Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Grumman Campaign
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
AeroScale: 100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 04:14 PM UTC
Wings added! Fit was good (but not perfect):

Vacu canopy is too wide and a bit too low (or frame too high):
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 07:21 PM UTC
Marcin,
That canopy looks like a real nightmare especially at the back. Blending that in like it is on the real plane is going to be quite a challenge.
Joel
WARLORD
HISTORICUS FORMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 02:04 PM UTC
I will cut the canopy and pose it open. It should help.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 09:21 PM UTC
I'm thinking the rollover structure is too high. It just doesn't look quite right. But I'm sure opening it will help.

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm thinking the rollover structure is too high. It just doesn't look quite right. But I'm sure opening it will help.

Michael

Looking at the pictures again, it does indeed look like the canopy does hit the roll over bar.
Joel
WARLORD
HISTORICUS FORMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 01:55 PM UTC
I also thought that bar was too high (it wasn't parallel but raised a bit) but after fixing this the bar is still too high. With open canopy it won't be a problem anymore
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 - 02:41 PM UTC
Just started to build my entry, Dragon 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 - 06:53 PM UTC
Lap Man,
Welcome aboard.

The Grumman campaign only runs till the end of Dec, but you should be able to get the 1/72 scale Dragon F4F-3 finished by then.
Joel
Tobar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 03:20 AM UTC
Late very late....
but this Eduard kit looks like a weekend build kit, So I'm entering it along with the 'R-2800' engine set for this kit and also resin tires and maybe the Wolfpack wing fold set if I receive it on time. To my understanding the set goes together nicely and the resin additions are just as easy....
I'll be on a fast past to get this all together in time for the deadline.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Late very late....
but this Eduard kit looks like a weekend build kit, So I'm entering it along with the 'R-2800' engine set for this kit and also resin tires and maybe the Wolfpack wing fold set if I receive it on time. To my understanding the set goes together nicely and the resin additions are just as easy....
I'll be on a fast past to get this all together in time for the deadline.

Thomas,
Welcome to the Grumman Campaign. Will be in your corner pushing you to finish on time. that's a lot of AM parts you're planning, but most are just swaps. I would caution you about the wing fold AM set, as it still requires a good deal of work to look perfect. I would suggest you save it for another build so you don't wind up rushing just to get to the finish line in time.

Also, you'll find it much easier to post pictures using a cloud service like Photobucket or Flickr rather then the galleries. For one thing, everyone has to double click the thumbnail to see a larger picture. Most people tend to click a few, then just view what's there. The other issue is that you have limited free space. Once your gallery is full, I have no idea of how to delete any pictures. I, and others have asked that question, but to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been a viable answer. You could become a paid contributor, and you get a lot more Gallery space. I've been using Photobucket for years without any issues.
Joel
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 09:28 PM UTC
Joel,

Just to let you know, you CAN delete photos from the gallery. You can delete whole albums by just clicking on the "delete" link on your albums page. Deleting individual photos is a little more involved, but can be done.

Click on the picture you want to delete and it will come up with a series of icons. Click on the "edit" icon (it looks like a screen with a stylus in front of it) and it will take you to an edit window. There you can click on a box at the bottom to delete the image, then "submit changes".

I agree that cloud services work fine (I tend to use Photobucket) but I see you've asked this question before so I thought I'd let you know.

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

Just to let you know, you CAN delete photos from the gallery. You can delete whole albums by just clicking on the "delete" link on your albums page. Deleting individual photos is a little more involved, but can be done.

Click on the picture you want to delete and it will come up with a series of icons. Click on the "edit" icon (it looks like a screen with a stylus in front of it) and it will take you to an edit window. There you can click on a box at the bottom to delete the image, then "submit changes".

I agree that cloud services work fine (I tend to use Photobucket) but I see you've asked this question before so I thought I'd let you know.

