

Hi Russell,
yes, I have a cleaner for my airbrushes. You fill a tank with cleaning liquid, put the parts in and switch the thing on. The tank vibrates causing the water to vibrate aiding the removal of paint residue in the airbrushes. Works fine
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good morning Stephen,thank you, glad to hear you have been enjoying my take on the Airfix Typhoon and congratulations on taking the plunge and buying the beast You will enjoy it, it's not Tamiya style shake and bake but with a bit of care it comes together nicely.
It is a huge box and Mrs. Gremlin56 also takes a rather dim view of the purchases I make and try to smuggle into my hobby room or up to the stash. An absolute low was when trumpeter's 1/200th scale Bismarck arrived while Mrs. Gremlin56 was at home and I was at work No chance of smuggling that one in

I did see that big Bismark in my hobby shop but I think that would be a step too far at this time!

I still have a little work to do on mine Stephen, I keep getting lead astray by other projects
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC

It is a huge box and Mrs. Gremlin56 also takes a rather dim view of the purchases I make and try to smuggle into my hobby room or up to the stash. An absolute low was when trumpeter's 1/200th scale Bismarck arrived while Mrs. Gremlin56 was at home and I was at work No chance of smuggling that one in
[/quote]

When I get " You haven't bought ANOTHER kit "from SWMBO, I justify it by telling her it keeps me off the streets getting( too) drunk and picking fights. I don't think it works though.
Nice to see some paint on it, you're nearly there now.

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am curious though, when you say 'ultra sonic cleaner' does that mean you have a machine that cleans the airbrush???

Russ

Hi Russell,
yes, I have a cleaner for my airbrushes. You fill a tank with cleaning liquid, put the parts in and switch the thing on. The tank vibrates causing the water to vibrate aiding the removal of paint residue in the airbrushes. Works fine

i have one similar to this and would be lost with out it nowadays

Kitmaker review - Ultra sonic Airbrush cleaner
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When I get " You haven't bought ANOTHER kit "from SWMBO, I justify it by telling her it keeps me off the streets getting( too) drunk and picking fights. I don't think it works though.

[/quote]

No John, hate to tell you but this excuse doesn't work. Try saying it keeps you away from the wild women and you stand a better chance
Yes, it's starting to look like a Typhoon. Painfully clean still though
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Russ

Hi Russell,

Hi Allen, Good review and nice explanation of how an ultrasonic cleaner works, (better than my explanation anyway ).
I use Tikopur as cleaning liquid. I tested it when I first bought it on an old fountain pen that got clogged up and dried and lived on my desk for about 5 years. One run through the cleaner and I was able to fill it and use it again. It also cleans the paint of all my tweezers and clamps and it does an enviable job on my glasses too
As you say, not too expensive but a fantastic investment that keeps your airbrushes up and running.

Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 03:10 AM UTC
September 25th update:
Warpaint:

I'll give some more details on the decals this weekend. Too busy now.

Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
Hello again, just been thinking of how to dirty it up. If you use a dark wash on all those rivets you're likely to get a cross hatched effect, which I haven't seen on colour photos of Typhoons, just a general "grubby" appearance. When I do mine I think I will use a wash on the panel lines only and leave the rivets, except perhaps on the undersides near the wheel wells. Just trying to give you a little food for thought.
That was some pretty good masking for the D-day stripes by the way, I didn't see any sign of overspray on the exposed areas. Keep up the good work
John
In France today
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hi John, yes, weathering: the great equalizer
The big chance to voluntarily mess up what you have just built
That stage is coming in close now.
The stripes? I would have liked to give Mal's masks a tryout here but my own fault for speeding. A lot of bloopers can be solved with the "Hairy stick Mk.1". Putting the mask on and giving a coat of matt varnish before the paint can solve a lot of 'paint creep",(well, I am not going to exhibit all of my s***w ups am I ?). What I messed up were the decals, more of that to come this weekend. I really plooked this due to speeding. Ah well, live and learn I guess
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No John, hate to tell you but this excuse doesn't work. Try saying it keeps you away from the wild women and you stand a better chance
Yes, it's starting to look like a Typhoon. Painfully clean still though

Hehee, this exact same scenario plays out in 'Casa de E' all too often I've given up trying to justify purchases, or claiming that our hobby keeps us away from establishments of dubious reputation

Instead, I just pay for the kit from my pocket money and when asked about where I'm 'going to put this one' I tend to walk off and pretend to be mumbling something or other under my breath to the effect that I know exactly where it will go without committing to anything in particular. Because of course, I have absolutely no idea!

Anyway, The Tiffy's looking great Julian, nearly in the home stretch now
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Russ

Hi Russell,

Hi Allen, Good review and nice explanation of how an ultrasonic cleaner works, (better than my explanation anyway ).
I use Tikopur as cleaning liquid. I tested it when I first bought it on an old fountain pen that got clogged up and dried and lived on my desk for about 5 years. One run through the cleaner and I was able to fill it and use it again. It also cleans the paint of all my tweezers and clamps and it does an enviable job on my glasses too
As you say, not too expensive but a fantastic investment that keeps your airbrushes up and running.

Now for the big question: Does it work for us 'toxic avengers' who use solvent based paints in our airbrushes?
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 12:51 PM UTC
Yes it does, I use Medea airbrush cleaner and if you need to use a stronger solvent you can put a glass jar in there with the solvent in it.

Cheers Rob.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 05:17 PM UTC
This is the "El Cheapo" cleaner I bought:

It cost 60 Euros and has been running smoothly for 6 years now.
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 05:55 PM UTC
I just gotta have one. I think I can persuade Mrs Biggles87 to buy me one for Christmas on the basis that she can clean her jewellery in it. (if she can find it tee hee)
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 02:16 AM UTC
September 26th update:
Just a small update. The leading edge yellow stripes have been added and the second round of decals going on:

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 05:53 AM UTC
Julian,
It's really coming together quite nicely now.
Joel
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hi Joel, yes, thanks. The progress is obvious now, just need to get the beast up on its undercarriage

Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 01:46 AM UTC
September 28th update:
Undercarriage doors and flaps. Lots of stripes that all have to match up. Will look very good methinks.

All decals have been added now. The Eagle Edition decals and the Airfix decals performed magnificently although I have a preference for the Eagle Edition product because it gives a painted on effect that has the edge on Airfix. I messed up with the fuselage decals, forgetting that because they are very thin the fuselage invasion stripes would show through. This can be easily solved by painting a circle of white paint where the decal should go or by cutting a circle of white decal film Yep, I forgot so ended up putting two decals on top of each other.
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 02:17 AM UTC
September 28th update part 2:
Nearly forgot these:

The beast has legs
Longshanks8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 04:36 AM UTC
Looking magnificent !!!
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi Kev, thanks mate. The old girl looks like someone has been slipping anabolic steroids into her gas tanks
Hefty piece of kit
Things are excessively quiet over at the MSW, looks like a lot of the regulars are abandoning ship. Whats the climate like at Britmodeller?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC
That is looking really good Julian
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC
Good morning Julian, your progress and the quality is amazing !
A definitive winner !
Hard to find new superlatves untold above, well done !
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kev, thanks mate. The old girl looks like someone has been slipping anabolic steroids into her gas tanks
Hefty piece of kit
Things are excessively quiet over at the MSW, looks like a lot of the regulars are abandoning ship. Whats the climate like at Britmodeller?

your Tiffy's beyond words mate!

I reckon all of us on the salty side are in awe of your build and not able to get back to the work bench... either that or we're bogged down in the battleships campaign such as myself

Russ