General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/144 Scale modeling
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
Finally finished.

Two Type 99 Val's and a Mc.202

Luciano
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 02:56 AM UTC
Cosford 2009 show photo report on things 1/144

Hope you enjoy, oh all these where on one stand the 1/144 SIG who I joined
Luciano
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 03:52 AM UTC
Luciano,
Outstanding display ! Talk about showing the benefits of 1/144th scale, there it is in one display. I didn't realize the UK IPMS had a 1/144th SIG. I'll have to dig out more info on that. At present, I'm a member of the US and Canadian IPMS.

Thank you for posting the pics, maybe this will get all our "creative juices" flowing again, and get some building accomplished.

Keep building, Gang .....................................Bruce
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 04:08 AM UTC
No problem Bruce, anything for the 'True scale'. If you want contact info for the SIG I'll PM you as the e-mail contact details on the IPMS UK site is out of date.

Luciano
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
Luciano,
Thank you, I would appreciate the info. Definitely am interested in another 1/144th group of enthusiasts. When ever you get a chance, just PM me.

So what is your latest project ?

Take it easy , Bruce
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
Latest off the bench .....

Attack Mig-15 finished with Alclad dull aluminum

Luciano
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 08:59 AM UTC
Luciano,
As always, a very nice job ! That's one you don't get to see many finished of at shows.

So what has everyone been up to ?

Unfortunately, I have several critical 1 to 1 scale house projects that definitely took priority over my plastic. See Ya................................Bruce
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
My latest:

More Here: http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/aviation/Wolfpack_Designs_1_144_BAC_TSR_2.php
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
Nice one Matt, I've just picked this one up myself so how'd it go together?

Just seen on Hannants that they have a new resin 1/144 company listed with an AVRO Arrow now thats a must, and a Saab Draken. Can't remember the companies name, doh

Luciano
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
I had a go at small scale recently the build log can be found Here
Exequiel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:51 PM UTC
am usually into '72 and even '48 scale aircraft. but sometimes when i want to do a quickie, i do dabble in 144. here's one that i actually finished a couple weekends back...

mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 01:02 AM UTC
That would be Miniwing. Check out Internet Modeler (http://www.internetmodeler.com/), because I've previewed all their kits to date. For the next published issue I have a build article for the Draaken (built by someone besides me, otherwise it would still be sitting ) and that same builder is working on their Fury.

I'm currently working on their Avro Arrow, and it's a nice kit! Some seam work, but aside from that and after clean-up, the kit falls together (I'm just a very slow builder).

Next on my to-do list from them is their V-1, but as a Loon from the US Navy. I also want to work on their Jaguar, but that will have to wait until a few of the other in-progress kits are finished.

I definitely recommend them, as their kits are awesome and very well detailed.

Oh, and about the TSR.2, it went together relatively well. Best to read my article as my memory isn't that great.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
Folks,
It has been quite a while for our thread, so I thought I might wake things up again. Unfortunately due to family health problems, ( as well as home renovations !) this has been a poor year for me 1/144 scale completion wise. However ....... I'm BACCCCK !!!!

I finally managed to get my F-18F "Rhino" completed in VFA-32 colors. I'll get some photos posted later in the week. Plus, I will be attending the US Nationals this week in Columbus, Ohio. Hopefully, we will have a good turnout in 1/144th ! Again, I'll try to get some decent photos if possible.

Next question - anyone built the A-Model family on the Canberra bombers ? Better than OzMods ? I have seen they have several versions out, and just wondering the quality.

OK, boys and girls, the summer is almost over. It is time to start rolling out all those "Winter Projects" and start the planning ! So what do you think ? Take it easy ...............Bruce
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
I have a photo, but not with me.

Currently in progress, FWIW, is a Miniwing CF-105 (needs primer), a Don Schmenk Yak-9P (still performing surface prep) and an OzMods T-33 (working on getting the wing attached to the glued-together fuselage halves).

