Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"F-14 Tomcat Campaign" - Official Thread
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
Nicely done Andy I've added you to the completed list.

My Tomcat has stalled at the finishing stages as I've realised that my Skyraider won't be ready for the Vietnam campaign at the end of the month so everything has gone on the back burner (including a couple of commissions I've just received) until the end of the month
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi
Some good looking F-14's on show here so far.

Would it be to late to take part as theres still a couple of months to go, i have just got the bug to to some aircraft again after about 30 yrs, i have enlisted in the Falklands campaign but this one starts beginning of August so looking to fill the gap.

Ive got my eyes on a fujimi Iran air force version so would contrast all the US navy machines and could have been potential adversaries for the past 25yrs in the gulf.

I'd like to give it a go but no problems if its to late.
Cheers
Peter
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:04 AM UTC
so long as yo've finished by the end of the campaign, i don't think it matters when you join up - the more the merrier.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:08 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Somtec, Your more than welcome to join our merry bunch, I know that Sam (Camogirl) is doing the Fujimi Iranian Tomcat so at least we can shoot two of you down

Don't worry about time, I'm willing to be flexible (one or two weeks) for people to finish up after the problem of the campaign sign up not working at the beginning of the year.
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hi
Thanks, will be getting back home from vacation in a couple of days, hopefully the Tomcat should have got there before me.
cheers
peter
trahe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:45 PM UTC
Some really great work by all in this campaign on one of my favorite planes. Thanks to all for your hard work!
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi
Got back from holiday yesterday and my Fujimi Tomcat was waiting to be picked up today. Its the Iranian F14a Ali-Cat version

I dont have much reference on this or any other tomcats for that matter but whats in the box looks good to me so thats how i intend to build it, maybe i'll expose the refuelling probe as i read somewhere that thats how the Iranians used theirs.

Looking forward to getting started over the weekend, the finishing time will be tight but iam going to give it a good go.

cheers
peter
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC
Hi Peter, that one looks great. I were planning on doing an Iranian Tomcat as well, but fell in love with the "Wolfpack" markings in my Hasegawa kit, so it will have to wait until another time.

I am looking forward to see this one progress.
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi
Made a start on my Iranian Tomcat, so far built the cockpit tub painted it and used the kit decals for the instrument panels etc.
All was going well until i was cutting out one of the front tv screens, for want of a better term, from the decal sheet when the small piece fell on the floor and disappear so i had to paint it instead.
The throttles are just marks on the sheet so i may make something a bit more realistic out of plastic.
The seats dont look to bad just need to add some straps and paint them, not sure how iam going to paint the yellow/black striped ejector handles, god they are small.
Also started putting together some of the other main parts body wings etc.
Heres a pic of the cockpit so far, ok its not as detailed as some of you guys make but it looks ok to me

Anyway tomorrow with luck should get the seats done and cockpit finished and the bulk of the body put together.
Please dont be to harsh as its been a long time since i did an aircraft of any type

cheers
peter
somtec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hi
Heres some more progress pics of my tomcat.

Thers still plenty of work to do, a few small parts to added, under carriage doors ,weapons pylons etc but its looking like a tomcat now. Got to do some more filling and sanding but progressing quicker than expected.

Ordered some pollyscale paints from Hannants today, i like acrylics and they were the only matches to the fs numbers i could find.

Does anyone know where i can find a list of paints from the various manufacturers compared to fs numbers?

cheers
Peter

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:14 PM UTC
Looking Good Somtec, mines on hold until I finish my Vietnam campaign. In answer to your question try IPMS Stockholm Colour charts
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 07:22 AM UTC
Long time, no post... Anyway, some further progress and some problems that I need some help to solve!

Painting and decaling is now finished. Gunze paints, CAM decals and Gunze clear gloss to seal it all in. As a final step, I polish the gloss coat using Micro Mesh abrasive cloths, this results in an almost mirror smooth finish that is also very glossy. I like the smoothness but not the sheen... I could go over it all again with a satin coat but this will immidiately turn the surface a bit more uneven. Any suggestions?

I have also begun the weathering, I choose to start with the wings since they are the most easily repainted part of the model if I mess up. I nearly did since the artist oils bite to the Gunze paint immediately, making them almost impossible to wipe off completely.

A wing with the weathering process underway.

One of the ejection seats. Nothing extra, just out-of-the-box. The ejection handle is supplied as photo etch (no plastic as a back-up oddly enough, the same goes for all the panels in the cockpit) but a few coats of paint added some bulk to it.

Main fuselage. Lots of angles and difficult-to-reach areas when painting and polishing.

