General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/144 Scale modeling
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
G'day Pete, and welcome to Aeroscale. If you are anything like me you will get lost in these forums for hours, the skill of some of these guys is just astounding.

I love your Beau, I don't know how you guys work in that scale, my fingers wouldn't co-operate !!

Cheers, D
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
Peter,
Nice website, and some very nice models. I take my hat off to those of you who mold your own. With all of the releases coming out, I can't keep up with them, never mind having the time to build and mold my own. Good work, and welcome to Aeroscale. Take it easy, Bruce
pbhawkin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 170 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 06:02 PM UTC
Here's a question for you all.
When you buy a kit what would you prefer when it came to decal options and cost? I am really talking about small scale operations ("garage kits" if you like) where you can influence the cost of the kit. The planes I make have decals that can often have 8 or so different aircraft markings on a sheet but cost $10. The ability to pick a set of decals (or two) for say $2/plane may be a better option (obviously both choices are not mutually exclusive).
So:
1. a sheet with lots of options but at more cost?
2. The ability to choose (from a selection) a set of decals for the one particular plane you want to build (at a lot less cost)?
Exequiel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC
i'm a member of IPMS Philippines and recently we had our 7th National Scale Modeling Competition. And for the second year in a row, i was fortunate again to take home the 1st place trophy for 1/144 aircraft category. here's my winning entry, Sweet's Bf109F-4/trop...

my good friend Marlon took 2nd place with his beautiful Revell Stallion...

third place was from yours truly again with the DML Gunslinger bug...
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
Guy's here some photos of the 1/144 aircraft from this years Telford IPMS Nationals show which took place beginning of November

This first one was a club stand

Close up of the Wessex

And now

Hope you like

Ciao
Luciano
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 07:55 AM UTC
Rafael and Luciano,
Absolutely tremendous coverage for all of us. The Phillippines and then Telford showing - what more can we ask for ? It really is great to see 1/144th steadily advancing in both quality and quantity. These shows illustrate what can be accomplished with these "Mini" kits !

Well, now it is the "Building" season starting all over again. So what is everyone planning for next years major project ? Take it easy , Gang ..................Bruce
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:46 PM UTC
Wow, what amazing, amazing work. I get chided sometimes for building in 1/72 scale because of it's size. Good natured chiding of course! Working in 1/144 for anything other than airliners is a real challenge in my book. Especially in the last few years as I am in my early 40's, my eyesight isn't what it used to be! Oh well, getting old is better than the alternative, I think! Ha ha. Again, thanks for showing off some incredible work guys! Russell
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
Trying to finish up the Miniwing CF-105. Just a few struts to add, then I can Future it, decal it, and then start the (minimal) weathering. While I was hoping to finish it this month, it unfortunately wasn't to be.

Next up will probably finish the OzMods T-33 and start either the Miniwing F9F-8T Cougar, A-7A or XF-11F Jaguar. What I want to try to do with the Jag is use both wings. Somehow make it so I can use either wing at any time. Unfortunately one of the wings will need to be shimmed a little, but I'm still trying to figure out the whole way of "mounting" the wings so they won't fall off. Some sort of peg-and-hole assembly? Not quite sure...
pbhawkin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 170 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hmmm,
I thought someone might have had an opinion as to decals?

Anyway, some lovely model pictures guys. I like the Sweet 108 especially.

Here is my build of a PZL P-37 Los by Mirko. A terrible flaky plastic that flakes off with cutting or aggressive sanding! Although better than the Green plastic other 1/144 Mirko kits are made from and much truer to life too!.

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
Wooow realy realy cool kits again. I was wondering what happened to 144 modelers last week when the thread went back to 3rd page. What is that Wessex by the way? Resin or injection? Which company?
Anyways I am back with the F-14:

And...

Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
Yalym,
As usual, your models are great. I also noted you managed to get in on the end of the Carrier Bird build - very good ! So what is your latest project ? Take care...........Bruce
flyeven
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC
Great looking work

José César
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
Thank you very much. Well actualy I am on another VF-84 F-14A, this time revell. To be honest it is waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the old Dragon one. I also have two P-47s in progress, one is Eagleston's metalic bird and the other will be TuAF Tulsa Redhead....I hope. I also have a few Bf.109s always hanging around my desktop. I am taking them slow :} Hmm I also have two more Dora Butcher Birds. One will be notorious Hans Ulrich Rudel's aircraft, and who knows the other. Well see:} Meanwhile I am showing herasy with the too large scale (1/72) models, from time to time. Have fun, keep'em on!
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
AeroScale: 144 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:49 PM UTC
WOW...just found this thread and I am impressed. Some extremely impressive builds here. I was with Yalım on the Airedale Navy campaign. He did the F-14A and I did a Revell F-14D Super Tomcat. It was my first aircraft build in almost 15 years, my first 1/144 scale (other than an old airliner) and first carrier aircraft in almost 20 years. May I offer a few pictures of my novice attempt.

