Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen 2 Campaign
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 03:53 PM UTC
While rummaging through the parts bin I ran across this little guy. I have no idea what kit it is and could only guess at the scale. I remember it came with a display stand consisting of a clear plastic disc for the base and a clear rod to mount the airframe to.

I'm thinking about cleaning it up and giving it a go with the airbrush. I have enough spare 1/76 scale armor decals to kluge together some markings. The tough part will be fabricating a replacement canopy.

Keith
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 10:08 AM UTC
Here is my entry for Hangar Queen 2....one very forlorn EA-6A that had been on my workbench for quite some time. I am going to try to get this one back in the fight.

Regards, Ian

TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 10:52 AM UTC
Spectacular Bi-planes!!

That phantom is great!!

Happy to join the finishers:

Mikoyan Mig-26 FROGMOUTH San Antonio AFB, Cuba 1993

Another look at the "Kuban Krokodile" scheme.

Aggressive pilot

Finished after eight years!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 04:07 AM UTC
Nice job Benjamin. I would like to enter this campaign with an OTAKI 1/48 P-47D that I purchased in the 1970's, opened the box in the late 1980's then started for an earlier Aeroscale campain (cannot remember which one). Maybe I can finish the kit for Hangar Queen 2 . Anyway here is my bonefides.

OTAKI P-47D, 1/48
OTAKI P-47D, 1/48

Oh! The box no longer exists the kit has been residing in a shoebox.

Bob
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 05:16 AM UTC
They come and they go. Welcome Ian and Bob, welcome back again to Keith, and thanks for stopping by Benjamin!

Keith - that little guy looks like a cool side project. Maybe make a wooden canopy male master and heat plastic over it with a hairdryer or something? Or scavenge one from somewhere-- are there aftermarket canopies for 1/144 Me-262's?
Ian - you made me look that up. I was going to say Intruder, but is that considered a Wild Weasel instead because of the electronic warfare package?
Bob - the jug is huge in 1/48! I build 1/72 scale personally, so the barrel-shaped fuselage looks especially large to me.
I assume that what paint we see is for checking the seams.
Benjamin - excellent work on that camo. You must have been busy for quite a while on that! That Fighting Falcon makes a believable Commie jet. What's your secret, black ink pen? I'm totally going to try that sometime-- except I forgot what a big plane you used. That's a lot of real estate!
Allen - that Sabre's cockpit is a thing of beauty. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks all!
-Sean H.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
@ Sean: correct on the paint, but I now have a problem. I cannot find the decals that I had purchased for this build so now to get another sheet.

Bob
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 07:08 AM UTC
I am unable to locate the decals for the P-47, so until or if I cannot find those lost things I will enter one the following if acceptable.

1/48
Spitfire Mk IV, 1848
L-4 Cub, 1/48
P-36A/C, 1/48

These all have their decal/markings and I do not have to spend $ that are not in my wallet.

Bob
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 07:33 AM UTC
Those are all perfectly acceptable. The rules are very loose around here-- we've had some that just needed decals and weathering. Any percent complete is O.K.
Settle in. Stay a while!
-Sean H.
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 10:42 PM UTC
Stealing a page from another builder's play book I 'borrowed' his idea for making AOA sensors.  The genius is in having the rod go across the width of the radome.  A simple idea, but one I had not thought of.  I saw the technique in the detailed build log of a contest entry.  I wish I knew his name in order to give  full credit.  

Using my trusty Dremel tool as a makeshift lathe I chucked a pre-measured length of steel rod (a section of coat hanger) and held a file against it to make the points at both ends, while wearing the appropriate eye protection, of course. 

It may not be perfect, but even this first attempt is better than the little kit knobules. 

Next comes a homemade pitot tube!

Keith
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
@ Keith, I hope you do not mind if I steal your idea it looks pretty good.

I need a little help, I decided to go with the Bf109 which is my first. Can anyone help me out with the main landing gear strut color (Airfix states 121 a light green)the wheel wells are RLM grey (Tamiya XF-63)again the instructions state that the inside of the gear doors are (65 light blue)none of this makes sense especially without my books.

Bob
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 11:06 AM UTC
I'm pretty sure that the whole leg and inside of the door was RLM 02.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 12:51 PM UTC
Hey Sean....... I have seen the EA-6A's called Intruders, Wild Weasels or just plain EA-6A. It is in fact an aircraft designed for Wild Weasel/ Iron Hand SAM suppression missions. Essentially an interim SAM suppressor pending the arrival of the EA-6B Prowlers. I am a big Grumman fan so it will be fun to get this one going again.

