Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Aluminium Campaign
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:31 PM UTC
Hi David,

Is this the 1/32 Hasegawa or a different scale?

Beauty none the less!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian, I'm in America. It's aluminum.

Hermon

Hermon, take a look at the campaign page, see where it says Campaign Leader, OMG, there's MY name there...wait...help me...the power is going to my head...ok calming down now.

No probs mate, I'll go with the concensus re:ribbon preference. We still have 4 months to decide.

And Fred, yes David is building the 1/32 Hasegawa kit. I've put Jean-Luc on to it to get a feature done once it's completed.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Damian, I'm in America. It's aluminum.

Hermon

Hermon, take a look at the campaign page, see where it says Campaign Leader, OMG, there's MY name there...wait...help me...the power is going to my head...ok calming down now.

Cheers, D

No problem Damian. Point taken. BTW, since my entry is now a pile of plastic scrap with one wing, a busted canopy, no landing gear, and a cracked spine.......do I still get my ribbon?

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, since my entry is now a pile of plastic scrap with one wing, a busted canopy, no landing gear, and a cracked spine.......do I still get my ribbon?

Hermon

No
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hehe, had you worried. Seriously, of course you do mate. I saw the pics.

And in it's current state it sounds a lot like some of my best builds WITHOUT a glass shelf landing on them

Cheers, D
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi all,

Quoted Text

Thanks for sticking with it guys, we have a few confirmations since my last post, and a new participant Tedmamere. Thanks for joining us Jean-Luc, let us know what you will be building so that I can complete the Roll Call.

I think I will do Cessna UC-78 "Uncle Tom's Cabin" which was a HQ hack aircraft flown by the 361st FG. I will use the Czech Model 1:48 scale kit for the build. The aircraft is all aluminium with yellow engine cowlings and black anti glare panel.

I hope it is elligible for the campaign...

Jean-Luc
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Damian, job done signed up, just keep me away from pe and rigged biplanes and I might finish in time. New Years resolution, finish all campaigns you started, including mine!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:11 PM UTC
Fire it up J-L, it looks great and is certainly elligible. Now we are starting to get some really diverse aircraft after Hermon, Byron and msyelf all started this campaign with identical kits !!

Duly noted in Roll Call.

Cheers, D
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:20 PM UTC
Cheers, cold beer on the way, I like ribbon C (with rivets) and I might change aircraft, I just found a Revell 1/144 scale Connie in the stash, that would make a change
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hi Andrew, thanks for enlisting.

Quoted Text

Cheers, cold beer on the way, I like ribbon C (with rivets) and I might change aircraft, I just found a Revell 1/144 scale Connie in the stash, that would make a change

And thanks for putting up a Civvy kit, more diversity is great. Please don't forget to post progress pics.

Duly noted in Roll Call

Cheers, D
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
I'm going to stick my hand up for Bjorn design "C"
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hi Damian, I think I'm going to join this one. With much trepidation, I'm going to attempt MPM's 1/48 P-63 Kingcobra (the boxing with a French Indochina natural metal scheme). Unfortunately, my choice of subject matter may make it difficult for me to abide by rule number 1, but if I'm ever in Australia, I will buy you a beer (rule number 2). Well, I'm gonna gather up my razor saws, Dremels, bench grinders, etc., wish me luck.

Regards

Automaton
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
Hi all!

I tought I had missed this campaign!

Tonight I noticed we had a new captain and the campaign is still active.

So I´m signing in for duty, and here´s my build;

We have all options in this kit "booked" except "Four Queens", the most colorful of them all, and that´s the bird I will do!

Cheers and a very Happy New Year!

Stefan E
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:10 PM UTC
Automaton, thanks for joining us, and GREAT choice of kit. As I said, diversity is good. Please post progress shots for us, even through gritted teeth and much cursing !!

Stefan, thanks for sticking with us, your build is also duly noted in Roll Call, and we will have a really cool collection of Thunderjets in the gallery soon. Once again, progress shots and notes for us all. I don't know about you guys, but I learn something from EVERY build I follow on Aeroscale.

We now have 31 enlisted plus a couple still interested but yet to enlist. I'm glad that we have been able to pull this one out of the ashes. I would encourage you guys to keep an eye on the Roll Call on page 4 of the thread as I will keep it updated as I get more info.

Cheers and Happy New Year
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
Happy New Year everybody! Glad to see this campaign get more life and get an extension.

I have changed my mind yet again of what to enter for this campaign. Since there is now more time I will go for an oldie but a goodie. The Matchbox B-17. This is probably the first multiengine kit I made in my life, so this will be a nice trip down memory lane as well. That three coloured plastic brings back the memories

More to follow later.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi Jesper, I've noted your change in Roll Call

Quoted Text

That three coloured plastic brings back the memories

Another old Matchbox kit, like your Dornier and my Heinkel in the Seaplanes Campaign. Do you have a stash of these oldies or are you picking them up from somewhere?

Keep us posted on how it goes together.

Cheers, D
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi All, just an initial report on my build (this) . . .

I knew I was opening a can of worms by choosing this kit for a natural metal build, and a quick examination proves this to be the case . . .

It's going to be pretty labor intensive. A general test fitting has revealed some pretty severe fit problems, as is obvious in most of the photos. Also, while repairing the flow lines on the horizontal stabs, I discovered that virtually all of the bottom surface of one of them undulated like the surface of the ocean. It took 4 applications of cyanoacrylate followed up with a sanding stick, and of course, an almost complete rescribing.

Note: I edited this post with individual detail pics, as my initial "collage" approach wasn't working very well.

More when I have it;

Automaton
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 01:07 AM UTC
Automaton, you have a BUNCH of challenges there in front of you, but the end result will be well worth it I'm sure.

Any more votes on the Ribbon for this Campaign? I agree with those put up already for design "C" from Bjorn (Polarbear). Simple but striking.

Cheers and keep those pics coming, Damian.
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any more votes on the Ribbon for this Campaign? I agree with those put up already for design "C" from Bjorn (Polarbear). Simple but striking.

I'm also going to have to say "c".

I hope to get some more done on the P-63 today, but first I have to do a repair to my vehicle (exhaust manifold gasket went bad). Once that's done, I need to drive over to my "local" hobby shop (about 45km from here) to get some paint to mix up some "Bell interior green". Maybe I'll get at least some free time late today for the project.

Regards,

Automaton
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 09:02 AM UTC
I'll go with "C" for the campaign ribbon.

Or a beer can!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 09:58 PM UTC
Interesting choice, Automaton. I had no idea the French used the King Cobra in Vietnam.

Funny to see the "star" sprue - first time I have seen parts laid out like that on the sprue. It looks like this kit is going to fight you all the way to the finish line.

Looking forward to follow your build.
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:59 PM UTC
What a can of worms you have there Automaton, Good Luck!
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 11:00 PM UTC
Well, I am on the home straight now... I just need to do a paint wash, weathering, paint the Nav Lights and add the aerial... Its been a real joy to build, I will be building another one (40mm Cannon version). I don't think I ever would of built one of these kits, if it wasn't my work trip to Japan. The only decal that has been used is the B-29 kill markers.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 12:53 AM UTC
Amazing work Dave, it's been a pleasure to watch your progress on this. I am looking forward to your future builds with much anticipation.

Cheers, D
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 04:46 AM UTC
Dave/Moeggo -- "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!"

Anyway, some more of the Marauder. Getting there and it still looks like the end of January.

And the Photobucket link
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/viperatl/HSGW%20%20B-26%20Marauder/