In my "want to do soon" pile is the Miniwing XF-10F Jaguar and a Revell GR.7 Harrier using the RetroWing replacement intakes. I also have a Dragon F-117 I need to work on the cockpit for.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
Folks,
Well, our thread has been in sleep mode for quite a while. Just thought you might enjoy seeing the infamous DML F-18F...Yes, I finally finished it. Actually, it was quite a fun build. BTW, the decals are from Jasmine Decals of Japan. So how are the rest of you doing ? take it easy..........................Bruce

Exequiel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:21 PM UTC
wow. very lovely bug you got there. first time i also learned about jasmine decals. thanks for sharing!

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 10:19 PM UTC
Very nice indeed Bruce

I've been very quiet on the modelling front this year due to loads of extra work covering sick and vacant shifts but that is coming to an end which means I can get back at it very soon. I do have a vacform Pembroke on the boil which has been to the shows with me which I sand and fill to while away the time

One bonus for all the extra work, more model tokens
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC
Littorio,
Glad to see your back. So what kind of projects are you looking at now ?

I'm searching around for my next 1/144th, and the A-Model HU-16B Albatross springs to mind. Has anyone worked up this kit ? How bad is the fit ? I realize this isn't Revell or DML quality, but they also pick some very interesting subjects.

Any comments ? Take it easy........................Bruce
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 03:20 AM UTC
After a long while a little return on the true and rightful scale:] Platz F-4EJ Kai I built for my girlfriend's home in flight position.

Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 03:56 AM UTC
Yalym,
The F-4 really looks good ! So how is the Platz kit ? We have problems getting them where I live, so we don't get to see too many of them. I managed to find several F-8's, and was quite impressed with their product. So what will the next project be ?

I've been searching around the 1/144th stash while I finish a 1/72 Hobby Boss A-7E. I really looked hard at an HU-16E Albatross by A-Model. But I think I'll just have to give in and tackle a Minicraft C-130 - it's just too nice a kit. At present, I'm leaning towards a USCG color scheme. This will give me the winter project I want, plus definitely some color to add to the model case....we'll see.

So what are the rest of you building ? Take it easy, Bruce
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 04:24 AM UTC
Even though the best F-4 kit I've seen in the scale it is, contrary to the other Platz models, an F-toys replica. Thus prety crude in general bun nice trench lines as details which does surprisingly well with my thick painting. Conclusion: Go to HLJ website and buy as many as you want. Only the fitting detail of wings and the fuselage under the nose and exhausts are a little fidly. Decals are superb. But don't forget that it is a F-4EJ Kai kit, so if you want to do anything else you have to do some cutting and rebuilding. I also saw that Platz is releasing an A-4....HELL YESSSSS!!!!
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 01:44 AM UTC
Wow, both the F-18 and F-4 look awesome! Well done!!

Me, still struggling with the Miniwing CF-105 (which is not the kit's fault). I can't seem to find a white primer. I used the Tamiya Fine White decanted and airbrushed, but a lot of it came out "dusty" (if that makes sense).

So, what do others use as a white primer, especially on resin? For that matter, what do people recommend as a resin primer, overall?
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
Matt,
I may be wrong, but I think your problem is the primer is air-drying on the way to the model. I've had that problem before with different types of paint. I now thin the heck out of any paint I'm using for primer. (normally around 70 percent) Plus when I spray, I get in close to the model, about 2-3 inches. I use the Paasche VL Dual action and shoot at roughly 14-16 psi for acrylic paints. Hope this helps.

I'm sure others on this forum have some other tips for you. Enjoy...............Bruce
flyeven
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC
Dear all,
I am new in this scale
This is my ferist questions:
What kits to avoid from Academy and Revell?
How do you paint the canopys?

Thank you for any help,

José César
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 02:37 PM UTC
Jose,
I'm sure many will respond with tips for you. Here are a few from me. I suggest you go with the Revell kits for now, they are some of the best on the market. You did not say how long you have been modeling, but these kits are very good quality for the money.

As for painting the canopies, I use tape. There are several different types you can use, it really is a case of which works best for you. I normally use Scotch frosted cut with a new blade. I hope this helps you out a little. Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask for any help. Take it easy and enjoy....................... Bruce