Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official "Aces High" Campaign Thread
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC
..you could use more of the kit decals as Steffen suggests by doing the Sturmbock flown by Wilhelm Moritz as photographed in July 1944 in full IV./JG 3 markings.....on second thoughts that might not qualify either...

TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..you could use more of the kit decals as Steffen suggests by doing Sturmbock flown by Wilhelm Moritz as photographed in July 1944 in full IV./JG 3 markings

Whoa, well you turned my head . It will be easier to make one with decals instead of handpainted.
I know I am bit stubborn, but thanks for helping me out !
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is that wierd mark on your planes tail? Your cencored swastika? :?

Well, we have certain laws here in Germany that must be obeyed. I like to make my models as real as I(!) can. Thus I put the swastika on it. But when I want to publish it on my website I have to censor it .. I am sorry but thats the way it works here in "good ol' Germany" and I know there are a few more countries ...

Neil could you provide a pic of the black cowl machine for Tuomas' campaing entry? If I understand the rules right, it is necessary that Wilhelm Moritz is on the pic too.

cheers

Steffen
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, we have ceratain laws here in Germany that must be obeyed. I like to make my models as real as I(!) can. Thus I put the swastika on it. But when I want to publish it on my website I have to censor it .. I am sorry but thats the way it works here in "good ol' Germany" and I know there are a few more countries ...

Steffen

I thought it would be some kind of swastika, but had never seen such square. If I understood it right you can have swastika on your model if you dont publish it. how about competitions?

It would be awesome if Neil could post that picture!

Tuomas
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 04:36 AM UTC
Same for competitions. If it is public it is forbidden.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 05:11 AM UTC
It's masking tape over swastikas in competions, I presume?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the symbol was illegal in Germany except for circumstances "educational and historical".
But the reality is that mostly likely scale models fall to the same category as toys in the eyes of the majority...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 05:26 AM UTC
Absolut correct, Eetu!

Quoted Text

But the reality is that mostly likely scale models fall to the same category as toys in the eyes of the majority...

and especially in jurisdiction.

There are more factors, but that would go much too far here.

Problem for me: German site, German Server, German Club ---> no Swastikas ... thats why I start to send some stuff to J-L for publishing as feature on Aeroscale. It is even worse with finish WW2 model ... 6 hakaristi to cover .. only have one finished Finnish Buffalo but not published yet

cheers

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's masking tape over swastikas in competions, I presume?
(

..some nice Luftwaffe models at the recent Berlin Gatow show here ..

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Gatow2008/index.html

.but not a swastika to be seen..

& no, sorry, I unfortunately can't provide a pic of Moritz and his black-cowled Sturmbock ..too bad..
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 05:55 AM UTC
I can surely relate to the situation. Not so cool from the point of view of a modeler.

I've noticed that on IPMS Deutschland's articles. Swastikas cut away from decal sheets, marking centers covered, etc.
But there's bloobers like this [url=http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Special_Hobby/SH_Fokker_DXXI_Mercury_48/SH_Fokker_DXXI_Mercury.html]Fokker D.XXI[/url.

I wonder what the manufacturers some times think. I got AML's 1:72 Hawk 75 kit, with French, German and Finnish marking options. German swastikas are in two pieces, but Finnish ones are intact...

I'd think the type of markings wouldn't matter less to those folks who want to get rid of swastikas.

It's like the blurring of nipples and bleeding out words, IMO...
Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 02:22 PM UTC
Popkov's La-5fn

Hi guys,

here's some pics of my 1/48 La-5fn

I did post them in the gallery as per the rules.

All the best.

Jean
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hi Jean!

Your La-5fn looks great!

The colors look spot one, especially the dark green with the hint of green... very well done.

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:05 PM UTC
Right on Jean, lets get back on topic!

Very nice Lawotschkin! (I avoided this markings because the guys at "Modelling the VVS" insisting it is a La-5F ... so I chickened out. )

Your model is really beautiful! I love it!!

@Eetu ..thanks for the hint .. it slipped through (there are surely more .. but I try). I also have problems to see Family von Rosens lucky sign/cote of arms as "Nazi" symbol ... but the German superiors do not distinguish ....

all the best

Steffen
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:38 PM UTC
Jean
I love your La5. I have that kit and only hope when I get a chance to build it, it looks that good. Congratulations on finishing.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:06 AM UTC
Well done Jean!
Another seat filled in the bar at the Officers Club!
Up to my neck in work at the moment, I wont see home for another month, but Im still keeping a watchfull eye on the campaign, even though I dont get chance to post as often as I'd like.
Keep up the great work everyone.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 07:13 AM UTC
2 months left and a quick sit-rep
We have 16 Aces posted photos in the gallery to qualify for a ribbon.
54 recruits have signed up.
Dont forget you must post a photo of your model and a photo of the real aircraft to qualify

ACES HIGH CAMPAIGN GALLERY

Good luck everyone!