By the way, do you remember the grey "puddles" in the paintwork? They were actually bare plastic, the paint had been dissolved by Micro Sol... I masked the decals with strips of Tamiya tape and repainted, easier than I thought it should be!

Regards

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC
Just a quick Friday afternoon update...

I have added the natural metal leading edges to the wings and stabilizers using bare metal "Matte Aluminium" foil. I will have to overpaint part of it on the wings since just part of the leading edge slat area was in natural metal.

The fins will also have natural metal leading edges, I am not sure that the exact serial I am building had it but at least SOME Tomcats had it at some time or another.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Less than a month to go people and was wondering if anyone else is close to completion? I will admit I've not been concentrating on my Tomcat as I needed to finish my Skyraider for the Vietnam Campaign and I have also been having to look after my fiance through an illness she has been having. But hopefully now I will get the matt coat on the Cat and do the necessary weathering to get it finished.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 05:07 AM UTC
Finished mine ages ago, may try to get another done prior to end, just to show off!

Andy
madcat911
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 112 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Managed to squeeze in one more.

It's a 1/48 Hasegawa F-14D Tomcat built OOB except for the decals which are from Eagle Strike. Weathering was applied sparingly as I prefer my models "clean".

Hope you enjoy it!

Regards,
Mark
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 06:27 AM UTC
Some great work there madcat

In the style of Jean-Luc (ted manmere) here's a progress table of everyone's builds. if I have got anything wrong please tell me.

MESSAGE TO ALL PARTICIPANTS:

1. To make mine and Camogirl's life a lot easier can we please post a minimum of one picture in the Campaign gallery ( Found Here) of your completed build. This gallery will be my first port of call when it comes to the awards ceremony.
2. If any participants require a time extension for their build please PM either myself or Camogirl.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 08:13 AM UTC
Working working working...

I have brought the whole modelling workshop with me on holiday this year. I have set up shop in my parents living room so that I can pretend to be socially acceptable while still being able to finish that troublesome Tomcat in time. It will be close but I am almost sure that I will manage!

Tonight I am masking and painting the anti glare panel.

Back to the airbrush...

Regards

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:00 PM UTC
Looking good Magnus, If you do need some extra time just say so, I'm being flexible with the finish due to the mess up with the campaigns at the start of the year. I'm hoping to get the undercarriage weathered and attached on mine, then the final touch ups and it's done. Camogirl has said hers should be ready for decalling by the weekend.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi Allen!

That progress table looks very nice! Great job! Sorry I just spotted it today...

Jean-Luc
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:31 PM UTC
I think I started the cockpit before getting sidetracked by another project .
Oh well another marathon speed build coming along shortly, 3 days before the end of the campaign .
Andy
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hi all!

My Tomcat is on the GO!

Finally, all assembling is done and the fuselage (with wings but sans strakes, fins, tails, pylons, weapons, antennas and landing gear) could go into the paintbooth!
It took me three sessions and three (3!) tins of Humbrol 130 and one (1) tin of X-tracolor gloss white to get a decent finish.

If all goes to plan, I can get the Gull Grey on tomorrow, so It should be ready for decals this weekend!

Pics to come...

To Allen and Sam;

Congratulations!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It took me three sessions and three (3!) tins of Humbrol 130 and one (1) tin of Xtracolor gloss white to get a decent finish.

If all goes to plan, I can get the Gull Grey on tomorrow, so It should be ready for decals this weekend!

Pics to come...

Sounds about right for the beast of a kit your building I know I bought 6 tins of Light Gull Grey for my 1/32 Tamiya kit but i think I'm going to need more

Quoted Text

To Allen and Sam;
Congratulations!
Cheers!

Not too sure what you mean by congratulations but thank you anyway (unless it's for our engagement )

Thank you Jean-Luc, I only copy ideas from the best
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 08:03 AM UTC
Tonights update!

Masking removed, the edge of the anti glare panel looks a bit jagged but I will find some way or another to take care of that. All cockpit parts except the seats are in place as well, finally the Tomcat is taking shape!

Right now I am attaching all the position lights, I "glue" them using Gunze clear blue and red. It is fiddly...

Regards

Magnus
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:05 PM UTC
[/quote]Not too sure what you mean by congratulations but thank you anyway (unless it's for our engagement )[/quote]

Hi Allen!

Yes, that´s It!
Didn´t know if It was a secret , but I saw the little pic where you had "popped the question" in my latest SAMI issue!
But now the Cat´s out of the bag....

Magnus, Your Tomcat looks very good (skitsnyggt!)!

Seems like I could need to extend the deadline a week or two to finish my F-14.
All white is painted on now, Phew!
The Tomcat Is a BIG aircraft in 1/32!

Cheers!

Stefan E