Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen 2 Campaign
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 02:18 AM UTC
Sebastian-------------beautiful Phantom. Your camo application is very well done. I have always loved the Rolls-Royce Spey Phantoms!!!

Best wishes, Ian
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 03:59 AM UTC
I first started to use GIMP.2 and could not figure it out to resize it. To save my hair I downloaded paint it and got the photos posted. Thanks. Both are free ware programs.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Bringing this one in from the Matchbox campaign. It's Matchbox's He115 and will be finished in Ilmavoimat markings

Matchbox He-115 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi All
I have missed out on finish date for Armorama 48th scale campaign so now AC becomes a Hanger Queen!
Painting of cowel and decals + details to do.

GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi, to All

Finally I've something to show you...

This was one of my last pics for "Sky's Pirates"

And My advance in a few steps:

The Flaps-Ups, "they" were repositioned and scrah-built some surfaces... My advice, if you can, Buy the Ulstracast items; it's faster...!

Primed on

Aluminium

PreShaded and Panels on "Zinc-Comato" whit salt chipping technique... It's the first time I do this, and i'm not completely satisfied...

I remuve the salt, because it was too heavy; and I will repleace whit more light cristals soon...

I hope so

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
Diego, nice work. Love the Corsair, looking forward to seeing more. Russell
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
Adam, Richard, and Diego, yes, great to see the remnants of the other campaigns come here for a new home! Welcome!
As written on the plaque on the Statue of Liberty, something to the effect of "Give us your tired, your poor, wretched refuse, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." Well, I'm sure you get the idea. This campaign isn't quite that noble, but at least a fun place to share the completion of your aircraft kits with other interested modelers, ha ha.
Okay, probably past my bedtime now.
-Sean.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 10:28 PM UTC
Sean have a good night!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 01:30 PM UTC
@ Diego: your F4U is shaping up pretty good, I really like your painting stand it has given me an idea thanks.

I still have not found the box, instructions, or decals for my Otaki P-47. If anyone could help PM me.

Bob
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hi All,

Sadly I've been attending to many family funerals in the past few months.
I did have this PBY 5a running in the 'Support Aircraft Campaign' but was unable to complete it in time, so I am adding to this campaign in the hope of completing it.

The Green is Humbroll #117 and is a replication of RAAF Foliage Green.

There are no decals on this subject all insignia, serials and codes are painted using the Maketar Paint Masks. I'm awaiting a set of canopy masks from my local before adding the clear parts.

Even though this is the re-issued Revell boxing this particular kit had been warpped and twisted in parts and some interior pieces or assemblies did not fit too well.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 02:05 AM UTC
Rob, our condolences to your family. I hope the hobby helps you some.
Furthermore, nice work on the tricky kit... as usual! Nice work with the stencils too! Is it liberating or scary to go without decals?
-Sean.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 05:54 AM UTC
Sean, Thanks for your condolences and kind words. In regard to the modelling projects, I had to walk away from the desk for a few hours, several times, slowly getting back into the production line again.

Thanks for the comment on the 'Green Cat' I found that using the paint masks gave a better appearance and showed more of the rivet detail, than the decals would have.
I've since used the Maketar Masks on 2 of the Catalina builds, the 'Black Cat' as OX-V and the 'Green cat' will both be completed when the canopy masks arrive from the local.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 06:38 AM UTC
@ Ian, Russell & Bob: thanks for the nice words about my Phantom!

@ Diego: cool looking Corsair! The contents of your spray out container looks very similar to mine at the moment :-))

@ Rob: I agree with Sean. I think our hobby has the great advantage to give some helpful distraction in those times. I experienced the same about 2 years ago. I wish you all the best.

Apart from that: that´s a very nice Catalina. I know that Revell of Germany issued this kit some years ago. But the original kit, does it come from the Revell/Monogram line? In a local hobby shop there is a quarterscale Catalina with Revell-Monogram label. Is tis kit recommendable?

