Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Aluminium Campaign
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:44 AM UTC
Wow! Very nice aluminium finish, David! It looks like real metal without being too shiny.

Looking forward to see more
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hey guys

Quoted Text

Ps. Looks like our campaign leader is still AWOL. Anyone up for it? Please!!! We need someone to gather the troops and carry this campaign on the final stretch!

Cheers // PolarBear

I have a little time up my proverbial sleeve at the moment, so I can put some effort in here. What do I need to do ??

Cheers, D
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC
@ Damian: Great call!

What do you need to do? Pretty much the same thing that you are currently doing over at the Boom Boom campaign, I suppose! Contact the campaign manager and explain the situation. We need a campaign ribbon to look forward to (perhaps something in aluminum colour?). We probably need a roll call in order to draw the attention of those that have enlisted but not yet started. Perhaps a slight extension of the campaign period, in order to allow those who might join late to finish in time? God Speed!

@ David: That is a very impressive build that you are working on. Which colours do you use?

Cheers! // PolarBear
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
G'day all. I have sent a courtesy PM to Nito74 (John) to check that he is OK with me putting some effort in here, and I've also sent a PM to CRS (Chuck) to check the protocol here. I have no intention of officially taking over as Campaign Leader, but I think there is just too much potential here for this Campaign to fizzle out, and I know you guys agree. I will keep you informed on the replies, but in the interim I have gone back over the thread and completed a Roll Call (which will be kept updated) . . .

05Sultan (Rick) 1/32 Academy Nieuport 17
alpha_tango (Steffen) 1/48 Rest Models Heinkel 112V6 (FINISHED)
amegan (Andrew) 1/144 Revell Constellation (FINISHED)
atoplu (Ayhan) 1/72 Academy F-84G (FINISHED)
AussieReg (Damian) 1/48 Tamiya F-84G (FINISHED)
Automaton 1/48 MPM P-63 Kingcobra
backstop13
Blueheeler (Nick) 1/72 Academy P-51D (FINISHED)
cinzano (Fred) 1/48 Monogram AT-6 Texan
eMan (Lap) YB-49 Flying Wing
EmperoR (Metodi)
hkopper Withdrawn for personal reasons (Time with newborn > Modelling, and I agree)
jaypee (John-Paul) Shorts SC-1
JMartine (James) 1/48 Testors P-51 In-flight display
JollyRoger Confirmed as IN but TOP SECRET at this stage !!
Lakota (Don) 1/72 Kopro Convair XFY-1 Pogo (I really wanna see that one)
Littorio Withdrawn for personal reasons
MikeMx (Michael) Airfix Dassault Super Mystere
Moeggo (David) 1/32 Hasegawa Ki-44 (Absolutely STUNNING and FINISHED !!)
MSchwartzmann
Murdo 1/48 Revell C-47 Skytrain RAF Scheme
NickZour (Nick) 1/72 MPM Gloster Meteor plus resin and PE goodies
Nito74 (John)
PascalPati (Ulas)
Phantom2 (Stefan) 1/48 Tamiya F-84G Thunderjet
Philippus (Philip) 1/48 Revell P-47N
PolarBear (Bjorn) 1/48 Eduard Mirage 111 (another stunning build going on !!)
RotorHead67 1/48 Monogram F-84G plus Aires and True Details goodies
Ruffus 1/48 Tamiya F-84G
SGTJKJ (Jesper) 1/72 Matchbox B-17 (Old 3-colour kit, Nostalgia coming on !)
Siderius (Russell) 1/72 Hasegawa Ki44 SHoki (FINISHED)
SimonH (Simon) 1/72 Airfix Gloster Gladiator
skyhawk
spongya (Andras)
TacFireGuru (Mike) Hasegawa P-47 Eggplane
Tallguy
Tedmamere 1/48 Czech Models Cessna UC-78 (FINISHED)
Tobar (Thomas) 1/48 Tamiya P-47D Bubbletop
vanize (Vance) 1/48 Tamiya P-51D (with True Details and Aires goodies)
ViperAtl (Joe) 1/72 Hasegawa B-26 Marauder (and yet another stunning build going on !!)
VonCuda (Hermon) 1/48 Tamiya F-84G (FINISHED)
warreni
werx07 (Jason)
Wolfsangel

The following showed interest but failed to enlist

Tomcat31 (Allen) P-47 (Responded to PM, unable to participate due to other commitments)
Grenadier37 Confirmed entry with an F-84

Cheers guys, stay tuned.