Best wishes, Ian

Quoted Text

They come and they go. Welcome Ian and Bob, welcome back again to Keith, and thanks for stopping by Benjamin!

Keith - that little guy looks like a cool side project. Maybe make a wooden canopy male master and heat plastic over it with a hairdryer or something? Or scavenge one from somewhere-- are there aftermarket canopies for 1/144 Me-262's?
Ian - you made me look that up. I was going to say Intruder, but is that considered a Wild Weasel instead because of the electronic warfare package?
Bob - the jug is huge in 1/48! I build 1/72 scale personally, so the barrel-shaped fuselage looks especially large to me.
I assume that what paint we see is for checking the seams.
Benjamin - excellent work on that camo. You must have been busy for quite a while on that! That Fighting Falcon makes a believable Commie jet. What's your secret, black ink pen? I'm totally going to try that sometime-- except I forgot what a big plane you used. That's a lot of real estate!
Allen - that Sabre's cockpit is a thing of beauty. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks all!
-Sean H.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 01:14 PM UTC
I've got an older Focke-Wulf 190D by Academy, which is all painted, except some fiddly parts. I was totally unimpressed with the decals that came with the kit, so I put it aside. I think I might be able to find some 190D decals in my collection to finish out this kit. Is it okay if I join up? I think I've got time to do it. Russell

P.S. I have till the end of December to finish this campaign I believe, that leaves me in the Fighter campaign, (end of October) and the Sukhoi campaign (end of January).
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC
Here is a picture of my entry if allowed, actually two photos. One is a close up shot of the alternate decals from an Italeri FW-190D which I intend to use on the Academy kit. Russell

woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 03:32 PM UTC
A rudimentary pitot tube made out of metal rod on the Dremel 'lathe'. Sort of a rough draft (pun intended).

It could use some refining. Like most things...practice, practice, practice.

@Bob--feel free to use the technique, as I said, it wasn't my idea either.

Keith
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 03:49 PM UTC
@ Keith: I now understand how I can use my dremel to accomplish a few things I was unable in the past, thanks for the visual.

@ Russell: nice to see you again, the Fw will look nice which markings are you going for?

I did a little painting and assembled the prop/spinner then attached the landing gear after some color. Not much else to do but let it dry then clean attach the canopy and paint the scheme.

Bf109, Airfix 1/48

Bob
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 04:07 PM UTC
Hi there Bob, thanks for the welcome. I probably will go with yellow 2. I already have a blue 15, I thought it would go well with the model I already have. Russell

Blue 15 pictured, Yellow 2 will be what I will be finishing
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 12:44 AM UTC
Russell, any unfinished kit is welcome. The more the merrier, as they say. And yes, December gives you plenty of time to show us how you finish that Fw190.
Thanks for coming along!
-Sean H.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 02:12 AM UTC
I am wondering how I go about making the pics smaller as per Jessica's suggestion so that the gallery accepts them. I humbly await an answer so that I can post my pics and get a one up on this computer thing.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am wondering how I go about making the pics smaller as per Jessica's suggestion so that the gallery accepts them. I humbly await an answer so that I can post my pics and get a one up on this computer thing.

do you use any photo editing software like paint.net?

If not download and install it. Once installed open your image click on the tools tab and select resize. Then check that maintain aspect ratio is ticked and enter the pixel size you want, eg 800 wide( maintaining aspect ration should automatically change the height when you click in that box) and click ok the image will resize its self and then you can save at it's new size.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
You can use any graphics program. For example, Paint.net is freeware and widely available. Open the picture, resize it and close it again. I can do these ones for you if you'd like to e-mail them to me.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 11:40 PM UTC
I will try and reformat them, I need to learn. If I totally flub them then I shall come a calling. Thanks for the info and offer.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi!

My Phantom is done:
RAF_F-4_076.jpg

RAF_F-4_084.jpg

RAF_F-4_082

Another Hangar Queen done .
Hope you like it!

@ Keith: That´s a remarkable useful technique for creating AOA indicators! I have to keep that in mind

Regards,

Sebastian
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 08:33 PM UTC
Sebastian, magnificent Phantom you have there, really good work. Russell
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 01:55 AM UTC
@ Sebastian: I agree with Russell, that is a beautiful Phantom thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Bob