World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Helldiver, all out build!
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:48 PM UTC
Magic Chuk, this always lifts my monday morning. "Do not carry rocket here" I wonder if that was due to an accident, or if forward thinking prevailed.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Magic Chuk, this always lifts my monday morning. "Do not carry rocket here" I wonder if that was due to an accident, or if forward thinking prevailed.

I hope it was the latter, JP!

Another week gone by- along with the last remnants of Summer. Here's to the coming Fall!

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi Chuck,

Fantastic as always. It's nice to start the week with your updates...

Jean-Luc
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 01:52 PM UTC
Thanks for tuning in the the ChukChannel, Ted! Much appreciated.

It's been a tough weekend- medical emergency and all! About three hours sleep, a trip to the ER at 3AM, and I'm taking care of my wife who's suffering excruciating back pain. I'm getting a bit done while she sleeps, but have all the other house and dog stuff to handle. Things are okay, but I don't recommend this kind of weekend activity!. Hope you enjoy this somewhat brief update!

Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 04:45 PM UTC
Another brilliant installment! A few tips I'll be using when I start my TBM 1 Avenger. I really sympathise with your wife; had surgery couple months ago on the spine. I feel her pain!
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hope your wife gets better soon Chuck.

On a lighter note. I must confess it's not often someones blog makes me laugh out loud. But yours certainly did the trick.

"GOL-DURNED SEAGULLS!"

This might be the first time I've seen the "dot" method used on something other than armour. I wonder how it would look on my NMF bird?

Those dive flaps are just nuts.

Matt
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC
Stunning.
Its really coming together now Chuck.
I'd been looking forward to seeing how that filtering trick works.
Nige
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC
Its looking amazing Chuck. Hope your wife feels better soon.

I have a question for you, or anyone that has tried: Have you tried this on modern aircraft? I wonder how it will make those greys come to life.

Cheers,
Michael
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 03:35 PM UTC
Thank you very much, Nick! I hope your surgery has turned things for the better. We'll be seeing the doc tomorrow- fingers crossed!

Thanks to you, too, Matt. I'll bet a very light application to nmf would work quite nicely- but I'd use very earthy tones, no primaries. Armor guys have many useful secrets hidden down in their dungeons...

Try it, Nigel- you'll like it! Many thanks, Kamerad!

Thanks a bunch, Mike. I'll bet my bottom dollar that this technique would do a real number on the grey ghosts of today's skies. I don't know if anyone's given it a whirl- why not be the pioneer? Cheers!

chuk
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 07:28 PM UTC
I don´t know how it will work on a light gray plane, propably splendid - I tried it on a 1:48 green P38 I did some month ago, and it just makes it much more visually attractive.

As Chuk shows it allso looks stunning on a blue finish!

I have tried cleaning real 1:1 aircrafts, and they get amazingly dirty - even civilian planes. Dust and grime, oilspill and fuel, footsteps and dirty hands - and then up there, moist or rain, baking sun and pouring rain - gives a lot of multicolored stripes.

Just be sure - like Chuk says - to consider your choice of colors.

Hope your wife is better - looking forward to your next install.

Cheers/Jan
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 03:33 PM UTC
Well, it's been a wild week, but the missus is back on feet! Thanks for all the warm wishes, my friends- this update's for you!

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 07:09 PM UTC
Hi Chuck!

Fantastic Monday update. I'm not working today so I have plenty of time to read through your post...

I noticed you are writing a copyright at the end of each episode now. I suppose you fear that someone may steal your build presentation now that you are famous!

Keep up the fantastic work (in every aspect)...

Jean-Luc

P.S. I'm happy that your wife is feeling better...
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi Chuck -

I have to admit to mixed feelings. I'm both inspired and discouraged. I will never reach your level of expertise, BUT, I think I might like to try! That bit about rolling the little parts on a drill bit and nail file was neat and solved some problems of mine - really neat!

"Man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a Heaven for?"

Eagerly awaiting the next installment.
Steve
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 03:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the warm wishes, Jean-Luc- Marc is just about back to normal!
No one's tried to swipe anything (yet)- I just figured that if I'm going to publish this mess, I'd better protect it. you know us Americans- sue, sue, SUE!!!

