_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/144 Scale modeling
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
Fellow Builders,
Just wondering how many of us out there are die-hard 1/144th scale builders ? Whether you build Aircraft, Armor, ships, or whatever, sound off Gang !
I know there has to be a bunch of us, and the list is growing ! We're getting more and more each day, so let's help each other.
Join in the conversation. Semper Fi ...............................Bruce
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hmmmm...... There must not be very many out there.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:19 AM UTC
Not die hard, but i dabble on occasion. My eyes seem to have a lower limit of 72 scale usually, but i've bought one of those magnifier thingies, which makes it easier

Andy
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 02:23 AM UTC
I "dabble" in the scale as well, having picked up a number of the DML aircraft kits. I like the kits, they seem well enginered for the most part. However, at my age (55), eye-strain does come into play, so these kits are quick-build amusements, rather than serious modeling attempts.

Mike

Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 03:04 AM UTC
Gentlemen:
Whew ! I was starting to wonder if there were any 1/144th builders out there ! Actually, this scale has really taken off in the last few years, between Aircraft, Armor (growing), and now ships slowly starting.

What I love about the scale is the fact it will not kill your display space plus definitely it is not a budget-buster. With the growing competition between Revell and Dragon, with Trumpeter trying to decide to join in or not, it will be interesting in the future.

Mike, don't feel bad....I'm 57 , and the eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I use "reading glasses" (3.50 magnification) to help out.

Attached is a photo of my latest creation.... the Dragon M3A2. Take it easy, Gang. Semper Fi .................................Bruce

CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC
I too have dabbled in the 1/144th scale, in the interest of space conservation, when tackling larger subjects. I have even dropped down to 1/200th in a couple of cases. But I do prefer 1/72nd scale as my primary.

This display is 1/144th scale and still 11 x 14 inches.

As to the eyesight issue, like Bruce, my sight needs assistance as well. I do all my work regardless of scale under a magnifier light, with my glasses on. Hell, I need my glasses to find the magnifier light.

Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 07:28 AM UTC
I must be a bit strange. I need glasses to drive and watch telly eyc, but recently i've found i can't focus close up with them on.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 09:12 AM UTC
Andy - don't think of it so much as close up work, but more as getting things big enough to see what you are doing. At least that is the case for me.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 09:12 PM UTC
I just started working in this scale, mainly due to lack of space. Currently working on a project for the "Rumble in the far east" campaign (you can see more pictures there). I'll be doing a few more kits in 1/144 - they are really cute! - but then I hope to step back up to the BIG scale (1/72, that is). I miss detalining cockpits!

There is a big difference in quality between the Sweet and Platz models on the one hand, and the Minicraft ones on the other. Let's see if I can make anything decent out of the Hein and the P-38J...

Any news regarding the P-47D Bubbletop that Platz is supposed to release soon?

Cheers!
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 02:27 AM UTC
Bjorn,
No argument about the quality of Sweet and Platz kits. But you might also find the new releases from Revell and Eduard are also right up there in quality. Eduard's 262 family is terrific.

Also if you haven't seen them yet, the P-51B's from Sweet are top of the line with both the normal canopy and the Malcolm hood.

Needless to say, 1/144th is alive and well, and definitely increasing

Enjoy, ...................Bruce
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here´s another 1/144 addict!

I usually build in 1/32 and 1/48, so why bother with such small things as 1/144?

I started when I couldn´t decide between two paint schemes on a Academy 1/32 F/A-18C Hornet kit.
I bought two small (and cheap!) Revell 1/144 F/A-18´s, and I was suprised by the high quality of them.

Then came the SWEET Hurricane MkI Fabric Wing and I bought a box, and was suprised to find TWO kits in there!

Fit, detail and decals were fantastic so I got the Wildcat... and the Macchi C200... and the Bf109.... and the P-51B Mustangs..... and are waiting for more to come!

PLATZ is another range of small super kits so I got their P-51D Mustangs,
Fw190D-9, F-8 Crusader and are waiting for the Hellcat and Thunderbolt!

The big advantages with this small scale is;

You can build as many aircrafts you possibly want to, as they hardly take up any shelf space.

You can build aircrafts variying in sieze from the Wildcat to the An124, and still be in the same scale.

Now I admit that I do collect every new issue from SWEET, PLATZ, Dragon and Revell.
Add to all this the old brands and It´s a quite big range you have to choose from.

These small kits are easy and fast to build, making them the perfect diversion from more "serious" builds in the larger scales!

Don´t forget: they are dead cheap considering what you get in the boxes (newly moulded kits that is!)!

Bring ´em on!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:03 AM UTC
Stephan,
Obviously, I agree with your sentiments. Plus the most recent things coming out makes it even better. If you are a diehard aircraft modeler, armor modeler, or shipwright.......you can now branch out in our preferred scale without investing buckets of money.

DML is popping Armor models faster than I can keep up, and Revell is doing their best with 1/144th Submarines. Besides the Type VII minelayer, there is the modern Type 212A, just now joined by the Type 214. Plus Trumpeter has also jumped in with the LCAC, Kilo Class Boats, etc.

Overall, I have to say, 1/144th is definitely coming on. IMHO it is a Great scale and well worth modelers checking it out.

Enjoy guys..........Semper Fi, ............Bruce
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:40 PM UTC
How about an "Itsy bitsy" campaign here on Aeroscale for aircraft and aircraft dioramas in 1/144 or smaller? I've been thinking about it for a while. Maybe we can lure some people who has yet to try this scale? Please revert if you're interested.

Cheers!

