Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"F-14 Tomcat Campaign" - Official Thread
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
@mstcls - If you have 1/32 markings for the spade then it should be easy to work out the proportions for 1/48.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC
mstcls, I have the remnents of low viz decals for that aircraft in 1/72 and it measures 1.2cm tall x 1.1cm at the widest point. If you scale this up (assuming the decals are the correct size) the real life size would be 86.4cm tall x 79.2cm wide (or 34" x 31 1/4")
So 1/48 scale would be 1.8cm x 1.65cm (11/16" x 10/16"). Hope this helps

P.S. The imperial measurments are only approximates as my metric to imperial conversion is a little rusty
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC
As promised here the build photos of my 1/72nd kit.

The Verlinden cockpit set is in and nearly finished, I just need to do some small touch ups here and there and the seats need some more work doing to them.

As always comments are welcomed

Removed by original poster on 01/26/07 - 11:36:32 (GMT).
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My biggest problem is finding markings for #107’s tail codes. I may try to use a 1/32-scale decal for the spade but it may be too big. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Charles,

Here is my 1/72 Tomcat from VF-41 right after that duel. The decals were from detail and scale and I believe they are the most complete, accurate for what you want. They have an identical set in 1/48 and I think 1/32 as well. There are enough markings to do any Tomcat before and after the fight. All are out of production but can be found regularly on E-Bay.

Oh something else, the missile load out on that day was 2-2-2 combination. Two Phoenix, two Sparrows and two Sidewinders.

Sincerely,
Brian

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:04 PM UTC
This weekend I am home in Denmark from Latvia. In Denmark the selection of kits were almost too much. Very difficult to choose

I ended up with The Hasegawa F-14A with super cool decals! Those wolfpack decals just "took my breath away" (Sorry for the Tomgun movie analogy - I could not help it :-) :-) ) So no Iranian F-14 this time.

mstcls
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 09:31 PM UTC
Thanks Allen & wizard179 for your help on the markings for VF-41 #107. I also found a Superscale set #48-118 that is also out of production. Nonetheless your input is greatly appreciated. I am still amazed that people from three different continents can share information on a subject with such ease. Thanks again guys!

The True Details cockpit and Eduard PE sets arrived in the mail this week, so construction should begin soon. I still have a project on the workbench that I want to complete first.

The True Details cockpit #TD48480 is definitely for the Revell F-14A I had had some doubts. The set consist of eight castings. Included are the pilot/RIO’s Instrument panels and cockpit tubs, nose wheel well top, two GU-7A seats and the RIO’s seat shield. A single sheet of instructions with basic painting guide and Federal Standard numbers are also included.

The only real issue is the RIO’s instrument panel, which has a small sinkhole in, and an air bubble above, the Tactical Information Display. The sinkhole should not be too noticeable after painting and installation.

The rivet counters may have some issues with this set due to some simplified details in the castings; it is still an excellent representation of the F-14A cockpit.

The Eduard PE set #48-304 is complete and of outstanding quality. Although the set is for the Revell F-14D it will still work for the A version. The main external differences between the two versions being the chin pod, gun gas purge system vents, wing glove ECM fairings and the engine exhaust nozzles. At this time I have not examined the set in detail to see exactly what will and will not be used.

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 03:24 PM UTC
Hi all,

My entries for this campaign will be built from the Revell kits pictured below. I will not be doing the black bunny as that one is already in my collection.

I will also be using the decals from the Dragon kits pictured below, the kits are really poor so only the decals and the new weapon packs are of any use.

I will if time permitts, also try and do a couple that I have 1/72 scale decals for after I scan and resize those to 1/144.

Ciao, ciao baby
Luciano
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 04:16 PM UTC
@Luciano. Looks great. It will be quite a collection when you are done. Looking forward to see this small airforce forming up
mstcls
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hey everybody

This thread has been quiet for some time now so I thought I would post some WIP photos.

The AICS pistons are a little big I just wanted to add some extra detail to the intakes.

The True Details nose wheel well is a nice casting.

Happy modeling
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC
Some nice work there. it has been quiet lately and i haven't been able to do much to my kits as I was trying to finish some others for our branch stand for ModelKraft 2007 at Milton Keynes. I have managed to get the front fuselage on the 72nd Cat done and I've started the clean up on the black box cockpit for the 48th one I'm doing. I'll get some pics up at the end of the weekend if i get chance to do any more modeling.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 06:41 PM UTC
I picked up the old Revell 1/48 Tomcat A, and some decals at Milton Keynes, so work should start shortly on this.
It will be built OOB, so it will probably be inaccurate for the scheme I will be doing :-) .
The only thing I can comment on the kit so far is, its big :-) .
Andy
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:06 PM UTC
I had a small accident in the model shop today - so much for no more models this month.