Nige
Removed by original poster on 10/13/08 - 02:11:16 (GMT).
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 08:35 PM UTC
Molders 109d

Assembly completed and re scribed
img_0449.jpgimg_0465.jpgimg_0466.jpg

Painted and ready for decals
img_0475.jpgimg_0477.jpg
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:22 PM UTC
Oh boy, what a disaster! I did a panel wash tonight with tamiya acrylic thinned way down with isopropyl. Bad move! the iso cut right through 2 coats of future and the LichtBlau underside. Right down to the plastic. Looked a mess. V tempted to chuck the 109d at the wall. 1 B&H and a dram later.
I let it dry then re did the underside paint and touched up the decals. For the upper surface I used tamiya and washing up liquid for the panel wash and that was safe. Lesson learned. Practice everything on plastic stock first! Back on track, a few hours should finish it now. What a relief.
Just posting my experience so others won't do something so stupid

Nice pit by the way Yeti
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 04:55 PM UTC
Hi JP
Good to hear your back on track!
Some things you learn the easy way and others well,,,,,,,,
Anything containing isopropyl over Future/Klear is not recommended. I hope your experience helps others JP!
It also serves to show that even when something looks like it will be flying into a wall any second, walking away and calming down for a while and then coming back to the bench fresh makes a lot of difference.
Hang in there JP, theres anotehr wee dram waiting for you in the officers club!
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 09:51 PM UTC
Nice looking cockpit, Taylor. Looking forward to see more as the build progresses.

JP, good to hear you are back on track after your wash set back. I am sure the end result will look good. Hang in there! See you in the aces bar
Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi guys,

thanks for your comments on my La-5FN.

@Steffen

Quoted Text

Very nice Lawotschkin! (I avoided this markings because the guys at "Modelling the VVS" insisting it is a La-5F ... so I chickened out. )

The case was given a lenghty discussion in the Sovietwarplanes forum.
Conclusive evidence was shown proving it was a FN version. See here for more:
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=201.0

All the best.

Jean
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC
While I am still waiting my Sturmbocke to arrive from Japan, I decided to make one quick build.
It's Revell 1/72 Brewster Buffalo "Finnish Airforce". It's not correct kit for Finnish B-239, but I don't do any modifications because it would become too big operation.

This is going to depict Bw-393 flown by Lt. Hans "Hasse" Wind of 3./HLelv 24 (3./Fighter squadron 24). He has second most air victories among Finnish Aces and was awarded Twice with the Mannerheims Cross. He scored 39 of 75 Victories with Brewster. He flew Brewster 1941-1943 and Me 109 1943-1944, and wounded in summer of 1944, when hit by 37mm of Soviet airacobra. He obtained "Ace in a Day" status five times during Soviet attack on Karelian isthmus, shooting down 30 enemy planes in 12 while flying Me 109G-6 "Mt-201".

I still got work to do before paint, All bolts to be removed, fill seams and so on.
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 03:07 PM UTC
JP and Jesper: Thank you for the encouragement

I did get to spend a little time on the Mustang. Mostly filling in the wing panels and sanding. I hate sanding. I think these pictures are a little better. I still have not decided on which AC to make this. I am still leaning toward one of the 357th aces, but maybe something less common

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC
Geez, was my last progress with my entry really in June!?

It's about time I got something done.
Now after these additions, it's finally ready for priming:

The direction finding loop in the kit was quite robust, so I replaced it with brass wire. While handling the model, I managed to knock off the delicate antenna mount on the fin, I made a new one from some PE part. Not 100% accurate, but I figured that was the only way to securely gluing anything to the fin (and so it would withstand the wire added later) was gently prying the fuselage halves apart with a knife to make a slot for the part.
On the last photo is the rear portion of the canopy, to which I glued a replacement antenna made from a wing-cannon barrel included in the kit. The original went missing when removed from the sprue. It was quite thin so gluing the antenna wire to it would have been hard, so I guess it wasn't that big a loss, I guess. Btw, I really hope a dip in future will make that mark left by slip of a knife less visible. (pointed by the arrow)

Now it's time to mask the cocpit and spray on the primer.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:01 AM UTC
Preshading applied: