_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden Fokker D.VII - Udet?
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi all,

So, I'm getting ready to start on my very first WWI plane. It's Roden's Ernst Udet D.VII. Looking over the instructions it does not say how the interior should be painted. I'm guessing a plywood look for the floor and dash, but what about the walls? Were they plywood as well? Or fabric? I've done the Google thing but did not find what I wanted.

Also, even though I'm a ways from it, how do you paint the prop to look like wood laminate? And what colors to use? Thanks!

-Derek
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 07:21 AM UTC
Greetings Derek;

Here is a bit of fun from the Royal Fokker thread .

While the aircraft types are the same there is a good bit of difference between the Roden and Eduard kits. The Roden is highly impressive. BUT the fit of the lower wing to the fuselage is TIGHT and needs correction. Also on the early Schwerin issue the lower front attachments to the outer wing struts needs a bit of micro-management. There are other minor refinements I talk about in my review on my website.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:16 AM UTC
Stephen,

Thank you for the quick reply! As usual, you are a big help.

Based on that pic, I see that the wall is just fabric, but on the Roden they molded wood texture. Was the prototype fabric like the pic?

-Derek
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 03:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen,

Thank you for the quick reply! As usual, you are a big help.

Based on that pic, I see that the wall is just fabric, but on the Roden they molded wood texture. Was the prototype fabric like the pic?

-Derek

Yes, All were fabric covered "EXCEPT" one experimental type from Albatros of Johannistahl was covered with wood. It turned out to be about 60 lbs heavier than the fabric covered fuselages.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hello. as a fan (not a knowing one) of the D.VII I have a rather irrelevant question. Do you happen to know what color was Hermann Göring's Fokker's cockpit? Is it white as the rest of the plane or Lozenge as general?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello. as a fan (not a knowing one) of the D.VII I have a rather irrelevant question. Do you happen to know what color was Hermann Göring's Fokker's cockpit? Is it white as the rest of the plane or Lozenge as general?

There are those who disagree but Fok. D.VIIF 5145/18 was believed to have been painted at the Schwerin Factory for Göring per A. Fokker's directive. If this is true it would most likely have been lozenge. If they had used anything else it would be unuausal. Printed lozenge was the standard of the time. Components for the BMW powered 5145/18 were simply diverted to the paint shed overpainted white and stenciling added in black per govt contract but on the white surfaces.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:16 PM UTC
Goering flew more than one DVII. At least one early Fokker built, and one DVIIF (the well known all white one). I'm guessing the later one would have lozenge interior- i personally doubt they would paint inside. The early one he flew had much of the fuselage still in Fokker streaky green. He may have even flew more than those two?

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Goering flew more than one DVII. At least one early Fokker built, and one DVIIF (the well known all white one). I'm guessing the later one would have lozenge interior- i personally doubt they would paint inside. The early one he flew had much of the fuselage still in Fokker streaky green. He may have even flew more than those two?

Andrew

Greetings Andrew;

Yes he did fly several Fokker D,VII types. The two you speak of are the more popular machines. Just for everyone's benefit the streaking did not penetrate the fabric and so did not show throught the interior. For a streaked fuselage machine - clear doped unbleached linen would be normal.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 06:07 AM UTC
More questions.....

In the instructions for the kit I'm working on it has three possible paint schemes. The well known Urnst Udet and two others. For one of them, it has the fuse to be painted clear blue. If I was to do that one what would be the under color. I imagine a cloth/canvas color, and then an over spray of blue. Is that correct?

Also, the instructions show that the engine housing/ nose be painted aluminum. If I went this route would it be a polished aluminum? I have all sorts of whacky ideas of what would look good, and I'm hoping that the "When I flew with.." campaign goes forth.

Thanks again

-Derek
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

More questions.....