I am now the proud owner of a Revell 144 scale Black tomcat, so i thought i ought to enlist in the campaign.

It's very small - but than size isn't important is it :-) :-) :-)

Andy
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 02:20 AM UTC
Work started on two Revell F-14A's 1/144 scale 'Black Tomcats'.
One to be finshed as 'Swordsman' the other as a What if 1970's Royal Navy.

Ciao
Luciano
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had a small accident in the model shop today - so much for no more models this month.

I am now the proud owner of a Revell 144 scale Black tomcat, so i thought i ought to enlist in the campaign.

It's very small - but than size isn't important is it :-) :-) :-)

Andy

Hi Andy and all!

No, sieze isn´t all that important! :-)

While waiting for some "progress-pics" on my big cat, here´s some of my little one.

Yes, this is the Revell 1/144 F-14A Tomcat, dressed in the VF-142 "Ghost Riders" colors.

This is a very good kit with better detail then many 1/72 (and 1/48!) kits!

Do you know that there is a bunch of downsiezed Super Scale decal sheets for this bird, and many more?

If not, take a look here;

http://aaahobby.com/SSD.html

These decal are wonderful, and the price is right!

You´ll get at least three different options on each sheet!
1/144 Decals are so hard to find, so take a look!

I bought almost every sheet as the aviability is limited, I can recommend them without hesitation!

Cheers!

Stefan E
mstcls
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 03:05 AM UTC
Good job Stefan

When you consider that the model is only about 5 ¼” long, that is one fantastic finish on your Tomcat.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:02 PM UTC
Nice work Stefan, as you may have seen I'm building at least 7 of these small Tomcats from Revell, now thanks to your link I will have to get some more. Thanks :-)

I hope mine come out as good as yours.

Ciao
Luciano
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:33 PM UTC
Very good job, Stefan!

I hope my 1/72 Tomcat will this level!.
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:59 AM UTC
Well, I still haven't started my 'Cat yet....Bad Things continue to intrude into my life, the latest being a serious illness of one of my children living with the ex-wife. Doctors should have to pay the patient when they mis-diagnose them

Anyhow, aside from that I'm just about ready to begin construction except now I'm going to have to wait for a cockpit set to arrive. After studying the Academy 'Cat offices I've concluded that I just can't accept it OOB; I don't think the questionable decals provided for the interior will even fit on their prospective parts and/or be presentable in any way, so I'm going to bash in the Eduard color set for the Hasegawa bird (basically doing a complete cockpit replacement) and using T.D. GRU-7 seats. So as soon as the etch set arrives, THEN I'll begin grinding away on her....and yes, I'm still doing it in the Ferris scheme, though I will be hanging ordnance on her even though I doubt the test birds carried any (a 'Cat without claws is a.......I'll leave that bit out :-) )
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 03:04 PM UTC
Sorry to hear the bad news Nice to hear your still interested in the campaign though, if you could "officially" sign up Here and I'll add you back onto my own list of participants.
mstcls
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hey All

Here are some WIP pictures. I have the airframe closed up and all the seams filled. About an hour after these were taken I primed the model and found I have a little more sanding to do.

I love the working variable geometry wing helps save space on the shelf.

This model will be a F-14A formVF-142. I had wanted to do a VF-84 aircraft but finding markings has proven to be a pain and after seeing Stefan Ericsson fabulous 1/144 I changed my mind.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:51 PM UTC
Looks good Charles. That is going to be one big a** beast!

Looking forward to see the build progress.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 02:51 PM UTC
Looking good, unfortunately my build is on hold, as brought the kit home from cadets (which is where i seem to do most of my modeling just lately) and left the white primer and gloss white there, so i can't paint the undercarriage bays and intakes until i can get the paint. with a bit of luck i can get some more done at the weekend.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 02:54 PM UTC
It's looking good. Now Ive finished my Vietnam campaign and nearly finished my Achtung Jabo campaign (for armorama) I hope to make more progress with my Tomcat as currently I only have the base colours on the cockpit.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 06:37 PM UTC
I've managed to struggle with getting the sprues out of the box and washed, but no more activity as yet - been waylaid with a couple of Painting sessions, trying to finish the amount of in progress builds.

Andy