Michael

Michael,
Thanks for the information. I'm going to try it out now, as I'm running out of space. And yes, I've asked this question a few times. Your the 1st one to have posted the answer. Thank you.
Joel
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 10:48 PM UTC
No problem. Let me know if it works for you!

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No problem. Let me know if it works for you!

Michael

Michael,
Yes it did. I cleaned out all my old armor pictures from years ago
Joel
WARLORD
HISTORICUS FORMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 03:22 PM UTC
Canopy is cut and I will have to fit to fusalage
Thearmorer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hi Folks,
I've got a FM2 conversion going for the Tamiya F4F-4 and have some build shots to submit just for info. I actually started the build some years ago so it won't qualify for the campaign, but there might be a helpful tidbit buried in the work someplace. I've got no real idea how this works so I'll try to upload a picture and see if anything happens. Well, I uploaded something someplace, now all I've got to do is figure out where it went and how to get it in this blog. Any help out there?
Duane
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Folks,
I've got a FM2 conversion going for the Tamiya F4F-4 and have some build shots to submit just for info. I actually started the build some years ago so it won't qualify for the campaign, but there might be a helpful tidbit buried in the work someplace. I've got no real idea how this works so I'll try to upload a picture and see if anything happens. Well, I uploaded something someplace, now all I've got to do is figure out where it went and how to get it in this blog. Any help out there?

Duane

Duane,
Welcome to Aeroscale and the Grumman Campaign.

You would be better off posting your build in the WW11 forum so that non-campaign members would see it.

As for your pictures, there are two options that work here. The most popular and easy one to use is the [IMG] link on a cloud service such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc. or a thumbnail from your gallery here.

The problem with the gallery is that that you need to resize it to a max of 1024x768 before uploading, and each thumbnail needs to be individually clicked on to open it up. Most modelers are like me, and really don't like doing that for more then a picture or two, so the Cloud service is a better option.

There is two ways to download your pictures, the 1st is to copy the [IMG] link then click on the [IMG] tab in the taskbar right below the reply box you type in. Just paste the link and delete the second set of [IMG]s as they will appear on either side of your pictures. The easier way, is just to paste directly the [IMG] link into your post. You don't have to worry about resizing as your pictures were either resized by you before uploading, or by the host cloud service if you didn't to a max of 1024x768.

Looking forward to seeing your conversion.
Joel
Tobar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 01:09 AM UTC
Joel...
Thanks for the advise on using an alternative site to upload pics. I'll do that.
I do have some time off work to invest my time in this build, (I think the Grumman logo would look cool on my profile.)
The after market products seem to require minimal surgery to incorporate, tires, PE, the engine is designed for this aircraft with extra parts included to fit the Hellcat. So I'm hoping for an easy assembly.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel...
Thanks for the advise on using an alternative site to upload pics. I'll do that.
I do have some time off work to invest my time in this build, (I think the Grumman logo would look cool on my profile.)
The after market products seem to require minimal surgery to incorporate, tires, PE, the engine is designed for this aircraft with extra parts included to fit the Hellcat. So I'm hoping for an easy assembly.

Thomas,
Then go for it, and welcome to the Grumman Campaign. Your biggest issue is that it's over 12/31/14. Only you know if you can make the deadline.
Joel
PrickleHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hi all

My completed F6F-5N

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC
Beautiful PH!

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 03:52 AM UTC
PrickleHead,

A really impressive F6F-5N Hellcat night fighter.
Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 04:16 AM UTC
Very nicely finished -5N Pricklehead.

This has been a great thread to browse through over my morning coffee, and the gallery is taking shape nicely, already a variety of builds covering many decades of development.

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers, D
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 05:48 AM UTC
I just took a stroll through the gallery. Frankly, I expected to see more Hellcats. Nice to see the diversity of fine models, even though they are few.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 06:27 AM UTC
Well, there is just a little more then 3 weeks to go, and last count with PrickleHead's F6F-5N Hellcat, there is just 6 finished models. I'm really hoping that the count gets to a min of 11 so the finishing percentage is at least in double digits.

Joel