Don't get discouraged, Steve- it's all just a hobby. I have the most fun when I'm problem-solving- it's the real challenge for me. Don't look too closely at my brush-painting- it's terrible! So many others do it much more neatly. I'll figure it out, though- in the meantime, I'll just keep plugging along and sticking the little pieces together in one big one. Many thanks, my friend- many thanks!
cheese
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC
I cant wait to see the red from the flaps on this thing.

I feel like hacking away at every flap I see now. The extra dimension it gives to just move those things a millemeter up or down gives it a whole new sense of realism. I tried it first on two small control surfaces on an A-10. Up next, I think i will hack away at an Osprey Im working on. Hacking, being short for surgically and painstakingly carefully removing the molded pieces.....

Great build Chuck!......and Little Chuck......and, my favorite sorry, Mr. President
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:58 PM UTC
Thanks, Mike- hack on, man, hack on!

I trotted my old Heinkel He-111 to OrangeCon yesterday and garnered an Honorable Mention, if I may humbly say! I met some great modelers, saw their amazing builds and had a great time. Bought a few kits and stuff, too.

Needless to say, I was itching to get back to the bench today and made some progress. Today's update is a bit early, as I have to dust off my tie and tails for a social engagement this evening. Ta, all!

guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 02:38 PM UTC
Excellent, excellent, excellent work Chuck. This thread so informative and entertaining. Always one of the first ones I check in on. The only problem I see is that I don't want it to come to an end.

Much appreciation,
Mark
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC
Hi Chuck -

I was just reviewing the last installment and have a couple questions if you don't mind.

a) How did you know there was a junction box on the rear of the gunners seat?

b) How do you cement the very small pieces into place? What type (or types) of cement do you use and how do you apply it.? I havn't seen any evidence of excess cement anywhere.

You are either in show business or should be - you always leave us wanting more.

Regards,
Steve

paxtonm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC
Chuck,

As always, spectacular work. There is so much to learn from this thread that it will be forever bookmarked in my favorites! You have made the sandbox over here a little bit better.

Take care,

Michael
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:54 AM UTC
Many thanks, Mark!

Quoted Text

Hi Chuck -

I was just reviewing the last installment and have a couple questions if you don't mind.

a) How did you know there was a junction box on the rear of the gunners seat?

b) How do you cement the very small pieces into place? What type (or types) of cement do you use and how do you apply it.? I havn't seen any evidence of excess cement anywhere.

You are either in show business or should be - you always leave us wanting more.

Regards,
Steve

Hi, Steve- I'm assuming you mean the junction box on the gunner's armor plate? I have a nice diagram and pics in the Detail and Scale book. The reflector sight was electric, as was the gun camera (when fitted)- all that wiring is for that hoo-ha. If there is one on the seat, I'm gonna have to go back and look for it! :O As for glue, I use Tamiya Extra-Thin cement for styrene and apply with a Touch-N-Flow applicator

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81778

I apply CA with a needle mounted in a dowel- actually it's my ancient high school dissection probe. With practice, you can get a tiny droplet where you want it. Trust me- there are plenty of places on the model where a little glue is evident!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 03:20 PM UTC
Sorry for the late update- my schedule has been a bit crazy, but now I'm on vacation! Here's a quick post for tonight- and I'll have a few days at home to keep pounding this anvil, so stay tuned!

chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 06:56 PM UTC
Chuck
Only now have I plucked up the courage to say something about this build ,to be honest, I'm speechless.
Its just fantastic.

wonders to self how much of what you havedone could be incorporated into the Academy 1/72nd special editon kit.
Gezzzzzz I hope I did't say that out loud.

Chris
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:35 AM UTC
Chuck:
I can't believe the level of detail you have achieved. This build has been a great learning platform for me. Thanks profesor
Pavlovsdog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Carlow, Ireland
KitMaker: 438 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
Fantastic , Fantastic , Fantastic,

What a amazing job you are doing on this hell-diver, you make me want to have a go at a buliding a plane again ,

Thanks for your out standing photo story - bult log .

Great work

Jerry

chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 02:25 PM UTC
Many thanks, my friends!
I'm back from a little R&R- and the Palm Springs Air Museum! I got to meet some great folks, stand up in a lot of bomb bays and wheels wells- and take a bunch of pictures! Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby! Without further ado, here's the progress I made before jumping ship- enjoy!