Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"F-14 Tomcat Campaign" - Official Thread
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:09 AM UTC
caanbash wrote:

Quoted Text

I am going to build a 48 scale Tomcat tak-off diorama for this campaign and made a lot of research about the carrier deck. I have drawn the plans of it already:

So cool! VERY nice graphics!

Tomcat31 wrote:

Quoted Text

My current thoughts are to drill a scale size hole in the base which would give the slightly curved shape and then to make a small jig out of wood or metal (something that plastic cement won't stick to) ant then place five bits of plastic rod in the jig and drop a bit of glue to bond them all together then just trim them to size and mount in the hole (I hope).

I am not meaning to be rude but I think you will die of boredom before you ever get finished

Somewhere I read about someone who hade done a tool from a metal rod of suitable diameter. This was filed round in the nose and then five grooves in a star pattern were made using a saw or file. With this tool and a hammer he could actually stamp the tiedowns in the plastic. It might also be possible to either use it hot or use liquid glue to melt them in.

Now I'm off painting, I might post some more progress shots this weekend!

Regards

Magnus
mstcls
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hey Everybody.

Well it’s been an interesting couple of weeks. Progress on my first Tomcat had slowed to a halt. First both of our cars needed to go into the shop, I caught the flu bug and on top of the snow and sub zero temperatures my compressor quite. I was right in the middle of spraying the final touches and the compressor went dead. This is what happens when you buy cheap tools, I only paid $35-$40 for that compressor. So I decided to buy a new one and it arrived yesterday.

It is the Paasche D200R from Tower Hobbies (sorry about the quality of the photo). Tower did a fantastic job on processing my order and I would recommend them to anyone. As far as my Tomcat I had to use a brush and an old can of Testors propellant to finish up. So progress is almost on tract again and I hope to post some more photos this weekend (I have to work this weekend and a couple more to pay for my new toy LOL!!!)
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 06:46 AM UTC
Andy & Martin, thanks for the pic of the 'Heater' scheme. I'll have to do some research on that, it looks good. I seem to remember seeing some Phantom's looking like that too somewhere.
Mach22
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
Eric,

you are correct! VF-301 flew in the same type of scheme in the early 1980´s. They flew F-4S of course. The colours varied a bit between a/c and time period and so did the pattern. VF-301 were also stationed at Mirimar at that time.

I have started my F-14 build but I need to finish an A-4 first! That I have promised myself !! I have worked on mid fuselage and sort of figured out a good way to assemble the parts. I hope to get pictures up late next week.

Cheers
Martin
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 08:53 PM UTC
Martin wrote

Quoted Text

you are correct! VF-301 flew in the same type of scheme in the early 1980´s. They flew F-4S of course. The colours varied a bit between a/c and time period and so did the pattern. VF-301 were also stationed at Mirimar at that time.

Like these birdies:

Photos are public domain from DoD.

Regards

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not meaning to be rude but I think you will die of boredom before you ever get finished

Somewhere I read about someone who hade done a tool from a metal rod of suitable diameter. This was filed round in the nose and then five grooves in a star pattern were made using a saw or file. With this tool and a hammer he could actually stamp the tiedowns in the plastic. It might also be possible to either use it hot or use liquid glue to melt them in.

Now I'm off painting, I might post some more progress shots this weekend!

Regards

Magnus

I agree it could be boring and i'm sure there are other ways (as you have pointed out) I might try some of them out. This is the set i was on about but you only get 36 tiedown points and at £14 a go it could get expensive if you need 80+ tie downs that and you'll end up with alot of spare towbars and chain blocks.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the set i was on about but you only get 36 tiedown points and at £14 a go it could get expensive if you need 80+ tie downs that and you'll end up with alot of spare towbars and chain blocks.

Aaaahhh. The king of expensive photo etch.... Any of you tomcatters out there who have tried doing your own photo etch?

Regards

Magnus
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 02:13 AM UTC
Nope but its certainly something i'd like to try one day
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 02:32 AM UTC
FREE TO GOOD HOME Hasegawa 1/48 decal sheet for an F-14 A Plus Tomcat. Went into work this morning the decal sheet was ordered as a replacement for someone a fare time ago and has never been collected infact the person we ordered it for has not been in since. The decals are for VF-74 'bedevilers', VF-143 'Pukin Dogs' and VF-211 'Fighting Checkmates'. It was a free replacement so anyone who wants me just send me a pm.

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi all,

An in progress photo of the first two F-14A's, almost there

Ciao, Ciao baby
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 03:18 AM UTC
Progress to date:

Most of the white parts painted. There are lots of them...

Intake ducts and ramps assembled.

All parts removed from the trees and cleaned from parting lines and ejector marks. There is ejector marks everywhere, as soon as a part is large enough to allow for an ejector pin, there is one. Some are really tricky to get rid of, located among rivet lines on the insides of the landing gear covers for instance...

Cockpit painted and assembled. Nothing fancy, just the bits from the box with some drybrushing. I can't say that I am really fond of the Hasegawa etch parts. They lack the definition that Eduard and Part have and they are also very shallow making them hard to both dry brush and wash. I'm not too happy about the result either but at least it looks good in the pictures (a lot better than in reality where things just look black or grey...) I'll do my usual trick and spend some extra effort on the ejector seats and the coamings. I ALWAYS spend the work where the contest judge can be expected to see it :-)

Intake ducts:

Cockpit:

Next step will be assembling the forward fuselage and then mate that one to the rear end. In a few days it will look like a Tomcat I hope!

Luciano: After seeing your 1/144 Tomcats I really feel tempted to try one...

Bedtime!

