World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... Word is out that there the customs is slowing down all packages from Russia for some reason.

Joel

It's probably for the same reason why F-22 Raptors and Eurofighters are based in Estonia now ....
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, one thing is for sure....the Ventura is a beautiful airplane. It has lines like no other twin.

Regards,

Ian

Ian,
That's for sure. Too bad Revell got so much wrong. I wonder if the Canadian restoration they used is the British export version. That would answer a lot of questions.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... Word is out that there the customs is slowing down all packages from Russia for some reason.

Joel

It's probably for the same reason why F-22 Raptors and Eurofighters are based in Estonia now ....

Torsten,
Could very well be, but the last thing we need is another military conflict. Of course if Dmitri Malkov didn't move back to Russia, this would be a non-issue.

BTW, the part sells for $11. With shipping from Russia the total cost is $ 19.59. And I will still have to hope that it eventually gets here.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 03:34 AM UTC
Work has been continuing at my usual snail's pace. I've been working on the cockpit and navigator/radio compartment. Both areas were air brushed with Interior Green made with Tamiya acrylics: 2 parts XF-3 Flat Yellow to 1 part XF-8 Flat Blue

I finished up the radio/Navigator compartment with a few scratch radios from made from sheet plastic painted flat black, and glued on some decals that looked like radio instrument faces.

Then work started on the cockpit. the IP was Eduard's typical layered IP. After assembling it, I applied a matt coat to dull the IP, then each instrument received a drop of Pledge to simulate a lens.

Then the cockpit was build up as per instructions. I did add a few black boxes to the rear bulk head for a busier look.

Even in this picture without the green house glass, you can see just how little of the Radio/Navigator compartment will be seen.

Still waiting for the DMold nose clip, so I'll be working on the basic Bombay and tail wheel assemblies next.

Joel

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC
Joel,
Your creativity shines through nicely as you add detail! Looks great!

Gary
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 07:48 AM UTC
Oooh! Your pilot is going to hate you every time he flies through turbulence and wallops the back of his head on your new black boxes!

Ergonomics: The Science of designing something so that the human using it never has to say "Ergh!"
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:14 AM UTC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
Your creativity shines through nicely as you add detail! Looks great!

Gary

Gary,
Thanks for stopping by and liking how the interior is shaping up.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oooh! Your pilot is going to hate you every time he flies through turbulence and wallops the back of his head on your new black boxes!

Ergonomics: The Science of designing something so that the human using it never has to say "Ergh!"

Jessica,
No question about it. One of the issues at least for me as we scale down from 1:1 is that everything gets smaller and closer together. The end result is the lack of realistic spacing from that black box to the back of the pilots head. I guess I should try to pop it off and thin it out some. Or I could just find a 1/48 scale bottle of Aspirin and add it to the cockpit.

I still have a final wash to apply, I just might try to thin it out.

BTW, thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:06 PM UTC
Great work on the interior. I like the throttle quadrant, especially. I got mine about ready to prime. Masking the RAF dorsal turret was fun.

Best wishes,

Ian
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work on the interior. I like the throttle quadrant, especially. I got mine about ready to prime. Masking the RAF dorsal turret was fun.

Best wishes,

Ian

Ian,
Thanks so much for stopping by. Between the Revell parts and the Eduard PE, the throttle quadrant really does look good.

I'm not exactly looking forward to masking the various glass.

Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC
At least Eduard used the yellow tape material for the masks rather than vinyl. Nonetheless, that was a lot of pieces for the turret!

Regards,

Ian

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 09:44 PM UTC
Ian,
Nice masking job even if they're pre-cut panels. Glad to see that the cockpit greenhouse glass masks correctly fit.

Your build really looks well done. Are those the kit cowlings and exhausts? I'm pretty sure with the latest order of the True Details props, I've bought every AM correcting part for the kit. Just seams strange that the kit got overall such good reviews, yet there was so much wrong with it.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:23 PM UTC
Joel! You're pushing your limits with this one ! Nice detailing!

