Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"F-14 Tomcat Campaign" - Official Thread
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 01:44 AM UTC

Wing sweep forward... OK!

Flaps and slats out.... OK!

Gear down... Three green... OK!

Hook Down.... OK!

Got the ball OK....

....And we are down on the deck!

Mission Completed!

Believe It or not, I have the Big cat done!

Well, to be honest, there´s still some tweking and refining to do but I hope I can call It done for the Campaign!
It´s the Captains call now!

Some pics;

I have uploaded some pics in the gallery too!

Thanks for a very fun and well-run Campaign, I had a blast!

Anytime Baby!

Stefan E
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, to be honest, there´s still some tweking and refining to do but I hope I can call It done for the Campaign!
It´s the Captains call now!

I won't say anything about that Stefan, especially considering that my entry still lacks it hook and because of that never would be able to catch a wire! I will attach it tonight however, together with a quite substantial load of missiles!

My 1/72 Tomcat is by far the largest model I have ever finished, your must be a real beast in 1/32 scale!

And I too have had a great campaign, it really helps one to keep motivated!

Regards

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:08 AM UTC
Cool Stefan, at least you've caught the wire this time and not had to bolter I'll add you to the completed column when i get five minutes at work tomorrow.

Rather than drag this out waiting for replies from those that started but haven't posted and finished pictures, I've decided to hand out the ribbons once Wizard179 has finished his tomcat (no pressure Wiz )

Thanks for the comments we've certainly enjoyed running this campaign (and it's our first time ) and glad you've all taken part in this to commemorate an amazing (in my opinion) and venerable aeroplane.
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:27 AM UTC
Thanks

No pressure felt...

Just to provide some comfort here is a pic of my current status...

Cheers
Wiz

wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:31 PM UTC
Okay Ladies and Gentleman

Drum roll please...

Here it is, my long awaited entry into the Bye, Bye Baby! campaign. Only one of the photos came out ok, so I will post more later if anyone is interested.

Thanks everyone for your patience!!!

Between my inexperience and some of the nuances of this kit, it took a bit longer than I expected.

Thanks to the coordinators for running the campaign, especially Tomcat31 and to all those who have shared their bulids.

Cheers
Wiz

Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 07:23 PM UTC
Wiz

to my eye the Long wait has been worth it. A cracking looking model.

Regards

Andy
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

to my eye the Long wait has been worth it. A cracking looking model.

I totally concure with this statement. Deffinately well worth the wait there Wiz. Thanks for the comments and the ribbons have been awarded if I've missed anyone please let me know.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC
Looks great, Wizard! I can only agree with the others - it was worth the wait. In all I think there are a lot of great entries into this campaign.

Thanks for a well run campaign, Allen. It has been great fun to participate and see all the other entries progress.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 08:33 AM UTC
One last post in this thread from me, just to "close the books"!

Since my last post, I have done some more tweaking. Most importantly a hook so that I can catch the wire finally but also a full missile load.

I know it could fly with six Phoenix but I prefer showing off the three different kinds of missiles it could carry: Phoenix, Sparrow and Sidewinder.

Regards

Magnus
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

What a great Campaign! It was my pleasure to be a very small part of the event. I enjoyed seeing all the hard work and final results. Tomcat models are not the easiest to build in my opinion but the end results are wonderful, your all to be commended.
With the Campaign winding down I thought all of you would appreciate a small and subtle gesture observed on a VF-31 Tomcat on Guard duty at Evergreen Aviation Museum near McMinnville, Oregon.

Sincerely,
Brian
jimz66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 07:44 AM UTC
Magnus I really like the way your Kitty turned out. I love that paint scheme. I really enjoy the throwback paintschemes. I think that one from the 1970's looks like they should all look. Great job.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 07:55 AM UTC
Looks great, Magnus! It looks much more "ready for business" now. You should really be proud of that one!

Thanks for the update
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 08:33 AM UTC
Hi Magnus!

Love your bird!

It turned out really great and that scheme is quite striking!

Yes, the F-14 could (and did) fly with six AIM-54´s.
The problem was that It could not land on the carrier again as the load exceeded the safe landing weight by far!

I´ll load mine with four Phoenixes and two ´Winders as I wanted the Phoenixes under the wing pylons.

Anytime Baby!

Cheers!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 07:15 PM UTC
Glad you like it, thanks! (A hint: I have entered it in the MoM September competition. On the other hand: There are certainly other aircraft there worthy of your votes...)

Stefan, youv'e got a point about the Phoenix since the aft two won't be seen. On the other hand, this gave me the opportunity to sort them in quality order so the best one are on the front stations I will NEVER take this kind of photo of my Cat!

Regards

Magnus
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:21 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for the comments. All in all, I am pretty happy with how she turned out. I think the stripes on the decals could be less bright but I can live with it.

I have some stores to go on mine as well. I got caught out by not checking references and started painting the Sidewinders and Sparrows in the old white colour scheme, as recommended in the instructions. When I went online to check something else I noticed that the later model missiles were in a light grey... I didn't have time to correct them before going away for the weekend and thought all of you had suffered enough.

I got lucky last week as well, a small hobby shop in the city was closing down and all stock was 50% off. Picked up the Blacklions Last Cruise version for AUD25 (and the 1/48 air-a-cutie P39 for AUD25). I am going to do this one in the high-vis scheme.

Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hi All!

Just wanted to show some pics of my F-14A, that now are not only done , but also finished!

The cat got It´s claws and all other small details, plus the canopy was detailed and posed open.

Sieze DOES matter!

Anytime Baby!