Magnus
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 07:29 AM UTC

This is the kit I will use for this campaign. The Squadron mrkgs will be the VF-84 Jolly Rogers
mstcls
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 04:58 PM UTC
Greetings all

I made some progress on Tomcat #1 this weekend.

My efforts were both constructive and destructive. I applied all the markings for a VF-142 “Ghost Riders” aircraft and the final coat of Future to seal everything up. After everything was dry I was moving the model to a shelf to make some room when, you guessed it, I dropped it!!!! I was sitting down at the time and it didn’t fall far. The only damage was a split seam and a broken AOA sensor, nothing that cannot be fixed. All that's left to finish is the ordnance, the engine nozzles, landing gear and gear bay doors.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 03:09 AM UTC
mstcls wrote:

Quoted Text

After everything was dry I was moving the model to a shelf to make some room when, you guessed it, I dropped it!!!!

Sorry to hear that but it is a cool looking bird!

Front fuselage finished. Fit of nose part could be better, it is a bit wide. Hasegawas habit of cramming the most out of their tooling using inserts is a mixed blessing. Those inserts are often a tricky fit and they are hard to fill and sand also!

Regards

Magnus
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:15 PM UTC
Here is some progress on my lop-o-pooh Tomcat by Dragon in 1/144. The top doesn't look too bad. The bottom however, took more applications of putty and sanding than should be legally allowed on such a small kit I even painted the little alien looking pilots and placed them in their rather baren office space :-) One of the two canopies was cracked right out of the box, so I had to use the other one. Foggy to say the least, and even a bath in Future didn't help. I'm thinking that this will get painted blue and some decal material used for the framing. Since the gear legs and doors had such a horrnedous fit, I closed them up. I'll stuff a highly polished brass rod up one of the pipes for a display stand. Here's where it sits thus far. Thanks, "Q"

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hello friends!

Work continues... I read here, recommended reading, about an odd thing with the Hasegawa 1/72 kits: When assembling the front and back fuselage the fit is excellent but will result in a nose that bends upwards. The belly of the aircraft should be dead straight but it won't be if you don't do anything about it resulting in ill fitting Phoenix pallets and an odd stance.

I simply glued the parts together and then bent the fuselage until the belly was straight, fixing it in that position until the glue had set.

Straightening the fuselage...

..will result in a rather substantial gap right behind the cockpit...

...that a bit of putty will make look even nastier...

...but some careful sanding will return the model to its former glory...

What worries me now is that I can feel a change of curvature and a slight depression between the parts with my fingers. I'll have to paint it to see how well I succeeded with the sanding and reshaping.

I stumbled upon another web site that I don't think has been linked to before in this thread. If you think that you have built lots of Tomcats, check this one out . There is a good chance that he has built more of them! The site, Andys models, contains lots of other useful stuff like photos of the different sprues found in various Hasegawa Tomcat boxings and some very nice profiles.

Finally: At Tomcat Alley I counted to 45 different boxings of the Hasegawa Tomcat in 1/72. And there are even more than that since some of the latest ones were lacking!

Regards

Magnus
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 06:29 AM UTC
By my count and according to his built/Not started yet log, he has completed 37 Cats'. I burnt out after just four F-104s. Could not imagine building 37. Wow. "Q"
Removed by original poster on 03/03/07 - 16:04:57 (GMT).
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:38 AM UTC
Sorry peeps, the photos got lost in the mornings rush. Here they are.
IAN

[

mstcls
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hey Guys and Girls

I found this little cutie while I was researching my next cat.

RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:19 PM UTC
WOLF:
Cockpit looks GREAT so far . keep up the GREAT work.
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 03:31 PM UTC
My initial idea was to model one of VF103's final schemes and to park it next to the units new mount, the F/A18F. However, the sheet of transfers released with these markings on has disappeared from these shores and rather than buy another Hasegawa F14 just for the markings I had to turn my brain on.

A couple of weeks ago, I got hold of the Academy F14A 'Bombcat'. Aha, thought I, could I use this?

No, the A that Academy produced has markings for VF154, and they only had a bombcat for a couple of months before disestablishment. All was not lost, as VF103 used the 'B bombcat as well, so I'm going to use the Academy extra bits on the VF103 bird, Victory 103.

Here's a couple of shots of the bird in question.

IAN
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:50 PM UTC
Some update photos for you all.

the jet pipes. Note the smooth area before the turkey feathers. Panels lines should not be present on F110-GE-400 powered aircraft.

The fuselage does not meet the forward section properly, a spreader bar reduces the work needed as this part is too narrow.

The nose underside is not a good fit either. More filling and sanding is needed to get these parts to fit where they should.
Even Hasegawa kits are not perfect. Look on the bright side though, at least you get your modelling money's worth.

IAN
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:59 PM UTC
Some updates for you all.

The undersides showing the areas needing work. The intakes need a locating tab on the fuselage section to assist fixing.

The jet pipes. The right hand pipe without the turkey feathers, shows the smooth section applicable to all F110-GE powered Tomcats.

A spreader bar is needed as the main fuselage is too narrow where it joins the nose section.

The nose section underside. A lot of work will be needed to get this area looking OK.

Even Hasegawa kits have there problems. Don't forget to cut off the intake ramp actuating rods or the ramps will be in the wrong position for a parked aircraft.

IAN
Wolfpack
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:18 AM UTC
Just a quick update for today. Main fuselage section complete and has had the second application of Mr Surfacer. Parts E1 and E4 need swapping sides as you'll find if you build one of these. Also, they need the ECM bulge sanding off as only the 'D' has this fit.

TTFN

IAN