World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Glad to see this one underway, but this is the first I heard of that cockpit bulkhead inaccuracy. I wonder how many OTHER surprises the kit has.

Hey Brian,
Thanks for stopping by. Your B-17F build just got my modeling mojo flowing to see if I could actually do some scratch building, and some serious kit enhancing. So this build is dedicated to you my friend No way will it ever approach the level you're building at. It's not intended to be in that class. But since the PV-1 is another one of those aircraft that have grabbed my attention, I thought I'd go a little further with this build then I usually do.

As far as the cockpit bulkhead goes, it's a real crap shoot. Some builds have them opened up, and some don't. Shamefully, I opted for the opening it up so that I could add the basics of the Radio/Navigator compartment.

The Radio/Navigator compartment is just there for added interest, and will have just enough detail to fools ones eye. I can't see going further then that as no one will ever see those added details. Past that rear bulkhead is just a void of emptiness.

There are all sorts of issues with this kit. The wrong shaped nose as Michael has pointed out. The engine
crankcases are too short, the cowls are to short and shaped incorrectly because of that, the props blades are wrong, and a few other things. Everything can and is going to be corrected with AM parts. Rather then just crankcases, I went with two new engines that will be detailed

Joel

Thanks as always for the "props" (as the kids say) Joel.

At least there are many aftermarket sets for this ones. Is there a comprehensive review that points out everything wrong? It does seem to be a kit that has attracted a huge AM cottage industry.

You have been admirably prolific of late. I am very impressed by both volume and quality of your output!
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:05 PM UTC
Hi Joel!
Check out this build blog: LINK

The guy who builds this kit makes an outstanding improvement of the Revell product. I think it may be quite usefull for your purpose.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Glad to see this one underway, but this is the first I heard of that cockpit bulkhead inaccuracy. I wonder how many OTHER surprises the kit has.

Hey Brian,
Thanks for stopping by. Your B-17F build just got my modeling mojo flowing to see if I could actually do some scratch building, and some serious kit enhancing. So this build is dedicated to you my friend No way will it ever approach the level you're building at. It's not intended to be in that class. But since the PV-1 is another one of those aircraft that have grabbed my attention, I thought I'd go a little further with this build then I usually do.

As far as the cockpit bulkhead goes, it's a real crap shoot. Some builds have them opened up, and some don't. Shamefully, I opted for the opening it up so that I could add the basics of the Radio/Navigator compartment.

The Radio/Navigator compartment is just there for added interest, and will have just enough detail to fools ones eye. I can't see going further then that as no one will ever see those added details. Past that rear bulkhead is just a void of emptiness.

There are all sorts of issues with this kit. The wrong shaped nose as Michael has pointed out. The engine
crankcases are too short, the cowls are to short and shaped incorrectly because of that, the props blades are wrong, and a few other things. Everything can and is going to be corrected with AM parts. Rather then just crankcases, I went with two new engines that will be detailed

Joel

Thanks as always for the "props" (as the kids say) Joel.

At least there are many aftermarket sets for this ones. Is there a comprehensive review that points out everything wrong? It does seem to be a kit that has attracted a huge AM cottage industry.

You have been admirably prolific of late. I am very impressed by both volume and quality of your output!

Brian,
Unfortunately, no there isn't a definitive review, with all the proper ad ons. What I usually do, as in this case is Google reviews, builds, AM parts, and related online articles. I read all of them, but only keep the links to ones that makes sense, and to some degree correlate to other reviews/builds. Any and all photos, references, and links, I checkout and keep the relative ones.

The cockpit bulkhead opening is one of those so so, could be with numerous modifications. Like I said, I used the increased opening even though I used the smallest enlargement that I found, to allow better visual access to the Radio/Navigator compartment.

While I'm going to be detailing the cockpit with the Eduard cockpit set for the IP and a few other tidpits, my main focus will be as a display model resting on a mirror.

