World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Grems 1/24th Typhoon build
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 03:22 AM UTC
June 27th:
Some more Typhoon related goodies arrived today, the "Through the lens Typhoon at war" booklet and Radu's rather intimidating Sutton harness.

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC
Now I have to guy buy a new book. I'll need your mailing address so my wife can track you down.

The harness fits well. Luckily you only have to do one lol. The metal rings really only need to be on one side if you don't twist the belt around. I used t toothpick to put superglue on the belt around the hole and then used tweezers to drop the rings in place.

The hardest part is running the straps, just takes time and patience

Edit - Where did you find that book?
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now I have to guy buy a new book. I'll need your mailing address so my wife can track you down.

The harness fits well. Luckily you only have to do one lol. The metal rings really only need to be on one side if you don't twist the belt around. I used t toothpick to put superglue on the belt around the hole and then used tweezers to drop the rings in place.

The hardest part is running the straps, just takes time and patience

Edit - Where did you find that book?

Sheesh Matt, every time I browse model sites it costs money

The book can be ordered here:
https://shop.keypublishing.com
Steve Budd mentioned the book in his very elegant build in the Airfix Magazine. Don't expect miracles. It's cheap and has nice photo's full stop.
The harness is rather terrifying at the moment. I'll chill and get around to doing a knife job on it when the time comes
Cheers,
Julian
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 01:18 PM UTC
Thanks Julian. It didn't come up in a simple google search

Edit - Order placed.

I have an insatiable appetite for material on the Typhoon.
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 03:54 PM UTC
You might check out Amazon.co.uk
There are a couple of dvd's on sale about the Typhoon.
I ordered this:
The Royal Air Force Collection - Typhoon At War [DVD]
cheers,
Julian
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 07:30 PM UTC
I don't know if I'm right (where are you Chris T) but I don't think that all Typhoons used the Sutton harness. We'll see.
Could save you some effort
John
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 08:28 PM UTC
Thanks John, having bought the Sutton I think I'll give it a go. The assembled examples I have seen look very smart so its worth the attempt and effort,
Cheers,
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 08:41 PM UTC
Sorry, that wasn't very clear, I meant of course the earlier type Sutton harness with holes as opposed to the later type with the parachute type box fastening which was still a Sutton harness.
John
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 09:50 PM UTC
Ok, I'll check on that John, thanks again,
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, that wasn't very clear, I meant of course the earlier type Sutton harness with holes as opposed to the later type with the parachute type box fastening which was still a Sutton harness.

Sorry, but, no, it wasn't; the Sutton was invented by an officer, called Sutton, during WWI, and was only the single design.
Most often, the later harness, with the quick-release box, was simply known as the "Q" type, which was a recipe for confusion, since one Spitfire Sutton was known as the "QK."
Because only one Typhoon airframe survives, we can't be sure about the harness, since even the Pilot's Notes seem to have never got beyond the car-door type, but the repair manual only illustrates a Sutton.
Incidentally, a Sutton should not be "draped" across the seat base, since the areas with the holes had a strip of steel sewn inside for strengthening, so were stiff as a board. This would surely have made them a nightmare to pull free from under a pilot's backside, which was why you often see them hanging outside the cockpit.
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 09:11 PM UTC
Good morning Edgar,
If you have any more tips and hints for the Typhoon please feel free to hijack this thread, (well, for a while at least ).If any interesting or informative websites come to mind please mention them too.
Radu's Sutton is the QK type according to the package it came in.
Cheers,
Julian
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A nice start Julian I must get on with mine

Indeed - Telford looms... lol.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You might check out Amazon.co.uk
There are a couple of dvd's on sale about the Typhoon.
I ordered this:
The Royal Air Force Collection - Typhoon At War [DVD]
cheers,
Julian

Sadly those dvds aren't coded for region 1, or vice versa so they wont play here.

Edgar - can you post some photos of that metal strip or how that part of the belt would look. I've been doing it wrong and would like to see how it should look.
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sorry, but, no, it wasn't; the Sutton was invented by an officer, called Sutton, during WWI, and was only the single design.
Most often, the later harness, with the quick-release box, was simply known as the "Q" type, which was a recipe for confusion, since one Spitfire Sutton was known as the "QK."
Because only one Typhoon airframe survives, we can't be sure about the harness, since even the Pilot's Notes seem to have never got beyond the car-door type, but the repair manual only illustrates a Sutton.
Incidentally, a Sutton should not be "draped" across the seat base, since the areas with the holes had a strip of steel sewn inside for strengthening, so were stiff as a board. This would surely have made them a nightmare to pull free from under a pilot's backside, which was why you often see them hanging outside the cockpit.