Trying to catch the "three wire."

Preparing for night ops.

A couple of general shots.

A thanks to my SWMBO for taking the pictures (she's taking a college photo course) and for also helping out with support and helping with the canopy painting.

Thanks for looking,
tread_geek

Exequiel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:05 PM UTC
hi jan, that's a nifty cat you have there. if i may, just to improve a bit more you may want to add some wash. anyway, that's just me, still looks pretty as it is. cheers!
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 08:54 AM UTC
Raphael, thanks for looking and the comments. I've done exclusively armour models since returning to the hobby just short of two years ago. I don't think that what I've learnt about weathering those subjects would apply to aircraft. I did attempt some scuffing along the sides of the fuselage below the cockpit but obviously it doesn't stand out in the pictures. Even a a macro shot of the area barely shows much results for the effort involved. I wanted to try defining the panel lines better but didn't want to take the risk of ruining the build. I'll definitely be reading up on what others do to achieve the effect you are referring to.

Cheers,
Jan
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:40 AM UTC
I was guarding your six Jan. Nice one,specialy thinking that it is done after a long break. Much better choice on the kit the Revell is. And compliments to the chéf for the photoes. Maybe a little more closed diaphrame(is it the same in English?) would be more helpful do get a wider area focused on such small models.
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was guarding your six Jan. Nice one,specialy thinking that it is done after a long break. Much better choice on the kit the Revell is. And compliments to the chéf for the photoes. Maybe a little more closed diaphrame(is it the same in English?) would be more helpful do get a wider area focused on such small models.

Yalım, thanks for being my wing man. We definitely had the most potent birds in the campaign. Would you believe that I thought that the Revell kit was going to be a quick and easy build! Camera wise we call what you are mentioning aperture. My wife had her camera set at F35 which I believe is as closed as that lens will go. These little birds are a challenge and I/we will try some more shots using macro filters. Thanks you for your comments.

Cheers,
Jan
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:50 AM UTC
Quick? Hmmmm...I generaly spend more time on 144s than 72s. They can be a devil sometimes.
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quick? Hmmmm...I generaly spend more time on 144s than 72s. They can be a devil sometimes.

Yes, I figured that being so small there would be fewer parts so it would go together faster. Was I ever wrong! Then there was attempting to mask areas for painting and the "hundreds" of decals.

I nearly fainted when I saw the sprues and eight pages of instructions. Simple kit, NOT! I have pictures of everything so perhaps I might do an in-box review of the kit or even a build article. That way others might have an idea of what they are getting into.

Cheers,
Jan
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 12:54 AM UTC
Finally finished the Miniwing CF-105. Full article on Internet Modeler.

Tango-India-Mike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 01:19 AM UTC
Oh, now that's nice...I do like that! A bit of a coincidence too, as I've just watched the movie 'The Arrow'. What a great aircraft, and that's a nice model of it too.

All the best,

Tim.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 03:54 AM UTC
Matt,
Great job on the Arrow, that one really looks nice. Obviously there is a lot of work in that one.

I don't know if anyone has seen it, but Platz A-4E is out and available. Very Very nice kit ! Even better than their F-8C Crusader, and that's saying something. Looks like Platz is cranking out a Vietnam series with these two. Makes me wonder what is next ? Anyone have any hints ?

Take it easy, Gang, and keep building.............Bruce
Exequiel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 05:53 PM UTC
just something i finished over the weekend. Platz' F-51D in Philippine Air Force livery. messed up paint finish though. since i don't have the recommended gunze paints and used tamiya acryllics, it came of a bit grainy. some sources claim the red bands on the fuselage should also be oriented opposite what the instructions called for.
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:27 AM UTC
Thanks, Bruce.

Where did you pick up your Platz Skyhawks and Crusaders? I now have the Starfighter decals for those, and would like to finish the Platz kits using their decals.

Thanks.