As for your 'You have been admirably prolific of late. I am very impressed by both volume and quality of your output!" 1st, thanks for the being impressed with both my volumne of work, and it's relative quality. Coming from you, it always means quite a lot to me. The answer lies in 1st my semi retirement from work. I now only work 4 days per week. The 2nd major change is that with a restructuring at CVS, since I'm a co-manager of a large 24 hr store, I work 3 of those shifts from 10pm till 6:30am. And as my wife is so fond of saying, it's like having me home 6 days per week. I only average 3 hrs of sleep after those overnights, so I have plenty of time to model.

Yeah, I have my still ever growing Honey to do List, and next week I have to paint the master bedroom ( no mean feat as it has a 10 ft rolled ceiling for starters. I haven't mowed a lawn in 27 years since my heart attacks, so there is a small positive side from having one. Of course the main trick is surviving the Big One, which I did because my neighbor is the Fire Chief. Still it was 6 weeks in the hospital with the 1st 2 wks just fighting to stay alive.

These days I don't much fish anymore, nor hack my way around a golf course, so I have even more time. Right now my mojo levels are sky high, but who knows when that will change once again.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel!
Check out this build blog: LINK

The guy who builds this kit makes an outstanding improvement of the Revell product. I think it may be quite usefull for your purpose.

Michael,
I can't thank you enough for that link to the most comprehensive build yet I've seen. It answered a ton of my questions, yet raised a good deal more for me to address down the road.

Many of his techniques are amazing, seam simple, yet they're anything but that.

My 1st time through, I've just looked at all the pictures, now I need to go back and using a online translator, try to get a much better understanding of his techniques.

Joel
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 11:22 PM UTC
Joel, I'm very glad I could help. If you will have any problems with understanding the author (or more probably an online translation) just drop me a line.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:36 AM UTC
Michal, thanks for the link it was great to look through now to watch Joel work his magic and incorporate some of that work into his build.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:43 AM UTC
Looks like you have a great project on the way, Joel. Your scratch building looks very convincing.
Happy Modelling with this one !
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 08:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like you have a great project on the way, Joel. Your scratch building looks very convincing.
Happy Modelling with this one !

Brend,
Glad you like my scratch building efforts. Believe me, this is way out of my usual comfort range, but I'm really enjoying it. At least so far I am.

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.... but I'm really enjoying it. At least so far I am.

Joel

Which is all that counts in our great hobby, Joel. Good to see you working on another great plane. You will enjoy the fantastic fitting of this kit, which I have build in 2012 but without all the AM parts. With around 400 unbuild kits in my stash I don't have the time (and will) to go so deep into detailing and correcting. If I remember correctly, it took me 5 weeks to build my Ventura. And I have another one in my stash ....

Torsten
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... but I'm really enjoying it. At least so far I am.

Joel

Which is all that counts in our great hobby, Joel. Good to see you working on another great plane. You will enjoy the fantastic fitting of this kit, which I have build in 2012 but without all the AM parts. With around 400 unbuild kits in my stash I don't have the time (and will) to go so deep into detailing and correcting. If I remember correctly, it took me 5 weeks to build my Ventura. And I have another one in my stash ....

Torsten

Torsten,
Thanks for the information. Knowing that the overall fit is excellent, is one less thing I will have to be concerned about.

Most of my builds are basically OOB, with a little enhancing here and there. The PV-1 Ventura is a whole different type of build for me. And after what I've spent on AM parts, just the thought of screwing up the kit, or loosing my "Mojo" is something I just don't want to think about.

That's one large stash you've got there. Mine is only 12 kits not counting the PV-1.

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, no there isn't a definitive review, with all the proper ad ons.

...yet. Once you're finished here....
==)
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, no there isn't a definitive review, with all the proper ad ons.

...yet. Once you're finished here....
==)

Jessica,
Thanks so much for those kinds words, but I highly doubt my build will come close to being a definitive review.

Joel
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:38 AM UTC

Here are some more issues, some of which might be improveable..:

Gaston
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:39 AM UTC
Looks like the local stationery store has received fresh stocks of coloured pens.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 07:48 PM UTC
Cool build of a neat bird. I saw one fly when I was younger. It was the first tri-colour plane I saw in person.

