World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It seems, i missed a lot of fine modelling here, Joel. Your Ventura looks great and will be a very nice addition to your 1/48 collection.

Bernd,
Thanks so much for stopping by. There's still a lot of modeling to do, so feel free to stop by whenever you have the time.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 01:04 AM UTC
Finally, I've accomplished enough for another update. Lately, work has demanded more of my time rather then less, even though I'm semi retired. Go figure.

After a final Gloss coat to seal the decals, I needed to decide if I wanted to further weather the PV-1. The blotchy Black basing air brushed over the AMMO gray primer really had a most realistic fading effect on both the top and bottom of the aircraft, so I didn't see the need for any additional weathering besides exhaust smoke, and a little dirt and grime once the landing gear has been installed.

Time to pay some attention to the recessed panel lines. The faded dark gray could either be done with a very dark gray or even black or a lighter gray pin wash, while the white sides and belly would be done in dark gray using a dark gray sludge wash to just dirty up the bottom of the aircraft a touch more.

I decided to see how a light gray would work for the top side panel lines. I was pretty happy with the final results, although I'm sure I would have felt the same way if I went with a dark gray instead.

Here's a closer picture of the upper wing and fuselage.

I gave everything a day or so to dry, then I applied a dark Gray sludge wash using Flory's dark weathering wash.

Now it's on to finishing the turret assembly, the main gear, and tail wheel assembly, and finally detailing the Quickboost engines.

Joel

litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 02:24 AM UTC
I do like your treatment of the panel lines on the upper surfaces Joel. the light grey looks more subtle than darker greys or black.
Keep up the excellent work.
tim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do like your treatment of the panel lines on the upper surfaces Joel. the light grey looks more subtle than darker greys or black.
Keep up the excellent work.
tim

Tim,
Thanks for stopping by, I certainly appreciate your feedback. The more I look at those light panel lines, the more I'm glad I made that decision.

Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 04:00 AM UTC
Joel, I really like the look of the grey panel lines. It breaks up the finish and gives the airplane the look of a maritime patroller.

Best wishes,

Ian
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 05:50 PM UTC
That grey panel lines indeed look very nice. It gives a nice worn down look. I am thinking to apply this on my Argentinean S-55.

Jelger
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, I really like the look of the grey panel lines. It breaks up the finish and gives the airplane the look of a maritime patroller.

Best wishes,

Ian

Ian,
Thanks for that most positive comment. You really nailed what the look is.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That grey panel lines indeed look very nice. It gives a nice worn down look. I am thinking to apply this on my Argentinean S-55.

Jelger

Jelger,
Thanks for stopping by and your most positive comments. Looking forward to see how those grayish panel lines translates to your S-55.
Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:06 PM UTC
Wow, Joel, I am impressed. This plane has held zero interest for me until your build. I'd never seen much more than line drawings, and it's gotten little mention in the books I've read over time. But you're really creating a stunner here!

Can't wait for more,

Gary
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, Joel, I am impressed. This plane has held zero interest for me until your build. I'd never seen much more than line drawings, and it's gotten little mention in the books I've read over time. But you're really creating a stunner here!

Can't wait for more,

Gary

Gary,
Thanks so much for your more then kind words. I've always had a soft spot the secondary aircraft that never really gets any headlines. Actually, I'm more interested in a PV-2 then -1, but I'm thrilled to able to add it to my collection.

Joel
J_Alguire
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 12:06 AM UTC
Joel:
Im building an RCAF PV-1 too, great job; did you get a cockpit canopy with the flaw in it? Its quite a noticeable mold flaw or something, looks like a seam in the plastic, but its not a seam line. I had Revell send a replacement, and the replacement had the exact mold flaw too.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel:
Im building an RCAF PV-1 too, great job; did you get a cockpit canopy with the flaw in it? Its quite a noticeable mold flaw or something, looks like a seam in the plastic, but its not a seam line. I had Revell send a replacement, and the replacement had the exact mold flaw too.

Jamie,
Thanks for stopping by. I certainly appreciate your most positive comment.

And welcome to Aeroscale. You're really going to like it here.
Where in/on the canopy is the flaw line?

Joel
J_Alguire
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 05:31 AM UTC
It looks like a scratch across the pilot canopy clear parts starboard top & side, hard to see in the pic, but its identical to the replacement part Revell sent. You cant buff it out, because its not surficial, its actually a flaw.
J_Alguire
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 05:42 AM UTC
And thx for the welcome!!
J_Alguire
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 05:50 AM UTC
http:///data/13711/P10100693.JPG
J_Alguire
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 05:51 AM UTC
I give up...how do you download images??
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jamie,
There are a few ways to download pictures. Here's how I do it. 1st you need a cloud picture storage, I use Photobucket. I pay $2.99/month extra as I have unlimited monthly bandwidth as I download more pics then the allowed free bandwidth, I also have 22.0 GB of storage which is massive. Start with the free service and see If it meets your needs.

Under each picture you upload there are 4 boxes of data, the last one is IMG. You just copy and past it into your post on Aeroscale. When you finish your reply or post and hit the yes, your pictures will appear. That's the easiest way. If you use the [IMG] tab below, you just copy and past that link in between the [IMG] but you have to delete one set of the IMGs or they appear in your post.

Most cloud services will auto compress your pictures to a max 1024x768, so use an editing program and resize your pictures before you upload them.