Damian
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:19 PM UTC
Well that was quick, and NOT EXACTLY as intended. Chuck put me in the pilots seat as Campaign Leader and said it would be a good idea to contact all of the guys enlisted or interested. I will get onto that today, but I think we need to come up with a realistic time frame for the requested extension. Currently the Campaign finishes on January 31, I thought maybe the end of April would give enough time to get people started up and hopefully completed.

Thoughts, comments, advice please !!

Cheers, D
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi Damian, the end of april sounds good to me.

Byron
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:45 PM UTC
Thanks Byron, are you still going with the F-84G? If so, how is it progressing ?

I would really love to see some pics to go with Hermons and mine.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:03 PM UTC
Nice choice for a new campaign leader! Thanks for stepping up Damian, and I agree with the extension even though my entry is done. I too think there is too much potential here to just let it fizzle out.

Moeggo (David), I've seen some really great entries in this campaign but the metal finish you've done on yours is absolutely beautiful. I personally would like to see a feature done on this one.

Really nice entries everyone! PolarBear, I'm still impressed with your 1/72 work. Quite possibly some of the best anywhere.

Again, thanks for taking the job Damian.

Hermon
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:56 PM UTC
Wow! A busy day for sure... :wacko: Got the Hinomaru's painted on and the unit markings Landing gears are glued on... The Hinomaru's and unit markings are supplied on the decal sheet, but I used masks made from Revell Airbrushing film/Fiskit Film.. Whatever you want to call it. But there are a few things still to be done to make my New Years Deadline... I still need to paint and glue on all the landing gear covers/panels, paint and attach Flaps... A few small touch ups and apply the B-29 kill markers. Oh!! don't forget the panel wash and weathering! I don't think I'm going to make my New Years deadline... But hey, I am going to be damn close to it

Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:04 PM UTC
@ Jesper - Thanks alot... I really love these paints with the effect that you can get out of the bottle, I haven't tried to polish it yet...

@ Bjorn - The colours that I use are from the Mr Hobby Super Metallic range

@ Hermon - Cheers! a Feature... I see what I can do once I have finished it.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hey Dave

Quoted Text

Wow! A busy day for sure... :wacko: Got the Hinomaru's painted on and the unit markings Landing gears are glued on... The Hinomaru's and unit markings are supplied on the decal sheet, but I used masks made from Revell Airbrushing film/Fiskit Film.. Whatever you want to call it. But there are a few things still to be done to make my New Years Deadline... I still need to paint and glue on all the landing gear covers/panels, paint and attach Flaps... A few small touch ups and apply the B-29 kill markers. Oh!! don't forget the panel wash and weathering! I don't think I'm going to make my New Years deadline... But hey, I am going to be damn close to it

Check a couple of posts back. I've taken over as Campaign Leader as John (Nito74) has been AWOL since early September. I have had the official end date pushed back to April 30, so please don't rush any of your finishing touches, it's just TOO GOOD to stuff anything with a silly mistake !!

And Hermon is absolutely correct, this just has to be put forward as a feature build.

Cheers, D
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Dave

Check a couple of posts back. I've taken over as Campaign Leader as John (Nito74) has been AWOL since early September. I have had the official end date pushed back to April 30, so please don't rush any of your finishing touches, it's just TOO GOOD to stuff anything with a silly mistake !!

And Hermon is absolutely correct, this just has to be put forward as a feature build.

Cheers, D

No worries at all. The date sounds good, but I have a Tamiya Spitfire and a Wingnut Wings SE.5a that need to be completed very soon!

Put it forward to who ever you need to get a OK for the Feature and I will see what I can do.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC
Ok guys, here's an update on where we are at with this campaign . .

I am now officially leader, until John (Nito74) returns to us
The end date for builds is now April 30, 2010
Roll Call is posted and will be updated as I get any new info
We have a Campaign Gallery if you wish to post your finished builds there, but I won't insist on that, you can just post them in this thread if you prefer
I have sent a PM, outlining the current state of play, to all the enlisted parties who have yet to post any progress, but a few have not been logged in since early 2009 so our final numbers might be lower than I hoped
I have sent a PM, outlining the current state of play, to all interested parties who are not currently enlisted but have showed interest in participating

And we have 2 new rules . .
1. I absolutely insist that you all have FUN with your builds, and
2. Each and every one of you owe me a cold beer.