Loving it.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:15 PM UTC
Joel, watching this one closely! Looks great so far. I have an RAF Ventura underway myself.

Best wishes,

Ian
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hey Joel.....did you have wing warpage on yours? The right wing on mine was warped from the tip to the nacelle. I fixed it with a vise and hair dryer but you may want to give it a look when you get to that phase.

Happy modeling!!!!

Ian
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Great start. It makes such a difference adding some detail to that empty interior.

I'll definitely be following your build from the sidelines, because I love this kit, for all its little flaws - it's just such great modelling value for money. I picked up a second one for only £10 from a high street discount chain a little while ago.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here are some more issues, some of which might be improveable..:

Gaston

Gaston,
Thanks for that information. There isn't anything that I can or would do to correct the cockpit glass, as that kind modeling is way above what I could do. As for the with of the nose, I just ordered the DMold lower chin to correct the incorrect shape. Of course now I have to wait until the parts arrive from Russia. Word is out that there the customs is slowing down all packages from Russia for some reason.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, watching this one closely! Looks great so far. I have an RAF Ventura underway myself.

.....did you have wing warpage on yours? The right wing on mine was warped from the tip to the nacelle. I fixed it with a vise and hair dryer but you may want to give it a look when you get to that phase.

Happy modeling!!!!
Ian

Ian,
I just checked all four wing panels and they're fine. Sorry to hear that you're having that issue. I did have the same thing to deal with on my F2a-3 Buffalo, so I know what a paint it can be to fix it. Sounds like your fixed worked just fine.

As for your RAF build, the nose is completely different. Would make for an interesting comparison of the two variants. Are you going to post any work in progress pics?

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool build of a neat bird. I saw one fly when I was younger. It was the first tri-colour plane I saw in person.

Loving it.

Matt,
Thanks for stopping by and having a look. Glad you like what you saw.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

Great start. It makes such a difference adding some detail to that empty interior.

I'll definitely be following your build from the sidelines, because I love this kit, for all its little flaws - it's just such great modelling value for money. I picked up a second one for only £10 from a high street discount chain a little while ago.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
So glad you can make the party, even it's mostly from the side lines.

There is just so much more that one can do with the interior, but unfortunately, most of it can't be seen once the fuselage halves are glued up. I could open the door for a better access view of the interior, but I'm really itching to get to the exterior. Now see what you've done. You've got me thinking about more detail work.

Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.....did you have wing warpage on yours? The right wing on mine was warped from the tip to the nacelle. I fixed it with a vise and hair dryer but you may want to give it a look when you get to that phase.

Happy modeling!!!!
Ian

Ian,
I just checked all four wing panels and they're fine. Sorry to hear that you're having that issue. I did have the same thing to deal with on my F2a-3 Buffalo, so I know what a paint it can be to fix it. Sounds like your fixed worked just fine.

As for your RAF build, the nose is completely different. Would make for an interesting comparison of the two variants. Are you going to post any work in progress pics?

Joel

Hey Joel. No plans for a build blog on my Ventura at this point.
I may do an article once it's done. I will be doing a 464 Sdn. bird which was an Australian Squadron based in England. The kit is nice. The new nose and round top turret are provided as well as Eduard masks for all that glass. I did get a set of True Details props for it and they are really nice!

Best wishes,

Ian
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Happy modeling!!!!
Ian

Ian,

Joel

Hey Joel. No plans for a build blog on my Ventura at this point.
I may do an article once it's done. I will be doing a 464 Sdn. bird which was an Australian Squadron based in England. The kit is nice. The new nose and round top turret are provided as well as Eduard masks for all that glass. I did get a set of True Details props for it and they are really nice!

Best wishes,

Ian

Ian,
I'll be looking forward to your article. didn't buy the Eduard masks till I took a close look at all the glass, then I put together another order from Sprue Brothers ASAP. I still need to order the resin props. Thinking of going with the True Scale ones and getting those crankcases that I'll save for another few builds.
Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 06:37 AM UTC
Joel, one thing is for sure....the Ventura is a beautiful airplane. It has lines like no other twin.

Regards,

Ian