Regards,

Sebastian
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
I'm on a road trip and brought with me a few model making materials and this miniscule plane. Did some sanding to get rid of a thick layer of paint, and to even up the leading and trailing edges and the engine intakes. Like an archeologist I discovered an underlying layer of paint and some decals. Yet I have no recollection of ever having worked on it nor any idea from where it came nor how it ended up in my parts box.

@Diego—that Corsair of yours looks great. I’m really curious about, and looking forward to, seeing what’s next and how it turns out.

@Adam-ditto on your 115. Interesting paint job so far. Watching your and Diego’s work is like watching mysteries unfold. Not sure which direction either of you is going, but am sure the results will be fantastic.

@Richard—there must be a yellow nose on the horizon? Can’t wait for the unveiling (unwrapping of the tape) to see what’s underneath.

@Rob—so sorry for your losses. Trust us, this hobby can be very therapeutic. Very nice work on the masking BTW.

Keith
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 06:38 AM UTC
Ron, sorry for your losses but hopefully some building will take your mind off it. The Catalina is beautiful. I have always loved PBY's in Allied markings and have always thought that was an overlooked subject on the decal market. Great work and that must have been alot of green paint.!!!

Best wishes , Ian

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 07:16 PM UTC
Sebastian, Keith and Ian.

Thanks for your kind words of the losses.

In regard to the PBY, this took a whole tin of Humbrol #117 and a lot of lead to keep it on it's wheels, I agree that allied Cat's have been overlooked by any AM decal producers, I have some refs on RAAF Cat's in strange camouflage and insignia schemes.

2 x Foliage Green overall, {1 of which is my build}, 2 x Intermediate Blue over Black, several overall Black, {1 x having no white in the roundels}, several Black fuselages and under main wing with Dark Sea Grey / Ocean Blue upper. Just to list a few.

I have been writing a book over the past months on basic model building, which gave something to do when not building a model, at present I'm toying with ideas on publishing it as an E-Book.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 04:02 PM UTC
Starting to work on a couple of queens:
Hawk 1/48 P-51D from the Mustang Heaven campaign.

Hasegawa 1/72 F-102A from the Delta Dawn campaign.

Maybe I'll get a nother one done this year...
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 06:53 PM UTC
@ Mark: I remember the delta dawn campaign, would love to see you F-102 finished.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 03:13 AM UTC
Well the Deuce is nearly out of the paint shop. Have to go back and touch up some over spray and maybe a clear lacquer. Then it's on to decals and fiddly bits. The red's not quite right, but it looks more like the photos than International Orange would.

The 'Stang needs a coat of clear and then it looks like I need some OD on the nose and some red on the rudder.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 04:14 AM UTC
I made a little progress by masking the Bf 109 and P-47 to get ready for some paint. I did a little painting and will attach the canopy to the P-36.

Bf 109F, Airfix 1/48
P-47D, Otaki 1/48
P-36A, Hobby Craft 1/48

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hey, Bob, that's the Otaki P-47 right. The Penrod & Sam boxing? I may have the instructions if you need a copy.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, Bob, that's the Otaki P-47 right. The Penrod & Sam boxing? I may have the instructions if you need a copy.

Sure thing Mark, I need to locate some decals for this a/c those that I had are missing. $$ if you have any.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 07:53 AM UTC
I'll have to get out in the shed and go diving for instructions.

Will this help till payday?
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC
Hi All,

While waiting for the masks I have on order from my local Hobby Store to arrive, I did a little on the 'Black Cat' simply by filling one of the original kit weapon mounting holes, with a piece of Evergreen rod. I found 4 Universal mountings {from a Mk I Swordfish Kit}, to fit on the under surface of the wings, adding a little realistic appearance.

I have yet to paint these mounting points.
{I hope these pix are clear enough}
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
@ Mark: nope, a picture of money does me no good I would not know where to put it.

@ Rob: such little acc. Looking good.

Bob