In the instructions for the kit I'm working on it has three possible paint schemes. The well known Urnst Udet and two others. For one of them, it has the fuse to be painted clear blue. If I was to do that one what would be the under color. I imagine a cloth/canvas color, and then an over spray of blue. Is that correct?

Also, the instructions show that the engine housing/ nose be painted aluminum. If I went this route would it be a polished aluminum? I have all sorts of whacky ideas of what would look good, and I'm hoping that the "When I flew with.." campaign goes forth.

Thanks again -Derek

From "The Laws of Modeling 101".
#16.) The kit instructions, may be very interesting, but are 95 % of the time are irrelevant.

What colour scheme is the blue refering to?

Otherwis it sounds like a bad translation "clear blue" should read "light blue". This should only be used on early Schwerin built Fokker D.VII where the fuselage is streaked on the upper surfaces and light blue undersurface. All the wings were lozenge on both surfaces from the factory. See the Lozenge 101 thread.

The metal cowlings were overpainted at the factory - no polished aluminum.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 07:24 AM UTC
Perfect for the Swabians. The Roden Kit builds into a nice D.VII. But beware the fit problems. Dry fit everything and you will avoid problems.
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:47 PM UTC
Derek!

You've got this boxing, right?

Fokker D.VII (OAW early)

The main scheme and the subject of the cover art, Ernst Udet's 'Du doch nicht' plane with a candy striped upper wing, is a famous bird indeed, but quite controversial, too. At the Aerodrome forum there is a lot of threads about it, This one for example

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camouflage-markings/27232-udets-ddn-color-scheme-vote.html

Dan San Abbott has actually pointed out, that the plane was not an early OAW machine but an early Fokker built specimen.

Anyway, all the OAW built D.VIIs left the factory in lozenge fabric and the engine cowling painted in the peculiar 'giraffe' camo typical only to OAW Fokkers

Mikko
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC
I agree with Dan by the way. "Du doch nicht!!" was an Early Schwerin built Fokker D.VII.

This model is a heavily modified Revell 1/28 scale kit.

The ever popular German Ace Oblt.Ernst Udet’s early Fokker D.VII is now known to be an early Schwerin aircraft not an OAW as the provided reference in the Roden kit implies. Commonly referred to as DDN in reference to the statement Udet had painted on the elevators, “Du doch nicht!!” , which translates to, “Certainly not you!!” It was believed to have been assigned to him on or about June 13, 1918 and was lost in combat on June 26, 1918. Recently, various interpretations of the three known images of this aircraft have surfaced. To convert this machine to an early Schwerin type simply erase the circular access port on each surface of the side cowling panels and paint the vertical fin “red” upto the area adjacent to the rudder balance (the forward most portion of the top of the rudder where it curves down to the vertical fin.) Also indications tell us that “DDN” used either a Mercedes D.IIIaü 180hp. The nose and under carriage were probably “red” as well.

When Udet shot down 27 Aero Sqn pilot Lt. Wanamaker on 2 July 1918, Udet took th Nieuport 28 rudder fabric and Wanamaker (though seriously wounded)signed it. Udet gave him the original of the photo image below. This is an Early Fokker Schwerin built D.VII that was lost by Udet on 29 June, 1918 -DDN.

Just for the sake of having them in one place. Here is a bit of fun on the subject right here at Aeroscale.

Just for the sake of having them in one place. For more reading on the various license built Fokker D.VII represented in 1:48 kit form.
Click here I Eduard Royal Feature
Click here II Eduard OAW Feature
Click here III Eduard Schwerin Dual Combo review
Click here IV Roden Schwerin kit #415 Feature
Click here V Eduard Schwerin Weekend kit blog
Click here VI Eduard 2nd OAW issue Review
Click here VII Eduard MAG Dual Combo Review
Click here VIII Eduard Johannistahl Review
Click here IX DML / Dragon Kit Review
Click here X Hasegawa Kit Review
Click here XI Jager Kit Review
Click here XII Roden Early Schwerin kit Review