As for that canopy flaw, you can see my canopy up close on the pilots side, and there isn't any molding flaw.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 03:05 AM UTC
This really isn't an update, but rather the fix to a decaling error by yours truly. A few days ago my good Aeroscale friend Rowan pm'd me inquiring about the placement of the port fin flash on the vertical stab. He wanted to know if it was specific to the aircraft that I was building. Now I've looked at those vertical stabs dozens of times and honestly, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Here's what Rowan noticed:

You will notice that the fin flash is on the rudder, not the vertical stab as it should be. Well, I've already sealed the decal, then lightly weathered the vertical stabs, then Matt coated it. So removing the decaling would be a major issue. I really didn't want to strip and re-paint, as I was 100% certain that I'd damage the paint on both sides, destroy the de-iceing boot, and most likely cause some damage to the horizontal stab as well. So I decided to see what would be the result if I just re-painted the stab with as many light coats as it took to cover the decal. Hopefully the Gloss seal coat and Matt coat helped to blend in the edges.

The other issue is that air brushing on Tamiya XF-2 flat white would be to white compared to the white over the black base. So rather then starting with the black base again, I mixed a shade of off white the best I could. Took 3 or 4 tries, but I think it's close enough.

I then carefully masked the de-icing boot and the horizontal stab tip as well. A cardboard hand held mask was used to prevent over spray from getting to the fuselage and the main section of the horizontal stab. Here's the vert. stab after painting:

I gave the paint a day to dry, then re-decaled it:

While the fix isn't perfect, I think it's good enough. I also decided on the starboard side that the demarcation line between the white and extra dark gray needed more definition as it looked like this:

So I air brushed on more of the white mix, and got it to look like this:

Now it seams that I need to darken up the extra dark gray a tad.

Joel

litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 04:03 AM UTC
Nice fix Joel, you have done an excellent job remedying the problem.
tim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice fix Joel, you have done an excellent job remedying the problem.
tim

Tim,
Thanks so much for your vote of confidence. Coming from you it means a lot.
Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jamie, here's my canned response to image posting questions:
You don't need to buy any special software to post pictures here. If you want to resize your pictures there are several different freeware programs you can get such as Ifranview, Gimp or Paint.net. As a member of Aeroscale you have a space in the image gallery (look at the black bar on the top of the page. The Gallery is found between "Events" and "Links" on the top right hand side of the screen. Follow this tutorial to use it.)

The only problem with the gallery is because we have so many members it can't hold many pictures so many of us use another photo hosting site like Photobucket, Imageshack or Flickr to host our pictures.

Regardless where you host your pictures, the way to insert an image is pretty simple. Whenever you're writing a post, you'll see 7 little white buttons just below the area you type in. the far right-hand button says {img} (except that the brackets are square). Click that button whenever you want to insert a picture and you'll see this appear:
{img}http://put.url.here/image.file{/img}
(once again, the brackets will be square in real life)

Go to your image hosting site, select your picture, and copy its URL. Each site has a different way to share the links so poke about until you find the one which works on yours.

Come back to Aeroscale, and replace the text which says "http://put.url.here/image.file" with the URL that you just copied. I like to use browser tabs which let me easily switch between Aeroscale and my hosting site as many times as I like. This is useful for inserting multiple pictures in one post.

Enjoy your stay in Aeroscale. If you have any questions at all, all of us will be happy to answer them. Happy building!
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi Joel,
you know, I hadn't noticed the fin flash was on the wrong part of the plane. You've done an excellent job of fixing it.

Gary
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel,
you know, I hadn't noticed the fin flash was on the wrong part of the plane. You've done an excellent job of fixing it.

Gary

Gary,
Thanks once again for your comments. I do feel like a real newbie for not only making that rookie mistake, but not realizing it afterwards. Good old Eagle Rowan to the rescue once again.

Joel
J_Alguire
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jamie, here's my canned response to image posting questions:
You don't need to buy any special software to post pictures here. If you want to resize your pictures there are several different freeware programs you can get such as Ifranview, Gimp or Paint.net. As a member of Aeroscale you have a space in the image gallery (look at the black bar on the top of the page. The Gallery is found between "Events" and "Links" on the top right hand side of the screen. Follow this tutorial to use it.)

The only problem with the gallery is because we have so many members it can't hold many pictures so many of us use another photo hosting site like Photobucket, Imageshack or Flickr to host our pictures.

Regardless where you host your pictures, the way to insert an image is pretty simple. Whenever you're writing a post, you'll see 7 little white buttons just below the area you type in. the far right-hand button says {img} (except that the brackets are square). Click that button whenever you want to insert a picture and you'll see this appear:
{img}http://put.url.here/image.file{/img}
(once again, the brackets will be square in real life)

Go to your image hosting site, select your picture, and copy its URL. Each site has a different way to share the links so poke about until you find the one which works on yours.

Come back to Aeroscale, and replace the text which says "http://put.url.here/image.file" with the URL that you just copied. I like to use browser tabs which let me easily switch between Aeroscale and my hosting site as many times as I like. This is useful for inserting multiple pictures in one post.

Enjoy your stay in Aeroscale. If you have any questions at all, all of us will be happy to answer them. Happy building!

Thanks Jessie & Joel, great to see the cockpit canopy flaw isnt on all these Revell kits, I will request another from Revell!!
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:02 PM UTC
Stunning really nice... also the scratch build enhancements .
Maybe I will try that too again when building a me262.
gr TC