Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Grumman Campaign
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you're using liquid glue ( use Extra Thin), I've found that it does cause a slight trench along seam lines, that often require additional work to full remove the seam.

I am using a Tenax clone lately. I think my error was I didn't take more time cleaning it up properly after I joined the fuselage. I brushed some Mr. Surfacer 500 on the line and sanded it down after it dried, trying to speed along to priming. I should have sanded more and relied on Mr. Surfacer less.

I took a Flex-i-file to it today and reworked the entire bottom, the seam is completely gone now. I did take out some of the rivet detail along the centerline but not much I could do to avoid that. Re-scribing is an art form, but I am soldiering through my screw up and replacing some of the more important detail.

Paul,
Glad to hear that you've over come that issue and have soldered on. When it comes to re-scribing, I'm still in boot camp. Just always find a way of not doing it. I really need to over come my personal issues with it, and at least learn the basics.
Joel
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hey SimonL, great looking Duck! the wiring looks great, and the wing dihedral is perfect.

Ive gotton a days work done on my Albatrosses. Airframes complete, filling and fairing nearly done. first dusting of primer reveals some areas that still need work

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:05 AM UTC
Jonathan,
Your pair of Albatrosses really look quite good. I also see some areas that need a little more TLC, but nothing major. Looking forward to seeing them with a little paint on in your next update.
Joel
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 09:04 AM UTC
1/48 Eduard F6F-3 + Wolfpack wing fold

The underside after sanding the entire seam down, rescribing major details, and then shooting a new coat of primer.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 10:36 AM UTC
Paul,
Really impressive. Absolutely no sign of any seams, and the re-scribing looks like it was cast that way.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC
Got a little more done over the last few days. I built both boarding ladders that were mostly PE. Added a little extra detailing to the shelf that is part of the canopy assembly, and masked and painted the canopy.
Here's a few pictures of what I accomplished. The full update has been posted to my Build thread in the Cold War Forum.
Joel

FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
Greetings,
More progress, primer and paint applied.

Regards,
Firstsergeant
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 08:42 AM UTC
Firstsergeant,
Excellent looking paint. The scheme on my computer looks like two tone gray. Is it an Atlantic paint scheme?
Joel
FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 11:34 AM UTC
Greetings Joel,
Thank you! The scheme is simply "Scheme II". It is an Atlantic pattern. The pattern is Dark Gull Gray over White. "Scheme I" differs with the addition of Light Gull Gray between the other two colors. The kit depicts an aircraft from VC-58. VC-58 was a composite squadron comprised of the Dauntless and Wildcat. The squadron saw action with CV-60, USS Guadelcanal in 1944. Their mission was anti-submarine warfare.
Regards,
Firstsergeant
FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 09:43 PM UTC
Greetings,
CVE60, and Avenger aircraft not Dauntless. My bad, sorry for getting my facts confused.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 09:50 PM UTC
That Hellcat looks great!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 11:25 PM UTC
As usual life is getting in the way but work progresses on the Tomcat. All the details can be found in my F-14D Tomcat VF-31 Blog

but basically work has continued with the cockpit and started on the wheel wells and intakes.

b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 07:52 AM UTC
[quote]Peter: You are fast and the Hawkeye turns out to be a nice one It's really a "great" kit - mine is still waitig for progress...

Thanks Thomas,
I hope I can finish it before my holiday trip, but there's still much time left I'm looking forward to see yours soon, too....
Cheers Peter
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings Joel,
Thank you! The scheme is simply "Scheme II". It is an Atlantic pattern. The pattern is Dark Gull Gray over White. "Scheme I" differs with the addition of Light Gull Gray between the other two colors. The kit depicts an aircraft from VC-58. VC-58 was a composite squadron comprised of the Dauntless and Wildcat. The squadron saw action with CV-60, USS Guadelcanal in 1944. Their mission was anti-submarine warfare.
Regards,
Firstsergeant

Firstsegeant,
I see. I always seem to mix those Altantic schemes up. As a matter of fact I do recall that they called the Dark Gull Gray, Non Spectacular Dark Gull Gray, which confused me when I 1st got back into the hobby years ago. I was building the Hobby Boss 1/48 scale TBM-3 Avenger, and miss painted the Non Spectacular Dark Gull Gray as Non Spectacular Gray/Blue. For years I keep on promising myself to build another one with the correct paint scheme, but so far it's only been a promise.

Since this is a Grumman Aircraft Campaign, I guess it's ok if I post a picture of that model.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 09:09 AM UTC
Allen,
Nice to see that you're making progress on your F-14A. I'll be stopping by your build blog to catch up.
Joel
FirstSergeant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 11:47 AM UTC
Great job on the Avenger, Joel. I've done that with Sea Blue, flat, gloss, or semi gloss. I was confused about the non specular too.

Thank you, Jonathan!

Firstsergeant
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC
It's a Navy thing; the word "flat" would just be entirely too obvious.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC
Non-specular just means matte (flat) finish.

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 12:36 AM UTC
Michael & Paul,
Thanks for that clarification. My issue when I 1st got back into modeling was the association of the it with the two tone Blue/Gray and light Gray scheme prior to 1943. Now I know better.

When one thinks about it, the USN wasn't very consistent as it didn't call the bottom light Gray, nor later any flat White, non-spectacular.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC
OK, taking a little time to work on the Bearcat in my hotel room, under the worlds dimmest desk lamp.
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 01:45 PM UTC

I pre-shaded all of the panel lines and shot Floquil Reefer White for the undersides but managed to botch the paint job. For some reason my Iwata didn't want to cooperate with the paint. I should have quit as soon as it gave me trouble and cleaned it thoroughly to try again, but I was impatient and tried to work through the difficulty. I ended up with a very rough and uneven finish. I debated sanding it but in the end decided to play it safe and I stripped the paint with white spirits. I need to touch up some of the primer and pre-shading before I redo the white.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I pre-shaded all of the panel lines and shot Floquil Reefer White for the undersides but managed to botch the paint job. For some reason my Iwata didn't want to cooperate with the paint. I should have quit as soon as it gave me trouble and cleaned it thoroughly to try again, but I was impatient and tried to work through the difficulty. I ended up with a very rough and uneven finish. I debated sanding it but in the end decided to play it safe and I stripped the paint with white spirits. I need to touch up some of the primer and pre-shading before I redo the white.

Paul,
Sorry to hear about those painting issues, as you're usually a master with the air brush. The vast majority of the time air brush issues are caused by dried paint in the gun. I use a external mix Paasche-H gun and I've had those issues in the past. After every painting session I clean it completely with a store brand Lacquer Thinner. I know that it's a lot more involved with an internal mix unit, but there is no other way to keep them spotlessly clean.

The other side of the coin is the paint. But with your experience in modeling, I doubt that you would have used the wrong thinner, or old paint that wouldn't mix correctly.

Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 12:00 PM UTC
Primer on :-

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
Richard,
Looking real good. Now for some paint.
Joel
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 11:24 PM UTC
Paul, sorry for that mess with your Airbrush and paint removing. Iwata is known for some trouble, hope you can fix it.
Maybe you (and anybody who is interested) can also find a solution here: https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/troubleshooting

Thomas