Sorry Edgar, I bow to your superior (as always) knowledge.
John
Jonathan_Mock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is Typhoon I mentioned above, I like the general appearance and it's rather colorful too:

I hope that Profile Publications don't take affront to my posting the drawing here.

I think that one has largely been debunked as being a fictional scheme.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Edgar - can you post some photos of that metal strip or how that part of the belt would look. I've been doing it wrong and would like to see how it should look.

I'll have a look, but there's really nothing to see; the metal was sewn inside the belts, leaving only the fabric (and holes) to look at. The only clue (and it was years before I discovered this) is the absolute rigidity of that section of each belt.
The tips of the belts were also numbered 1-4 (best of luck doing that in the smaller scales,) since the sequence was left shoulder, right thigh, left thigh, right shoulder, with the connecting pin appearing through a hole in strap 1, and the securing, triangular pin attached, with a cord, to strap 4.
I believe that this was done because most people are right-handed, and the right hand would naturally fall on the clip during bale-out (parachute ripcord handles are on the pilot's left side for the same reason.)
Edgar
P.S. This might help, but the stiffness is only apparent if you already know it's there:-
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is Typhoon I mentioned above, I like the general appearance and it's rather colorful too:

I hope that Profile Publications don't take affront to my posting the drawing here.

I think that one has largely been debunked as being a fictional scheme.

Hi Jonathan,
quite possible it's a phoney. Doesn't bother me much though, I build for my own fun and not for competitions or meetings and no one can accuse me of being a rivet counter
I do find the scheme appealing though.
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'll have a look, but there's really nothing to see; the metal was sewn inside the belts, leaving only the fabric (and holes) to look at. The only clue (and it was years before I discovered this) is the absolute rigidity of that section of each belt.
The tips of the belts were also numbered 1-4 (best of luck doing that in the smaller scales,) since the sequence was left shoulder, right thigh, left thigh, right shoulder, with the connecting pin appearing through a hole in strap 1, and the securing, triangular pin attached, with a cord, to strap 4.
I believe that this was done because most people are right-handed, and the right hand would naturally fall on the clip during bale-out (parachute ripcord handles are on the pilot's left side for the same reason.)
Edgar
P.S. This might help, but the stiffness is only apparent if you already know it's there:-

Nice detail Edgar, numbering the straps shouldn't be to much of a problem,
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Edgar

Perfect thank you - that shows exactly what I wanted to see, now that I know I'll do this properly.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 02:12 AM UTC
July 3rd:
these arrived from "down Devon" today:

Should bring up the panels and rivet details nicely.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
Julian,
I use Flory washes for sludge washes. The only colors I found necessary are the Dark and light washes, as you can mix them for any tone you need for a particular application. I still prefer enamel oil washes for pin washes and detail areas.
Joel

Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Julian,
I use Flory washes for sludge washes. The only colors I found necessary are the Dark and light washes, as you can mix them for any tone you need for a particular application. I still prefer enamel oil washes for pin washes and detail areas.
Joel

Couldn't agree more Joel, oil washes are nearly impossible to replace by anything else. I have noticed that the Flory washes give good effects for panel lines so that is why I ordered it. I am at the moment mistreating an old Harrier build to see how the wash holds up.
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC

I noticed on Axel's Modellbaushop that the Typhoon ETA has been changed to the end of July so I think I will be putting this thread into a "hibernation" mode until the model finally puts in an appearance and will be concentrating on my "30 seconds over Tokyo" thread at Model Shipwrights, finishing my 1/200 USS Hornet.
[/quote]

Oh bu--er, patience never was one of my strong points. Perhaps they're waiting for the ADH book to be published!
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 08:20 PM UTC
Good morning John,
Airfix estimated July 21st, Sometime this month would seem a safe bet at the moment. Once it has arrived I suppose we will all start looking around for the next Holy Grail of modelling to be released, (now where is that il-4 that was supposed to be issued this Summer),
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 12:46 AM UTC
July 4th update:

These arrived today.

More than an hour of film, good quality too.