Cheers, D
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And we have 2 new rules . .
1. I absolutely insist that you all have FUN with your builds, and
2. Each and every one of you owe me a cold beer.

Cheers, D

Haha!

Hail, Great New - albeit Potentially Interim - Leader!
May all your decisions be wise and may the campign entries be as plentiful (and shiny!) as the stars in the sky!

I will definitely obide by the new rules, no matter how harsh they might seem. I would love to send you a beer for accepting the challenge, but I don't know if it will stay cold during the long flight. Tonight, the temperature my southern(!) part of Sweden is expected to reach below -15 degrees C (approx 5 degrees F), so I might just leave it on the balcony before mailing it!?

The worst thing about Australia is that you probably have something like 28 degrees C at the moment! Apart from that, it seems like a mighty fine nation. Unlike you know who...*

And don't forget the ribbon! - The illustrious token of completion that we all strive for and that makes our days in the model building quarries go a tad faster…
Perhaps something simple and straight to the point?

Cheers, and a Happy New Year to you all!!!! // PolarBear

* Just kidding, of course!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:10 AM UTC
Bjorn, we get 30 deg C in Winter, its low to mid 40's, that's why I need BEER, COLD BEER.

And yes, I remembered the ribbon. Yours looks like a great suggestion, simple and effective. Can we get a concensus from the other guys? And is it possible for you to redo it as a 50x20 .gif file?

Cheers, and thanks for your help.

Damian
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC
The ribbon is fine but would some panel lines enhance it? Just a thought caused by hot coffee.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi all,

There are some great entries here!

If anyone wants to see his work featured on the website, don't hesitate to contact me...

Hmmm, let's see if I can't find something suitable for the Aluminium party.

Jean-Luc
Tango-India-Mike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 04:59 AM UTC
Wacko indeed! That's pretty spectacular...perhaps even spectacularly pretty!

I'll be checking in a bit more often now just to see how you get on with weathering it into a hard-working fighting machine. So far, though, well done mate...it's brilliant (and I'm not just talking about the shine)!

All the best,

Tim.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC
David, your Shoki looks absolutely incredible! What wonderful workmanship. I build 1/72 scale and have the Hasegawa model of this aircraft. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours. Russell
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC
How about PolarBears background with something like this?

Yeah, my paint.net skills are way underdeveloped but it's just an idea.

Hermon
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
Cool to see someone took over for this campaign!

i'm definitely still in, esp given the new end date.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
Thanks for sticking with it guys, we have a few confirmations since my last post, and a new participant Tedmamere. Thanks for joining us Jean-Luc, let us know what you will be building so that I can complete the Roll Call.

And Vance, what goodies have you got in store for us?

Hermon, cool looking ribbon, but check the spelling you missed an "I" after the "N".

Cheers, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
Damian, Great that you are taking the initiative to run this campaign. Very nice ribbon for this campaign.

I could actually use some extra time, so the extension is great. I am considering entering an Old Matchbox B-17 in 1/72 instead of the Me 1101. Anyway, I will definitely do something for the campaign.

More to follow.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:52 AM UTC
I don't have access to any fancy computer programs, so I tried the ol' "Paint"!

Here's my original thought:
A)

I couldn't get all of "Aluminium" (not even "Aluminum") to show in this tiny scale, especially not after converting to .gif, so I tried the periodical scale (and added a few rivets while at it):
B)

In my opinion, it became a little crowded. I took away the text and adjusted the rivets a little:
C)

Personally, I still like A) the most (with C) as close second). Now, I leave it up to the experts to accept, reject and/or make it look more professional!

Cheers // PolarBear

@ Jesper et al: Yes! Bring on the BIG ones!!! This campaign deserves more big metal bombers (B-17, B-29 etc). Just look at Joe's Marauder!!!

And where is the ulitmate bling-bling, arguably the shiniest of them all, the F-104 Starfighter??? Isn't anyone going to build that?!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
Damian, I'm in America. It's aluminum.

Hermon