Polarbear
(who just placed an order for a whole lot of 1/144 pilot figures from Ozmods)

Ps. I'll be willing to "co-host" such a campaign, but I'm hoping to host another one pretty soon and I don't know if you're allowed to host two...
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:21 AM UTC
Bjorn,
I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately I have way too much going on at present to host, but if another jumps in, I'll enlist. It is the best way to drum up interest and get a following going.

As I've stated previously, there are more than enough extremely good kits on the market now, and 1/144th needs to be taken seriously. I've seen some really great models out there, and I keep trying on my own.

So what say ye, Crew ????? Semper Fi .........................Bruce

P.S. Here's a little teaser to get us started....Eh ?
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 07:09 AM UTC
Another 144th scale builder signing in. I have 2 of Sweet's P-51 B's here on the bench. I love these little guys! Thank GOD you get 2 kits in a box!!

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have 2 of Sweet's P-51 B's here on the bench.

... and the "POW" kit of the P-51B has markings for two Swedish Aircraft!

Is that your CF-18, Bruce? Mighty impressive!!!

If we get a few more interested people, I'm going to submit a suggestion for an "itsy-bitsy" campaign.

Cheers!
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:46 PM UTC
Heeey! You can't just built up a 144 thread without me!! That is illegal! I love building 1/144 aircraft since I was a little kid. I simply love the scal.....hey!! wait a minute! Where did you find those figures???!!!!!!!!
Anyways. I love building anything small, maybe that is why I build 1/144.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Heeey! You can't just built up a 144 thread without me!! That is illegal! I love building 1/144 aircraft since I was a little kid. I simply love the scal.....hey!! wait a minute! Where did you find those figures???!!!!!!!!
Anyways. I love building anything small, maybe that is why I build 1/144.

I take it you want in on a possible 1/144 campaign!

I ordered figures from www.ozmods.com. They have both seated and standing, WWII and modern. I hope their quality is good, but I can't vouch for it. The figure with the CF-18 looks like one from Preiser, who has at least two interesting sets in 1/144 (one modern and one USAAF).

Anyone else interested in a campaign?

Cheers!
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
Folks,
If you're looking for 1/144th figures - Preiser is definitely the way to go. They also have a West German Air Force set. Plus DML (Dragon) also has a crew with the EA-18G and carrier deck. They had previously released this with an F-18, plus an F-14 with support gear, so there is quite a bit available

Bjorn, I haven't seen the OzMod figures yet. Please let us know how they are when you receive them. OzMod have quite a few accessories available including bombs and missiles.

It is really good to see this scale getting some attention lately, keep it up gang. Let the rest know we're out here and building. And yes, the CF-18 is mine, it is the Revell F-18C kit...an absolute jewel ! How about the rest of you sharing some pics of models in the "Proper" scale !!!!! Keep Building, Bruce
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
My P.O.W.'s are goingto be German and Japanese. I've always liked the sharks mouth on the nose.

Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi all!

A small-scale campaign would be great, of course I´m in on that!

Bruce, you wanted to see some of our builds.
Well, here´s some of mine!

The new Dragon F/A-18E Super Hornets;

The Trumpeter Kawanishi H6K5 "Mavis", not a small plane even in this scale!

Revell F-14A, From VF-142 "Ghostriders".

SWEET Siskorsky SH-3H Seaking

SWEET Hawker Hurricane MkI; Finnish

SWEET Hawker Hurricane MkI, Rumanian

And this little Revell F/A-18C Hornet inspired me to do it in a slightly larger scale!

If you want to see more go here;

http://www.mypix.se/ShowFriend.asp?AID=JOGMNOCPJ0

My stable of "Ponies" (P-51´s) can be found here on Aeroscale!

Hope you enjoyed my small kits!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:15 PM UTC
Stefan,
Very nice work, Thanks for posting these photos. Come on, crew.....everyone just post 1 or 2 photos. That will serve to introduce ourselves, and generate some Great interest in our hobby. Remember, we have to help each other out to grow the hobby.

And especially you, Penny, we have so few women in this hobby. So don't anyone be bashful. Post a photo and ask for assistance if you need it. I have no doubt someone on this list will have the answer !

At present, I'm finishing a Scratchbuild PBR (Patrol Boat River) from Vietnam for Modelshipwrights. Plus I'm also working up a Trumpeter AAV7A1 USMC vehicle, and of course the Minicraft C-130.

So what is everyone else working on ? Semper Fi..................Bruce
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
Here's a Sweet FM-2 Wildcat that I build. This kit came with the kitty figures and the deck.

Even if you enter this into a "What if??" catagory in a contest, people STILL won't take it for being part of the kit....

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC
I upload my birds from time to time but why not post here too?
But beware, I realy can't finish them as clean as you guys(and ladies).

This is my latest finished one. Arii's reissue F-105. Cute kit, but a total lie on the decals and instruction. So I improvised the decals from other kits and finished as a probable but not existing plane.

This is my first Bf.109 in the "True Scale" Quiet a disaster actually.

This is my OOB Dragon Agressor F-5E. I hurried up a little in the end thus it turned out as a disaster too. Underside is ok but the topside...horrible...

Minicraft Bf.110. I tried winnterwash.

Also Minicraft Ju.88A-4 astill not finished, acompanied by Eduard Fw.190 A5 of Hermann Graf.

Sweet little Bf.109F-4. To be honest I am pretty happy with it. Still needs an anthenna though.

something little extra:P
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 02:30 AM UTC
Penny and Yalym,
Thank you for posting photos, it's good to see other's work, gives all of us ideas.

And since we're showing different company's products, what company's do you feel are producing the best 1/144th kits at present ?

For "Mainstream" kits, I have to vote for a heck of a contest between Revell and Dragon. But if Eduard really get serious....look out ! For the smaller companies...... hands down it has to be Sweet.

So how do the rest of you feel ? Take it easy, Bruce
 _GOTOTOP