Regards

Magnus
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ian,
Nice masking job even if they're pre-cut panels. Glad to see that the cockpit greenhouse glass masks correctly fit.

Your build really looks well done. Are those the kit cowlings and exhausts? I'm pretty sure with the latest order of the True Details props, I've bought every AM correcting part for the kit. Just seams strange that the kit got overall such good reviews, yet there was so much wrong with it.

Joel

Thanks Joel! I am using True Details props but that is the only AM details I am using. I am pretty much a slacker when it comes to kit corrections. If it looks remotely close to the subject matter, then I leave it at that. I generally limit myself to one or two AM add-ons per build, if that. I did get burned on the True Details props because a couple of the blades are warped so I will have to fix that. As far as concerns about the shape, these kits tend to be as imperfect as us builders so I tend to drive through it and move on. However, I am crossing my fingers the kit decals are functional. I have spare roundels but I need the fuselage codes and cartoon figure to work! Definitely looking forward to more progress photos on yours. Interior really looks sharp.

Best wishes,

Ian

SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:03 AM UTC
Joel....just a heads up before you get the plane together; the seam where the upper nacelle meets the lower nacelle is not a natural panel line so that has to be filled. I found out the hard way after I mated the wings to the fuselage. Sanding the outer nacelle seam was easy but sanding the inner seam while the wing is attached to the fuselage is a bear because there's not alot of maneuvering room between the nose and the nacelle.

Best wishes,

Ian
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel! You're pushing your limits with this one ! Nice detailing!

Regards

Magnus

Magnus,
Thanks for stopping by and having a look. Yeah, I'm pushing myself to up my game to see if I can correct the major kit issues and add a little something extra for effect.

Just started the Bomb bay detailing/enhancing. The detail is on the soft side, so I'm trying to enhance it rather then cut,grind,and completely redue it.

Joel
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:06 PM UTC
Great job with your corrected and very nicely detailed cockpit, Joel.
Its also good that the navigators place is somewhat visible.
Well done so far !
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 03:42 PM UTC
Joel, great progress on your cockpit. That really looks busy enough.

Ian, wonderfull Ventura! I also want an RAF Ventura! Now!

Torsten

PS: Revell don't sell the RAF version of the Ventura over here, that's why
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 08:40 PM UTC
Hi Joel

Really nice progress.

I must admit Ian's shot of the RAF Ventura caught me off guard too. I've waited so long to see it on the shelves in the LHS, I'd almost forgotten about it. Bizarre marketing by Revell not to release it in the UK yet...

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job with your corrected and very nicely detailed cockpit, Joel.
Its also good that the navigators place is somewhat visible.
Well done so far !

Bernd,
Thanks my friend. Thought that just a glimpse of the Nav./Radio compartment would add some extra interest to the cockpit area of the build.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, great progress on your cockpit. That really looks busy enough.

Ian, wonderfull Ventura! I also want an RAF Ventura! Now!

Torsten

PS: Revell don't sell the RAF version of the Ventura over here, that's why

Torsten,
Thanks. That's been my focus on this build, busy over driving myself nuts trying to duplicate everything possible. I'm just not that good of a modeler to do that.
Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

Really nice progress.

I must admit Ian's shot of the RAF Ventura caught me off guard too. I've waited so long to see it on the shelves in the LHS, I'd almost forgotten about it. Bizarre marketing by Revell not to release it in the UK yet...

All the best

Rowan

I guess these RAF Venturas are a real unicorn. I was talking with one of my modeling friends in Australia and they don't have them down there either. Sorry to hear that because I figured they would be a sought after version.

Best wishes,

Ian
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

Really nice progress.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
Thanks for stopping by and appreciating my efforts in the forward fuselage.

Strange that Revell hasn't released the RAF version in Europe as yet. My LHS has a few of them that no one seams interested in, but the USN versions are long gone.
Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:28 PM UTC
Joel, are you still planning to do this plane in RCAF markings?

Regards,

Ian